Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Jerusalem posted:

I always figured he literally didn't remember - I mean consider all the things he has been through since then, especially the return of his abusive step-father and his complicity in removing him from the picture, or his first homicide. That relatively "innocent" Summer is so long ago for Michael that it might as well have happened to a different person, and he is now living a life where he doesn't even have the luxury of remembering childish antics.

Yeah like I think the idea of him deliberately shedding his childhood is spot on but I think it could be argued that he did this long before the Dukie scene, so maybe he blocked that memory out so well that he really doesn't remember it. Either way it's a great, powerful, emotional scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I always figured he literally didn't remember - I mean consider all the things he has been through since then, especially the return of his abusive step-father and his complicity in removing him from the picture, or his first homicide. That relatively "innocent" Summer is so long ago for Michael that it might as well have happened to a different person, and he is now living a life where he doesn't even have the luxury of remembering childish antics.

Same, I read it as him literally not remembering his childhood too. I suppose that's a bit of a heavy-handed, high-drama approach, but it's not like the show's never done that before.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ainsley McTree posted:

Same, I read it as him literally not remembering his childhood too. I suppose that's a bit of a heavy-handed, high-drama approach, but it's not like the show's never done that before.
Yeah basically this was how I saw it, but I like both interpretations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Watched the episode where Kima gets shot again, and it's interesting to note McNulty's reaction. The rewatch in this thread was the first time I ever noticed how much he completely goes to pieces in the following episode with his insubordination and open drinking etc; I didn't really pay attention to it when I first watched it because there's too much other interesting stuff going on in that episode to pay attention to McNulty's drama (the excellent hospital scene aside - which is really more about Rawls). But it's worth noting that in the heat of the moment McNulty doesn't miss a beat: relays instructions to dispatch perfectly, immediately performs CPR on Kima. It's only later that he comes down with his PTSD, filtered through his own solipsist lens.

I dunno. Am I alone in finding him a sympathetic character all the way to the end of the series? Like, never 100% on board with him (especially in season 5) but I still think he's on okay person who means well.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

freebooter posted:

Watched the episode where Kima gets shot again, and it's interesting to note McNulty's reaction. The rewatch in this thread was the first time I ever noticed how much he completely goes to pieces in the following episode with his insubordination and open drinking etc; I didn't really pay attention to it when I first watched it because there's too much other interesting stuff going on in that episode to pay attention to McNulty's drama (the excellent hospital scene aside - which is really more about Rawls). But it's worth noting that in the heat of the moment McNulty doesn't miss a beat: relays instructions to dispatch perfectly, immediately performs CPR on Kima. It's only later that he comes down with his PTSD, filtered through his own solipsist lens.

I dunno. Am I alone in finding him a sympathetic character all the way to the end of the series? Like, never 100% on board with him (especially in season 5) but I still think he's on okay person who means well.

Real poe-leese have sorted muscle memory for instant crisis response and then spend decades in therapy or bars trying to sort out their brain.

My wife and I wanted McNulty to both succeed and go to jail in the last few episodes of season 5, so we were still rooting for him. The only time I was not sympathetic was when he was hurting Beatrice.

Edit: unrelated: Just finished, and I'm kinda glad they never again discussed Bill Rawls' after-hours activities after one off-duty scene. It kept the mystery alive.

CharlieWhiskey fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 29, 2015

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Lil Melvin Williams aka The Deacon died today at 73. Considering what he got up to, he had a good innings truth be told

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Who is gonna get up in everybody's business now? :smith:

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
I don't understand Marlo in season 5. The greek guy gives him a phone and Marlo is all "I dont talk on the phone." The greek guy tells him he can talk about things that aren't business. Then like 1 episode later Marlo is all the sudden using phones with all of his crew sending pictures that give the locations of drug buys. Why did Marlo just immediately stop following his own rules?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Because he assumed the clock thing was an unbreakable code.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

olin posted:

I don't understand Marlo in season 5. The greek guy gives him a phone and Marlo is all "I dont talk on the phone." The greek guy tells him he can talk about things that aren't business. Then like 1 episode later Marlo is all the sudden using phones with all of his crew sending pictures that give the locations of drug buys. Why did Marlo just immediately stop following his own rules?

My guess is that he thought encrypted codes were okay.

I wish they would have foreshadowed the map bit by having police frequently finding they same Baltimore map edition at drug scenes. Or maybe they did and I missed it. I barely spotted Bill Rawls in the gay bay.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I'm sorry to be That Guy but was the final episode recap ever finished and just never linked? Or is it being saved for some reason?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrSlam posted:

I'm sorry to be That Guy but was the final episode recap ever finished and just never linked? Or is it being saved for some reason?

