Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Eonwe posted:

oh, I'm up to 234 users ignoring me

thanks Awesome Games Done Quick thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just ignore my posts and get confused and angry when someone quotes me and it is all purple on my phone

It's Like rping the weirdos who block people so I can walk mile in their fedora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

The Kins posted:

That's the funniest part - there wasn't any motion capture on the HL2 characters! It was a collection of overlapping "gesture" animations and "stage directions" for the NPC AI!

...well, they did some motion capture for Alyx, but I don't think it was used in the game... pretty sure it was only used as reference material. God I wish they did a second printing of the Raising the Bar book. There was so much fascinating stuff in there!

This is the funny thing about all this sperging over mocap - it's never really used in the final animation. There is so much cleanup involved that mocap is only really ever used for reference, at least that's what it was for Lord of the Rings. All of the Gollum sequences were actually hand animated by artists, who used the mocap as a guideline/reference.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Eonwe posted:

oh, I'm up to 234 users ignoring me

thanks Awesome Games Done Quick thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are people ignoring you? Tis a sad day when the Elephant in the Room cant be heard, or seen as it were.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

grimcreaper posted:

Why are people ignoring you? Tis a sad day when the Elephant in the Room cant be heard, or seen as it were.

i guess internet words upset them

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dapper Dan posted:

For the cameras, I don't know wtf is going on with their camera angles. It could be that they are using a different software or a different technique that requires that or someone just said 'gently caress it, the more cameras the better'. Typically the more cameras, the more angles which means the greater the resolution and detail you can get. Don't know why it looks cramped either, like they did it in somebody's kitchen. My guess is that with the space they were working, that was the level where they could get all their cameras in sync for the best results of f-stop and shutter speed etc. It could just be a really bad photo of someone inside the circle of cameras. But for their money I'd expect at least something decently sized with white walls and not a sheet.

The cameras are usually computer controlled and they calibrate the location before starting, and after the cameras are set up. This is related to the early attempted to do ghetto meshing off 3D objects where you'd pick cardinal points on the 'model', then relate them to the planar images.

The thing I recall was calebara, or something similar sounding, and was during a brief foray into 3D modelling for business visualization.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Scruffpuff posted:

she just gives me a nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach every time she shows up

Quit getting mad about videogames.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Scruffpuff posted:

I wonder if I'm the only one who wants her to just go away. It's not like Chris can produce a game with or without her, so it's not really related to that. It's just this completely unnecessary Yoko aspect that it adds to the whole shitshow. She doesn't really add to the humor value, she just gives me a nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach every time she shows up. The rest of the wacky cast of this reality show is fine. If this were The Walking Dead, she'd be Lori.

Edit: OK the pubes thing was funny.

Somewhat related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2i9RvBOSZ4

Just watch for this look among the CIG employees when dealing with her:

Hav posted:

The cameras are usually computer controlled and they calibrate the location before starting, and after the cameras are set up. This is related to the early attempted to do ghetto meshing off 3D objects where you'd pick cardinal points on the 'model', then relate them to the planar images.

The thing I recall was calebara, or something similar sounding, and was during a brief foray into 3D modelling for business visualization.

Ah, that makes sense. Still looks odd the way they are set-up

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 4, 2016

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
I've just watched the latest episode of the Expanse and thought of the Wing Commander movie. I think it's an interesting mental exercise.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The large screen (which is obviously not plasma) will be for controlling shields or weapons or electronic warfare etc when it's implimented and the captain delegates it. Full screen makes that actually possible. If it's not of interest don't take the job. 

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I have a new idea for a ship. It is a pawn shop/loan title ship for selling things in a pinch if you don't have credits. Also, croberts could probably have like a direct deposit from your paypals or whatever to the ships to get back what you pawned plus 25% interest. Original Idea do not steal.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Thanks Youtube

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

How hard is it to make a button that flips the display out of the way? No hinges in the future?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Google Butt posted:

How hard is it to make a button that flips the display out of the way? No hinges in the future?

