Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

There actually is a detect crashes option somewherein XP's arcane UI, I've had flights end due to, among other things:

Engine fires
Birdstrikes
flap overspeed
aircraft overspeed
bouncing a prop off the tamac
etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Ok, managed to find "Reset on hard crash" under operations and warnings. I'm a chump no more.

d-liquor
Aug 18, 2009

Now Tayne I can get into!
Sent a request for goon air, time to fly a c182!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
does FSE support x-plane on OS X?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
No idea, I think the client for x-plane is in game so probably?

EDIT: also some guy was asking for a fix for a plane in FSE and it was 8 bucks and I figured if I did a good job of it maybe I could start fixing lovely FSE planes on the side so I bought it.

Now I have a set of pretty terrible Otters.

I also managed to fix it up for FSE, get permission from the developer to publish it (gently caress flight sim communities for making me do this poo poo but if I just went and posed a ZIP someone would have narced on me to the developers, RCMP, FBI Interpol the queen and the pope).

The devs, VirtualCol, now want to talk to the FSE guys as they have some sort of VA support program and say that while it's not a VA they could see themselves working with FSE to sort out any other compatibility issues and Im talking to them about the problems with their Otter and might actually help them fix it because it needs a lot of work. Gonna ask for a small consulting fee for the work I've done.

Also going to start fixing poo poo for FSE users for in game money.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 2, 2016

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
It should, the X-plane client is written in Python

https://sites.google.com/site/fseoperationsguide/getting-started/using-the-fse-client

and

https://sites.google.com/site/fseoperationsguide/getting-started/using-the-fse-client/x-plane

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

excellent

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So is anyone interested in helping me get a Cherokee 180 from Puerto Rico up to the Muskokas? I just bought one for a song.

EDIT: Megadyptes check your FSE PMs I'm gonna do you a solid and lease you my Super Cub.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 2, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That Economy thing finally got me to take a serious look at X-plane and similar and holy crap, :psypop: I always thought EvilJoven was kind of joking about buying all that DLC. I was kind of interested in it, but I definitely can't justify buying all sorts of whizbang add-ons or or :20bux:+ planes with my income. Especially with only a casual interest and I'm just as likely to play it for a couple weeks then drop it.

And I thought Rise of Flight's DLC was bad.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That Economy thing finally got me to take a serious look at X-plane and similar and holy crap, :psypop: I always thought EvilJoven was kind of joking about buying all that DLC. I was kind of interested in it, but I definitely can't justify buying all sorts of whizbang add-ons or or :20bux:+ planes with my income. Especially with only a casual interest and I'm just as likely to play it for a couple weeks then drop it.

And I thought Rise of Flight's DLC was bad.

Give the X-Plane demo a whirl. Its got a decent free 747, SR 71 among other things. Good to see if flight simming is your bag.

But remember for true flight sims, its like buying a platform such as X-box or a Playstation. The airplanes are like the games. The planes that typically come with the flight sim are the bargain basement stuff that nobody would pay for.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The default baron on xplane is quite good.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Quite frankly, if you don't want to throw a ton of money at stuff you can still get a decent setup and have a lot of fun with just FSX/X-Plane and free addons.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I've been downloading a poo poo load of freeware since flying around in FSE, some of it's poo poo but some are pretty good. Here's a spreadsheet from the FSE forums listing all the planes in the server's database plus links to freeware/payware for FS9/X and X-Plane. And cheers for lending me the Super Cub, EJ :toot:

e; forgot to actually paste the link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Es4FpdXkT3Y4es9B5shOSvioBQt3AHBG6jPwHwNSWfc/edit#gid=1187173282

d-liquor
Aug 18, 2009

Typically how long does it take to get a FSE world account generated? I'm hyped but they haven't sent me anything after the original request post on the community forum.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Usually 1-2 days.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Megadyptes just bought a 172 in game so before I go give him free use of one does anyone want a free short term lease on a fully equipped Super Cub based out of CFR5(CPX4 in game)?

