Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

mostlygray posted:

When I've got a lot of habaneros, I just roast them along side onions and garlic and make hot sauce in little bottles. I cut it about 50/50 with vinegar and blend them up until smooth. Tastes kind of sweet and not too hot at all. It likes a fair amount of salt so taste test as you're boiling the mixture. Shelf stable for years, especially if you process the bottles.

Sambal Oelek is good too but I wonder if habaneros are too spicy.

Roasted tomatillos are a good addition too. Just make sure that you're processing the jars properly and keeping the PH below 4 as mentioned above.

I'm sure this is a really stupid question, but by "process the jars", you mean just boiling & cleaning to sterilize? Or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

rj54x posted:

I'm sure this is a really stupid question, but by "process the jars", you mean just boiling & cleaning to sterilize? Or?

He means boiling waterbath canning. You can process hot sauce in mason jars so it's shelf stable for years, just like people can jam or pickles.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Just picked up some ghost pepper salsa from a local farm, Jones Orchard if you're in West TN, and it's pretty good. Has a nice kick to it, but it's not too extreme. It doesn't feel too hot, but still gives a nice rush.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Used to like Valentina but its flavor is a bit too smoky for me, Cholula is too watery and bland, I like tapatio on just about everything but my fridge is full of all kinds of random hot sauces. I am currently infatuated with Brother Bre-Bre's african sauces.

sharkattack posted:

Same. In fact, I often ask for extra chili paste/pickled chilies/whatever they have on the side when I order. In one specific instance, I had ordered a 5 star hot curry at a Thai place, then asked for the extra chili tray thingy, and literally all of the employees came out one by one to watch me eat it. I was like a sideshow act or something
My boyfriend's parents will never let me live it down, either. Actually, come to think of it...they've done a similar thing to me. One time they sat me down in their house and had me try random spoonfuls of hot sauce from their collection... :stare:
I'm the same way. I've been surprised a couple of times (an especially good tom yum once choked me with the aroma as I took my first bite, goddamn was it ever good once I recovered!) but very often I simply can't get them to get it hot enough.

I remember in home ec class in high school once, I was making mexican food so I'd brought a bunch of stuff including some chips and some really strong habanero hot sauce (a carrot-based one), and was eating big heaping tablespoonfuls of it on tortilla chips while I was making quacamole or something.. Some meathead from the football team was all pissed that I had ingredients I could munch on in class so he grabbed the hot sauce and a chip and dumped a ton on and ate it. He ended up running off to the restrooms when people were laughing at watching him try and drink from the lab-style faucets.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
This poo poo fuckinnnnn OWNS

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

:agreed:

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

I got about 12 beautiful habaneros from a friend and want to try fermenting them.

Do I really need to add some sort of starter culture like whey or sauerkraut brine?

For the small amount I'm making, is there really a need for a fermentation jar?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

eine dose socken posted:

I got about 12 beautiful habaneros from a friend and want to try fermenting them.

Do I really need to add some sort of starter culture like whey or sauerkraut brine?

For the small amount I'm making, is there really a need for a fermentation jar?

You don't need a starter, microbes are already all over the peppers. A starter can help kick things off faster. Sounds like your peppers are from a garden, but if your peppers were irradiated or otherwise sterilized, you might need a starter.

You need a vessel that will keep everything under water, but you don't need a specific picking jar. I used mason jars with cabbage leaves over the peppers. Some people use zip-locks full of water or weights.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 26, 2015

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
So I've been shamelessly soliciting various hot sauce companies into sending care packages to my island and had some good results. I got a bottle of this stuff and, while not strictly hot sauce, it was pretty amazing on grilled chicken breasts. Basically barbecue sauce mixed with habanero mole. The other sauces they sent were pretty good too, but that was definitely the standout.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BraveUlysses posted:

Is that like Nando's the piri-piri chicken place?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BraveUlysses posted:

I bought a bottle of this and had it with chicken and rice for lunch today. Not really that impressed tbh.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Is that like Nando's the piri-piri chicken place?

yes

CommonShore posted:

I bought a bottle of this and had it with chicken and rice for lunch today. Not really that impressed tbh.

bummer, why? not spicy enough?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BraveUlysses posted:

yes

bummer, why? not spicy enough?

