Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod

Race Realists posted:

when i read posts like this i often wonder what on earth do you guys have to be doing to pass three huge, fuckoff tests in a matter of a year :stare:

like, what study material did you use?

I passed N+ and Sec+ after a one week boot camp for each. I had some knowledge prior and I understood subnetting really well but that was it. I think the hardest part about them is finding time to digest all that information. So 40 hours of getting it spoonfed for each cert helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

I just need to vent, but drat I'm feeling overwhelmed/under-prepared for the PWK lab. Like yeah I've gotten access on a couple hosts, but drat if the whole lab itself isn't intimidating as all hell. Makes me worry I'll never be ready for the OSCP exam.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Race Realists posted:

when i read posts like this i often wonder what on earth do you guys have to be doing to pass three huge, fuckoff tests in a matter of a year :stare:

I passed three different ccna certs in less than a year. If you set yourself to it, study all the time, and work with it daily its doable. Definitely not easy and not for everyone.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Race Realists posted:

Unemployment is a great motivator. I did the A+ a few years ago, then got Network+ about 2 months after that, then the Sec+ about 2 weeks after that. Admittedly I was unemployed when I went for the Sec+, but at the same time it was also about 50% review from Network+.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
10 pages a day = 300 a month

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Race Realists posted:

A+, N+, and S+ aren't really too difficult. Depending on your free time and experience level, you can pass each of them with a couple of weeks of studying. Something like the CCNA will require a lot more time unless you already have considerable work experience.

Elucidarius posted:

I just need to vent, but drat I'm feeling overwhelmed/under-prepared for the PWK lab. Like yeah I've gotten access on a couple hosts, but drat if the whole lab itself isn't intimidating as all hell. Makes me worry I'll never be ready for the OSCP exam.

I'm taking the class/starting the labs this coming Saturday. I've got experience with nmap, MSF, and Kali in general, but I've never actually done any real penetration testing so I'm sure it'll be a challenge. Fortunately I don't have any master's classes until the end of January.

psydude fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 21, 2015

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Race Realists posted:

When the test is already paid for, believe me, you will study your rear end off

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Pretty much this. There is nothing that motivates me like scheduling the exam and paying for it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

ElGroucho posted:

A thousand times this.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

psydude posted:

A+, N+, and S+ aren't really too difficult. Depending on your free time and experience level, you can pass each of them with a couple of weeks of studying. Something like the CCNA will require a lot more time unless you already have considerable work experience.

I only took Security +, but I think it's doable by a competent person who is sorta interested in security with only a week of very casual studying. Memorize the ports, memorize their vocabulary, skim a study guide while looking for new stuff that you might not know,

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
decided to study a little on ipv6 because why not?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

This totally. Way back when I did 5 out of the 6 tests needed for the MCSE by scheduling one test a month. I would pass one, immediately schedule the next test and then start studying. It also helped that I was single at the time.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Race Realists posted:

I just grabbed Junipers "Day One" IPv6. Gonna read through it sometime soon.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Race Realists posted:

For most entry-level exams, you don't need to know everything about everything with IPv6, but definitely know your address types (ie. unique local, link-local, multicast, etc.), know the basic structure of an IPv6 address (prefix, subnet and host ID) and know how to create an EUI-64 identifier (the FF:FE thing) as well as how the whole SLAAC process works. Work on your binary conversion as well because you'll need it for networking, especially when you start getting into stuff like Cisco. You don't need to be able to do binary conversion instantly, but at least be able to work it out reasonably quickly on paper because it'll be your failsafe if you get a subnetting question.

If you want to get better at binary, I can't think of a better tool than Cisco's Binary Game:
http://forums.cisco.com/CertCom/game/binary_game_page.htm

If that doesn't improve your speed, nothing will.

HPL fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 21, 2015

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

psydude posted:

This is difficult, but not impossible. Consulting firms are the most likely to pay you to get your CCNP, but getting hired by one as a CCNA is tough. Having a CCNP-level of knowledge in routing and security will increase your chances. And that takes either self study or investment of your own money.

But when you look at the average salaries of CCNP engineers, it should't be difficult to convince yourself that spending the money on self study is worth it. Having the CCNA is a great way to start out in the networking world, but I can't stress enough how beneficial it is to have a CCNP if you're a network engineer.

Not entirely sure what CCNP engineers make, but I guess I'm already making similar money. It's just that my current job is boring as hell and I need to start doing something interesting for my own sanity. I'll go with CCNA R/S and try to land me a job at a consultancy firm that allows me to start CCNP asap.

Thanks for the advice!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Walked posted:

100% agreed. My 410 test had some stuff from 411 for sure.

MS was super duper guilty of this on the 70-290 and -291 for Server 2k3, and again on 70-646/648 for 2k8. A lot of the basics got covered, some other new-ish concepts from the upgrade exam were word-for-word similar or way too close on both.

Gonna be interesting to see how that dynamic evolves for 2016.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

HPL posted:

For most entry-level exams, you don't need to know everything about everything with IPv6, but definitely know your address types (ie. unique local, link-local, multicast, etc.), know the basic structure of an IPv6 address (prefix, subnet and host ID) and know how to create an EUI-64 identifier (the FF:FE thing) as well as how the whole SLAAC process works. Work on your binary conversion as well because you'll need it for networking, especially when you start getting into stuff like Cisco. You don't need to be able to do binary conversion instantly, but at least be able to work it out reasonably quickly on paper because it'll be your failsafe if you get a subnetting question.

