Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

The prose is highly arousing in nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

scamtank posted:

You could. The kitchen has always accepted custom reactions. Just define your wanted food items like sausages or pies or scones or fine wines in item_food.txt and have your own cookery broilery reactions call those as the end results instead of being just variants for the basic jobs. GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT should let the reagents name the end products like normal, too.

You could even stick ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT tokens in all sorts of meats and plants and other raw materials and just have a single "just make some goddamn grub" reaction. It'd randomly pick anything edible and it'd output bread or ribs or oatmeal depending on what the chef found that time.

The only real crimp is that the old basic reactions are still there, all bothersome like.

Oh dang, I didn't know that was possible, thanks! I'll have to play around with it when I have spare time.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Is it possible to remove the basic reactions or are they hardcoded/things break in myriad fun ways if you try?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

They're not even reactions in the sense that we understand it. They're just tasks, numbers in the same index with eating, tantruming and having strange moods.

However, DFHack does technically have something in the API for stripping hardcoded jobs from workshops. I'm saying technically because not only am I too poo poo at lua to work the command line, I thought I heard someone griping a while back that it was broken somehow. I managed to make some progress back in fall, but I think I hit a wall or something.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 3, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've given offerings to the caravan for two years now but the offerings value on the civ screen and on the 'becoming the capital' scene is at 0.

:(

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

my IRL job is sewer inspector and I'm hella disappointed that there is no dwarf fortress poop model. Imagine a communal toilet with a 'poo poo' fluid that you have to pipe out of the fortress or simply dump into the caverns below.
Toady has explicitly ruled out doing that. The kinds of horrors players would get up to with it does not bear thinking about.

Moridin920 posted:

I've given offerings to the caravan for two years now but the offerings value on the civ screen and on the 'becoming the capital' scene is at 0.

:(
I only did the offerings thing once back a few versions ago, but back then the game only counted stuff that your fortress has produced as offerings, so just loading up the caravans with offerings of whatever the goblins happened to be wearing when you killed them wouldn't count.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Snatcher snatched a babby:

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Snatcher snatched a babby:

For sale: ≡cave spider silk shoe≡, never worn.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
How can I make my militia wear metal boots instead of their own shoes?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Help I'm dumb and modding is hard :negative:

I'm trying to make foods that make more sense. As a simple test, I stuck this in the item_food file:

quote:

[ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_TEST]
[NAME:test]
[LEVEL:4]

And I put this in the reaction_other file:

quote:

[REACTION:MAKE_TEST]
[NAME:make test]
[BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_S]
[REAGENT:A:3:PLANT:NONE:NONE:NONE][UNROTTEN]
[REAGENT:B:1:MEAT:NONE:NONE:NONE][UNROTTEN]
[PRODUCT:100:4:FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_TEST:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:B:NONE]
[SKILL:COOK]

When the reaction is queued up, the dwarves gather up their ingredients and start cooking the item just fine, but when they're just about to finish it the game crashes. No output to the errorlog. There must be something wrong with the way I defined the product, but I'm not sure what it is.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

well gently caress me running

Quietust's diagnosis posted:

In all likelihood, the problem is that reactions cannot create the ingredients used to make the meal, and without the ingredients the meal has trouble determining what it's made of.

I was talking in good faith, though. :( Looks like that project's back on the shelf.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Valiantman posted:

How can I make my militia wear metal boots instead of their own shoes?

You have to make them replace clothing instead of wear over. Once all their gear is on, you can tell them to wear over clothing again and they'll put their old stuff back on over their armour.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

How many accidents have there been involving the exposed magma river?

I have only had a single death below ground to the magma, the worst dwarf killer is the bridge into the fortress above the volcano, Kea's would swoop down and peck at wandering dwarves, making them fall into the lava.

Here you got some goblins trying to get across the puke covered bridge.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mad Pills posted:

I have only had a single death below ground to the magma, the worst dwarf killer is the bridge into the fortress above the volcano, Kea's would swoop down and peck at wandering dwarves, making them fall into the lava.

Here you got some goblins trying to get across the puke covered bridge.

I guess they draw straws to decide who has to charge across next.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There's been a few more gifs in this thread lately and they're the best. Keep 'em coming.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I guess they draw straws to decide who has to charge across next.

They are definitely starting to pile up now, this tactic is sadly not very efficient versus the zombies.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Wouldn't a ballista with metal-tipped bolts placed at the other end of the bridge pulp almost anything you could face?

