Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lowtax posted:

Every time I see Derek Smart's smarmy headshot photo, I think somebody drew chalk on a baked potato
...and then stuck a photo of Derek Smart on it :rimshot:

edit: I get a lot of cheap satisfaction from the fact that all of you have to read this lovely post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

I bet the corporate espionage line is something Ortwin cooked up to give some thin excuse for a ban. It also is so overblown from the actual crime, which is to divulge trade secrets from the inside-out in order to gain an advantage over competitors.

This is a stalling tactic as I suspect most of their money is kept away in Germany under Ortwin's company accounts and they can't be arsed eating the international wire fees and currency conversions.

Or there's still an investor or two in the ranks and they're trying to fudge the numbers so it doesn't look a dire exodus of backers on any reports.

Buy yeah holy-hell does the narcissism stream off that letter. That sales-woman line is incredible. Note she doesn't mention her reputed study done at UCLA school of management as her qualification. Stuff that went off her LinkedIn profile once people started questioning things back in 2014.

According to her meet the devs video.

quote:

SG - Now, I actually had basically been doing a lot of modelling and acting and also working in other areas in marketing - as marketing manager, marketing director - so I had had other marketing roles.

JP - So, you came from fashion and that sort of industry, correct?

SG - I did. So, yes. Marketing for nightclubs and restaurants and stuff, marketing in fashion, and then - Actually I just recently looked at some work references that I just found and I worked in commercial real estate doing marketing for them.

Yup her complete "marketing experience' was as a promoter in a club or as a model. Look pretty and hand people a flyer and perhaps throw in a rehearsed sales pitch.

I love the gradually aggressive flourishes as she tries to handwave hard facts before drowning in a word salad then dizzing Elite, a game created by a public traded company which puts it's earnings online. Ask Sandi for an annual report that shows balances, liabilities, risks and so on.

And dear lord at the idea of Chris coding when he hasn't done anything solid since Wing Commander 1!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Generation Internet posted:

Personally I loved the blog where he interviewed Assad about his opinions on the space video game, controversial sure but you can't deny his industry experience

Wasn't there some metric somewhere that indicated that the Middle East was one of the regions, along with the US and Germany, where Star Citizen had the most traction?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

don't go friend

please post a meltdown defending sandi

for science

He can't bring himself to. His post was such a definition of :flaccid: it couldn't be more exemplary of it, because he knows this poo poo is wrong but he has to keep believing so he just goes: "Wow, you guys clearly have no life, unlike me who monitors this thread in valiant defense of CIG, welp...off I go!" Except this time, for some mysteeeerious reason...he can't mount ANY kind of defense hahahahah.

Hey Gryphon, you chickenshit! Address some of the points in that exchange instead, so we can actually have a debate that's interesting!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 5, 2016

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Romes128 posted:

Also include a link to. Christ robbers playing star citizen.

Yes. We can watch him practice his search and destroy typing style and imagine him using that technique to code revolutionary new features for Cryengine. Like birds, and space news vans.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Personally I loved the blog where he interviewed Assad about his opinions on the space video game, controversial sure but you can't deny his industry experience
I just like making fun of dumb poo poo, not seriously analyzing it. That's just... Unnatural

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Realtalk, how much money do you think crobberts, his brother, sandi and whowever else has siphoned off from this project so far?

I've gotta believe at least 70% has gone to things other than development, mocap and Restoration HardwareTM purchases.

They can't have spent more than 35 million even with the clusterfuck management so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lowtax posted:

I'm actually in the process of writing one

:f5: This is great. SC has been tons of fun to watch from the sidelines.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's funny how you notice new things in these every time you look.

For instance, the stains all over the shirt this guy has chosen to wear for a picture. :psyduck:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's weird is the sandi emails are making me beleive the things that Derek smart says now.