Yeah yeah we'll do it in two weeks.

p.s. touch the poop

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I still don't understand why I would need someone else to manage my shields and weapons and power levels when I was doing that poo poo 20 years ago with X-Wing/TIE Fighter without a HOTAS.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ash1138 posted:

I still don't understand why I would need someone else to manage my shields and weapons and power levels when I was doing that poo poo 20 years ago with X-Wing/TIE Fighter without a HOTAS.

because they couldnt think of anything else for the crew to do besides gunning

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beet Wagon posted:

Chris Roberts is a visionary. Squadron 42 will be released this year, and it will be a shot for shot remake of "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" except all of the characters will be spaceships with the face of Sandi, a la Thomas the Tank Engine.

Now imagine this has been shot from 150 angles...

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
:what: :holy:

Is this seriously how the game is supposed to be? I drop in like once a year to check on status and this time I bit off way more than I can chew.

So they are effectively developing two (or 3? does space marines count as a different game?) games now and even though the core is a space sim you're supposed to not actually start with a ship and have to work your way towards earning one as crew for other people... oh, and if you play through squadron 42 you can "hopefully" make enough money to get a starter ship. Could you imagine that experience for someone that walks into a brick and mortar and sees this game on the shelf once it's gone gold 7 years from now?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MMD3 posted:

Is this seriously how the game is supposed to be? I drop in like once a year to check on status and this time I bit off way more than I can chew.

So they are effectively developing two (or 3? does space marines count as a different game?) games now and even though the core is a space sim you're supposed to not actually start with a ship and have to work your way towards earning one as crew for other people... oh, and if you play through squadron 42 you can "hopefully" make enough money to get a starter ship. Could you imagine that experience for someone that walks into a brick and mortar and sees this game on the shelf once it's gone gold 7 years from now?

no one knows how anything will actually work, including croberts :ssh:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So the real game I paid for is an extremely elaborate ARG that spans Reddit, SA, the CIG forums, and multiple livejournal accounts.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The great dream of all whales is naturally that a new player can't actually ever own a ship so that they have to work on their crew forever like the wageslaves they are.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

MMD3 posted:

Developing two games: Actually more than that, they're breaking the single player up into "Episodes" to milk it just a little further. So we're up to 4 total games (planned, not released).

Not starting with a ship: This is just some reddit sperg bullshit. Every package comes with a starter ship and probably always will. There has never been and probably never will be a compelling reason to operate as crew on another person's ship, but Citizens like to circlejerk about how important they are because they've bought various large ships. Can't be important if nobody's there to see you, so they come up with elaborate fantasies in which space-serfs will be forced to crew their autism chariots. It'll never happen.

Getting a ship through S42: I don't think I've ever seen that mentioned anywhere official. But it seems likely they'll do something similar just to force people to buy/play the single player game, since Chris is focused on it.

Seeing this game on the shelf in 7 years: Pure fantasy.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Glad they used 4 different motion cap studios to capture this retard's performance with such fidelity.

"Commander Lesnick, prepare to set sperg wallets to full rape."

"YES SIR!"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MMD3 posted:

Things might have changed since the last time I checked in, but Croberts said a while ago that you're definitely going to start out with a ship. That dude's retarded. Notice his "High Admiral" flair, which means he spent an actual assload of money on this game. He just doesn't want to be equal to the spacepoors, that's all.

G0RF posted:

Now imagine this has been shot from 150 angles...

I hope there's a way to make a ship skin that is just that clip repeated over and over on every surface. Chris it's my DREAM, please make it happen.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Sarsapariller posted:

Not starting with a ship: This is just some reddit sperg bullshit. Every package comes with a starter ship and probably always will. There has never been and probably never will be a compelling reason to operate as crew on another person's ship, but Citizens like to circlejerk about how important they are because they've bought various large ships. Can't be important if nobody's there to see you, so they come up with elaborate fantasies in which space-serfs will be forced to crew their autism chariots. It'll never happen.

This is the part I find the most hilarious, they're so worried about griefers in other ships that none of them have figured out the huge griefing potential of having random internet strangers man stations on your own ship.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Dude have you not seen the video? holy poo poo, just in case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8

No. No I hadn't. Now I'm laughing more than ever at the “fidelity” displayed — it's a pretty good simulation of a mid-00's game, circa Oblivion beta or so.

