Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Tigers & Knights CEOs rejoicing at avoiding the spoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

As if that's protected us from that fate.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Wow. Poor kid. On the other hand, gently caress the Titans and their front office, karma's a bitch.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I think it's great news since Ashley Taylor will be a super buy in fantasy now

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Shame about the promising player with the ruined career but c'mon that's a 128,000k earner

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
He already had the other spot sewn up didn't he?

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

He already had the other spot sewn up didn't he?

Nah they signed Tyrone Roberts to mentor them, probably desperately avoiding the Tigers situation where they ruin a pair of promising young halves with pressure. Taylor would have probably been in-and-out with Elgey but now he'll probably be playing every game and making insane kick metres the entire time

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tyrone will be main half for the Titans now as he is the only half with nrl experience

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

Tyrone will be main half for the Titans now as he is the only half with nrl experience

Jesus H Christ :stare:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was going to make a funny comment but then I felt bad so I didn't post it

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

On the bright side, Taylor will play absolutely free of expectations or pressure since nobody in the entire world will ever expect anything from the Titans this year

ili
Jul 26, 2003

cpaf posted:

On the bright side, Taylor will play absolutely free of expectations or pressure since nobody in the entire world will ever expect anything from the Titans this year

Sure, but the flip side of that is he'll start his NRL career playing alongside either Greg Bird or Tyrone Roberts, and with Nathan Friend at hooker and Josh Hoffman likely at fullback he's going to have to carry the entire team on his back. Even in a spud side with no hopes of winning anything that's going to be a hard job. At least Elgey had a decent halves partner in his breakout year.

Best of luck to him though, he's played well so far and I hope he kicks on in first grade.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Anyone want to make the new thread for 2016? Also, naming suggestions are required.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Rugby League 2016: An offseason free of dogs, drugs and mouthpissing

But that might be a bit premature, still a month and a bit to go

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Now you've jinxed it.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Rugby League 2016: Salaam Alaikum

From Matt Lodge's attempt to introduce league to the US:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/wests-tigers/former-wests-tigers-player-matthew-lodge-pleads-guilty-in-us-court-20151223-glu81g.html posted:

Mr Roemaet allegedly pushed the women back into his apartment and locked the door and Lodge forced himself into Mr Cartright's apartment, where his wife Ruth Fowler and nine-year-old son were.

Lodge allegedly paced inside and said: "My name is Matthew Lodge. I come in peace. Salaam Alaikum," and then walked into the bedroom where Ms Fowler was in bed calling police.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!
My low efforts:

RL2016: Tigers delende est
RL2016: This ugly thing of ours
RL2016: Mad Sucks Manly Road
RL2016: Cold chisel for GF
RL2016: gently caress off Gus
RL2016: Scum of the earth
RL2016; You couldn't make this poo poo up

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

So many teams will be more competitive for the eight this year, which is super exciting. Canberra, Penrith, Warriors, Manly and the Knights should all be improvers, strong teams like Souths, Dogs and the Roosters will probably be weaker but probably not slip to the same extent as Manly did in 2015, the three big salary cheating Non-NSW teams should take their rightful place as the strongest and then the Eels and the Tigers are both huge wildcards. No reason the Sharks can't be as strong as last season, though I'd be surprised if St. George does as well this year.

Titans are hosed though

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Tigers are not wildcards, unless you mean wildcards for the spoon race

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Tigers can still field an impressive team on paper, plus they might fire Taylor and more importantly (unlike any other team in the league) they can still field a rep-grade hooker if their choice hooker gets injured or suspended

Titans can't even field a team that would look decent in Qld cup

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!
The tigers will fire Taylor by accident and have no replacement coach leading to hijinks and somehow ending up paying another team $500,000 for the season.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cpaf posted:

Tigers can still field an impressive team on paper, plus they might fire Taylor and more importantly (unlike any other team in the league) they can still field a rep-grade hooker if their choice hooker gets injured or suspended

Titans can't even field a team that would look decent in Qld cup
Tell what players they have that are decent who are not Farah and Woods

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

bowmore posted:

Tell what players they have that are decent who are not Farah and Woods

Well Tedesco for starters, Brooks and Moses are good players as well but horribly mismanaged. Theres a spine right there. I dunno, they are definitely still in a class above the Titans, who have who? Greg Bird and Nathan Friend? Ashley Taylor?

