Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MMD3 posted:

Thanks, someone just linked me to this post.

ID# 1108 here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/3wsuq1/store_kanes_middleman_services_and_megastore_more/

Looks like he's listing one for $415. what?

The only difference as far as I can tell is that my Hornet Ghost upgrade has not been applied to the Hornet associated with my LTI Colonel account yet so they could be gifted separately it seems.

He's got thousands in ships, you think he wants to admit he's lost money? It's like ebay, you can list poo poo at whatever price you want, doesn't mean anyone is going to pay it. You might get $350 if someone is stupid and to be fair there's no shortage of stupid Star Citizen people, but personally I'd just be happy to get my money back at this point. List the upgrade + the colonel as two items, basic colonel is more attractive than a ghost colonel for some reason (or at least used to be) but you still want the guy to hopefully throw in the extra credits for the upgrade, or keep it to melt it for a cheap basic package once the colonel sells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

This is me when I try to play Star Citizen.

Voting for this to be the default avatar of any true believers that show up.

Rudager posted:

I was playing Elite this morning and in the middle of killing some NPC's when the power went out for about 2 seconds, I was worried that I might have lost some bounties and have to buy back my ship for a few thousand credits, imagine what it's going to be like when that happens to someone in the middle of a dogfight with their fancy Idris?

I can't stand the place for more than 5 seconds but if some brave person could go on safari to the SC forum and find someone who has both complained about Elite being a boring grind and advocated grinding in Shart Shitizen that'd be lovely.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

alphabettitouretti posted:

This is me when I try to play Star Citizen.

Voting for this to be the default avatar of any true believers that show up.

I can't stand the place for more than 5 seconds but if some brave person could go on safari to the SC forum and find someone who has both complained about Elite being a boring grind and advocated grinding in Shart Shitizen that'd be lovely.

I grabbed horizons and made the mistake of talking to my starvangelist friend about it, and his argument that elite was a bad business model for charging 60 a year for expansions and content was somehow better then star citizen's jpeg sales got brought up again. he talked a mean game about 'useless grind' as well.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

G0RF posted:

She's kept a surprisingly low profile the last month-- avoiding Reverse the Verse for weeks, letting Ben handle AtV solo. I've missed her.

At least we got that fantastic episode of "Ask Sandi" last month. That was a goldmine- and her appearance on "Fortnightly Frontier" was pretty awesome, too.

So winsome, humble and honest to a fault. How can anyone not love her? She made all this possible-- she gave hundreds of thousands of losers a reason to live again, to believe in the power of dreams again. Human connections have been forged by the thousands -- thanks to her efforts, her talents, her passion. Why wouldn't we be faithful until death to a woman like that?

She did it-- all of it-- and it was really only possible because she's not just any woman-- she's ten in one. And it's not arrogant in the slightest for her to remind us of that constantly. Or Chris, for that matter. It's the truth.

She is the Star in Star Citizen -- and lest you doubt it...

Why the gently caress do they have 100 DSLRs to create a SFM mesh, when you can get the exact same result from a few GoPros?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Barnsy posted:

Why the gently caress do they have 100 DSLRs to create a SFM mesh, when you can get the exact same result from a few GoPros?

It's not as though they are spending their own money on them. Free sperg money means that they can buy only the best

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Barnsy posted:

the fabric of our dreams is not something to be trifled with

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Omi-Polari posted:

Whenever I see pics of Sandi I think of Aphex Twin.

Checks out.

Barnsy posted:

This is her dream. Loads of cameras just pointed at her, all the time, forever.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Tippis posted:

FTL does meaningful multi-crew better than any other game. :colbert:

I like to laugh at SC as much as anyone, but that just can't be real. I refuse to accept it.
It looks filtered and/or as if it was upscaled or taken while the model was outside your depth-of-field or something. Please tell me that's at least somewhat skewed in how it was set up.

:eng99:

Dude have you not seen the video? holy poo poo, just in case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

MMD3 posted:

Thanks, someone just linked me to this post.