Are we sure CRobber didn't accidentally license Gamebryo rather than Cryengine?

The Kins posted:

It looks like a screenshot from a Youtube video compared to high-res/promo images.

Yeah, so there's video compression on top, but that's still pretty horrible.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Things might have changed since the last time I checked in, but Croberts said a while ago that you're definitely going to start out with a ship. That dude's retarded. Notice his "High Admiral" flair, which means he spent an actual assload of money on this game. He just doesn't want to be equal to the spacepoors, that's all.

I hope there's a way to make a ship skin that is just that clip repeated over and over on every surface. Chris it's my DREAM, please make it happen.

Notice the dead eyes, to her acting is just moving your mouth, why yes my name is Marlon brando, why do you ask? :smuggo:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Won't insurance scams be really easy in this 'game'?

Buy a ship
Invite someone you know onto your ship
Have them kill you and steal your ship.
Respawn
Claim insurance, have a duplicated ship.

What, are your space premiums going to increase?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Someone should get that entire scene of the potato face man, edit out all the dialogue and then just put in their own dialogue going "HHHRRRNGH" "HAAAAGHH" "BLEEEURGHH" *random fart noises and slidewhistles*

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MMD3 posted:

There are four games planned. Three are related (Squadron 42 Episode 1, 2, and 3) and then Star Citizen.

Squadron 42 is a single player open-world space simulation game with tactical shooter elements where you play the role of a rookie pilot who does... stuff. Apparently Mark Hamill is your boss and you're stationed on an old rear end ship called the Stanton. By the looks of things you somehow end up on a mining station. Also Gary Oldman plays a crazy-rear end admiral who runs off into Vanduul space to kick rear end and chew bubblegum. Or something. I don't know CIG has been insanely quiet about the actual story. I believe starships are involved.

Star Citizen is a massively multiplayer open-world space simulation game with tactical shooter elements that supposedly begins once you've finished your career in Squadron 42. Or I guess you can just spawn a completely new guy or something. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support the assertion that you would start the game without a ship. More likely your new character will have a starter ship like the Aurora or Mustang that game with your game purchase, although I wouldn't be surprised if CIG tried to sell upgraded starter packages with higher ranked vessels for more money. Who the gently caress knows. Either way where Squadron 42 is about being a badass fighter pilot who gets to watch cut scenes reliving the days when Chris directed Wing Commander, Star Citizen is about being a random shmuck who can fly a starship. If your guy doesn't have a starship then you can fly other people's ships as part of a job, or be a co-pilot and play the shield management game, or play engineer and play the ship repair game, or be a flight attendant and play the drink mixing game, or be a miner and play the mining game, or be a AV repair guy and play the AV equipment repair game, or be a turret gunner and suck at killing things, or be a farmer and play the farming game, or be a researcher and do the research game, or be a boarder and claw your eyes out waiting for something interesting to happen, or be a refinery operator and play the refinery game, or be a medic and play the healing game, or be a news reporter and play the image enhancement game, or be an explorer and play the sensor game, or be a technician and play the overclocking game, or be an electronics guy and play the electronic warfare game, or be a gas miner and play the gas harvesting game, or be a racer and play the racing game, or be a rover operator and play the rover game, or be a cargo handler and play the cargo handling game, or be a space station manager and play the space station management game, or be a missile operator and play the missile loading game, or be a computer nerd and play the hacking game, or be whatever else I forgot has been promised in this game about starships.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Tippis posted:

No. No I hadn't. Now I'm laughing more than ever at the “fidelity” displayed — it's a pretty good simulation of a mid-00's game, circa Oblivion beta or so.

Are we sure CRobber didn't accidentally license Gamebryo rather than Cryengine?

Holy poo poo, could you imagine if this entire time they had gamebryo? They've pulled so much poo poo I really wouldn't be surprised.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Junkozeyne posted:

The great dream of all whales is naturally that a new player can't actually ever own a ship so that they have to work on their crew forever like the wageslaves they are.