Its heat level is fine I suppose. I just don't really find the flavour remarkable. I'll use up the bottle eventually I guess.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So, planted a ghost pepper plant about 6 months ago, and it was a very late bloomer. Started fruiting about a month ago, and that's about how long it took for them to ripen. So... I took 4 of these beauties:

And turned them into this beauty:

It's amazing. It's fruity, bright, smokey, and drat hot. It's actually not overwhelming though. It's definitely got kick to it, but it's a very warm, distributed heat that picks up gradually. By the end of the meal my scalp and forehead were sweating, but I wasn't actually in pain. It's really loving good, and I will be planting more than one plant next year, since it looks like those 4 peppers were the full yield I am going to get before the first freeze.

Very simple recipe:
4 Ghost peppers w/ seeds
3 Small roasted red bell peppers
1 Medium pickled carrot (from a bottle of my homemade pickled jalapenos/serranos)
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup champagne vinegar
1/4 cup water
1Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp granulated garlic

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 1, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made Apple Datil sauce.

http://imgur.com/7Dzw1so

Based a bit on http://adequateman.deadspin.com/how-to-make-apple-habanero-hot-sauce-1733788000 , except 11 tiny datils, 7 apples, no bourbon. 3tbs of sugar, 1 tbs smoked salt, just 1 white onion. Knob of ginger. Instead of water, Apple cider. A jot of liquid smoke. A shake of MSG. It's sweet and smokey and tangy and warm. I mixed some in cream cheese and made pretzel dip. It's magical. Would be great on turkey.

There's more in the canner, cooling. Tiny jars to give to friends, big jar for meeeeee

Who's up for tradesies?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 1, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Doom Rooster posted:

Very simple recipe:
4 Ghost peppers w/ seeds
3 Small roasted red bell peppers
1 Medium pickled carrot (from a bottle of my homemade pickled jalapenos/serranos)
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup champagne vinegar
1/4 cup water
1Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp granulated garlic

I'm going to save this recipe. It's blended, not cooked or anything?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

wormil posted:

I'm going to save this recipe. It's blended, not cooked or anything?

Definitely cooked a bit. Brought it up to a low simmer in a heavily covered pot (still managed to gas the house a bit). I let it simmer for about 10 minutes just to soften everything up, then turned it off and let it cool down to room temp with the lid on, then blended. Raw will definitely affect the finished texture. Won't be nearly as smooth.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

I've met a couple from Barbados, friends of my girlfriend, who are really into hot sauces. He brought over the sauce to the far left, which apparently they make with cucumber in order to offset the hotness. I haven't opened it yet. Anyone familiar with this one?

In the middle is hot sauce they brought back from their last trip. It was made by an old master who made a ton of it and used to sell it in local grocery stores - it would sell out quickly. Unfortunately, he has since passed away, so they hope his son will carry on his legacy and they'll be able to return for more. :unsmith: It's quite hot, lots of scotch bonnet, but has a fruity, tropical flavor. There is fruit in it too, maybe mango. It's delicious!

On the far right is my own creation. Wegmans had a hatch chile weekend back in Aug, so I bought a case of it and thawed a bunch of roasted hatches out, pureed them with some organic cider vinegar and some onion powder. I need to work on viscocity, because my hot sauces are always more like purees or chutneys. I blend the heck out of them, so I guess it's just a matter of adding more liquid?

Anyway that's my hot sauce post and shout out to the sardine crew. :coolfish:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

BraveUlysses posted:

I bought a bottle of their hot level. It isn't hot at all, unfortunately. It is pretty tasty on leftover turkey, though.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

QuarkMartial posted:

I bought a bottle of their hot level. It isn't hot at all, unfortunately. It is pretty tasty on leftover turkey, though.

Should've gone with the extra hot. Not insanely spicy but it has a pleasant piquancy and heat to it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

But Not Tonight posted:

Should've gone with the extra hot. Not insanely spicy but it has a pleasant piquancy and heat to it.

I couldn't find any. They had something like a mild, the hot, and then a garlic-y one. It's not a bad sauce, really, just kind of different than what I'm used to.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

QuarkMartial posted:

I couldn't find any. They had something like a mild, the hot, and then a garlic-y one. It's not a bad sauce, really, just kind of different than what I'm used to.