ID# 1108 here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/3wsuq1/store_kanes_middleman_services_and_megastore_more/

Looks like he's listing one for $415. what?

The only difference as far as I can tell is that my Hornet Ghost upgrade has not been applied to the Hornet associated with my LTI Colonel account yet so they could be gifted separately it seems.

No offense to you sir, but none of this makes any loving sense to me.

Cross-chassis upgrade, downgrade, melt chassis, unmelt package no uec store credit, rec, LTI tokens.

What the living gently caress is this bullshit. How about somebody over there make a loving GAME?!?? Literally none of this manifest except some cardboard and paper and plastic merch hastily folded and scrawled upon by the tired hands of a Chinese child.

What the gently caress happened here? Is this how it feels when you're watching an important moment in history unfold before your very eyes?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Dude have you not seen the video? holy poo poo, just in case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8

I didn't notice the hair the first time I watched the video. lol

e: imgur did a weird crop fuckup. Too lazy to fix

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 4, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

alphabettitouretti posted:

This is her dream. Loads of cameras just pointed at her, all the time, forever.

Yeah she's not even doing facial capture stuff, she just put all those cameras up herself and sits there smiling....... :shlick:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

fuctifino posted:

I could just watch it for hours, looks like a loving psp game, actually gently caress that, peace walker had better character models for sure.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I could just watch it for hours, looks like a loving psp game, actually gently caress that, peace walker had better character models for sure.

It looks like a game that Chris Roberts might have made 15 years ago... lol

It's really loving bad.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

peter gabriel posted:

What Chris is doing is systematically putting things into the game that the rest of the game dev world learned were poo poo ideas and systematically removed from their games a long time ago.
His main issue is he spent the last 15 years sucking various cocks trying to make movies while the rest of the gaming world evolved and learned lessons.
The lovely thing is he's putting these poo poo ideas back into gaming thinking he thought of them first and that he is a genius, unaware that they have been thought of, tried, tested and shitcanned by everyone else :lol:

This. And it does give me a bit of concern, particularly with how many review site now handle things with kid gloves. Ideally I'd like to see the "game" get panned for exactly this, but it's just as likely to set the industry back.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

MMD3 posted:

Okay, I made the mistake of posting the response I got to my refund request on Reddit. I honestly intended for it to be informative, didn't realize I effectively through a stone into a hornet's nest and I got poo poo on as much as I probably deserved.

The reasoning that CIG gives for not providing refunds doesn't even apply to countries with stronger consumer protection law. For example, it is illegal to display a sign saying ''No refunds after x days" in Australia. You are entitled to a refund if it isn't delivered in a timely manner, doubly so if it wasn't delivered in the time-frame indicated by the seller . From what I gather similar provisions exist in the EU.

The argument that they 'used the money' could apply to literally every transaction. A retail outlet spends money on rent, a clerk, a POS terminal, etc. That poo poo costs money too. Providing refunds in this situation is the cost of doing business, and should be factored into your overhead. That someone wants a refund because you failed to delivered is completely reasonable request.

The cult is plainly wrong, and is suffering from serious cognitive dissonance. That they are the type of people who stand against companies like EA for financially exploitative business practices makes this extra hilarious.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

I like to laugh at SC as much as anyone, but that just can't be real. I refuse to accept it.
It looks filtered and/or as if it was upscaled or taken while the model was outside your depth-of-field or something. Please tell me that's at least somewhat skewed in how it was set up.

I paused their demo reel on Youtube, and used the windows snipping tool to grab the image. Sorry, it's real.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HapiMerchant posted:

put it this way, it's the age old dream

"I want to be a fighter pilot"

protip as the grandson of an actual fighter pilot, later test pilot for the USAF at nellis. Fighter pilots are all loving arrogant assholes who banged every girl that'd give them the time of day and drank like a dying man in utah

Yeah, and they're all dying out because of drones.

fuctifino posted:

Yeah, I wanted someone to mention that because it's so glaringly obvious. You see it pop up a few other times throughout the video. It's like the shading engine is glitchy as gently caress, because that gray texture is clearly some sort normal or spec map popping up.