The great dream of all Goons is being able to do this and then shoot the whale in the head so you can take his autism chariot and crash it into the sun.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Won't insurance scams be really easy in this 'game'?

Buy a ship
Invite someone you know onto your ship
Have them kill you and steal your ship.
Respawn
Claim insurance, have a duplicated ship.

What, are your space premiums going to increase?

Supposedly if you do this enough the game will revoke your insurance.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There are four games planned. Three are related (Squadron 42 Episode 1, 2, and 3) and then Star Citizen.

Squadron 42 is a single player open-world space simulation game with tactical shooter elements where you play the role of a rookie pilot who does... stuff. Apparently Mark Hamill is your boss and you're stationed on an old rear end ship called the Stanton. By the looks of things you somehow end up on a mining station. Also Gary Oldman plays a crazy-rear end admiral who runs off into Vanduul space to kick rear end and chew bubblegum. Or something. I don't know CIG has been insanely quiet about the actual story. I believe starships are involved.

Star Citizen is a massively multiplayer open-world space simulation game with tactical shooter elements that supposedly begins once you've finished your career in Squadron 42. Or I guess you can just spawn a completely new guy or something. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support the assertion that you would start the game without a ship. More likely your new character will have a starter ship like the Aurora or Mustang that game with your game purchase, although I wouldn't be surprised if CIG tried to sell upgraded starter packages with higher ranked vessels for more money. Who the gently caress knows. Either way where Squadron 42 is about being a badass fighter pilot who gets to watch cut scenes reliving the days when Chris directed Wing Commander, Star Citizen is about being a random shmuck who can fly a starship. If your guy doesn't have a starship then you can fly other people's ships as part of a job, or be a co-pilot and play the shield management game, or play engineer and play the ship repair game, or be a flight attendant and play the drink mixing game, or be a miner and play the mining game, or be a AV repair guy and play the AV equipment repair game, or be a turret gunner and suck at killing things, or be a farmer and play the farming game, or be a researcher and do the research game, or be a boarder and claw your eyes out waiting for something interesting to happen, or be a refinery operator and play the refinery game, or be a medic and play the healing game, or be a news reporter and play the image enhancement game, or be an explorer and play the sensor game, or be a technician and play the overclocking game, or be an electronics guy and play the electronic warfare game, or be a gas miner and play the gas harvesting game, or be a racer and play the racing game, or be a rover operator and play the rover game, or be a cargo handler and play the cargo handling game, or be a space station manager and play the space station management game, or be a missile operator and play the missile loading game, or be a computer nerd and play the hacking game, or be whatever else I forgot has been promised in this game about starships.

Are you sure about the open-world part for SQ42?...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zf7go/current_game_size/cylmr5y

Laserpig
Jul 13, 2013

I am not credible.
If SC does turn out to be a huge scam and hilariously fail then the guy in this video is going need years of professional help in order to recover, I fear he will never recover, in fact he will definitely, certainly... commit suicide. Worst of all, he will die a virgin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avoFdZzmpHE

Laserpig fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 4, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Laserpig posted:

If SC does turn out to be a huge scam and hilariously fail then the guy in this video is going need years of professional help in order to recover, I fear he will never recover, in fact he will definitely, certainly... commit suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avoFdZzmpHE

If you've worked hard enough to afford all that poo poo then you know what, more power to you, not surprised he can't show his face though....poor guy.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

If you've worked hard enough to afford all that poo poo then you know what, more power to you, not surprised he can't show his face though....poor guy.

It's like they just subconsciously know they should be ashamed of all this, but since they can't admit it to themselves they decide to go full out into the 'bad internet modafoka' visage lol. Much like that SC dark knight idiot a while back.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Move to BMP instead of JPEG confirmed???

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Junkozeyne posted:

I'm going to guess that crew rewards aren't paid out of the ship owner's pocket, but instead are expected to materialize from the ether ~fidelity~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zelg9/anyone_else_thinking_of_cashing_in_all_their_ships/

• Locked thread