Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Man the SRW game where Delta premieres in is going to be an odd one

Only if it's the same game as Iron Blooded Orphans. I can see that getting awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh please, like Tekkadan isn't ripe with boy band material.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Frontier is basically 7 done "right" to me, in that it's pretty silly and more about just having some fun with a few decent Valkyrie battles but it doesn't have about 20 episodes too many like 7 did. And since the movies dial this up even further I think yeah I prefer those versions as well, though it does still kind of all blend together in mind with the TV series. I mean I'd still prefer Plus/SDF/DYRL but for what it was it was a fun little romp.

I'll have to wait and see wrt Delta but yeah the first impression was that it might be a bit much.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

SSS-Size Fire Bomber? Hell yeah this doesn't sound OP at all.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RangerKarl posted:

SSS-Size Fire Bomber? Hell yeah this doesn't sound OP at all.
Yumi Francois just felt a chill run down her spine, and she doesn't know why.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Tae posted:

Human-sized units were beating up giant monsters as far back as Alpha 1.

SRWF, at least.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Oh please, like Tekkadan isn't ripe with boy band material.

That's why it would be so awkward.

Most boy bands try to avoid having "The casually homicidal one."

I suppose it would mean less hecklers, of course...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I am breaking my no-posting vacation vow to say that today I learned that Giant Robo is part of my phone's auto correct and suggestions.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Reds posted:

I can't see myself sticking with Delta. Macross is just incompatible with me despite my best efforts. I want more of SDF and Plus, not this bizarre magical girl thing. There are better ways to integrate music into your show than going full idol, and then going fuller idol. Macross has been crazy since 7, but still.

I would love to watch a series set in a frontier fleet like the opening of Plus but it really doesn't fit current Macross.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
things I remember from Macross Frontier:

- blonde guy being a huge badass

- for some reason "just gently caress both of them" never occurs to Alto and this frustrated me

- version of Aimo that has the war drums in it = poo poo GETTIN REAL music

- how the gently caress is Lion still stuck in my head nearly a decade later

and almost nothing else

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

LORD OF BUTT posted:

- how the gently caress is Lion still stuck in my head nearly a decade later

Because Lion is pretty much the apex of that type of j-pop.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just watched that Delta preview thing. The only other bit of Macross I've seen is a couple episodes of the original 80's show.

I feel very, very lost.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I just watched that Delta preview thing. The only other bit of Macross I've seen is a couple episodes of the original 80's show.

I feel very, very lost.

Macross is a series of shows about how the power of J-pop can defeat overwhelmingly powerful invading alien armadas by teaching them to love. The power of J-pop powering shield bits doesn't seem that much more of a stretch.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's a stretch from how sdf was.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
One thing I love about Macross sequels is they take the ending of SDF and run with it. They have technicians and engineers that know aerospace and they now have a culture centered around pop idols.

Later series added that strong emotions, normally expressed in song, cause ripples in fold space.

Also, I'll note that the shield bits aren't powered by song, it looks like, just controlled that way.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The only thing I really would change about Delta is to not have the bits turn into synchronized dancing holograms. For some reason that really bothered me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I expected those hologram things to actually have a point but they didn't seem to.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I watched the first two episodes of Plus, I'm sorry it took me so long to finally check it out. It's really great, but where else have I seen this character designer? The face style really sticks out to me, like I've seen it before.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kingtheninja posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Plus, I'm sorry it took me so long to finally check it out. It's really great, but where else have I seen this character designer? The face style really sticks out to me, like I've seen it before.

Masayuki has done a bunch if stuff but mostly animation direction, the only other semi well known thing he's done character designs for is Doomed Megalopolis, if you've seen that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I haven't, but I think I might be remembering Masami Obari, I was a huge fan of the Fatal Fury movies in the late 90s.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SpikeMcclane posted:

Also, I'll note that the shield bits aren't powered by song, it looks like, just controlled that way.

They're not being controlled by it either. It looks far more likely that they're being gesture controlled. For a start, Walkure aren't even singing when they use the drones to form stagelights right at the start. A few seconds later when they form a shield over some citizens Mikumo makes a gesture towards them with her fingers just before hand. Which is a totally reasonable way of controlling them really. They also use handheld holographic displays to show information.

It's still weird that they're making what is essentially a rescue operation in to a concert, but when song is the most effective way to pacify someone after they've been forced in to a berserk state I suppose it's not completely stupid to have a team of songstresses acting as spies and patrolling the area before they bust out a concert and use drones to move around the battlefield, protect themselves and civilians and then sing at the enemies to calm them down. It's fun as gently caress though, which is all that counts really.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 4, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
macross delta is trash

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

So, the bad (?) valkyrie team have at least a few members with the light up dealie in their hair like Freja does.

