Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

So after reading this I took a quick look on my harddrive, Elite Dangerous uses ~14 GB, Final Fantasy XIV ~20 GB, Guild Wars 2 ~25 GB and Dragon Age: Inquisition ~33 GB. These are all pretty massive games, MMOs and single player with high graphics and huge worlds and it took me about 30s to look up. The really sad part is even though you could go to reddit and tell him that he is talking out of his rear end you'd just get downvoted and his comment even more upvoted. Though of course the Citizens are the ones who have to clear up misconceptions about SC, perpetuated by the evil Derek Smart and his goon army :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

If you've worked hard enough to afford all that poo poo then you know what, more power to you, not surprised he can't show his face though....poor guy.

The most awkward thing about this is the craigslist ad he had to put out to get someone to film him.

"Help Wanted ($250, 2 hours)

Need someone to film gaming rig. Do not look at face. Do not look at eyes. No questions. Payment will come inside limited edition elite dangerous model Anaconda which you will smash to extract resources from."

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Supposedly if you do this enough the game will revoke your insurance.

So if you were griefed enough, you'd have your insurance revoked and have to repurchase that $900 ship you bought with real money?

Holy poo poo that's awesome, this game really is a dream simulator!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The most awkward thing about this is the craigslist ad he had to put out to get someone to film him.

"Help Wanted ($250, 2 hours)

Need someone to film gaming rig. Do not look at face. Do not look at eyes. No questions. Payment will come inside limited edition elite dangerous model Anaconda which you will smash to extract resources from."

I genuinely don't know if you're serious :stonklol:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Junkozeyne posted:

So after reading this I took a quick look on my harddrive, Elite Dangerous uses ~14 GB, Final Fantasy XIV ~20 GB, Guild Wars 2 ~25 GB and Dragon Age: Inquisition ~33 GB. These are all pretty massive games, MMOs and single player with high graphics and huge worlds and it took me about 30s to look up. The really sad part is even though you could go to reddit and tell him that he is talking out of his rear end you'd just get downvoted and his comment even more upvoted. Though of course the Citizens are the ones who have to clear up misconceptions about SC, perpetuated by the evil Derek Smart and his goon army :suicide:

Worth noting: E:D is actually like 3-6g iirc, it just has a weird as poo poo installation path that can result in you having some permutation of: 32 bit original, 64 bit original, 64 bit horizons, beta versions of all of the above, and steam versions of both of all of the above.

It can bloat real drat fast if you don't manually get rid of poo poo you don't need.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

Now imagine this has been shot from 150 angles...

Yep, It'd take some real gut and determination to fap to it.

Edit: A plot you say?

Protagonist is working a backwater job for a slight, or perhaps unorthodox methods, but the important point is that it's humble beginnings surrounded by characters. Then something bad happens, and the backwater is suddenly the center of attention, but oh no, there's nobody around but protagonist and characters, so they're going to have to step up.

And step up they do, each confronting their own issue, perhaps trust, or trauma, but they did it together...or did they, because there's a snake in the grass, ready to stab them in their backs, boo, hiss.

But the stab doesn't work, or the stabber had a change of heart over the stabee. This would be a great point to do big reveal over the slight that landed the protagonist in the backwater and everyone gets together to have a big rousing battle when the reinforcements turn up.

[I may have borrowed a little from every wing commander ever]

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 4, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ash1138 posted:

I don't know how to fight stupid like that. Anyone who thinks that showing that the game is playable means spoiling the story is beyond hope. Surely there is a 10-minute side mission they can use to show off the open world mission system that doesn't spoil the story. That script looks like it's 400+ pages for crying out loud.

haha yeah the stunning story twists and turns are why people go see star wars - what cerebral direction could the new movie go in??? *death star blows up*

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Junkozeyne posted:

Well, GTAV and BF4 are each about ~65gb :v:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Hav posted:

Yep, It'd take some real gut and determination to fap to it.

Hey gryphon we've got a challenge for you..... :unsmigghh:

Laserpig
Jul 13, 2013

I am not credible.
I've been thinking, I might drop $1000 on SC and see what all the fuss is about.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Iglocska posted:

Are you sure about the open-world part for SQ42?...

Nobody knows anything. No one has ever said anything intelligible about what Star Citizen is.

