Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My desktop is still stuck on build 10240, what's the easiest way of forcing it to update to the current (non-Insider) build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My desktop is still stuck on build 10240, what's the easiest way of forcing it to update to the current (non-Insider) build?

Download the Media Creation Tool and run it. Easy peasy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cool, thanks. I did consider using the tool, but it doesn't tell you what build you're upgrading to when you click install so I wasn't entirely certain what it was planning on doing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Cool, thanks. I did consider using the tool, but it doesn't tell you what build you're upgrading to when you click install so I wasn't entirely certain what it was planning on doing.

Just make sure you download the latest version of the tool itself as the original ones from July just download build 10240.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 2, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Also if you try to download from Not Windows it'll just give you an ISO installer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok I have a Win 7 Pro device with an old style rotational drive, and want to upgrade to a CLEAN install of Win 10 Pro on an SSD drive.

I'm thinking that I just do the Win 10 Media Creation Tool on to a USB 3.0 thumb drive, power down the machine, swap in the new SSD drive, and boot from the USB 3.0 thumb drive and plug in my Win 10 Pro upgrade key - right?

Or will the hard drive swap cause an issue?

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Phoenixan posted:

I've had this issue before and turning off the fast startup option fixed all of it. It's buried under the power settings.
Did both this and install the INF-updater from Intel (there is none for win10 so I used the win8.1 one), but to no avail. I think I've tried all USB-ports but I guess I'll have a go at it again, otherwise I'm back to square 1 I guess :arghfist:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Ok I have a Win 7 Pro device with an old style rotational drive, and want to upgrade to a CLEAN install of Win 10 Pro on an SSD drive.

I'm thinking that I just do the Win 10 Media Creation Tool on to a USB 3.0 thumb drive, power down the machine, swap in the new SSD drive, and boot from the USB 3.0 thumb drive and plug in my Win 10 Pro upgrade key - right?

Or will the hard drive swap cause an issue?

This should be how you do it:

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Based on my hardware upgrade experience, here's what I'd do:

0. Use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB installer for Windows 10.
1. Do the Windows 10 upgrade on your current hardware configuration. Hopefully, your clicking hard drive won't conk out in the meantime.
2. Boot into the new OS and confirm it is activated.
3. Shut down the computer and remove the hard drive, replacing it with just the SSD.
4. Boot to the USB you created in step 0 and do a Custom Install (this will be a clean install).
5. After installation and initial setup is done, confirm Windows is activated.
6. Do the rest of the hardware upgrade.

I used those steps to do a clean install on my child's old laptop that I now own, skipping the replacement part of Step 3, and all of Step 6.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Installing Win10 on the old spinner drive can take hours though. Faster method that I've done on piles of work laptops:

1) Install Produkey on your old hard drive to find the Windows 7/8 25-character key
2) Write it down, switch the old hard drive with the new SSD
3) Boot with the creation tool and clean install Win10
4) Get the PC online, go to the activation wizard and punch in your old Win7/8 key and it'll activate instantly

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I'm thinking of taking the leap and jumping from windows 8.1 to 10 Tonight, is windows 10 still a buggy nightmare? is there a risk of losing everything? or is it safe to upgrade nowadays?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm thinking of taking the leap and jumping from windows 8.1 to 10 Tonight, is windows 10 still a buggy nightmare? is there a risk of losing everything? or is it safe to upgrade nowadays?

It's safe, I'd just do it. Backup your important poo poo first just to make sure but it's probably not needed.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Yeah just make sure to get the November 1511 version. Its great

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Upgraded, made sure to use custom install to get rid of blatant Microsoft creepy spying, works great, thanks!

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Is there a trusted source for the SHA1 checksum of the November 1511 ISO's?

It's so much easier and quicker to get an ISO over bittorrent and then check it hasn't been altered before use.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

DeaconBlues posted:

It's so much easier and quicker to get an ISO over bittorrent and then check it hasn't been altered before use.

The Media Creation Tool maxes out my connection when I download the ISOs. Does it not use all your bandwidth or something?

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
My daily OS is Linux. I could fire up a windows VM I suppose.

Edit: Some checksums in this post, for the threshold 2 (1511 editions):

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/downloads/161880-windows-10-threshold-2-iso-links.html#post1385719

DeaconBlues fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 3, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Zero VGS posted:

Installing Win10 on the old spinner drive can take hours though. Faster method that I've done on piles of work laptops:

1) Install Produkey on your old hard drive to find the Windows 7/8 25-character key
2) Write it down, switch the old hard drive with the new SSD
3) Boot with the creation tool and clean install Win10
4) Get the PC online, go to the activation wizard and punch in your old Win7/8 key and it'll activate instantly

Yeah, this works well and if you're using USB install media you can just save a text file with the key straight from the old 7/8 install to USB. Once you boot up into the installer, hit Shift-F10 to call up a command prompt and "type <file>" to print the contents of the file to the command prompt. You can then just copy the key and paste it in when the installer asks to be done with activation.

A couple other things I've noticed:
The installer may give you an error at the partitioning step if you have the removable install media set as the first boot device. Set the install target as the first boot device and use the one-time boot menu to boot from the removable drive to avoid this.
BIOS systems (that is, not EFI) may need some space on whatever the partitioning step sees as "Disk 0" to write an MBR, even if you're using another disk as the target. You should be able to temporarily remove or disable this disk to get around it if you need to.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone knows what happens when you pull the rug from under the Insider Preview? I.e. swapping mainboard and CPU? Will it keep on working or will it deactivate or something?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Finally got updated to the current build, works a treat, Edge still not got the features it needs to be my daily driver. Cortana being completely unable to search for anything hasn't happened yet, so I assume that got fixed, which was my number one complaint.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Jeoh posted:

wormil posted:

My app store hasn't worked in months, apps don't work either, and other stuff like file search, the start menu, icons, just stop and start working at random. Apps don't even show up properly on the menu. Is there some kind of fix for this stuff? A reliable guide? I googled and tried some things but it f'd s- up really bad and I had to do a system restore.