Did anyone else in Walkure? They recognized her as a Windermere in any case.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The love triangle should wrap up with Max's granddaughter winning a knife fight as a call back to the original series.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ethiser posted:

The love triangle should wrap up with Max's granddaughter winning a knife fight as a call back to the original series.
I will only accept this if the knife fight is animated as poorly as it was in the original Macross.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I will only accept this if the knife fight is animated as poorly as it was in the original Macross.

For those that haven't experienced SDF Macross:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The fact Millia's foot just appears to be hanging in mid-air there is what always gets me. I prefer the arcade simulator date though. Max and Millia are the best couple.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

macross delta is trash

It makes me dislike Symphogear more by association since it really feels like that's the audience they want.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

tsob posted:

Max and Millia are the best couple.

"If you want to hold a baby, make one of your own :mad:"

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 4, 2016

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Kawamori. :allears:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

macross delta is trash

I disagree. I thought it was fun

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

I disagree. I thought it was fun

It took the craziness just far enough for me to like it despite not really getting it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

It took the craziness just far enough for me to like it despite not really getting it.

My biggest problem with it was the exposition felt really clunky, which hopefully is mostly because it was a preview

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I just noticed msubs have been subbing Brave of Gold Goldran. I'm sure that's exciting to someone.

Edit: After further research they've been going at it since 2009 so it's not exactly cutting edge news i guess.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 5, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

They're not being controlled by it either. It looks far more likely that they're being gesture controlled. For a start, Walkure aren't even singing when they use the drones to form stagelights right at the start. A few seconds later when they form a shield over some citizens Mikumo makes a gesture towards them with her fingers just before hand. Which is a totally reasonable way of controlling them really. They also use handheld holographic displays to show information.

It's still weird that they're making what is essentially a rescue operation in to a concert, but when song is the most effective way to pacify someone after they've been forced in to a berserk state I suppose it's not completely stupid to have a team of songstresses acting as spies and patrolling the area before they bust out a concert and use drones to move around the battlefield, protect themselves and civilians and then sing at the enemies to calm them down. It's fun as gently caress though, which is all that counts really.

The whole thing is about healing people through the power of jpop. If there's a murder-plague going around and the only way to fix it is with idol concerts, then it's your duty to splurge on high-tech visual effects and put on the best drat concert you can.

Like, seriously, I think that's the actual explanation for all the fancy lighting and little dancing drone-holograms.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Darth Walrus posted:

The whole thing is about healing people through the power of jpop. If there's a murder-plague going around and the only way to fix it is with idol concerts, then it's your duty to splurge on high-tech visual effects and put on the best drat concert you can.

Like, seriously, I think that's the actual explanation for all the fancy lighting and little dancing drone-holograms.

I get the feeling the full explanation beyond "music cures the plague" will be a quick "music heals this because fold technobabble, don't think too hard about it" and questions such as "would it work if you played a recording" or "do you really need full magical girls and concerts and a big light show or is just the music good enough, do you need to be up in their faces or can you play it over speakers" or "would death metal be more effective than j-pop, do you need instruments or can it be just raw singing" are not going to addressed.

Just sit back and enjoy your magical girl idols, I guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reds posted:

I get the feeling the full explanation beyond "music cures the plague" will be a quick "music heals this because fold technobabble, don't think too hard about it" and questions such as "would it work if you played a recording" or "do you really need full magical girls and concerts and a big light show or is just the music good enough, do you need to be up in their faces or can you play it over speakers" or "would death metal be more effective than j-pop, do you need instruments or can it be just raw singing" are not going to addressed.

Just sit back and enjoy your magical girl idols, I guess.

They seem to be going with the Frontier thing of 'emotion can generate fold-space effects with the right technology, and we're going with music because tradition'. If it's about conveying emotion through art to fry the virus, then a visual component is just as much of a plus as an aural one. It being a daft, off-the-wall concept doesn't mean they haven't put thought into it.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Darth Walrus posted:

They seem to be going with the Frontier thing of 'emotion can generate fold-space effects with the right technology, and we're going with music because tradition'. If it's about conveying emotion through art to fry the virus, then a visual component is just as much of a plus as an aural one. It being a daft, off-the-wall concept doesn't mean they haven't put thought into it.

Guess I forgot that part of the explanation from Frontier. I don't think anybody can call it that unusual given that 7 already happened, anyway.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

drrockso20 posted:

i hope they use it as an excuse to put symphogear in too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Wasn't really feeling that until that last song and holy crap that was cool.