Here's the few things we ARE sure of:

- CIG's only competency is fund raising. They bury their fears in money.
- Chris Roberts is a hack, with a track record of extravagance and failure, and is incapable of designing this game. He buries his fears in daydreams.
- Sandi Gardiner's only interest is fame and adulation. She buries her fears in wrath and cruelty towards others.
- Ben Lesnick is a dumb, talentless fan who used to bury his fears in rabid, vicarious idol-worship. He has literally and figuratively grown into a tortured and cruel perversion of that sad child. He buries his fears in food.
- The CIG community is an unflappable contingent of subnormal, spiteful, developmentally disabled miscreants who have no desire to think, talk, or act on their own behalf. They bury their fears in hype and feigned charity.
- The technical parts of this game are years behind schedule.
- CryEngine was a bad idea, and hacking it continues to occupy the majority of dev cycles.
- The game's scope and lack of clearly defined features makes it literally impossible to deliver, because a team cannot build an undefined product without concrete requirements.
- A small percentage of CIG engineers and artists are truly talented, but most of them are not
- There are literally no capable project managers at CIG, because you cannot manage a project that has no edges and ever-changing requirements
- The likelihood of SC being a good game is near-zero
- The likelihood of CIG going bankrupt before SC can be made is non-zero

Did I miss anything?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Toops posted:

Nobody knows anything. No one has ever said anything intelligible about what Star Citizen is.

- Chris Roberts is a hack, with a track record of extravagance and failure, and is incapable of designing this game. He buries his fears in daydreams.
- Sandi Gardiner's only interest is fame and adulation. She buries her fears in wrath and cruelty towards others.
- Ben Lesnick is a dumb, talentless fan who used to bury his fears in rabid, vicarious idol-worship. He has literally and figuratively grown into a tortured and cruel perversion of that sad child. He buries his fears in food.
- The CIG community is an unflappable contingent of subnormal, spiteful, developmentally disabled miscreants who have no desire to think, talk, or act on their own behalf. They bury their fears in hype and feigned charity.
- CryEngine was a bad idea, and hacking it continues to occupy the majority of dev cycles.
- The game's scope and lack of clearly defined features makes it literally impossible to deliver, because a team cannot build an undefined product without concrete requirements.
- A small percentage of CIG engineers and artists are truly talented, but most of them are not
- There are literally no capable project managers at CIG, because you cannot manage a project that has no edges and ever-changing requirements

Did I miss anything?
- Gary Oldman has a puffy face

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Lowtax posted:

edit:

:gary: :yarg:

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 4, 2016

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Lord of War is a pretty good movie, ergo Star Citizen is destined to be a rousing success

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Dude have you not seen the video? holy poo poo, just in case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8
The facecap is perfect.

And here's a happy fan

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Toops posted:

Did I miss anything?

When you put it like that, it doesn't seem as bleak as it really is.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You know what makes games fun?

Having to buy insurance in-game.

Imagine having to buy insurance in GTA instead of just saving cars in garages. Or paying a fine to get them back from impound. No, those ideas are too easy and fun! Instead you have to pay for insurance!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

"heh, heh, Uh, uh uh uh heh"

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Codependent Poster posted:

Imagine having to buy insurance in GTA instead of just saving cars in garages. Or paying a fine to get them back from impound. No, those ideas are too easy and fun! Instead you have to pay for insurance!

It was fun in EvE where you could then suicide your ship(s) into some unsuspecting nerd, have your buddy scoop his poo poo, and make a tidy profit on the insurance payout + loot.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

SelenicMartian posted:

And here's a happy fan

I find his position and movement of hands most disturbing. Even more than those teeth.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It's like he's having a waking nightmare about a sock puppet show.

Laserpig
Jul 13, 2013

I am not credible.

Codependent Poster posted:

If you able to save your ship in a garage then how the gently caress am I supposed to blow it up? Retard

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Lowtax posted:

NO. I. DO. NAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRP!!!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also WTF, the original HALO had better facial animation.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Why do they constantly call it the most open development process ever? It's just youtube videos about nothing and jpgs. Where are the live streaming coders and the nightly builds? Do they do stuff like this or is it just cultists parroting as per usual?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

therobotking posted:

Why do they constantly call it the most open development process ever? It's just youtube videos about nothing and jpgs. Where are the live streaming coders and the nightly builds? Do they do stuff like this or is it just cultists parroting as per usual?

You already know. It's about as open as the scientology prison camp.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

OWLS! posted:

It was fun in EvE where you could then suicide your ship(s) into some unsuspecting nerd, have your buddy scoop his poo poo, and make a tidy profit on the insurance payout + loot.

Yeah, but that's cheating: in EVE, insurance serves a purpose in the in-game economy as an end-of-life transformation of items into money. Before the changes, it also served the purpose of giving base materials value.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It's like he's having a waking nightmare about a sock puppet show.

He just has hilariously itchy balls.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

therobotking posted:

They call things whatever CIG calls them, so at the moment we are in alpha, even though it isn't.
It's a unique game breaking new ground and doing the impossible which it isn't.
It's more open than any other game ever which it isn't.

But if CIG says that's what it is then the backers truly think it must be. After all, CIG wouldn't lie, would they?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CrazyLoon posted:

I find his position and movement of hands most disturbing. Even more than those teeth.
He's slightly smoother animated in the video (around 4:43) but I was using an online gif maker and couldn't clearly see if I got all the frames in the right order.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

G0RF posted:

Now imagine this has been shot from 150 angles...