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
I J4G' d Star Citizen.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Tokamak posted:

The reasoning that CIG gives for not providing refunds doesn't even apply to countries with stronger consumer protection law. For example, it is illegal to display a sign saying ''No refunds after x days" in Australia. You are entitled to a refund if it isn't delivered in a timely manner, doubly so if it wasn't delivered in the time-frame indicated by the seller . From what I gather similar provisions exist in the EU.

The argument that they 'used the money' could apply to literally every transaction. A retail outlet spends money on rent, a clerk, a POS terminal, etc. That poo poo costs money too. Providing refunds in this situation is the cost of doing business, and should be factored into your overhead. That someone wants a refund because you failed to delivered is completely reasonable request.

The cult is plainly wrong, and is suffering from serious cognitive dissonance. That they are the type of people who stand against companies like EA for financially exploitative business practices makes this extra hilarious.

The usual excuse is that they want to be raped by CIG. It's a good thing if you "asked for it". EA is bad because they tricked people into paying for and enjoying their products. Or something. I don't loving know how they rationalise beyond that.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

That sq42 video is like babies first cliché video : lovely mocap? check

Walking behind some bland guy as he waffles on and on? check

people stood around doing poo poo just as you get close to them? check

ships going past a window in the background? check

guy stood under a stairwell pretending to look busy pushing panels on wall? check

"This Is some boring bastard who also has a face like a melted foot" "Oh hi you're new right?" check (so loving cliché)

Guys stood at top of stairs talking loudly about some boring poo poo that will probably be important later? check

And I give up, can't watch the rest.....

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That sq42 video is like babies first cliché video : lovely mocap? check

Walking behind some bland guy as he waffles on and on? check

people stood around doing poo poo just as you get close to them? check

ships going past a window in the background? check

guy stood under a stairwell pretending to look busy pushing panels on wall? check

"This Is some boring bastard who also has a face like a melted foot" "Oh hi you're new right?" check (so loving cliché)

Guys stood at top of stairs talking loudly about some boring poo poo that will probably be important later? check

And I give up, can't watch the rest.....

How many pages of that script he was crowing about being like longer than the bible are these kinds of garbage "follow and listen" semi-interactive cutscenes, I wonder?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

How many of the promised 50 hours is patrolling empty asteroid fields while your wingmen show off their one character trait, which you can handily remember from the witty nickname they have?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

How many of the promised 50 hours is patrolling empty asteroid fields while your wingmen show off their one character trait, which you can handily remember from the witty nickname they have?

The nickname and character trait that's probably just some lazy ethnic stereotype?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Otisburg posted:

How many pages of that script he was crowing about being like longer than the bible are these kinds of garbage "follow and listen" semi-interactive cutscenes, I wonder?

I can only imagine his script goes like this :

SCENE #55678 THE END OF THE BEGINNING OF THE HNNMGRH!

ALL TH ACTORS ARE STOOD AROUND THE BIG MCGUFFIN, poo poo IS TENSE

GARY OLD MAN : THIS IS THE MACGUFFIN, IT'S IMPORTANT

MARK HAM ILL : The bad guys want it, if they get it YOU LOSE!

GILLIAN ANDER HER SON : You must protect it, oh no here are the bad guys!

BAD GUYS ENTER, poo poo IS SUPER TENSE, LKE TENSER THAN SANDI WHEN ANYONE DISAGREES WITH HER

BAD GUYS : WE WANT THE MACGUFFIN

SANDI : I'LL TAKE CARE OF THIS *KILLS ALL THE BAD GUYS USING HER SKILLS*

GARU OLDMERRHN : I AM A BAD GUY

GILLAN ANDER HERSON : GASP*

SANDI :HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE *FIGHT HAPPENS WHERE SANDI WINS (duh)
THE END

* credits consist of thanks to : sandi and chris, repeatedly*

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Watching that Morrow poo poo again I noticed a lot more pop-in and general ugliness and what looks like kind of fucky transitions between takes. Like they had to splice it together for whatever reason. Maybe they couldn't get it to run all the way through without crashing.

