Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

"Alright Dave?"

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

peter gabriel posted:

"Alright Dave?"

ps we miss u Pete

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The only context is which this would look good is the plot being a retelling of the operational history of USS William D. Porter.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

While he's passing through the crate like it ain't no thang, there are these weird light flashes on the door behind them. It really helps sell the idea that we are in the 'verse. Maybe those are Sandi's photographers.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm glad you can import all your favourite characters from The Sims 3 into the 'verse.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I wonder if I'm the only one who wants her to just go away. It's not like Chris can produce a game with or without her, so it's not really related to that. It's just this completely unnecessary Yoko aspect that it adds to the whole shitshow. She doesn't really add to the humor value, she just gives me a nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach every time she shows up. The rest of the wacky cast of this reality show is fine. If this were The Walking Dead, she'd be Lori.

Edit: OK the pubes thing was funny.

http://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/escapist-article-on-star-citizen.28029/page-3#post-393651

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Literally Kermit posted:

Hello, please come step over here into my office. I am hip deep in Elite: Meta.

Here's what happened when we decided (pretty much on a drunken whim) to save Space Christmas:

Guess who most of the top 5% was made up of? :getin:

Also yeah, so far the greatest recruiting tool I have had for the Diamond Frogs has been Star Citizen, frankly.

Edit: Oh yeah, the goon who wrote the article (it has to get approved by an :frontear: employee to actually make the GALnet) is the same one who did "The Wreck of the Idris Fitzgerald" among others. It's in the station rotation!

Check it: http://streaming.radionomy.com/RadioSkvortsov

I need to get back into Elite. Every now and then I play for a bit, try to get immersed, lose interest, and then go back to waiting for something to happen. That said I haven't played Horizons yet and I should see what happens when my Clipper lands on something. WHALESONG!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Remember when Transverse had "flight" and "combat" as stretch goals and failed to accomplish either

I applaud Chris Roberts for avoiding scope creep by also omitting these features

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Sarsapariller posted:

I think it's pretty likely that they slammed the first version together for the live stream, and were not given any time to do a second recording. Got to integrate more code branches! Since then they've either forgotten completely or they've not been able to record because bugs. Either way is equally likely and also hilarious and tragic. Get out soon, SC developers.

I haven't picked up Horizons yet but I have been playing Elite the last few weeks. It is a striking contrast to Star Citizen. It is smooth and beautiful and everything in it just works. I spent probably 15 hours over the 3-day weekend just flying rare trade routes and listening to podcasts. I probably docked, loaded/unloaded, and undocked at 100 different stations in that time. I flew into poo poo and collided with other ships, I flew too close to stars, I got interdicted, I generally just slalomed all over space like the drunken space-trucker that I was. Not once did I encounter a physics glitch or a bug. The game is obviously laid out in a way to conceal load screens, sure, but the concealing works, and the engine is easily able to handle the size of the resulting systems.

Eventually I got bored of trading and turned all my poo poo in for a nice fighter to go try out the "Hazardous Extraction Sites." Several hours of intense combat later- everything just feels right. The UI is 90% perfect and intuitive- you have exactly what you need in front of you and no more. The ship flies like a fighter-plane, sure, but there are simple rules governing your speed and turn rate that build up into a much more complex picture and allow you to get a real sense of mastery. Power management actually has a purpose. Subsystem targeting, locks, scanning for cargo/warrants/whatever- all have a purpose. A small ship can 1v1 a big ship, with some difficulty, but you'd better not 1v2 or 1v3 unless you have something special up your sleeve. Everything about the combat feels tight and well-thought-out from a design perspective, and the rewards are satisfingly large considering how dangerous what you're doing is.

It's not a perfect game. It's really quite dull once you step outside the 5-minute gameplay loops of mining, fighting, or trading. There's no real purpose except to acquire more money and fill up your reputation bars. The game desperately needs some kind of meta like EvE. But the thing is- the core is rock solid, and a lot of fun, and if/when they do put that meta in, nobody's going to go "Oh man but you can't get up and go jack off in your ship's bathroom! Worst game ever!"

..Well okay, some people will say that- they are the ones who will still be giving money to Star Citizen.

Elite has failed to deliver, on every count, the spectacular comedy element that Star citizen has. They appear to have put actual accountability, deliverable milestones ,game development,decent design, production values, bug free content and immersive playability above classic slapstick and farce unlike CIG. At no point have I been given the option to give frontier development $15,000 dollars for some .JPEG's. I cannot watch a very ,very. very fat man, lie to me each week on you tube and nowhere is there the ability to talk about space rape, keeping slaves or form a racist space gang with my autistic pal's. I am very disappointed with Mr Braben and he should definitely take a leaf out of Chris Roberts book if he wants to keep me entertained ,thankyou very much.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I love the logic. Since Sandi is being compared to Yoko, and Yoko didn't do any harm, then Sandi isn't doing any harm.

