Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nice LEDs but who is buying an led from them. Let's get to the OLEDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sorry this is off topic and not at all what you asked but is that a toolbox in your living room?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Glad to see this thread already confirmed that I should just pull the trigger on an LG OLED. If only the 65s weren't SO much more expensive than the reasonable 55.

Now the real question... should I bother with 4K? I honestly don't give a poo poo and the TV will be viewed from about 10 feet away.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Fuzz posted:

Glad to see this thread already confirmed that I should just pull the trigger on an LG OLED. If only the 65s weren't SO much more expensive than the reasonable 55.

Now the real question... should I bother with 4K? I honestly don't give a poo poo and the TV will be viewed from about 10 feet away.

The 4K LG is literally the best consumer 65" display you can buy and the current model is completely compliant with forthcoming UHD BDs. That said, the jump to 4K is relatively minor compared to the differences you get with just OLED itself. If the premium is okay on your wallet, by all means go ahead, but you could do a lot of other (very fun) things with two or three grand (e.g., upgrading front speakers, Atmos/DTS-X setup, blow).

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 4, 2016

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Coredump posted:

Sorry this is off topic and not at all what you asked but is that a toolbox in your living room?

It is! I live in a studio apartment with no garage or lockable outdoor storage and also happen to have a lot of tools so I have no where else to put the thing. The picture basically shows a third of my entire apartment with the front third taken up by my bed/dresser and the middle third for my desk/workspace. It does have a full kitchen and bathroom so I don't complain and it's inexpensive for the area.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fuzz posted:

The biggest question is if you can handle 55" or you need 65". They don't and likely won't make a 65" in 1080p.

I waffle between the 2 screen sizes and am likely going to go 65" because I am viewing from a similar distance.

If I could handle the 55" size I'd get the EC9100 if/when it goes on sale for 1300-1400.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

So when I was poking around for a budget flat-screen I came on last year's Sony KDL48W600B. Seems to do well in general-purpose reviews; does anyone here have an opinion on it?

I purchased the 40" model from an Amazon flash sale after Thanksgiving, and have had a good experience with it. The interface ui stuff from the remote took a bit of fiddling to realize the settings were found under Apps/Sen, but it has a little optimization thing it does to turn on quickly after your initial setup. The software update the tv prompts you to do before you can use apps thankfully doesn't take too long. I am currently using an indoor antenna to pickup local stations and scanning for channels can take a bit of time, however.

The screen looks great in my opinion. This is my first personal hdtv, but I can't really complain considering the price I snagged it at (~$360). I've noticed no input lag playing on a Wii U, I imagine movies from a proper bluray player would play well.

I looked up color/picture settings online, but I couldn't find any actual guides for the set itself, just random YouTube clips, sorry I can't help you with anything definitive there.

I'd say the 48" is probably a winner for you if you have been eyeing a Sony. I've been following that set since it came out.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 4, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coolnezzz posted:

It is! I live in a studio apartment with no garage or lockable outdoor storage and also happen to have a lot of tools so I have no where else to put the thing. The picture basically shows a third of my entire apartment with the front third taken up by my bed/dresser and the middle third for my desk/workspace. It does have a full kitchen and bathroom so I don't complain and it's inexpensive for the area.

I like it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Coolnezzz posted:

Since I've been watching more and playing less I recently started building out my home (apartment) theater setup. I'm looking for an excellent blu-ray player to match my new Visio M60-C3 TV and Onkyo TX-SR343 Receiver. From what I've looked into, I think I'm good with this setup for at least the next 5 years (HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, 4K/UHD TV/receiver with an excellent 5.1 audio setup: Polk RTI A1 surrounds, CSI A4 center, and PSW10 subwoofer) , the picture and audio quality is outstanding to me and I'm really happy with my purchases. What I'm not happy with is the $30 blu-ray player in my home theater PC which has had problems playing some of my blu-rays. I'm most interested in the best possible video/audio quality from a stand alone blu-ray player that I will be connecting to my receiver. Not looking for one with tons of apps as I have several other ways to get that content to my TV, I just want a great blu-ray player to match and am looking for suggestions.

Also any advice for my speaker placement? Rocking some super cheap Ikea tables and the center speaker is currently sitting on top of my HTPC + the box my xbone came in. It looks tacky to say the least.

Thanks!