For me I nuked my profile and created a new one. Not ideal but it worked. I've opened a case about this with MS a while ago, I'll let you know how it goes.

Did you ever get an update on this Jeoh? I just did an in-place reinstall and it's all still busted. The one thing it fixed was the app names in the start menu now show up (rather than resource id's or w/e) but they still don't actually work.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Factor Mystic posted:

Did you ever get an update on this Jeoh? I just did an in-place reinstall and it's all still busted. The one thing it fixed was the app names in the start menu now show up (rather than resource id's or w/e) but they still don't actually work.

Nope, they're basically saying the same thing: Recreate the profile.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

DeaconBlues posted:

DeaconBlues posted:

My daily OS is Linux. I could fire up a windows VM I suppose.

Edit: Some checksums in this post, for the threshold 2 (1511 editions):

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/downloads/161880-windows-10-threshold-2-iso-links.html#post1385719

If you go to the media creation tool page on anything other than Win7-10 you can download the 1511 ISO directly from MS. And if you are on Win7-10, you can just fake your user agent.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone knows what happens when you pull the rug from under the Insider Preview? I.e. swapping mainboard and CPU? Will it keep on working or will it deactivate or something?

It will deactivate (but it keeps working).

Source: Just did this.

You might be able to beg for a courtesy activation but this is less and less likely post build 1511.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011

astral posted:

If you go to the media creation tool page on anything other than Win7-10 you can download the 1511 ISO directly from MS. And if you are on Win7-10, you can just fake your user agent.

Both the standard and dev editions of FF give me this:

Also tried using Pale Moon. And running Firefox as root.

Anyway, I grabbed a torrent and ran sha1sum on it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Jeoh posted:

Nope, they're basically saying the same thing: Recreate the profile.

What do you mean? Would this give different results than creating a new user profile? Because I did that already and it fixed nothing.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Oh lovely. The December Intel graphics drivers still cause bluescreens if you have hardware acceleration enabled in firefox.

Bluescreenview gives me this. Not sure how useful it is.

010316-6015-01.dmp 03/01/2016 00:06:20 DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 0x0000009f 00000000`00000003 ffffe001`ce05d060 fffff803`f4dfc890 ffffe001`d2e49a50 ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+142760 NT Kernel & System Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 10.0.10586.17 (th2_release.151121-2308) x64 ntoskrnl.exe+142760 C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010316-6015-01.dmp 8 15 10586 769,404 03/01/2016 00:07:00

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lum posted:

Oh lovely. The December Intel graphics drivers still cause bluescreens if you have hardware acceleration enabled in firefox.

010316-6015-01.dmp 03/01/2016 00:06:20 DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 0x0000009f 00000000`00000003 ffffe001`ce05d060 fffff803`f4dfc890 ffffe001`d2e49a50 ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+142760 NT Kernel & System Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 10.0.10586.17 (th2_release.151121-2308) x64 ntoskrnl.exe+142760 C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010316-6015-01.dmp 8 15 10586 769,404 03/01/2016 00:07:00

roughly translated this means: Windows is a real piece of poo poo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Ever since the November Update, I've been getting this popping up from time to time:

This is Outlook 2010. This happens when I'm not trying to send an email intentionally, just when I'm doing other things. Is there any kind of log or whatever to check to figure out what thing is trying to send email through outlook, but not doing it right?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lum posted:

The failure is cited as part of a system component rather than a driver component (not authoritative without debug tools, but worth noting) and the current patch level is 10586.36 while that environment claims to be at .17.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The failure is cited as part of a system component rather than a driver component (not authoritative without debug tools, but worth noting) and the current patch level is 10586.36 while that environment claims to be at .17.

There's no updates available, so I don't know how to fix that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there something wrong with my Calculator app? Half the time it opens behind all the other windows, and even when it's the active window, 95% of the time I have to actively click the number display before it recognises me typing anything on my keyboard. It's the one app that I expect to be really snappy, since I only need to use it for like five seconds at a time, and it's anything but.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is there something wrong with my Calculator app? Half the time it opens behind all the other windows, and even when it's the active window, 95% of the time I have to actively click the number display before it recognises me typing anything on my keyboard. It's the one app that I expect to be really snappy, since I only need to use it for like five seconds at a time, and it's anything but.

Pretty sure Microsoft is just incompetent.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Sounds like the win10 calculator app.

They took the win7 version which loaded instantly and worked every time and replaced it with the win10 version. Which...doesn't do either of those things.

( are you current? That sounds like the pre-release calc, which honest to god sucked. The release version was almost usable and shouldn't be having the issues you mentioned)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, I just updated to the current build a few days ago and it's still a problem. I might check out one of the other calculators in the store.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Can you not just type Calculator in your search window and bring up the old-school calc? Or does that only work for W8?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

slidebite posted:

Can you not just type Calculator in your search window and bring up the old-school calc? Or does that only work for W8?

Yeah they 'fixed' that in 10 so now you have to use the crummy modern version.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Old Calculator for Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.

That is, by far, the worst change in Windows 10.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It's even better when you're on a domain PC where they've broken Windows Store apps somehow via Group Policy. No more calculator. :pwn:

I mean, typing it into Cortana works, but I keep hitting the dumb calculator button on my keyboard.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I had this same problem with Gimp on Win8/8.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small
Aug 18, 2005

If your keyboard is an MS keyboard, try installing the latest MS keyboard software. Or alternatively, uninstall the software altogether if you don't need it. That should fix it.