I didn't realize the transitive property automatically applied to the targets of analogies.

Fair point they make, though - Sandi is not analogous to Yoko. She's worse.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

I love the logic. Since Sandi is being compared to Yoko, and Yoko didn't do any harm, then Sandi isn't doing any harm.

I didn't realize the transitive property automatically applied to the targets of analogies.

Fair point they make, though - Sandi is not analogous to Yoko. She's worse.

ScruffPuff, you appeared here two weeks ago and seem to have a very good handle on everything going wrong. Are you a CIG refugee?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Star Marine remains a sore spot in 2016.

It should remain one, too, as nobody actually appears to want to play the game.

We have a number of 'shooting in spaaace' knockoffs, from the one that Derek keeps building, through Planetside 2, which was dumped by Sony as a money-making concern. Angels Fall First is probably the best current example outside of PS2, and it's struggling for people.

LoD and AFF are the only real space-to-ground here, but I doubt that CiG can handle seamless transition, but the FPS market is saturated to gently caress and back.

Combined arms
Line of Defense - http://steamcharts.com/app/266620
Angels Fall First - http://steamcharts.com/app/367270
Planetside 2 - http://steamcharts.com/app/218230

The PS2 numbers look great until you check their peak at 29,000.

Shooters
Interstellar Marines - http://steamcharts.com/app/236370
Tribes Ascend - http://steamcharts.com/app/1708

Compare and contrast with CoD;
http://steamcharts.com/search/?q=call+of+duty

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TTerrible posted:

ScruffPuff, you appeared here two weeks ago and seem to have a very good handle on everything going wrong. Are you a CIG refugee?

Believe it or not, I'm not. Although I did an early $45 pledge, I've more than gotten my money's worth of joy ramming bigger ships off the launch pads than I have in other games of similar cost.

I've been following this joke on and off for years now. Once they started putting those stretch goals in, and I actually read and understood them, I felt something was off. Then when they started to put in the huge fully Photoshopped documents like "healing your spaceman" I thought, OK, this is definitely heading into scam material.

The Derek Smart/Escapist fiasco just made me wake up to the fact that I was not alone. Then I found this specific forum. Bullseye.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

Believe it or not, I'm not. Although I did an early $45 pledge, I've more than gotten my money's worth of joy ramming bigger ships off the launch pads than I have in other games of similar cost.

I've been following this joke on and off for years now. Once they started putting those stretch goals in, and I actually read and understood them, I felt something was off. Then when they started to put in the huge fully Photoshopped documents like "healing your spaceman" I thought, OK, this is definitely heading into scam material.

The Derek Smart/Escapist fiasco just made me wake up to the fact that I was not alone. Then I found this specific forum. Bullseye.

I've never seen a new member fit in so well and so quickly. You've always been a goon... you just didn't know it until 2 weeks ago. :)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Will your dude in SQ42 be faceless or will they have a character generating tool? Looking at the regular no name dudes makes me think that yes maybe you could make a rudimentary character because they all look like garbage anyways. But then you look at the A list cast (plus sandi) and their production value is way higher, no way would they let you look like a garbo character next to them.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

fuctifino posted:

I've never seen a new member fit in so well and so quickly. You've always been a goon... you just didn't know it until 2 weeks ago. :)

Yeah you're like Harry Kim in that Voyager episode with the space rapists. Welcome home.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

fuctifino posted:

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Truly though, I've been a lurker on Something Awful since Lowtax started calling out Anarchy Online in 2001. I watched from the sidelines as goons engaged in joyful wreckage in EVE, thinking, "these guys get it."

I just had to scrape together $10, and these things take time. I should have Kickstarted it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Will your dude in SQ42 be faceless or will they have a character generating tool? Looking at the regular no name dudes makes me think that yes maybe you could make a rudimentary character because they all look like garbage anyways. But then you look at the A list cast (plus sandi) and their production value is way higher, no way would they let you look like a garbo character next to them.

They've said customisable character. They've also said anytime you die there's a possibility a limb, or piece of your face is blown off and replaced with cybernetics.

So no, probably no customisable face.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The joke's on you - your character in SQ42 IS Sandi.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Literally Kermit posted:

Hello, please come step over here into my office. I am hip deep in Elite: Meta.