I hilariously stuffed this thing into the back of my Fiesta ST with my buddy in the passenger seat. We had to move our seats all the way forward, it was comically clown car-ish. The Best Buy guy was impressed.

edit: after an hour of reading reviews, I'm leaning towards the Samsung BD-J7500, even though I do not need the 3D capability. My budget is up to $250 for what it's worth.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-J7500-Upscaling-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00U0UXYRQ/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Just buy a PS4. It's basically the best bd player you can buy and it comes with the bonus of being able to play games.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Lack of IR supports means the ps4 is not the best bd player you can buy

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

veedubfreak posted:

Just buy a PS4. It's basically the best bd player you can buy

Unless something changed dramatically recently, this is extremely not true. PS4 scored worse than the PS3 on Spears & Munsil test disc. Blu-ray playback seems to be an afterthought on it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
We were watching Sicario the other night. There's a scene near the end of the film where Benicio Del Toro is in the back seat of a car and its very dark, having a conversation in Spanish. The second the white subtitles came on, the bottom third of the TV lights up and you lose the great dark colors. This is an intrinsic element of a LED/LCD screen right? It's not something I'd experienced before having plasmas for a decade. Really loving annoying when it happens tho.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yes, this is edge local dimming. FALD (full array local dimming) mitigates it some, but you will still see bright blooms with the size of the bloom depending on how many zones the array has.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ammanas posted:

We were watching Sicario the other night. There's a scene near the end of the film where Benicio Del Toro is in the back seat of a car and its very dark, having a conversation in Spanish. The second the white subtitles came on, the bottom third of the TV lights up and you lose the great dark colors. This is an intrinsic element of a LED/LCD screen right? It's not something I'd experienced before having plasmas for a decade. Really loving annoying when it happens tho.

Yes because the way an lcd works is its a clear glass with the display on it and a backlight lights it up.

Plasma/oled doesn't do this because its the pixels themselves lighting up.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
The PS4 is not even close to the best blu-ray player one can buy. For one, it isn't even region-free for BD playback.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Oh, well then, consider me corrected. Back when I bought my PS3, it was pretty much the only BD player on the market that could actually keep itself updated correctly. I just figured the PS4 was the same way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People kept spouting that for years when virtually any player could rival or best it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I never had a standalone BD player but were they actually worse than a PS3? PS3s were noisy, hot, slow to boot up and constantly required updates to add dumb poo poo like photo albums.

Early BD players must have been downright horrible.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I think until ~2008 the PS3 was the logical option, but it was bested by standalones once the BD Spec was more mature and Blu-Ray was the only game left in town.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

When blu-ray first came out, the PS3 was one of the few players that had enough power to run the lovely java layer acceptability.

However, we've since had SoCs come out that can handle that crap natively in hardware on low power chips that don't need fans for under $100.

No reason to add a dedicated player if you already have a game system and you can deal with its noise and control mechanisms. But a cheap player is tiny and should work well.

Hopefully, 4k players should be able to build on that. 4k is included in the SoCs that are out there now and Amazon and Roku can do 4k on tiny boxes. I wouldn't put it past them to tack on some lovely new feature that bloats out the players again and makes them $400.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a stand-alone blu-ray player [Sony S5500] because I wanted to save wear and tear on my PS4 and use a real remote [the PS4 remote hadn't even been announced], it's a little better at handling dirty Netflix discs than the PS4 was but it's a little annoying on streaming services.

Ultra HD players barely exist and I think the only one actually for sale is over $1000. Wait a couple years.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just get Sony BDP-S5500 if you need 3d S3500 if you don't. Both under 100.

Or get the Oppo BDP-103D if you have lots of money.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

priznat posted:

I never had a standalone BD player but were they actually worse than a PS3? PS3s were noisy, hot, slow to boot up and constantly required updates to add dumb poo poo like photo albums.

Early BD players must have been downright horrible.

Early bluray players could take a long time to load. Some 10+ minutes

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

qirex posted:

Ultra HD players barely exist and I think the only one actually for sale is over $1000. Wait a couple years.

The lovely thing is, there's no reason for the price premium. The BOM has to barely be more than current players. You just have to read marginally more dense discs (33gb per layer instead of 25gb) and be able to decode HEVC (which sub $100 media players can already do.)

If licensing of all the stuff is enough to inflate the price that much, then the format is screwed before it even starts.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bom is little to do with cost of most consumer electronics.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

Bom is little to do with cost of most consumer electronics.

