Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Choom Gangster posted:

They should make D Bry the special guest referee for this year's Rumble.

Just have him on commentary telling stories about The Ryback for the entire match. Give the dramatic staredown spot to The Ryback and Brock Lesnar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

I hope Kofi's annual rumble spot is extra ludicrous this year considering he/New Day are actually over this time around. Either that or a mid-match positivity promo from Xavier a la S.E.S. Punk.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

SteamyV posted:

I hope Kofi's annual rumble spot is extra ludicrous this year considering he/New Day are actually over this time around. Either that or a mid-match positivity promo from Xavier a la S.E.S. Punk.

as soon as Kofi enters, Xavier and Big E pick him up and run backstage with him. Little clips throughout the night appear of them backstage carefully making sure Kofi's feet never hit the ground

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Just have him on commentary telling stories about The Ryback for the entire match. Give the dramatic staredown spot to The Ryback and Brock Lesnar.

Brock will be staring down, all right.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I've always marked out for S2H realizing Kane and Taker were going to kill him.

Also the crowd hating Reigns so much they booed The loving Rock

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I watched the 2008 rumble last night. Some thoughts:

The Snuka vs Piper showdown is the greatest rumble moment ever featuring a murderer

Cena's return is still the best thing

Shelton's elimination in this match is my nomination for favorite elimination ever. He comes in on fire for about 40 seconds while the announcers hype him up before HBK out of nowhere kicks him out of the ring.

HBK/Taker start this match and it rules.

The 6 man announce booth they used for this match is atrocious. JR is miles above the other 5 (Tazz, King, Styles, Cole, and Coachman)

Pretty decent match overall. Hornswoggle is in it

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

schweens posted:

The Snuka vs Piper showdown is the greatest rumble moment ever featuring a murderer

Cena's return is still the best thing

Shelton's elimination in this match is my nomination for favorite elimination ever. He comes in on fire for about 40 seconds while the announcers hype him up before HBK out of nowhere kicks him out of the ring.

HBK/Taker start this match and it rules.

The 6 man announce booth they used for this match is atrocious. JR is miles above the other 5 (Tazz, King, Styles, Cole, and Coachman)

Pretty decent match overall. Hornswoggle is in it

I remember at the time getting unreasonably hung up on hornswaggle never being eliminated and no one on commentary caring or acknowledging it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

schweens posted:

Benoit/Big Show 2004.
Wait, how is this actually up for debate?!
By which I mean 'how is best rumble moment ever featuring a murderer' an actual category?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 5, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rowdy Ringsports › Royal Rumble Appreciation Thread: We don't, really

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Would you go so far as to say it will be...Too Sweet?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

It's my wife's birthday on the Rumble and she wants to watch it.

I think she wants a divorce

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

It's my wife's birthday on the Rumble and she wants to watch it.

I think she wants a divorce

Eating cake while watching Gangrel come out to zero reaction sounds like fun.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Dang son you know if Gangrel came out the whole crowd be swaying to his sick entrance music

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

We're getting our third Roman Reigns Royal Rumble now that he has to defend his title in the Rumble itself. Hopefully they can get Daniel Bryan back and make it the perfect night.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's in Full Sail smarky Orlando too. They have to know at this point.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I hope the rumble has a stupid lovely ending for the 3rd year in a row and booing the rumble becomes an annual tradition.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Keg posted:

I hope the rumble has a stupid lovely ending for the 3rd year in a row and booing the rumble becomes an annual tradition.

Cena and Roman Reigns recreate the Kane/Big Show double-team spot against Ambrose, Owens and a returning Bryan.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gavok posted:

Cena and Roman Reigns recreate the Kane/Big Show double-team spot against Ambrose, Owens and a returning Bryan.
I'd pay to see Cena and Reigns displaying Kane and Show's frankly contemptuous level of :effort:

( - . -)(↼- . -) ( -°-)

(o°o )(- . -ლ)(- . - )

(ಥ°ಥ )(- . -↼)(- . - )

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For me nothing will ever beat Royal Rumble 92. Bobby sold that think like a million bucks. It will always be GOAT for me.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

gfanikf posted:

For me nothing will ever beat Royal Rumble 92. Bobby sold that think like a million bucks. It will always be GOAT for me.

The commentary for the first few years is so on point. Ventura, Monsoon, Piper and Heenan all have this genuine enthusiasm for the concept that carries it even when the match itself is dull. Like 91 is a really mediocre match, but it doesn't matter because Piper and Monsoon spend the hour completely into it.