I don't know why escape artist never linked it, here it is:

Jerusalem posted:

Final links for the OP:

Episode 10 - –30– - Part One
Episode 10 - –30– - Part Two

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 16, 2015

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Jerusalem posted:

Who is gonna get up in everybody's business now? :smith:

He's with Prop Joe now. :smith:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Haha what a jarring thing to watch a S4 episode, then flip the channel to see Bodie and Norman Wilson in Pootie Tang .

First thing i saw was Froggy (Bodie) riding the hood of Dirty Dee's (Norman) car, then Dirty Dee eating a handful of dirt. I love that movie so much but just never made the connection.

Edit:
I forgot how much i like S4. The kids are fantastic. And Chris / Snoop.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

pahuyuth posted:

Haha what a jarring thing to watch a S4 episode, then flip the channel to see Bodie and Norman Wilson in Pootie Tang .

First thing i saw was Froggy (Bodie) riding the hood of Dirty Dee's (Norman) car, then Dirty Dee eating a handful of dirt. I love that movie so much but just never made the connection.

Edit:
I forgot how much i like S4. The kids are fantastic. And Chris / Snoop.

There are a couple of really jarring Law&Order (Orig., SVU don't remember) episodes where half of the non-regulars are from the cast of Wire. I really suspect that it wasn't intentional casting choice.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

There are a couple of really jarring Law&Order (Orig., SVU don't remember) episodes where half of the non-regulars are from the cast of Wire. I really suspect that it wasn't intentional casting choice.

I think Clay Davis has a few recurring appearances (not as the same character) in SVU. He also plays a doctor in Goodfellas!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Der Kyhe posted:

That's happened at least a few other times, I always figured a few of them had the same agent. John Wick comes to mind, it has Lance Reddick, which isn't a surprise because he gets plenty of work. But then Clarke Peters pops up and I'm not sure if that's coincidence or just the fact that the project came across this one agent's desk and he got both of them in on it.

holttho
May 21, 2007

As well as Michael B Jordan and Wood Harris being together in Creed.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
The Walking Dead counted Cutty, Carver and De'Angelo among its cast members at one point. They really should be getting more work

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Sorry if this was posted a few years ago: https://youtu.be/DWmryAVUoL8

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Der Kyhe posted:

Tom Fontana and Dick Wolf are friends which is why Homicide and L&O crossed over in the first place, and since David Simon was part of that whole thing as well it just lead to a bunch of the same actors being cast.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
L&O's Munch cameo'd in The Wire's season 5 as well. I don't mind dragging this back out.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Amy Ryan and Domenick Lombardozzi were in Bridge of Spies. As was Meth Damon but that's not thread relevant.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
The thing that still pickles my head is Michael Scott making a reference to The Wire in The Office, a show that briefly featured both Idris Elba and Amy Ryan :wtf:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yoshimo posted:

The Office, a show that briefly featured both Idris Elba

Dear god, I'd blanked that out. That was a weird one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Der Kyhe posted:

Peter Gerety was in every goddamn cop show ever made and I am sick to death of seeing him. He's not good at what he does.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I'm halfway through The Corner and it's great!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I'm halfway through The Corner and it's great!

Read the book too! Also Homicide, they're two absolutely incredible books.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
In case anyone missed it, Toyota held a Sobotka family reunion for their Super Bowl ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYeM-8hO3hM

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Whiz Palace posted:

In case anyone missed it, Toyota held a Sobotka family reunion for their Super Bowl ad.

Ha, thanks for pointing that out.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Ha, thanks for pointing that out.

Oh whoa, I recognized Frank but not Ziggy and Nick. I like this alternate ending of Season 2.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man, advertising is weird these days. 10 years ago that would have been laughed out of any major corporation's boardroom.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Whiz Palace posted:

He walked away from that bridge after all :shobon:

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Whiz Palace posted:

With all those disclaimers at the bottom, it's almost like companies think Americans are stupid as gently caress.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

brylcreem posted:

With all those disclaimers at the bottom, it's almost like companies think Americans are stupid as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ5aIvjNgao&t=109s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd have to say that this is my favourite scene from the entire show. There are many, MANY great ones, but overall, as silly as it is, this one wins.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I vaguely remember Simon mentioning this sort of thing in Homicide, so for how silly it is it's a real thing that was actually done.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's real science!

holttho
May 21, 2007

It's a pretty cool effect, actually. And people don't so much want to tell the truth, rather they want to tell the story right. Apparently, an embarrassing amount of confessions are netted by the detective telling a wrong version of the story, and just letting the suspect correct them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And he won't even have to give it back!