Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Cups and spoons are bullshit for baking though, it really has to be by mass to get any sort of decent repeatability and consistency.
Only if your milk and flour suddenly changes in density for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Milk is consistent enough at the same temperature, but flour?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

Milk is consistent enough at the same temperature, but flour?
Sift your flour like a normal person.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sentient Data posted:

recipes are all spelled out in exactly what's needed

Unless you're following a recipe from another country. If a recipe tells you to use "a cup" of whatever, it might mean 200ml, 227ml, 237ml, 240ml, 250ml, or 284ml. Generally not an issue if you're using a recipe from a book published in your country, but if you got it from the internet then it could be from anywhere, even if the site you found it on is from your country. It might just have been copied verbatim from some other site.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Unless you're following a recipe from another country. If a recipe tells you to use "a cup" of whatever, it might mean 200ml, 227ml, 237ml, 240ml, 250ml, or 284ml. Generally not an issue if you're using a recipe from a book published in your country, but if you got it from the internet then it could be from anywhere, even if the site you found it on is from your country. It might just have been copied verbatim from some other site.

Yes. But it won't matter since you'd be using that same "cup" for the other ingredients as well. The proportions are correct which is the important thing. I worked in bakeries from 16 to 19. You're using your own set of cups, tbs, tsp, etc then even if you wind up with more or less is still going to be the same.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yes. But it won't matter since you'd be using that same "cup" for the other ingredients as well. The proportions are correct which is the important thing. I worked in bakeries from 16 to 19. You're using your own set of cups, tbs, tsp, etc then even if you wind up with more or less is still going to be the same.

It's possible for a recipe to use more than one measure, though. A single recipe might call for a cup of sugar, a pound of cherries, and a 12-inch pie crust, and those aren't going to be in the right proportions if your cup suddenly doubles in size.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Guys, we literally fought a war to cast off our foreign rulers. Why bring them back now?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Solice Kirsk posted:

Then you hit the part of the recipe where it starts asking for tablespoons and you're hosed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"Heaped" tablespoon.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Bobby Digital posted:

Guys, we literally fought a war to cast off our foreign rulers. Why bring them back now?

I enjoyed that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is not going to work if the recipe ever uses an absolute measure of any other ingredient.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bobby Digital posted:

The British are also really poo poo at the metric system. Like everything sciency uses it but people still measure weight in stone like a bunch of cavemen.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Most metric/SI countries will have a few weird exceptions. Canada still uses calories instead of kilojoules and Australia still uses imperial measurements for fast food, marijuana and the weight of newborn babies.

I find it kind of interesting that American English has its own spelling for metre/meter, and litre/liter given that America doesn't actually use the metric system.

e: before this starts a boring-rear end derail, calories are technically from an archaic form of the metric system

Vladimir Poutine has a new favorite as of 11:11 on Jan 4, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In the Netherlands, in old-timey grocery stores, you can buy stuff in pounds and ounces. Of course, a pound is exactly 500 grams and an ounce is exactly 100 grams.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Australia still uses imperial measurements for fast food, marijuana and the weight of newborn babies.

Eh? Yeah we use pounds/ounces for babies and I can see drugs being weighed in imperial (although none of the drug dealers I knew did) but fast food? I can only think of the Quarter Pounder burger from McDonalds, and that's the name of the burger, not it's actual weight or an actual measurement. Liquids are are in mLs and food is by grams/kilograms or just "bucket" if you have a poo poo-tonne of KFC chicken.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Australia still uses imperial measurements for fast food
Pretty sure most people just think of a "quarter-pounder" as a McDonald's burger and don't associate it with weight. I'm pretty sure I've heard baby weights given in kgs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're still being given in imperial as well. But I don't know why people share the weight of babies anyway. "Seven pounds three ounces!" Is that good? What am I supposed to do with that information?

princecoo posted:

I can only think of the Quarter Pounder burger from McDonalds, and that's the name of the burger, not it's actual weight or an actual measurement.
I don't know how much a quarter of a pound is (or even whether that's meant to be the weight of the whole thing or just the meat), but I would have thought it would have to be accurate or it'd be false advertising, wouldn't it?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Carbon dioxide posted:

In the Netherlands, in old-timey grocery stores, you can buy stuff in pounds and ounces. Of course, a pound is exactly 500 grams and an ounce is exactly 100 grams.

Yeah my German grandma also sometimes talks in pounds and stuff but in that case too they just correspond to a round number of grams. Probably also 500 g for a "Pfund".

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

princecoo posted:

Eh? Yeah we use pounds/ounces for babies and I can see drugs being weighed in imperial (although none of the drug dealers I knew did) but fast food? I can only think of the Quarter Pounder burger from McDonalds, and that's the name of the burger, not it's actual weight or an actual measurement. Liquids are are in mLs and food is by grams/kilograms or just "bucket" if you have a poo poo-tonne of KFC chicken.