I've always heard that acting is in the eyes, but never really understood it until now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

therobotking posted:

Same reason everything is fine and they've already released "dozens" of hours of gameplay.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Iglocska posted:

Yes. It was revealed at CitizenCon 2015 and was also mentioned in the PC Gamer article.

quote:

Squadron 42 will take place in a small area of Star Citizen’s overall galaxy—but that’s ‘small’ in a galactic sense. It’s a massive chunk of space, and, the team promises, completely open. They say you’ll be able to fly freely between stations and star systems, pursuing both the main story and secondary, optional missions. As Barclay gives me a tour of the level I can see markers on the vast starfield behind it, indicating distant worlds. This is to make moving around such an enormous space a lot easier for the developers.

Barclay also talks briefly about so-called ‘secondary stories’ that will populate the open world. These self-contained narratives will, he says, be open to interpretation, comparing them to The Chinese Room’s post-apocalyptic Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture. He won’t elaborate further on this, and gives no specific examples, but it certainly piques my interest. It’s amazing just how many different ideas they’re trying to squeeze in.

Yet SC doesn't have scope creep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ePYE2hd3I
Jump to 1:26:15

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

therobotking posted:

You just don't know what open development looks like. Here. Let me show you:

January 2015

"YAY!"
*jpegs*

February 2015
*silence*
*jpegs*

March 2015
*silence*
*jpegs*

April 2015
*silence*
*jpegs*

May 2015
"Hey CIG, where's FPS?"
*silence*
*jpegs*

June 2015
*silence*
*jpegs*

July 2015
"Hey guys, FPS is indefinitely delayed but we're going to give you weekly puff pieces about how great it's going!"
"Hey CIG, is that true, like Chris said to the media and not us?"
"Nope, weeks not months away guys"
*jpegs*

August 2015
*puff piece x 4*
*jpegs*

September 2015
*puff piece x 4*
*jpegs*

October 2015
"HEY GUYS ALPHA 2.0 LOOK OVER HERE!!!"
*jpegs*

November 2015
*jpegs*
*janky shortbus sim*

December 2015
*jpegs*

January 2016
*silence*
*jpegs*

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Iglocska posted:

That was the whole point of the latest blurb on PC Gamer titled "Inside Squadron 42: Star Citizen's ambitious singleplayer campaign." Supposedly it won't be the entire SC open world, but inter-system travel is supposed to be part of it. Supposedly.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

haha yeah the stunning story twists and turns are why people go see star wars - what cerebral direction could the new movie go in??? *death star blows up*
Strangely enough, the trailers didn't spoil much of anything, jerks on the internet did.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

because they couldnt think of anything else for the crew to do besides gunning
Sort of. It's the same deal with the repair job requiring two people and an elaborate minigame: needless complexity for the sake of justifying non-pilot roles. But obviously you won't be able to crew your multi-crew ship with players all of the time, especially if they're doing nothing most of the time. So will there be AI crewmates? Who knows?! Will they be inferior to human crewmates so there's an advantage to dragging your friends along? Who knows?!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

Barclay also talks briefly about so-called ‘secondary stories’ that will populate the open world. These self-contained narratives will, he says, be open to interpretation, comparing them to The Chinese Room’s post-apocalyptic Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture. He won’t elaborate further on this, and gives no specific examples, but it certainly piques my interest. It’s amazing just how many different ideas they’re trying to squeeze in.

What does this even mean? Why are they trying to put vague philosophical stories in a space opera

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ash1138 posted:

Strangely enough, the trailers didn't spoil much of anything, jerks on the internet did.
...star wars has all the complicated story beats of "the cat in the hat", spoilers shouldn't affect it at all

e: the point being that I suspect the star citizen story to be the same way and so the "well we're not gonna *SPOIL* anything" is just a bald excuse to not reveal their own lies about their progress

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 4, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

It’s amazing just how many different ideas they’re trying to squeeze in.

Yeah. It really is. Not in a good way.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I'm watching the Wing Commander Movie, and it appears that Chris Roberts design ethos permeates the fictional universe, as well as the movie.

At the start of the film, they hit the destruct button on "Literally the most important military secret ever, do not capture or humanity goes extinct" only to be greeted by a robot female voice <destruct system failed> there is no backup system and no way to manually destroy it, a real Chris Roberts-style design.

Later Matthew Lillard's love interest needs to eject, but its offline. Must be in pre-alpha 2.0 on the ship system update.

And the main plot is that earth forces left literally zero defense ships for earth, so a single tiny WWII carrier that's also a WWII submarine but in space is the only thing defending earth. I guess the fleet never bothered to create a design document, much like Chris Roberts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

One thing to point out here guys: people bitched about all these milestones being missed on the RSI forums (very few ppl mind you, and they've mostly been hosed right out of those forums by Lesnick and his henchmen).

But nobody cared about the Squadron 42 deadline being missed.

Nobody even noticed.

• Locked thread