Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I want to see a video of Chris Roberts doing a full mission as the pilot, co-pilot, gunner, engineer, and boarder of a starship. I want to see him justify how each part of his game is fun.

It'd have to be "post-launch" otherwise it would just be 45 minutes of him talking about stuff that wasn't implemented yet.

The problem is I can almost see how all of this stuff COULD be fun, that's what got me to buy into this thing in the beginning. The idea of being on a ship with a couple of your close friends, all running around and doing poo poo. It's just that the mechanics don't support it except for in tiny doses (boarding, for example, could be hilariously fun - but that's not counting the 4 hours of staring at the inside of a Cutlass) and they support it far less when you're playing with a bunch of randos you don't actually know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

also worth keeping in mind that the character models for the other games looked about that good at least a year before final release in trade show demonstrations.

SQ42 is supposed to come out this year.

It's an instance where the "but it's allllppphhaaa" bleating doesn't work at all.

BUT CROBERTS SAID THE FACE RIGS WERE NOT FINAL. STOP RUINING MY DREAM.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
so, remember when they said that SQ42 completion would award you with special poo poo in the PU and all? Watch as that disappears because dads et all can't be bothered to play through the 'experience'

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
SQ42 is released, it's nothing by badly mocapped cutscenes, 5 minutes of "game", 15 minutes of cutscene. The story is probably the oldman guy was the bad guy all along and mark hamill warned us all and we didn't listen. The cliff hanger is someone is a spy for the blac...I mean the vandualls or whatever, and it turns out to be gillian anderson.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You're being generous. Alpha-SC is a race just to find the asteroid before a crash.

also a race to fly off the station before getting rammed by goon natured people

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EminusSleepus posted:

also a race to fly off the station before getting rammed by goon natured people

If you think about it, aren't they really the same?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Luckily nobody will interrupt this delicate process.

Or sabotage it. I wonder what happens if you start shooting these asteroids which will apparently catastrophically explode if hit with too much energy.

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm willing to bet that SQ42 is entirely divorced from what we're seeing on the PTU. My guess is they're using the code branch that birthed the current iteration of Arena Commander, mixed with some of the suddenly MIA Space Marine (my hypothesis here - sudden dropping of Space Marine, yet denying it's gone, followed by radio silence - my guess, the code was handed over to SQ42 devs with orders to "make this poo poo work in the single-player game"). The Manchester studio is the one working on SQ42 as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) and my guess is they've gotten the most recent sort-of-working code base for the above 2 modules, and they're going to work on that in a vacuum, cobbling together both of those shitheaps along with whatever mocap bullshit Chris sends over to them.

No PTU code will be in SQ42, and nothing released in SQ42 is going to make its way to the PTU. The work on SQ42 is to fulfill one goal and one goal only - to nullify legal action and keep their financials sealed.

That would not shock me one bit, although they supposedly need the 64 bit code to make it open world.

Beet Wagon posted:

It'd have to be "post-launch" otherwise it would just be 45 minutes of him talking about stuff that wasn't implemented yet.

The problem is I can almost see how all of this stuff COULD be fun, that's what got me to buy into this thing in the beginning. The idea of being on a ship with a couple of your close friends, all running around and doing poo poo. It's just that the mechanics don't support it except for in tiny doses (boarding, for example, could be hilariously fun - but that's not counting the 4 hours of staring at the inside of a Cutlass) and they support it far less when you're playing with a bunch of randos you don't actually know.

Precisely. Multi-crew sounds awesome... until you see how they intend to implement it. Same with mining, boarding, salvaging, etc. I think it's a perfect example of the conflict between those who want to make a high quality game, and whatever simulated immersion CR is infatuated with.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Or sabotage it. I wonder what happens if you start shooting these asteroids which will apparently catastrophically explode if hit with too much energy.

Now I'm hoping they try for a mostly/completely player driven economy. Resource collection will be so complicated that everyone's ships will be destroyed before anyone was able to collect enough space-metal to rebuild a single ship. Everyone will be stuck driving go-carts around the station.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If you think about it, aren't they really the same?

yeah!