I was mostly thinking of pizza size and sub length.

Anyway, here are some bad charts

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Wait, so in 2007, a full quarter of American children didn't even get high school level education?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I find it kind of interesting that American English has its own spelling for metre/meter, and litre/liter given that America doesn't actually use the metric system.

Briefly: this is because "meter" was a pre-existing word in English, and when the French introduced the metric system, the English chose to use the French words (metre, litre) while the Americans chose to standardize "liter" on the existing "meter", probably under Noah Webster's influence.

Forgall posted:

Wait, so in 2007, a full quarter of American children didn't even get high school level education?

That does feel a little high, but keep in mind that high school has two endpoints: 1) get your diploma, or 2) reach the age where you can drop out. A lot of kids drop out so they can get a job during the day to help out their families, to join the military (I actually don't know if you can get into the military without a diploma, but it's a pretty common idea in fiction, at least), etc. Also, that number includes non-traditionally-schooled children (like homeschoolers) who got the education but don't technically qualify for a diploma.

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 13:21 on Jan 4, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

On the Quarter Pounder, the various patty sizes are called something like 3:1 and 4:1 etc., which could be ratios of a pound? :shrug:

This has to be fake. Come on. Please. :negative:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm no professional theologian, but shouldn't "praying in tongues"and "praying in own language" be swapped? I'd imagine one's own language is much more connected to the physicalthan the other

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

On the Quarter Pounder, the various patty sizes are called something like 3:1 and 4:1 etc., which could be ratios of a pound? :shrug:

I just saw it on tumblr but yeah, a quick check suggests it's fake
http://bl.ocks.org/curran/60a1ba782ce09cf2091e

quote:

A small multiples visualization of polar area charts showing the breakdown of religions for all countries. This is a variation derived from example 30 from the screencast Splitting Charts.

This visualization is useless, in the sense that it is not very readable. It has many issues, such as occlusion, but it does show the data for all countries on earth. This example gives a starting point for exploring how this data can be visualized more effectively.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

AlphaKretin posted:

That one is so beautiful.

I like the book one because it's a nice reflection of the Fox news curve about unemployment where they also gently caress with the scale to exaggerate the effect.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The worst offender re: units is the kilopound, 1000 pounds

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:eyepop:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks to http://viz.wtf/, still a constant source for bad graphs.

Build Your Own Boat
Sep 11, 2006

Drink this

Now you're like me.

This one makes perfect sense. 54% of white people are raging. 43% of Latinos are raging. And 33% of black people are raging.

I don't know why they divided up the raging people by race, though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sure but how the gently caress do the black bars total into things? It's an accidental graph.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ramos posted:

Sure but how the gently caress do the black bars total into things? It's an accidental graph.

The bars are telling you how much rage it feels like. Sort of like wind chill.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Sloober posted:

The bars are telling you how much rage it feels like. Sort of like wind chill.

Fewer African Americans are raging significantly more. Got it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Definitely one of the dumbest things I've read in a while. Measure by weight, dummies.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Not really bad, just kind of out of context.
MST = Minimal Spanning Tree, Out degree is how many edges point out of a node, which is important in these kind of things, and I guess then having nodes both be bigger AND redder when the outdegree is higher is helpful. But what is the graph for? Why is the legend in english and the nodes labelled with foreign characters?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Heres what I think of your sifting BULL poo poo *pounds down flour into measuring cup* its a metaphor of your intelligence level, fucko

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Acne Rain posted:

Not really bad, just kind of out of context.
MST = Minimal Spanning Tree, Out degree is how many edges point out of a node, which is important in these kind of things, and I guess then having nodes both be bigger AND redder when the outdegree is higher is helpful. But what is the graph for? Why is the legend in english and the nodes labelled with foreign characters?

I thought it was some weird chart about which character/radical gets combined with the other, but someone who knows more about Japanese (or Chinese??) will probably have more to say.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Heres what I think of your sifting BULL poo poo *pounds down flour into measuring cup* its a metaphor of your intelligence level, fucko
D-drat... my anything-goes American-style baking technique was defeated?! Impossible!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Jyrraeth posted:

I thought it was some weird chart about which character/radical gets combined with the other, but someone who knows more about Japanese (or Chinese??) will probably have more to say.

I'm thinking you're probably right since some of them are bits that are only used as parts of characters and I can't really think of another context where that makes sense in that style of graph, but I'm definitely leaning towards Chinese because it's only hanzi/kanji and no katakana or anything.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

US Americans abbreviate North Dakota as Nd?