There was no way to validate his claims until they basically just said he had a source.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

tooterfish posted:

For instance, the stains all over the shirt this guy has chosen to wear for a picture. :psyduck:

It speaks to his devotion to the cause that it's actually his finest shirt

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

tooterfish posted:

In space, no one can hear you clean

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Derek was right all along and another Sandi meltdown

quote:

Hahahahahahaha Beer sure is salty because of his ban.
edit:
Did he really loving think that he can cooperate with DS without destroying the bridges with CIG/RSI? Did he think he would be greeted with open arms? DS is the cause of all this mess. He stirred poo poo up, he got people fired.

quote:

Yes. I skipped most of beers screeds once I realized it was all the same bullshit.
Sandi even offers to personally look into issues, and solves most of them, for him even when he is being a dick

quote:

Where was Sandi's meltdown, ... and what was Derek right about, ???
Because the whole exchange from RSI, with this person was rather dry, and business-like. To a normal observer, it looks like RSI was doing their job and acting professionally and as cordially as a corp can get. Is being personable, consider a meltdown these days ???

quote:

Umm, I can't believe I read through so many emails. Poor customer service, they're flooded with so many requests already and this one person is wasting so much of their time D: But the emails have been really civil, which is good.
At least from this long conversation, I finally realise why getting refunds isn't easy... If every person who wants a refund spams customer service with so many emails, of course refunds will take a long while! D:

I'm dying

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Nothing's hanging out, if you look closely you can see his cock neatly folded into the bottom of his shirt

no lie

So, piss-soaked AND pantless. It IS his ship, you know. He was a backer. You're just a lousy, faithless, johnny come lately crew member, so shut UP! He can find better uses for that air, you know.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

DigitalMocking posted:

Realtalk, how much money do you think crobberts, his brother, sandi and whowever else has siphoned off from this project so far?

I've gotta believe at least 70% has gone to things other than development, mocap and Restoration HardwareTM purchases.

They can't have spent more than 35 million even with the clusterfuck management so far.

Impossible to tell because they try incredibly hard to protect their financials. Only thing we do know is Chris and sandi have a 15k per month mansion and someone has a special edition porsche 911

It's a good guess that most of they money has went into sq42 and opening mocap studios and they're spending the bare minimum on Star citizen and pocketing a bunch of cash.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lowtax posted:

In space, no one can hear you clean

I wish I were in space. My washing machine is so noisy. :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

I'm actually in the process of writing one

:eyepop:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Martout posted:

If the AI is so revolutionary and responsive why don't any of the other NPCs help this poor guy? At least put a blanket on him or something.

I can hear the parrrrrrps. Cam you hear them, Clarice?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Chalks posted:

I think these emails clear up once and for all the question of whether or not Star Citizen is an intentional scam from those at the top: It's clearly not.

It is pure delusion and fantasy.

These emails are unbelievable. Sandi genuinely thinks she is the greatest marketing person who ever lived and has clearly no idea that she is simply milking a small number of desperate nerds using dreams that can never be fulfilled. She thinks her husband is a genuine game development genius, despite doing nothing of note for the last 15 years and absolutely wrecking the prospects of the game with his ludicrous scope creep.

They genuinely believe their own hype, they've swallowed it whole. CR thinks he is going to release the ultimate mega-game that includes every far fetched sandbox idea that anyone has ever thought of all in high fidelity with millions of players. Sandi genuinely believes she's "marketing" the game and raising hundreds of millions of dollars by selling their game to a huge audience. None of it is true but they don't have any idea.

I used to think that CR and his cronies were going to bail once their funding starts to dry up - but now I think he's going down with the ship. He believes he is the man the cultists say he is. He can do anything. Hundreds of thousands of developers before him have failed but he is the one, the true visionary, to bring the world something ground breaking.

This is wonderful.

Why shouldn't they "silence doubters" for things they post off site? After all, they are gods among mere mortals.

There was a time I did believe it was a scam. But for it to be a scam, you have to have some measure of self-awareness, that at some point you know the jig will be up and you've got to run with the money. Or you are preparing something half-assed. This is simply not the case. CR thinks he is some sort of Steve Jobsian figure where he can just say 'build this' because he is some sort of visionary and anything is possible and it will just be built. He is an ignorant old man who just drank up the hype of the most autistic, ignorant and some of the dumbest nerds out there. I mean, look at those loving pictures. Holy gently caress. There's a guy who thinks taking a picture of himself taking a poo poo in space is something cool and good. The SC themselves and CR were made for each other. I don't think either of them have played a video game in over a decade.

