Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It works for CIG.
CIG is happy to silence the majority as well when it doesn't go their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Iglocska posted:

If only this game had an open sandbox mode which they could show off.
Squadron 42 is supposed to come out this year and they can't even show off some ships going pew pew. And where the gently caress is my digital John Rhys-Davies???

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I am Smarticus.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

I love how that poo poo heap garbage dump Reddit essentially allows their stupid echo chambers to ban people by making their posts vanish. What a great idea, silence the minority because the vocal majority is always inherently correct.

it owns

that is my biggest gripe about reddit

you either agree with the consensus or you didn't make your post (you may as well not, because its at the bottom, greyed out, and hidden)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lowtax posted:

I love how that poo poo heap garbage dump Reddit essentially allows their stupid echo chambers to ban people by making their posts vanish. What a great idea, silence the minority because the vocal majority is always inherently correct.

If you want your opinion to be right, maybe get more people to agree with you Derek. :smug:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Eonwe posted:

it has been determined that you simply need to have someone ask "will X be in Star Citizen" and the answer will be yes
- Oi, Chris! Will there be Derek Smart in Star Citizen?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they should honestly change how downvotes there work

like they have this rule that you don't downvote because you disagree, you downvote because it breaks the rules / etc

but obviously thats not how human beings work, so they should probably create a system that doesn't let the majority completely silence everyone else

thats why Something Awful Games 2016 owns

Kewpuh/FAU/Videogames just let people do their own thing and only step in when people are really loving a topic up / being creepy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

- Oi, Chris! Will there be Derek Smart in Star Citizen?

yes

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol 4 years into development is super early in

(Let me direct you to this picture which shows when someone mentioned X could use a sequel as the start of development for X. If you examine it closely you'll see 10 years is the average length of time to make a game as simple as pong so star citizen is actually ahead of schedule. You just don't understand game development).jpg

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Eonwe posted:

like they have this rule that you don't downvote because you disagree, you downvote because it breaks the rules / etc

but obviously thats not how human beings work, so they should probably create a system that doesn't let the majority completely silence everyone else

Kewpuh/FAU/Videogames just let people do their own thing and only step in when people are really loving a topic up / being creepy
Kewpuh is awesome, one of the best mods ever.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Eonwe posted:

What is funny is their rules for "downvoting" are an attempt to break the group-think behavior.... but the group think behavior is what makes reddit so popular with idiots who don't want their belief system challenged. Thus reddit will never actually make a change like "Downvoting costs 5 karma", because secretly the mods love downvote brigades.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thats honestly why I don't even post there

here on SA, even if everyone in the thread thinks I'm the dumbest motherfucker ever

they at least have to see my post

I do have 217 people ignoring me currently but I'm sure most of them click 'see post' or whatever every time I end up posting anyway

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Eonwe posted:

thats honestly why I don't even post there

here on SA, even if everyone in the thread thinks I'm the dumbest motherfucker ever

they at least have to see my post

I do have 217 people ignoring me currently but I'm sure most of them click 'see post' or whatever every time I end up posting anyway

Or if you get quoted :D

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh, I'm up to 234 users ignoring me

thanks Awesome Games Done Quick thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

thanks Awesome Games Done Quick thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AGDQ is great. I can only imagine what you said that got people riled up to block you for posting in that thread.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Eldragon posted:

What is funny is their rules for "downvoting" are an attempt to break the group-think behavior.... but the group think behavior is what makes reddit so popular with idiots who don't want their belief system challenged. Thus reddit will never actually make a change like "Downvoting costs 5 karma", because secretly the mods love downvote brigades.
like I don't give a poo poo if somebody had a retarded opinion here on SA, because people will make fun of them until they shut up or commit suicide. It seems ridiculous to me to allow general members of the public to effectively silence other people because they don't agree with them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lowtax posted:

like I don't give a poo poo if somebody had a retarded opinion here on SA, because people will make fun of them until they shut up or commit suicide. It seems ridiculous to me to allow general members of the public to effectively silence other people because they don't agree with them.

Having rules and enforcing them is also a thing that seems to work.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
We should declare war on reddit in a popular video game or something

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Scruffpuff posted:

Many of those early developers can't move on from ideas they had back in the day, ideas that were implemented poorly or just didn't work. They're riding on the assumption that now, with all this new tech, they can make those outdated ideas work the way they've always imagined, and in their minds, be vindicated.

Which you'll notice is nothing more than feeding the ego, rather than making a game for people to enjoy. Hence all this mocap poo poo.

The developers I've seen succeed at this (Jordan Weisman, Chris Avellone and Brian Fargo) have either: updated their concepts in accordance with modern gaming and/or not updated, but refined upon old concepts while eliminating the tedium from them in addition to maintaining realistic expectations and cutting extravagance. Unsurprisingly, the most successful ones have worked as publishers as well as developers because project management and knowing what you are capable of and budgeting is extremely important.

And yeah, this project just reads like one big ego trip ever since he started piling poo poo onto it. Its all about how great of a genius he is and how he's going to save PC gaming, which is loving hilarious. It never needed saving and if it did, Steam and GoG have already done so.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's focused on mocap because that's what Chris cares about, even if nobody else does.

No argument here. You would think a big movie guy would learn from how badly Lucas hosed up, or see the writing on the wall from all the other developers who failed before him, but I guess being a revolutionary visionary comes at the expense of self-awareness.