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If I owned a half-decent super cub, yes. I've never found one from a site that doesn't scream "sketchy-as-hell" to me though.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Reminds me.... just a few days after I flew my C182 over to CPX4/CFR5, I got the ORBX PNW scenery pack on christmas sale and am flying it out that-aways, if anyone's wondering where it went :) Probably should have grabbed the Cherokee when it was on sale too, maybe next time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

SoapyTarantula posted:

If I owned a half-decent super cub, yes. I've never found one from a site that doesn't scream "sketchy-as-hell" to me though.

Oh my god get the Flight Replicas Super Cub Ultra http://www.fspilotshop.com/flight-replicas-super-cub-ultra-p-3702.html this one is the pinnacle of wheeled super cubs and is so fun to use.

And/Or the IFR Amphib http://www.fspilotshop.com/flight-replicas-super-cub-deluxe-ifr-amphibious-p-2445.html if you want a really really good amphib you can put an entire AP panel in to (I have that done already btw, it's in my mediafire).

The Complete Pack http://www.fspilotshop.com/flight-replicas-super-cub-complete-package-p-2476.html that does include the IFR cub but doesn't include the Ultra.

I'd honestly get just the Ultra and IFR Amphib, the ones in the Complete Pack are really good but unless you're me you don't need a dozen different variants of the Super Cub.

EDIT: Also if you do buy this make sure you put my gauge in to have the alternator turned on automatically or you'll drain the battery, there's no switch.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 3, 2016

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

sellouts posted:

The default baron on xplane is quite good.

The 172 is as well actually.

That Baron is perfection though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thanks for all the comments. I was mostly interested in FSE as a sort of "Euro Truck Sim: Airplane edition" casual thing rather than something more dedicated, so I'll think about it (though the steam sale ends soon).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It is super chill and doesn't require much. Pick a plane, pick a location that has it for rent, pick jobs that go to an airport and fly. Simple

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thanks for all the comments. I was mostly interested in FSE as a sort of "Euro Truck Sim: Airplane edition" casual thing rather than something more dedicated, so I'll think about it (though the steam sale ends soon).

Spend a fiver (or however much X-Plane wants if you opt for that) and it's literally all you'll need to do FSE.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 3, 2016

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Man, microsoft flight could have had the market cornered on the chillax flying eurotruck simulator market. If it just focused on doing shuttle flights around the Hawaiian islands and spent their dev time on making things look pretty and a whole bunch of high detailed GA aircraft and flying boats with appropriate missions such as sight seeing, rescue, cargo delivery, etc. Like Sim Copter but for planes.

You know, cools stuff instead of flying through rings. Why is it always rings. Did they hire the dev team that did sonic the hedgehog after fireing Aces?

Oh what could have been.

T800
Jul 2, 2009
Submitted an application/request/thingy for the Goon Air member group. I was in it before but I think I got kicked? Anyways, been having a lot of fun spending five hours plotting and making flight plans for FSE flights and then coming back the next day and all my assignments are expired gently caress me.

I have discovered that flying a Saab 340B around Finland appears to be a great way to print money. Shame the only freeware one I could find for X-Plane requires all external apps/instruments to fly it because the ones in the plane look like they're from a N64 game.

Anyways, it definitely seems like if you want to make cash fast to own your own small plane you've gotta look towards renting the bigger ones for as cheap as possible and flying the hell out of them. Just watch out for that rear end in a top hat that decides to rent it while you're sleeping to ferry one passenger 500NM and run out of gas on some highway strip with no fuel in sight.

Anyone have any experience with the all-in flights? Seems like it might be a less hassle way of accomplishing this same thing.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

T800 posted:

Anyone have any experience with the all-in flights? Seems like it might be a less hassle way of accomplishing this same thing.

I've done one or two this week and I don't make nearly enough money as I do renting a DC3. I think I'll do one if I want to set it and forget about it for a couple hours, but if I'm actively flying it isn't worth it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah some guy has a 340 for rent for super cheap and no bonus that has been living in Scandinavia for a while. I left it in Lithuania yesterday.

The X-Aviation Saab 340A is expensive but super good. You might give it a look if you are flying that same plane over and over.

e: Looking at the log I see that you already know about the plane :)

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 3, 2016

d-liquor
Aug 18, 2009

Has anyone done the All-In type jobs?