And the scripted things like Chris saying "oh hey go look at the engine, totally spontaneously!" are so transparent. I wonder if they thought they were being clever or just knew it'd be enough to fool the idiot cultists.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, and they're all dying out because of drones.

Yeah, I wanted someone to mention that because it's so glaringly obvious. You see it pop up a few other times throughout the video. It's like the shading engine is glitchy as gently caress, because that gray texture is clearly some sort normal or spec map popping up.

It's prealpha! :agesilaus:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
If we actually get star citizen, this thread would've made me feel that I've been playing this game the entire while and it'll just sit in my "will finish one day" bucket.

Star Citizen: I played a game without actually playing it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tippis posted:

It looks like a screenshot from a Youtube video compared to high-res/promo images.

("The SC model compared to the other models, or the image quality?" "Yes.")

Not higher-polycount, sure (because the more polys, the merrier. just ask chris!) but Peace Walker's assets are definitely a gently caress of a lot better designed and animated.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

That was the first time I've seen that video and holy poo poo is that horrible.

Everything about that just felt wrong. They spent so much on mo-cap and they have such lifeless characters who don't even make proper eye contact most of the time. Their flat dialog doesn't help either.

I saw this in the comments:

If you think that's how real people act, then you are a shut-in who has not interacted with another person face-to-face in decades.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 4, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kind of reminds me of the intro to Doom 3, 11 years ago. Or Half Life, back in like '97.

Honestly that kind of "theme park rail ride to show off the engine and do exposition dump" is kind of gauche at this point, no? Just get people into the action.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Kins posted:

It looks like a screenshot from a Youtube video compared to high-res/promo images.

That's exactly what it is. I wanted to find a higher-quality image, particularly due to how washed-out it all looks, but for some reason CIG didn't think it was necessary to do any promotion for this.

Which strikes me as really weird. I thought SQ42 was important? You'd think they'd put together something of a bit higher quality to put out there. Which leads me to believe that there is nothing of any higher quality, because knowing how CIG operates, if there were, we'd have seen it by now.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Turmoil posted:

That was the first time I've seen that video and holy poo poo is that horrible.

Everything about that just felt wrong. They spent so much on mo-cap and they have such lifeless characters who don't even make proper eye contact most of the time. Their flat dialog doesn't help either.

Don't worry, they've made a lot of improvements to the facial rigs since that video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdbhr2pZUgg

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Star citizen : G-man from 2003 is more alive and expressive. edit : and better animated, ANIMATED, not even motion captured!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Star citizen : G-man from 2003 is more alive and expressive. edit : and better animated, ANIMATED, not even motion captured!
That's the funniest part - there wasn't any motion capture on the HL2 characters! It was a collection of overlapping "gesture" animations and "stage directions" for the NPC AI!

...well, they did some motion capture for Alyx, but I don't think it was used in the game... pretty sure it was only used as reference material. God I wish they did a second printing of the Raising the Bar book. There was so much fascinating stuff in there!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
What's the best post you can find in the brown sea to replace the word ship with the word penis?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

no_recall posted:

What's the best post you can find in the brown sea to replace the word ship with the word penis?
"Fifteen Thousand Dollar Penis" would be a pretty good album name.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The weird thing is that months later CIG still hasn't uploaded a direct video, just that recording of the livestream. I assume the lovely resolution is intentional at this point.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I made the joke several threads ago, but SC multicrew is literally going to be this:

http://chiefobrienatwork.com/post/130299592486/episode-93-perchance-to-dream-read-the-next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I'm Chris desperately trying to keep the moron clipping through the 200 pound engine part out of focus at about 07:50

• Locked thread