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Wouldn't a ballista with metal-tipped bolts placed at the other end of the bridge pulp almost anything you could face?

Ballistas do cutting damage right? If so then it would definitely help against the zombies.

I love the magma mist.

Bonus pic of a migrant not too pleased with the piles of rotting corpses.

the pole or the dole fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 3, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

The conventional wisdom is that a properly made dwarven ballista missile will turn two elephants into four smaller, deader elephants.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Cave crocodile was starting poo poo with the fisherdwarves until one of them kicked out all of its teeth. After that, all (edit: some of) the croc's attacks turned into this:

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 4, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PublicOpinion posted:

Cave crocodile was starting poo poo with the fisherdwarves until one of them kicked out all of its teeth. After that, all the croc's attacks turned into this:

Weird. I'd think the default push attack would still bruise unarmored dwarves just due to the size of a cave crocodile.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Weird. I'd think the default push attack would still bruise unarmored dwarves just due to the size of a cave crocodile.

Looking at the rest of the log in addition to the "no force!" attacks there were some deflected by clothing and actually a couple instances of bruising.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Has anyone found any good evil(lol) embarks? Ones that combine a good challenge and peril without instant death? It is really frustrating me trying to find one. My last embark was in an area of 75% terrifying biome and the only creatures to come though were some peach faces keas.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
Time to pit the Hydra against the captives from the last siege, this time I let them keep their puny weapons.

Welp, guess I should never underestimate goblins.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
Would Chinese characters work with ASCII? I just think it would be easier to recognise 狗 rather than "d"

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mad Pills posted:

Time to pit the Hydra against the captives from the last siege, this time I let them keep their puny weapons.

Welp, guess I should never underestimate goblins.

this gifs are the best. are you using fraps or?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

The Worst Muslim posted:

Would Chinese characters work with ASCII? I just think it would be easier to recognise 狗 rather than "d"

That would be amazing. You could go the route of making a tileset that consists of Chinese characters maybe, but I don't think that's what you're going for. Making them recognizable at 32x32 or less pixels might be hard.

scamtank posted:

well gently caress me running

I was talking in good faith, though. :( Looks like that project's back on the shelf.

Ah, no worries, and thanks for finding the issue. Someday!

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 4, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The Worst Muslim posted:

We're still restricted to 256 characters in ASCII. Codepage 437 is law.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

this gifs are the best. are you using fraps or?

I am using an old version of GifCam I had lying around, it's free and real easy to use.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I've never used it myself, but in the Making Games Megathread a lot of people use Gooncam for capturing gifs of gameplay footage. I think it's a GifCam fork? I'm not sure what the differences are. It's here, I'm pretty sure.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gooncam is super easy to use and great for capturing all sorts of dumb game moments.

Mom Party
Dec 12, 2015

Filthy Monkey posted:

God drat it, I make a new fort and I have a weretapir attack during the very first winter! I was still getting my defenses dug out. Why must my pig forts attract werebeasts?

This game is ending up more dangerous than I remember.

This is the third time this has happened. Now two of my dwarves are werecamels, as well.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Wereanimals would be a lot less goofy if they were restricted to carnivores.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Strudel Man posted:

And deprive us of Were Emus?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Strudel Man posted:

Bullshit. Herbivores can be just has horrifying as carnivores. Would you want to run into a werehippo?

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
Counterpoint: Weredwarf

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Internet Kraken posted:

Bullshit. Herbivores can be just has horrifying as carnivores. Would you want to run into a werehippo?

poo poo I wouldn't want to run into a normal hippo. Murderous fucks that lot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Has anyone found any good evil(lol) embarks? Ones that combine a good challenge and peril without instant death? It is really frustrating me trying to find one. My last embark was in an area of 75% terrifying biome and the only creatures to come though were some peach faces keas.

Honestly disappointed to see this, this was my problem with .40 too where I go to evil embarks or high savage embarks and the most threatening thing to come my way was when my horses went berserk from eating evil grass. I wanted to fight beakdogs and harpies and trolls, all I got were regular fauna like deer and giant versions of rodents.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
With evil embarks you etierh get normal, boring wildlife or zombie birds that you can't keep out divebombing and wrecking dwarves before you can react. I spent hours trying to find an evil embark that wasn't undead poo poo and I could not find one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
EDIT: ignore this post. Here's a chicken gif instead,

Mu. fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 4, 2016