I'm in the mid-90's with my rewatch and 93 is really underrated. Mainly because it's the only Rumble where the heel wins decisively. There's this real sense of dread in there because outside of Yokozuna, there's only one major heel (Flair) and he's kind of a non-factor due to his draw, early elimination and the fact that he's on the way out anyway. The rest is a bunch of viable faces who are gradually taken out over the course of the hour, one way or another.

Mr. Perfect, who is at the height of his face run, is removed unfairly. Undertaker gets murdered for the first time ever by a giant monster who isn't even in the match. Earthquake takes on Yokozuna head-on and loses. Everyone teams up against him and it amounts to nothing. Bob Backlund goes from zero reaction to being this beloved underdog in just an hour and gets manhandled. Randy Savage is the last hope and despite nailing his finisher, it's utterly meaningless. It's all pretty rad.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Skunkrocker posted:

Problem is WWE doesn't do the return pop anymore, just the nostalgic ones. But here is to hoping Daniel Bryan suddenly shows up during the Rumble and cleans house.

lmao

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gavok posted:

The commentary for the first few years is so on point. Ventura, Monsoon, Piper and Heenan all have this genuine enthusiasm for the concept that carries it even when the match itself is dull. Like 91 is a really mediocre match, but it doesn't matter because Piper and Monsoon spend the hour completely into it.

I'm in the mid-90's with my rewatch and 93 is really underrated. Mainly because it's the only Rumble where the heel wins decisively. There's this real sense of dread in there because outside of Yokozuna, there's only one major heel (Flair) and he's kind of a non-factor due to his draw, early elimination and the fact that he's on the way out anyway. The rest is a bunch of viable faces who are gradually taken out over the course of the hour, one way or another.

Mr. Perfect, who is at the height of his face run, is removed unfairly. Undertaker gets murdered for the first time ever by a giant monster who isn't even in the match. Earthquake takes on Yokozuna head-on and loses. Everyone teams up against him and it amounts to nothing. Bob Backlund goes from zero reaction to being this beloved underdog in just an hour and gets manhandled. Randy Savage is the last hope and despite nailing his finisher, it's utterly meaningless. It's all pretty rad.

Yeah, and with 92 it is off the chart they way Bobby sells it. The interplay between him and Gorilla is fabulous, but man Bobby is just hitting every story point, both for himself and Flair. I mean could imagine if anyone else had been calling it? Even with Jesse it wouldn't have worked because Jesse was tied into Flair the same way story wise as Bobby.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I rewatched the full 92 PPV last night. Man some of that stuff is rough but the main event is, obviously, still great.

Fake edit: Shout out to Lanny Poffo and his terrible Genius character.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

gfanikf posted:

Yeah, and with 92 it is off the chart they way Bobby sells it. The interplay between him and Gorilla is fabulous, but man Bobby is just hitting every story point, both for himself and Flair. I mean could imagine if anyone else had been calling it? Even with Jesse it wouldn't have worked because Jesse was tied into Flair the same way story wise as Bobby.

It's really apparent when you watch 93 immediately after because Flair comes out at #1, but he's both about to leave the company and Heenan is already attached to his replacement in Luger. So he's freaking out... but not nearly as much.

My favorite Heenan call from 92 is when Greg Valentine puts Flair in the Figure 4. Heenan's losing his mind that Flair's in trouble due to his own move, then gets distracted and goes, "THAT'S ACTUALLY A BRILLIANT PLAN! I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!"

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I remember watching a Royal Rumble where Drew Carey was an entrant. I don't think he even got eliminated either, just like danced around or something and then exited. That was stupid as gently caress. Did they ever do that with another celebrity?

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

pathetic little tramp posted:

I remember watching a Royal Rumble where Drew Carey was an entrant. I don't think he even got eliminated either, just like danced around or something and then exited. That was stupid as gently caress. Did they ever do that with another celebrity?

You might be remembering it wrong, because that might be one of the best Rumble moments. Drew Carey slowly comes down to the ring and finally enters just as the Hardys eliminate each other, then starts acting like he won the thing. Then the Kane pyro hits, and you get Carey making GBS threads himself. He then tries to offer Kane a few bucks, just to get lifted for a chokeslam. Kane then holds him up for what seems like 30 seconds because Raven is trying to get to the ring to break the whole thing up. Carey then awkwardly gets over the top rope and is never seen again.