I also tried bumping to those spergs who are in the console so it will cancel whatever they are trying to do lol.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

D_Smart posted:

....and has over 25 years of martial arts training (which, unless you're in my Facebook page, you probably wouldn't know). So there is that.

Well, possibly. I mean, there's 'martial arts'

...and there's Martial Arts

I guess it depends on which you went with

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EminusSleepus posted:

yeah!

I also tried bumping to those spergs who are in the console so it will cancel whatever they are trying to do lol.

Lol

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6196819/#Comment_6196819

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lol, as if the bike wouldn't collapse under the Citizen's weight in said analogy.

Also

quote:

CiG isn't greedy like EA or Blizzard...

Someone go post this in that thread

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Does anyone have access to PACER? As I came across this from 2007

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/california/cacdce/2:2007cv03374/389251

quote:

Terence L Young v. Roberts Filmed Entertainment Inc et al
Cause of Action: 29:1132 E.R.I.S.A.-Employee Benefits

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Luckily nobody will interrupt this delicate process.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6195721/#Comment_6195721

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

"and somedays, I just want to spray-paint 'PLEASE GRIEF ME' in big red letters on the side of my ship..."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: Tease the crater to refine minerals

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Heads up: If your sole ambition in life is to float around chipping away at rocks please don't ever invite me to a party or interact with me in any way once the game successfully launches this year, thanks

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

By the way, was access to the SQ42 alpha ever part of the deal in terms of stretch goals? I mean, it seems weird that SQ42 will be coming out before Star Citizen but there's no mention of an alpha for it. Like, is SQ42 even in alpha at this point?

:iiam: Every time a story was done on it, SQ42 was basically described since it was not ready to be presented. Its impossible to tell how far along it is, especially with the interview with the composer reworking a scene like 30 times.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
In so excited for EDs multi crew this year. More for the cultist reaction than actually playing it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Dapper Dan posted:

:iiam: Every time a story was done on it, SQ42 was basically described since it was not ready to be presented. Its impossible to tell how far along it is, especially with the interview with the composer reworking a scene like 30 times.

And that was just the music for the latest CIG teaser video

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 4, 2016

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

miners and explorers are very good people to piss off. they have this dream game where they can mine/explorer without any dangers of being gank.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

As someone who once tried to play EVE I can understand the interest in making mining a more engaging experience.

I suspect they do not actually know how to achieve that properly. Sadly.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I just realized that the spaceships made a thousand years in the future have a top speed that is a fraction of the Earth's escape velocity and need a dues ex machina to travel at speeds attainable by current spacecraft.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Roflan posted:

I just realized that the spaceships made a thousand years in the future have a top speed that is a fraction of the Earth's escape velocity and need a dues ex machina to travel at speeds attainable by current spacecraft.

Yup!

Most spaceships have a cruising/fighting speed that is actually slower than mid-war World War 2 planes (Like the Bf-109G variant)

Gives you an idea of what Chris thinks about the future.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen: Find asteroid. Scan asteroid to find center of mass and scan for analysis impact point. Fire analysis missile, manually guiding into indicated angle and location of impact. If analysis package insertion is successful, utilize mining beam to cut apart asteroid as guided by the material concentrations determined by the analytical materials processor. Avoid tragedy by using exothermic reaction detector to precisely determine beam power and avoid inadvertent explosion from thermally sensitive materials while simultaneously using laser seismometer to avoid detonating shock sensitive materials. Use fragment scanner to determine chunks of interest and then use a combination of tractor and repulsor beams to precisely control fragments of interest into input port. Optionally use refinery to control a series of specialized processing units to extract minerals of interest and reduce cargo space. Sell minerals on market.
You left out the part where you EVA onto the asteroid to mine diamonds by hand.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

"and somedays, I just want to spray-paint 'PLEASE GRIEF ME' in big red letters on the side of my ship..."
Krill01 is quite the carebear.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6196187/#Comment_6196187