True, but there's not much more to the UHD blu-ray that justifies a huge R&D recoup either. This is purely about propping up margins by creating a perceived premium product.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Don Lapre posted:

Early bluray players could take a long time to load. Some 10+ minutes

Jesus wept. I hardly bought any BDs just because I found the ps3 annoying for watching movies. And it was way better than that.

Still I hope physical media is dead for good soon. I used to care more about image quality than I do now and I'll forgive a lower quality bitrate for the convenience of streaming.

If I can rip my own 4k BDs to a NAS for streaming that would be best of both worlds!

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I give UHD Blu-Rays like a month before they crack the encryption. Between AnyDVD/Guys on Doom9/MakeMKV somebody will figure it out and it'll be reverse engineered for the masses soon enough.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's a new logo to start looking for on UHD TVs.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160104006605/en/UHD-Alliance-Defines-Premium-Home-Entertainment-Experience

The UHD alliance has created a spec that a TV must reach (resolution, contrast, brightness, colorspace) for it to get the UHD Premium badge.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's also Dolby Vision certification but that will probably only be on laser projectors and that $10k Panasonic OLED.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Vizio r series is Dolby vision

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

when r they going to release it

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

:golfclap:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/05/lg-4k-oled-tv-hdr-partnership/

EIGHT new 4k OLED models for 2016. No word on price or release date yet.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 5, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bull3964 posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/05/lg-4k-oled-tv-hdr-partnership/

EIGHT new 4k OLED models for 2016. No word on price or release date yet.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/lg-65e6/

quote:

Pricing was not announced, although LG's rep told CNET that the 65-inch size in the flagship G6 series should come in at "less than $10,000." It will ship in the first quarter of 2016, as will the sets in the E6 series. The C6 and B6 models will arrive later in the first half of the year.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Neat, HDR support means LG hopefully threw away the awful brightness control on the 9300.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Originally, before I bought my PS3, I built a media pc with the intent to be able to play both BD and HD-DVD. I still have that player in fact running in my current pc. This was back before BD had truly won the war and HD-DVD went away. The biggest problem was finding a program that would play BD properly. There were lots of movies coming out that required me to go and update to a new codec and it became more effort that it was worth. When I finally started looking for a dedicated BD player, even the cheap ones were only slightly cheaper than the PS3, so I went that route. Don't think I ever tried a movie that the PS3 couldn't play, where as my media pc would almost always have issues with a brand new release BD.

Had that PS3 until about a month ago when I decided to go ahead and get a PS4 because I had almost 200 bucks in BBY rewards from buying my new tv, so I just assumed Sony had stayed on top of their game.

Should I hang on to my PS3 for dedicated BD playback or is there not enough of a difference between the 3 and 4 for playback to matter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If the flagship super thin TV is under $10k, that means good things about the three levels under it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

veedubfreak posted:

Originally, before I bought my PS3, I built a media pc with the intent to be able to play both BD and HD-DVD. I still have that player in fact running in my current pc. This was back before BD had truly won the war and HD-DVD went away. The biggest problem was finding a program that would play BD properly. There were lots of movies coming out that required me to go and update to a new codec and it became more effort that it was worth. When I finally started looking for a dedicated BD player, even the cheap ones were only slightly cheaper than the PS3, so I went that route. Don't think I ever tried a movie that the PS3 couldn't play, where as my media pc would almost always have issues with a brand new release BD.

Had that PS3 until about a month ago when I decided to go ahead and get a PS4 because I had almost 200 bucks in BBY rewards from buying my new tv, so I just assumed Sony had stayed on top of their game.

Should I hang on to my PS3 for dedicated BD playback or is there not enough of a difference between the 3 and 4 for playback to matter.

Main difference is some region free 25/50 fps blu-rays (if you're in north america) won't work on the ps3 but will work on the ps4.

Now wrt to games the ps4 is not backwards compatible with the ps3 so if you were using it for more than BD playback keep that in mind.

edit: Other difference is the ps3's native codec support for stuff off of a usb stick/ps3 media server is better than the ps4's media player app that they added a few months ago. Kind of a moot point now though since the PS4's plex player works fine and doesn't need plex pass anymore so you can just go that route if you have to play stuff off of the ps4.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ya'll got to get one of these so you can have your new OLED next to your hot tub.