Here's what happened when we decided (pretty much on a drunken whim) to save Space Christmas:

Guess who most of the top 5% was made up of? :getin:

Also yeah, so far the greatest recruiting tool I have had for the Diamond Frogs has been Star Citizen, frankly.

Edit: Oh yeah, the goon who wrote the article (it has to get approved by an :frontear: employee to actually make the GALnet) is the same one who did "The Wreck of the Idris Fitzgerald" among others. It's in the station rotation!

Check it: http://streaming.radionomy.com/RadioSkvortsov

That's really cool- I wish there was more to the player-controlled side of things. If this game had player owned stations and some form of territory control I feel like it'd be an EVE killer before too long.

I might sign up with you guys, if I manage to stick out the game for a few more weeks.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BMan posted:

Friend, have you heard of Factorio?

Factorio is great though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Friends dont let friends start playing factorio. Good god.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

Well no offense to Derek, but I do consider him to be quite insane and frighteningly obsessed with SC, but I also believe his criticisms are valid and he's entertaining as hell, especially at stirring up the hornets nest.

This post is too good for a Star Citizen thread, but there's no report button???

e: Factorio is one of the better games out there.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They've said customisable character. They've also said anytime you die there's a possibility a limb, or piece of your face is blown off and replaced with cybernetics.

So no, probably no customisable face.

So, most of the whales will all look like Bender by the time Goons are done with wrecking the game, assuming it ever comes out?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They've also said anytime you die there's a possibility a limb, or piece of your face is blown off and replaced with cybernetics.

Also procedurally generated funerals. Your new dude also has genetic weaknesses from the previous incarnation of your dude, and if you fly too close to stars you can unlock mutations.

Eventually you will be able to converse with the warp, and become a Chaos God.

(It's really hard trying to satirise their promises)

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Hav posted:

It should remain one, too, as nobody actually appears to want to play the game.

We have a number of 'shooting in spaaace' knockoffs, from the one that Derek keeps building, through Planetside 2, which was dumped by Sony as a money-making concern. Angels Fall First is probably the best current example outside of PS2, and it's struggling for people.

LoD and AFF are the only real space-to-ground here, but I doubt that CiG can handle seamless transition, but the FPS market is saturated to gently caress and back.

Combined arms
Line of Defense - http://steamcharts.com/app/266620
Angels Fall First - http://steamcharts.com/app/367270
Planetside 2 - http://steamcharts.com/app/218230

The PS2 numbers look great until you check their peak at 29,000.

Shooters
Interstellar Marines - http://steamcharts.com/app/236370
Tribes Ascend - http://steamcharts.com/app/1708

Compare and contrast with CoD;
http://steamcharts.com/search/?q=call+of+duty

PS2 is a bad thing to use for metrics, since the people not using the Steam client won't be counted in the Steam metrics, and that's a fairly large portion of the playerbase.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Thirsty Dog posted:

Also procedurally generated funerals.

Press F to Pay Respects

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

PS2 is a bad thing to use for metrics, since the people not using the Steam client won't be counted in the Steam metrics, and that's a fairly large portion of the playerbase.

It's still a vast heffalump compared with the others, so comparing that the foothill should be much, much larger doesn't really stress my point. I acknowledge the accuracy of the figures, though.

It's hugely popular on the PS4, which has it's own continent.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

EightAce posted:

Elite has failed to deliver, on every count, the spectacular comedy element that Star citizen has. They appear to have put actual accountability, deliverable milestones ,game development,decent design, production values, bug free content and immersive playability above classic slapstick and farce unlike CIG. At no point have I been given the option to give frontier development $15,000 dollars for some .JPEG's. I cannot watch a very ,very. very fat man, lie to me each week on you tube and nowhere is there the ability to talk about space rape, keeping slaves or form a racist space gang with my autistic pal's. I am very disappointed with Mr Braben and he should definitely take a leaf out of Chris Roberts book if he wants to keep me entertained ,thankyou very much.

My favorite part about the whole comparison is that Elite is judged on what they have delivered while Star Citizen is judged on what they have planned.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My favorite part about the whole comparison is that Elite is judged on what they have delivered while Star Citizen is judged on what they have planned.

can't help it there is no other way but to compare it with a release product against a planned product and we all saw how that planned product blew up in scope because it is still a planned product

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's an alpha goddddddd you don't get game development

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

wow I did not expect Descent: Underground to go as early as this in bundle sales

hope the guys in Austin are ok

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I backed Descent Underground early, but seeing as it was STILL impossible to bind a HOTAS (and there is no "reset to defaults" for when it shits itself) last time I booted it up it's unplayable for me.