I do think that Ortwin is prepared to gtfo when the jig is up though. No way is he a true believer. CR will probably still be promising features from a cardboard refrigerator box with a vhs camera on Skid Row. As for the people that work there, I think they still are there because a job is a job. Don't know how many truly talented people are left. Gaming isn't that big of an industry and in most small industries, gossip spreads fast even if the outside world doesn't know about it. I can't imagine CIG is spoken of well in circles. So you either have people who are being paid enough to not give a gently caress or people who don't know any better.

I really doubt there are any true believers besides Ben (you need to seriously lose some loving weight dude, you look like you're going to be dead within five years, holy poo poo) who are doing it for below industry pay

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i joined something awful for warhammer online

i stayed to make fun of terrible poo poo on the internet

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

i joined something awful for warhammer online

i stayed to make fun of terrible poo poo on the internet

like warhammer online

and star citizen

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

DigitalMocking posted:

I'm going to ballpark that they've spent between 80 and 90 million. There are so many costs to factor in - money has a tendency to leak like a sieve even in a tightly managed company. This company doesn't appear to be managed at all.

There are the obvious costs, like salaries, rent, etc. - I see most theorycrafting revolve around those kinds of semi-concrete numbers. But so much money has gone into less tangible costs too - continually moving between studios as an example - that kind of reorganization, even as a cost-cutting measure, itself costs money. Building multiple motion-capture studios, along with all the equipment, rather than renting. Ongoing utilities and maintenance costs. Legal fees.

Then you factor in all the vacations, mansion, cars, coffee machines, expensive furniture, so Chris can pretend he's in charge of a big time studio, even though he isn't. Equipment for constantly broadcasting their propaganda videos, which they are terming open development. Then, factor in the intangible cost that while all these developers are faffing about between studios, moving all the furniture around, and getting on camera, they are not working on the game.

The money adds up so much faster than people generally think. How often does a private individual, even when watching expenses closely, look at their account at the end of the month and think "poo poo, I thought I had more than this?" And that's just little things like extra gas you might have used, that extra trip to Wendy's when you weren't that hungry, those couple of beers you had with friends that you wrote off. It all comes from somewhere.

Multiply that poo poo times hundreds of employees and 4 offices across 3 countries, and two egomaniacs at the top who have convinced themselves that they are infallible. I'm convinced their expenses have caught up to their proceeds, and they're now living "paycheck to paycheck", which is why it's to important to end dissent.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 5, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The doublethink is staggering. It took >3 months for someone to say "oh yeah we ignored our own rules and banned you for poo poo you said on another website, peace" and somehow Beer is the agitator.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im the head of marketing for a company

i get in arguments with my customers via support tickets, talk about how im a teacher, a sales genius and use the word butt-hurt

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
who am i

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Also ^ you forgot to edit out your first name.

drat, oh well. Anyone who puts any effort into it can easily find my name so it's not that big of a deal.

AP posted:

Well I think there's no way that isn't Sandi Gardiner, Patrick signs his emails and you think anyone junior to him is going to dare speak about Sandi at all?

I also find it hard to believe that an anonymous CS rep would offer me a refund, without me even asking, when CIG's policy at the time was to deny all of them.

fuctifino posted:

I'm probably a few pages behind... I'm half way through the email exchanges, and holy gently caress these emails are amazing. I don't know how you remained so polite throughout....

Lots of practice.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm going to ballpark that they've spent between 80 and 90 million. There are so many costs to factor in - money has a tendency to leak like a sieve even in a tightly managed company. This company doesn't appear to be managed at all.

There are the obvious costs, like salaries, rent, etc. - I see most theorycrafting revolve around those kinds of semi-concrete numbers. But so much money has gone into less tangible costs too - continually moving between studios as an example - that kind of reorganization, even as a cost-cutting measure, itself costs money. Building multiple motion-capture studios, along with all the equipment, rather than renting. Ongoing utilities and maintenance costs. Legal fees.

Then you factor in all the vacations, mansion, cars, coffee machines, expensive furniture, so Chris can pretend he's in charge of a big time studio[/i], even though he isn't. Equipment for constantly broadcasting their propaganda videos, which they are terming [b]open development. Then, factor in the intangible cost that while all these developers are faffing about between studios, moving all the furniture around, and getting on camera, they are not working on the game.