The garlic one is pretty good. I keep forgetting about it though because it's the only hot sauce I own that requires refrigeration after opening, so I never see it in and among all of my other sauces.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Has anyone ever gone the extra mile of putting a bit of Sodium Benzoate in their homemade hot sauce?

My method has been to keep my original batch of homemade in the fridge in big plastic vinegar bottles and blend it for usage in glass Crystal bottles with a little bit of Red Yucateco. That way I get a bit of preservative action from the commercial hot sauce and my homemade gets stretched a bit further.

Typically I don't consistently fridge the current hot sauce I'm using, but it contains a lot of vinegar anyway.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Gonna add another recommendation that has probably shown up once or twice:

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

http://www.amazon.com/CaJohns-Trinidad-Scorpion-Hot-Sauce/dp/B006VJ9KX2

I have to recommend this sauce since it quickly became my go to for when I just want a tiny amount of sauce but a lot of heat. It starts very mild with a cayenne/red pepper taste and slowly ramps up over the next minute while you eat more and then just slams you in the tongue after a few bites. It's stupidly expensive from Amazon sadly but I think it's cheaper elsewhere.

For that matter I think the scorpion pepper has actually replaced the long enjoyed cayenne as a favorite. It tastes great but the amount needed is way less.

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 4, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

the_paradigm_shift posted:

It's stupidly expensive from Amazon sadly but I think it's cheaper elsewhere.

That is the case with a LOT of good hot sauces... thankfully, I've got a large Caribbean/Islander population near my house, so I can go buy a lot of them at a reasonable price.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Has anyone ever gone the extra mile of putting a bit of Sodium Benzoate in their homemade hot sauce?

Nope, but when the woman and I were obsessing over recreating our own Huy Fong Sriracha, we experimented with using a tiny pinch of black salt to help replicate that flavor. It works well, but you need to be VERY careful with that stuff, or else your food will end up tasting and smelling like low-tide.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I found a huge 34 oz. bottle of Valentina hot sauce at Aldi yesterday for $1.79. I tried some last night and it's...not hot at all. Very disappointing. I'll use it, but probably more for the flavor (which admittedly is not bad) during cooking than for any condiment use.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Which kind did you get? There's 2 versions.

Yellow label (regular):

Black label (extra hot):

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

The Midniter posted:

I found a huge 34 oz. bottle of Valentina hot sauce at Aldi yesterday for $1.79. I tried some last night and it's...not hot at all. Very disappointing. I'll use it, but probably more for the flavor (which admittedly is not bad) during cooking than for any condiment use.

Read the thread noob.

Bum the Sad posted:

rj54x posted:

That, my friend, is why they make this:

That's the only one I'll use. The regular one just tastes like chili powder with no heat at all. The extra hot version though isn't really all that hot at all but it adds just enough heat to make it right.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 4, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like that valentina stuff either way, hot or not. I sometimes use it instead of salsa for dipping corn chips.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

CommonShore posted:

I like that valentina stuff either way, hot or not. I sometimes use it instead of salsa for dipping corn chips.

This. It's a giant bottle for 2 bucks. I like it and it's got a good flavor. No heat, but it's still tasty on chips or in eggs.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

This is decent spritzed on daal.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bum the Sad posted:

Read the thread noob.

Well EXCUUUUUUUSE ME for not pulling out this thread and reading through 15 pages when I got excited after seeing a bigass bottle of hot sauce for $1.79!!!! Come on, you know you'd have some excitement palpitations if you ran across so much hot sauce for so little money anywhere, too.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's OK, you just need to buy more hot sauces now ;)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I wanted something hot, so I got some Dave's Ghost Pepper sauce. It's definitely hot but doesn't taste good. Any ideas for improving the taste?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The Green Dragon hot sauce from Trader Joe's is pretty fantastic.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

xergm posted:

Which kind did you get? There's 2 versions.

Yellow label (regular):

Black label (extra hot):

I really need to get me a bottle of black label, I've been doing a lot of mexican/tex-mex and every time I taste a dish I just pine for mi valentina

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm on my second big bottle of extra hot valentina for the year.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Some hot pepper charts from Imgur:

Neither is 100% accurate, but I like these charts anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

But Not Tonight posted:

I really need to get me a bottle of black label, I've been doing a lot of mexican/tex-mex and every time I taste a dish I just pine for mi valentina

I just picked up a bottle of the black label. It tastes like crap and isn't hot enough. It was super cheap though