2nd best Kane moment from that Rumble. The first is a tie for the above mentioned Scotty beat down and then Kane blasting the Honky Tonk Man with his own guitar.

Kane was my favorite wrestler back then, so that whole match was like a dream come true for me.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah, Drew came out while the Hardys fought amongst themselves and eliminated each other. He celebrated-- and then Kane came out. Drew tried to bribe him (with like :10bux:), and it took the Hardys coming back in to attack Kane to get him to leave Drew alone. Drew then climbed out over the top rope to get the heck out of there.

I think that was 2001. The same year where Kane went on his 11 elimination tear that was the record until Big Dog Roman Reigns broke it in 2014.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Havoc904 posted:

You might be remembering it wrong, because that might be one of the best Rumble moments. Drew Carey slowly comes down to the ring and finally enters just as the Hardys eliminate each other, then starts acting like he won the thing. Then the Kane pyro hits, and you get Carey making GBS threads himself. He then tries to offer Kane a few bucks, just to get lifted for a chokeslam. Kane then holds him up for what seems like 30 seconds because Raven is trying to get to the ring to break the whole thing up. Carey then awkwardly gets over the top rope and is never seen again.

2nd best Kane moment from that Rumble. The first is a tie for the above mentioned Scotty beat down and then Kane blasting the Honky Tonk Man with his own guitar.

Kane was my favorite wrestler back then, so that whole match was like a dream come true for me.

Another great Kane moment is when the ring is filled with guys using weapons and stuff. Kane's just stumbling around for a while until suddenly remembering that he's Kane and clears the ring in a fit of fury.

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Yeah, Drew came out while the Hardys fought amongst themselves and eliminated each other. He celebrated-- and then Kane came out. Drew tried to bribe him (with like :10bux:), and it took the Hardys coming back in to attack Kane to get him to leave Drew alone. Drew then climbed out over the top rope to get the heck out of there.

I think that was 2001. The same year where Kane went on his 11 elimination tear that was the record until Big Dog Roman Reigns broke it in 2014.

Nah, the Hardys were long gone. As Havoc904 said, Raven made the save. Then Drew made sure to cheer Raven on before going back up the ramp.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Havoc904 posted:

wouldn't that make it the third best moment :v:

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Gavok posted:

Another great Kane moment is when the ring is filled with guys using weapons and stuff. Kane's just stumbling around for a while until suddenly remembering that he's Kane and clears the ring in a fit of fury.

Nah, the Hardys were long gone. As Havoc904 said, Raven made the save. Then Drew made sure to cheer Raven on before going back up the ramp.

My mistake, then. I knew that it was someone else coming out that saved Drew's considerable rear end.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

My personal favourite rumble moment is when big show went to eliminate the rock but the rock held on to the ropes and won. I was a big rock fan when I was a kid.

Which rumble was that? 2000?

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Roman breaking Kane's record was lame because he only beat it by one, when A. Drew should've been an easy elimination for Kane and B. one of Roman's elims was El Torito

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Who are you to doubt el torito?

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Once you get your hands on him he's a very easy elimination due to being so light in weight :colbert:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

DynamiteKidd posted:

Once you get your hands on him he's a very easy elimination due to being so light in weight :colbert:

But Roman is much weaker than a normal man.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

1996 doesn't get enough love for its absolute bizarre assortment of guest wrestlers. They already had enough big names in the match, so might as well toss in an old man, a random Japanese guy, some indy geek and a couple fat twins with facepaint.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

But Roman is much weaker than a normal man.

But I was led to believe that Roman was really loving strong.

Don't tell me that the WWE lied to me because I would not be able to handle it.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Gavok posted:

1996 doesn't get enough love for its absolute bizarre assortment of guest wrestlers. They already had enough big names in the match, so might as well toss in an old man, a random Japanese guy, some indy geek and a couple fat twins with facepaint.

97 had a handful of luchadors including Mil Mascaras (who wouldn't give anybody the rub and eliminated himself), Cibernetico, and Pierroth. WWF was making some token effort to duplicate the WCW Cruiserweight division by gradually establishing Mexican luchadors and the LHW division but it fizzled out due to lack of interest from booking pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Testekill posted:

But I was led to believe that Roman was really loving strong.

Don't tell me that the WWE lied to me because I would not be able to handle it.

Roman has really strong arms and a really weak back. He also has legs I think I've never seen him without pants.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 7, 2016

• Locked thread