If you want to get better at binary, I can't think of a better tool than Cisco's Binary Game:
http://forums.cisco.com/CertCom/game/binary_game_page.htm

If that doesn't improve your speed, nothing will.

dude, cant thank you ENOUGH! :-)

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

ElGroucho posted:

Scheduled my 220-801 for the second week of january thanks to our chat. That seems like it's the hardest part... :)

This will be my first industry cert ever. I have a lot of years of military tech shenanigans behind me though.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

HPL posted:

Pro tip for anyone taking the 70-410: finish studying for the 410, finish studying for your 411, THEN take the 410.

Yeah I ran into that yesterday which is probably part of why I got a 680 on the 410. :cry:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Exodor posted:

Yeah I ran into that yesterday which is probably part of why I got a 680 on the 410. :cry:

I feel you. I was about that close to passing the first time I took CCENT. I nearly punched a hole in the wall when I got home.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Is Scott Lowes book for vSphere6 the one to buy for studying for the VCP6? Also does anyone know if taking the Stanley class for 5.5 will count for certification for 6? I'd hate to have to retake that class but I finally have time to study for this now after renewing my CCNA and grabbing my Security+.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Is Scott Lowes book for vSphere6 the one to buy for studying for the VCP6? Also does anyone know if taking the Stanley class for 5.5 will count for certification for 6? I'd hate to have to retake that class but I finally have time to study for this now after renewing my CCNA and grabbing my Security+.

The 5.5 class only counts towards VCP5. Scott Lowe's book is pretty decent, but I would highly advise against it being your only source of study for the VCP550. Honestly, it's labbing that people generally fall short on when prepping for the exam. The books will provide you a good base, but it's setting things up, breaking poo poo, fixing it, and then rinsing and repeating that benefits you the most.

**EDIT**

According to Stanly they don't anticipate having the VCP6 class until sometime in Spring 2016 at the earliest.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/114475-vcp-courses-offered-stanly-comm-college.html

Stanly CC reps post regularly on the Tech Exams Virtualization forums, so if you have any questions you can generally reach them there.

Daylen Drazzi fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 23, 2015

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

TEH Zombie Penguin posted:

Scheduled my 220-801 for the second week of january thanks to our chat. That seems like it's the hardest part... :)

This will be my first industry cert ever. I have a lot of years of military tech shenanigans behind me though.

Good luck, my dude. You'll be surprised how far in the door being prior service will get you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm almost done with the videos for the CCENT. Does anyone have a source for lab activities to get some practice for the simulations?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Packet Tracer is fine.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I meant what to practice doing to prepare. I guess maybe set up a network with an ACL, NAT, its own DNS, VLANs, and whatever the name of the server you use to back up a router configuration is?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Practice the stuff from the book and videos and you'll be fine. Ccent is extremely basic.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Are there any decent resources to prepare for the CompTIA Server+ SK0-004 exam? That exam appears to be the only one that still counts for a lifetime cert and I want to get it out of the way since my Network+ expires in a month. I can't really find any useful material and the stuff I did find was riddled with "content not used in current exam, I failed." Want to avoid that cause I have limited attempts that my employer will pay for.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

What's the recommended course of action for CCNA R&S certification, going for 200-120 or doing both 100-101 and 200-101?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

LochNessMonster posted:

What's the recommended course of action for CCNA R&S certification, going for 200-120 or doing both 100-101 and 200-101?

I took the 200-120, don't regret it. They have less questions to hit you with so you get to skip on some of the crazy broadness of the 100-101 and less of the minutia of configurations on the 200-101.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Crosspostin 6 months free pluralsight: http://www.troyhunt.com/2015/12/get-more-awesome-pluralsight-content.html?m=1

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I meant what to practice doing to prepare. I guess maybe set up a network with an ACL, NAT, its own DNS, VLANs, and whatever the name of the server you use to back up a router configuration is?

I used Boson NetSim for my CCNA studies and would highly recommend it. Definitely helped me prepare for the exam and was easier to get setup then GSN3. For the CCENT have subnetting down, know all your basic show commands and know the basics of ACLs, NATS, VLANs etc. Most importantly take your time, you cant go backwards on the exam so make sure you've really read the question before answering and continuing.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Is VIRL pretty good to study for the 210-260? Education license 1/yr is only $80

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know of a place that has a good discount on the CCENT? I've only found $5 off so far, which is barely more than 3% off. I want to schedule it for the day before classes start so I have a deadline to practice everything by.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

crunk dork posted:

Is VIRL pretty good to study for the 210-260? Education license 1/yr is only $80

I use it all the time to validate various things before I do them. It's a tool you'll probably use a lot long after you pass any tests. If it includes the devices used in that exam then yes, worthy investment.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Cool, thanks! :)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Taking the n10-006 a week from tuesday and I feel decently confident, but have no idea what kind of sims they could have. Anybody take the exam and have some general insight into the sims they had?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Kashuno posted:

Taking the n10-006 a week from tuesday and I feel decently confident, but have no idea what kind of sims they could have. Anybody take the exam and have some general insight into the sims they had?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Download the PDF with the exam objectives from the CompTIA web site and if you know just about everything on that list, you'll be fine. As for more specific things, I would say know your subnetting, be comfortable with stuff like ipconfig and know your Ethernet cable pinouts. If you don't know those things, then you're wasting your money and time and should go to the box and feel shame.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Anyone used the Sander van Vugt RHCSA/RHCE 7 book? Should I just wait for Jang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I think someone said Jang was due in February. I'm waiting for Jang, since it'll be my first Linux certification (if I pass!).

The Asghar Ghori book looks good, but has had various faults picked with it regarding inaccuracies. If I'm going to start formally learning I want an understanding of the systems steeped in fact, so I'm hoping the Jang will do it for me.