A shame, because it looks like it has real promise. Why would anyone want to use a Joystick in a Descent game? :downsgun:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

Press F to Pay Respects

Press F to Paypal $1500 in Respect

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Sarsapariller posted:

But the thing is- the core is rock solid, and a lot of fun

According to the fuckwit I had a dumb internet argument with, Frontier did it the wrong way by creating a solid foundation for their space game and then building up from there. Apparently the SC route is the best way to go. Whoever that dick was I hope he never tries to build a house. He'd throw a pile of furniture and decorations onto a patch of land and then try to build the house around it.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's what really boggles my mind. How the gently caress do you even judge anyone on promises in modern gaming? Are you so stupid to have ignored the massive amount of lies and failures, outright fraud bordering on criminal (I am looking at you, Aliens: Colonial Marines. It's like they promised you a Ferrari, but what they gave you was a fiberglass Ferrari frame built around a Ford Pinto) that developers and publishers have pulled? What about great developers who simply overstepped and had to alter things when they encountered unforeseen obstacles? (Dark Souls due to their inexperience with the PC platform had massive graphics downgrades and 'The Witcher 3' had graphical features it had to scrap because of the limitations of consoles).

To simply go, 'Oh, he doesn't have an evil publisher, only evil publishers lie!' is such a retarded statement. Peter Molyneux, Richard Garriot, Tim Schafer are three just off the top of my head to have blown massive smoke up people's asses and they were not associated with publishers and have hosed over their customers. And even they didn't have the bold faced audacity to sell imaginary ships worth thousands and tens of thousands of dollars. And then they have the loving balls to complain about ED for a $60 expansion pack. Anywhere outside of their echo chambers they would get torn a bloody rear end in a top hat, which is why all dissent is squashed on the SC forums and downvoted on reddit. Its also why you see them scream and cry whenever an article comes out and they get hosed in the comments section. Or the hilarious posts of when they show other people Star Citizen and they go 'Yeah, I'm never paying for this' they simply cannot comprehend why.

That's why when I say Star Citizens are stone loving dumb without critical thinking skills, its not exaggeration. It is the stupidest gaming community I've ever seen, bar none and I've played MOBAs. You simply cannot look at the industry and rely on promises anymore, this isn't 1995. Anyone who buys into SC at this moment in time is an idiot unless they are doing the cheap seats. You have to go by what they've accomplished, which is a tech demo. It looks pretty, but these aren't the days of Crysis anymore where people will go nuts over a pretty, but empty game. People want something more, and having a unique art style and aesthetic is more valuable than having bleeding edge graphics.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 4, 2016

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think it's an interesting situation, in both cases you are kind of talking about features that aren't there. Elite has the bare minimum in terms of gameplay to be called an actual game, but the basics are as stable and solid as they get. People do like to daydream about the moment it will be fun once it gets some decent content (missions, a real economy, player interaction, etc).

Star Citizen is similar in a sense that some stuff is there and people daydream about some promised features showing up in the future. Sadly for Star Citizen one of the those features that isn't there yet is the loving core gameplay.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Also, I'm pretty sure the $60 Elite expansion includes the base game (and I think you get a discount if you have the base version so it's not really a $60 DLC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

alphabettitouretti posted:

According to the fuckwit I had a dumb internet argument with, Frontier did it the wrong way by creating a solid foundation for their space game and then building up from there. Apparently the SC route is the best way to go. Whoever that dick was I hope he never tries to build a house. He'd throw a pile of furniture and decorations onto a patch of land and then try to build the house around it.

No you should hope he tries to build a house, because when he does it will collapse in on itself and crush him to death. We need less stupid people in this world.

Iglocska posted:

I think it's an interesting situation, in both cases you are kind of talking about features that aren't there. Elite has the bare minimum in terms of gameplay to be called an actual game, but the basics are as stable and solid as they get. People do like to daydream about the moment it will be fun once it gets some decent content (missions, a real economy, player interaction, etc).

Star Citizen is similar in a sense that some stuff is there and people daydream about some promised features showing up in the future. Sadly for Star Citizen one of the those features that isn't there yet is the loving core gameplay.

The thing is for as much crap as ED gets for being shallow, the systems are there. You've got a sturdy metal frame and some drywall. Its not going to fall in on itself and the developers have said they've made a decade long commitment to develop the game.

Star Citizen is being built by an autist who is trying to build the Winchester mansion out of driftwood and Elmer's glue while he tries to push furniture inside of the frame, constantly knocking poo poo down and eating the glue that is holding the joints together.

• Locked thread