Speaking of Qld Cup guns though, Rod Griffin will be big for the Tigers next year I reckon with the interchange rules, and Billy McConnachie too.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll give you Tedesco

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

One thing though, at certain points it sort of feels like the Titans aren't entirely responsible for all the poo poo that happens to them, whereas everything wrong with the Tigers seems to come from the inside

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah Brooks & Moses are all hype, they are passable to good on attack but any benefit on that end is well and truly destroyed by their appalling defence. Brooks could have a mediocre career but Moses is a liability and will wash out of the comp in a few years. Then again, Mitchell Pearce has a substantial rep career and until recently he was one of the worst halfbacks in the game so :shrug:

I agree about Rod Griffin, very good pickup for the Tigers. Players like that who can go hard for 80 minutes will be even more valuable with the reduced interchange. Also as I understand it the interchange will drop down to 6 in the next few years too.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

cpaf posted:

Well Tedesco for starters, Brooks and Moses are good players as well but horribly mismanaged. Theres a spine right there. I dunno, they are definitely still in a class above the Titans, who have who? Greg Bird and Nathan Friend? Ashley Taylor?

Tyrone Roberts.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cpaf posted:

One thing though, at certain points it sort of feels like the Titans aren't entirely responsible for all the poo poo that happens to them, whereas everything wrong with the Tigers seems to come from the inside
I agree

you know Titans have royally hosed up in-house though

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Auditore posted:

Tyrone Roberts.

:lol:

edit: That Titans spine... Josh Hoffman, Ash Taylor, Tyrone Roberts, 50 year old Nathan Friend

:staredog:

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 11, 2016

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Auditore posted:

Tyrone Roberts.
The myth, the legend

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not even Sandow is as good at Tyrone at going missing for months at a time on the football field

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I think you're being harsh on Moses and brooks. For a couple of kids they've not done too badly, with a ridiculous number of our tries last year coming through our forwards giving idiotic penalties and forcing repeated sets on our line. They've missed tackles, but are getting no help whatsoever. On the occasions the rest of our defence actually shows up they're great at breaking games apart. Taylor has been shithouse, and you can see in the games he lets the team play their own game a bit we shine (think our games against the storm and rabbitohs last year).

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
While I enjoy the thought of trolling y'all with my Easts fandom, much as some people always like to root for the Lannisters on GoT, it's the Warriors who could be really exciting this year. Maybe I can convince my buddy from Auckland to watch a few with me.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I agree, Warriors are dark horse bolters (whatever the expression is) for top 4 this year

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Nah, they'll probably lose a couple of key players to injury and fall apart due to a lack of depth, and while they'll rally near the business end of the regular season, they'll fall just short of a play-off spot. But, they will probably tip over some top contenders along the way, as if to tease us all with a fleeting glimpse of what they can do.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

If the Warriors can't get into the loving eight this season with their ridiculous team they'll never get into the top eight ever again and will probably explode randomly

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Paul Gallen needs to shut the gently caress up forever after what happened to Essendon yesterday.

cpaf posted:

If the Warriors can't get into the loving eight this season with their ridiculous team they'll never get into the top eight ever again and will probably explode randomly

Don't underestimate our ability to gently caress anything up.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

No Parra fans in here I think but they just signed Jennings, who'll probably be pretty big for them out on the right off Foran and balancing out the Takairangi/Radradra weapon on the left

Also means the Roosters must be pretty confident in SKD winning his court case, since Copley isn't going to fill both positions and they intend to put Fergo at fullback

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

cpaf posted:

No Parra fans in here I think but they just signed Jennings, who'll probably be pretty big for them out on the right off Foran and balancing out the Takairangi/Radradra weapon on the left

Parra fan here, if only I hadn't had my spirit crushed over the last six years I might have some optimism in this signing. Kinda sad to lose Pauli Pauli, he showed potential, but something's gotta give I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty happy to have Pauli Pauli, the Knights need some muscle up front

• Locked thread