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6196963/#Comment_6196963

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6197041/#Comment_6197041

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

you missed the dude with the glowing teeth bro

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

the hamster never asked for this

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

More mining fantasies by another carebear.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6194161/#Comment_6194161

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
'gently caress you got mine'
In a couple of different ways, impressive

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I know it's not surprising anyone but it never ceases to amaze me that the only design information or how the game may work is coming from posts like that. There's not a word from CIG aside from Chris saying yes to everything anyone asks him once a week

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sankis posted:

I know it's not surprising anyone but it never ceases to amaze me that the only design information or how the game may work is coming from posts like that. There's not a word from CIG aside from Chris saying yes to everything anyone asks him once a week

They are in a unique position now where finalising anything will stop the rampant fantasising and also potentially make people think 'Well, that ship isn't for me I won't buy it'

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sorry but space mining is the gayest poo poo and shooting dudes is the funnest

That's why I like elite and will buy eve when it comes out.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ffycchi posted:

I hate to say this...but I would actually enjoy being a navigator or a shields operator...knowing you hold the life of your pals in your hands by your ability is a challenging and fun aspect to me.

Since quite frankly....as much fun as it would be to shove an aurora in an idris's rear end in a top hat...after a few times, it would lose its fun value.

These are the kind of things that sound interesting in theory, but in practice you would sit there bored out of your mind for like 90% of the time as a shield operator (or repairman, or whatever). I mean, how interesting can they possibly make operating your shields? Is it like some sort of neverending QTE?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

You know, all they had to do was give people the option to be a mechanic, like in Battlefield, let them run up to your ship and fire the lasers themselves, and legions of players would do just that, and ONLY that. It would at least be something.

Back in the days of the original Tribes, I was all about the repair pack. I had just the best time repairing base guns and generators etc. So few people bothered, so it was awesome when people thought they had the place on lockdown, were running for the flag, and suddenly all the base defenses would come online and level every last one of them. I didn't get kill credit for that, but it was awesome nonetheless.

drat I miss that game.

I used to play Tribes under the ID EngineerPrime. Other than the sniper rifle, one guess what I did... Also, in the original Planetside some friends and I created a guild that did nothing but resupply friendly bases with nanites...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
"OK it looks like we need some shields. I will press this SHIELDS button.
Captain, is there any time where not having a shield is a preferential state?
No? What, never? Hmmmm, OK, well I get the logic, I mean, having a shield is better than not having a shield. It's a bit of a no brainer now I think of it.
You know, that was one of those things that made sense as soon as I said it, jeez, sorry guys ignore me, I'm pretty new to all this"

*Stares at screen, leaves shields on*

"Is there ever a time when having a little less shields is a good thing, like just a touch less?
Nope? OK, no problem"

*Stares at screen*

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
"All shields currently at 100% captain, looking good.
Sir, I think it would be wise to put the shields to 99% on the starboard side, just for a moment, I have a slider thingy I think to let me do that right here.
No? OK, no problem"

*Stares at slider*

"Can we jus-
OK, no problem, howeve-
OK, shields at 100% as requested captain"

*Stares at slider*

"Si-"

*Stares at slider*

"S-"

*Stares at slider*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Being a dedicated gunner in Il-2 Sturmovik meant three things.

1. You could probably kill enemy aircraft as efficiently as the AI, if not better.
2. You had to cope with the fact that, like any mission worth its data, you spent a lot of time waiting for poo poo to happen
3. You had the distinct ability to shoot yourself down.

Seriously, doing a 3-hour mission as a non-combat pilot or a gunner is loving boring as hell if you don't have anything to do or anyone to talk to. Even the shorter missions could start to annoy you.

Now imagine spending hours upon hours of mining or gardening or whatever the hell else where its 10% fun and 90% tedium.

And at the end of the day you gain virtually nothing for the time you've spent.

At least I knew I wasn't gaining anything in Il-2.

• Locked thread