The money adds up so much faster than people generally think. How often does a private individual, even when watching expenses closely, look at their account at the end of the month and think "poo poo, I thought I had more than this?" And that's just little things like extra gas you might have used, that extra trip to Wendy's when you weren't that hungry, those couple of beers you had with friends that you wrote off. It all comes from somewhere.

Multiply that poo poo times hundreds of employees and 4 offices across 3 countries, and two egomaniacs at the top who have convinced themselves that they are infallible. I'm convinced their expenses have caught up to their proceeds, and they're now living "paycheck to paycheck", which is why it's to important to end dissent.

Derek said last month they had like 11 million left

Which I now believe because cig admitted he has a source. Lol.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

who am i

One of the purple spinny elephant things who post a lot.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Eonwe posted:

like warhammer online

and star citizen

I actually read the forums before it became pay-only, I just never registered. I am old.

Laserpig
Jul 13, 2013

I am not credible.

DigitalMocking posted:

Who really gives a poo poo, you are a spastic to believe that if you head a $100mil company which brings in over $2mil/month that every single penny should go towards development and the people of the company should live their personal lives on the absolute loving minimum, it's people like you who expect Chris to be eating beans on toast every day because the extra money it would cost to eat steak is strictly for game development only, you are DELUSIONAL!

Croberts is the chairman of a $100mil+ company, are you really so loving surprised that he is driving around in a Ferrari and living in a mansion? Think about it, and I'm sure if you had created such a company you would be doing the same. "Hey guys we got another 1.5mil in pledges this month, hookers and blow for everybody!"

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

That Works posted:

The doublethink is staggering. It took >3 months for someone to say "oh yeah we ignored our own rules and banned you for poo poo you said on another website, peace" and somehow Beer is the agitator.

Personally I think it's extremely good that a space video game company uses the same language as autocratic regimes to describe people who have criticisms of their space video game

Have you seen any malcontents lately, citizens ?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Daztek posted:

One of the purple spinny elephant things who post a lot.

deep

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Laserpig posted:

Who really gives a poo poo, you are a spastic to believe that if you head a $100mil company which brings in over $2mil/month that every single penny should go towards development and the people of the company should live their personal lives on the absolute loving minimum, it's people like you who expect Chris to be eating beans on toast every day because the extra money it would cost to eat steak is strictly for game development only, you are DELUSIONAL!

Croberts is the chairman of a $100mil+ company, are you really so loving surprised that he is driving around in a Ferrari and living in a mansion? Think about it, and I'm sure if you had created such a company you would be doing the same. "Hey guys we got another 1.5mil in pledges this month, hookers and blow for everybody!"

That's not how companies work

Fist yourself rolex deep you little poo poo.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Romes128 posted:

drat, you quoted my tag fail.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

tooterfish posted:

There is a lot going on. If you start at the top and work down it tells a complex story. Flock wallpaper. Sex offender face. Wild west jacket. Piss/poo poo/cum/dribble stained shirt. Ammo belt, of course. One finger in a belt loop, the other hand just hanging free. Gun on a thigh holster, for those quick draw situations (goes with the jacket, natch). The trousers which look a bit like those dumb things that zip off at the knee to convert into shorts. Trainers that look like the kind of thing a 60 yr old retired man wears to the gym. Old lady carpet.

I just hope whoever took the picture is okay, because it sort of looks like the other side of that infamous last photo of a murder victim where she's leaning away from the camera looking terrified.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper Dan posted:

I actually read the forums before it became pay-only, I just never registered. I am old.

my friend told me about it when I was a freshman in highschool but i didnt have a debit card and i wasnt going to ask to use my mom's card to join a message board

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

drat, you quoted my tag fail.

Sorry I'm bored and just want to poo poo post.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Personally I think it's extremely good that a space video game company uses the same language as autocratic regimes to describe people who have criticisms of their space video game

Have you seen any malcontents lately, citizens ?

"When our product ships you will be 1st against the wall"

Laserpig
Jul 13, 2013

I am not credible.

Romes128 posted:

Well then you're a loving retard if that's what you believe, if his company is taking in more than $2mil every month then they're nowhere near to running out of money, which is what Dickhead Smart is suggesting... And what you are believing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Romes128 posted:

Sorry I'm bored and just want to poo poo post.

It's all good - we can't all be perfect like Sandi and Chris. My mistakes make me ... human.

I'll never fit in, in the 'Verse.

• Locked thread