He's been in Hollywood. He knows mo-cap has been old news since Andy Serkis did LoTR and it is basically expected at this point and not something that makes a project special. But the problem is he's not old-school, he's just old. He thinks he's a huge genius and refuses to change his ideas and fired anyone who would have dared question him. Frankly, it is a miracle that anything got out at this point. And that is more of a testament to the talent and endurance of the people he's hired in spite of him, not because of him.

Star Citizen is a textbook of what happens when you let a visionary in without any control or accountability. The best creators know they need other people to ground them and are willing to accept input from others (or have others go along with their vision who are independent themselves and are willing to help put things into focus). Or they are the near unique, literally insane singular genius who basically have their lives consumed by their art and don't need help or input (which CRoberts is most definitely not). I feel that Chris Roberts thinks he is a legendary director and thinks he can treat the gaming industry the exact same way as the movie industry. But he is so far from a legend it is hilarious and the movie industry is so remarkably different from the gaming industry it is nearly impossible to be a 'visionary' like you could be when gaming teams were about 10-15 people.

His 'visionary' status to me is completely overrated. Wing Commander is outdated by now, gaming has built upon its ideas, taken what was good and discarded the rest. Freelancer was only good because of Microsoft. The space sim genre is having a renaissance without his game even being out. He's done nothing to prove himself in 12 years as a gaming or movie visionary. To me, he is an old relic who has done nothing but gobble up the hype surrounding him because of his massive ego without any justification for it. He's using this to play with other people's money and it is painfully obvious he doesn't have any intention of doing anything that is not important to him.

Aramoro posted:

I'm going to assume you know more about this than me, which wouldn't be hard. Why are the CIG cameras all seemingly set up at random. All the times I've seen this before the, like in that picture you linked, the cameras are all level with each other an consistent in a circle. But looking at CIG's setup the cameras aren't level with each other at all, the cameras also seem to be way closers than other set ups I've seen.

Is it just not set up correctly or that just a thing?

The concept of what they are doing requires all angles be equidistant otherwise your layered 3-d model is going to be hosed up. You also need appropriate lighting of the space. MGSV has a studio space dedicated to motion capture, with solid surfaces. You want to get a good amount of light bouncing around to eliminate shadows and to diffuse the light itself, otherwise the light will make your subject look harsh and adds years and exaggerates imperfections which would otherwise be invisible (which is why often celebrity shots on the red-carpet can sometimes make them look awful and why they have a metric ton of make-up caked on to compensate for this. Flash photography is poo poo). Solid, white surfaces are the best at this. There's nothing wrong with fabric diffusers (the white sheet), but you're doing 3-d modeling/motion capture and not normal photography so ideally you'd want solid surfaces all the same shade of white for the best results ala MGS.

For the cameras, I don't know wtf is going on with their camera angles. It could be that they are using a different software or a different technique that requires that or someone just said 'gently caress it, the more cameras the better'. Typically the more cameras, the more angles which means the greater the resolution and detail you can get. Don't know why it looks cramped either, like they did it in somebody's kitchen. My guess is that with the space they were working, that was the level where they could get all their cameras in sync for the best results of f-stop and shutter speed etc. It could just be a really bad photo of someone inside the circle of cameras. But for their money I'd expect at least something decently sized with white walls and not a sheet.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

redditors get super weird about their free speech

anything the admins ever do including banning jailbait subreddits is usually interpreted as some dumb censorship thing

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Banned for multiple violations of forum rules 3, 9, and 11.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
am i a star citizen guys

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
It's a fascinating case study in how dynamic networks with simple rulesets can organically devolve into inbred poo poo heaps, just as you see in nature.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Eonwe posted:

am i a star citizen guys

we're all citizens down here

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Stanko-Prussian posted:

So why do we call them cultists when we could call them the shillrathi anyway

<golf clap>

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SuperSpiff posted:

Banned for multiple violations of forum rules 3, 9, and 11.

In particular posting so as to get a rise out of others in a way not so good as you'd think.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
Hi I just noticed kilrathi is a portmanteau of "kill" and "wrath" and also that Chris Roberts is Aramaic for "total loving hack."

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Hi I just noticed kilrathi is a portmanteau of "kill" and "wrath" and also that Chris Roberts is Aramaic for "total loving hack."

Oldman wasn't wrong about the Lucas comparison.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
great now i cant stop saying portmanteau

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Oldman wasn't wrong about the Lucas comparison.

I don't doubt for a second that wasn't a compliment.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

My SC Voice Acting Audition Episode 2: The Hangar. *More Info in the Comments*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXvjTTqZJSY

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Dogstoyevsky posted:

It's even worse: it's a portmanteau of "kill" and "rat," because they are loving cat people.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Chris Roberts is a visionary. Squadron 42 will be released this year, and it will be a shot for shot remake of "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" except all of the characters will be spaceships with the face of Sandi, a la Thomas the Tank Engine.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

Chris Roberts is a visionary. Squadron 42 will be released this year, and it will be a shot for shot remake of "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" except all of the characters will be spaceships with the face of Sandi, a la Thomas the Tank Engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAWDtXoDmqg

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Captain B'tak has a bit of a reputation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zd4d4/lando_assassinates_the_terrapin_and_dragonfly/

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
I want a "miming" ship. It will silently mimic the true horrors of the world.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SuperSpiff posted:

We should declare war on reddit in a popular video game or something

While not a popular game, there was an SA vs Reddit war in EVE. It was also the subject of a failed Kickstarter campaign for a book that will relaunch in March.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Thomas the Tachikoma!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Star citizen

"It's not about getting my moneys worth" - Over $10,000 backer

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

Is this a wind up? Where can you see this?

Nevermind, found it.

AP fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 4, 2016

• Locked thread