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They only really exist to fly the big tube liners, as FSE is focused on general aviation aircraft. You aren't going to make lots of fakeplanebucks with them, but its a nice change sometimes.

d-liquor
Aug 18, 2009

SoapyTarantula posted:

They only really exist to fly the big tube liners, as FSE is focused on general aviation aircraft. You aren't going to make lots of fakeplanebucks with them, but its a nice change sometimes.

Ah I see, how do they compare pay-wise vs a smaller rented aircraft? Also, how much better really is owning vs. renting say a cessna 172/182 for just my own use (as opposed to renting to others, I feel like there isn't much net-gain after maintenance etc)?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I now have the permission of a payware developer and a few freeware developers to do whatever the hell I want with their code and redistribute it as addons/modifications, as long as it can be distributed as a separate package.. I can even charge FSE money for them, but not real dough.

I also found out that for non-commercial releases you can redistribute Micrsoft's stock code and gauge bitmaps and whatnot.

There's an offer on the table for someone to shell out and buy me about $70 worth of high quality FSX helicopters so I can *try* and make them compatible with FSE because he wants to use them that badly in game.

And possibly gigs with a very minor payware developer to either fix their stuff (oh god some of the stuff that qualifies as payware) or just make it more compatible with FSE so they can host the files on their own websites and advertise as 'FS Economy compatible' or something.

Neat.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

d-liquor posted:

Ah I see, how do they compare pay-wise vs a smaller rented aircraft? Also, how much better really is owning vs. renting say a cessna 172/182 for just my own use (as opposed to renting to others, I feel like there isn't much net-gain after maintenance etc)?

You'll probably make the same amount or maybe very slightly more. If you're really just wanting the money then shuffling people around in a 208 all day is the easiest way (~10k fakeplanebucks for a fully loaded 60-80 nm on average I've found).

As for owning vs renting: Maintenance isn't actually that much, its almost always under 5k fakeplanebucks. You're not likely to make a big profit (or one at all unless you own a 208) but it isn't actually a major drain on your FSE bank. Owning the plane is nice if you would like to always have something to fly somewhere you enjoy flying, but with more common planes like the 172/182 its usually pretty easy to find one to rent anyways.

Either option ultimately comes down to if you find it neat to own a virtual aircraft.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Most people charge 2-3x the maintenance hourly rate as a dry rental fee. So you do save a bit of money buying a plane, if it's a model you fly a lot and in a profitable region. Of course nothing stops you from having one and still renting when you need something bigger.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Aerosoft should be releasing their CRJ700/900 soon, I hope it's decent. I might aim toward that in FSE, but I'm kind of torn as stumbling across 40-70 pax isn't exactly a regular occurance. Might just stick with a B1900D or something.

e: I really need to relearn the JS41 and Dash 8 again.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 4, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

"Soon"

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Aaaaand I'm getting all sorts of terrain.dll CTD's when loading certain aircraft from the free flight menu. Great. I thought I fixed this the other day but apparently not.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Diet Crack posted:

Aerosoft should be releasing their CRJ700/900 soon, I hope it's decent.

If it's built around the same code as their A318/19/20/21 it will be.

Not PMDG-level quality, but up there.

Alos, my brother got me the Pro version of Majestic's Dash 8. That thing is PMDG-level.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Kilonum posted:

If it's built around the same code as their A318/19/20/21 it will be.

Not PMDG-level quality, but up there.

It's not. They are working with a second company which is why it is months overdue with no release date in sight. If they figure out the fmc code it should be a little more complex than the airbusses.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Ok so the Carenado B1900D for X-Plane is definitely one of their best works. It seems they figured out how to optimize their already excellent King Air models for better FPS. It has a decent payload, range, and speed for FSE and you can still stick-and-rudder it into some pretty tinny strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d-liquor
Aug 18, 2009

got my account activated and did my first 3 pax flight in a c172. Went really well and pocketed $1500! Decided to try a second and the destination runway was on water and I crashed it, oopsies