Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

Meanwhile things are getting heated over on Youtube

space engine rules, dude could make serious cash selling it as an educational tool. As a game... well how the gently caress do you make a game with the scale of the entire known universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

It's been a hard hundred pages or so.

We've lost Looish and Octopode. Karl has dialled back his hit and run shitposting. Laserpig had a wobble but we're all back in the knitting circle now.

Lowtax is our star ascendant while DSmart is almost lost to us, only roused by an email from Sandi.

Something big has to happen soon. When is the next ship sale?

Hey! I was traveling over the holidays! I have a Doctor's note and everything!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Justin Tyme posted:

space engine rules, dude could make serious cash selling it as an educational tool. As a game... well how the gently caress do you make a game with the scale of the entire known universe?

If you made the player character a 16th the size of the known universe you'd have a similar game to Star Citizen

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

From the Gamespot article here: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizens-fps-gameplay-will-be-more-lethal-tha/1100-6433524/

"...we have the hologram gadget where you can put up a hologram version of yourself and you can be off sneaking somewhere else" - Christ Roberts

Fantastic. Nice to know they've caught up with Duke Nukem 3D.

"We are going to have definite things that will help you with hiding your radar and noise signature, or heat signature, and stuff like that. So we definitely want that." - Christ Roberts

Nice you have it so concrete.

"We have vents, that aren't in 2.0 but will be in in the future, where you can sneak around or crawl around in and outflank people and do stuff like that." - Christ Roberts

Space vents. Well at least that hasn't been done before. I can see how he's planning to exceed expectations in the FPS space.

"Overall, Roberts said he's envisioning the Star Marine FPS component to be "much more tactical," and naturally, a part of this is allowing players to "do stealthy stuff.""

I love doing stealthy stuff.

This article is short and worth reading. You really get the sense that for Roberts, game development really does consist of just sitting there and thinking/talking about poo poo you think would be cool, maybe.

Well, you know things are getting downright serious when they start copying stuff from Line Of Defense. Holy poo poo.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lowtax posted:

have you ever seen Derek Smart say that he doesn't gently caress animals?

Its not true that Derek Smart raped and killed a girl in 1990, if you have any proof Derek Smart raped and killed a girl in 1990, stop gossiping and go right to the police

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWbq5GHXPhA

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Justin Tyme posted:

how hard is it for these nerds to like buy a 10$ gas mask or a realistic BB gun when they plaster their stupid mugs all over the internet in their stupid costumes I mean gently caress a loving CPAP machine??? A Nerf gun???

spent all their money on space jpgs and now they can't afford realistic looking cosplay equipment

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gwaihir posted:

Yes, it's actually him pecking away in visual studio and using the editor to test it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165H_5jgE5g

He claims credit for the original physics and skeleton animation attachment code.

It really explains a lot.

e: They actually look at the "Falling through the floor" problem that's still ingame today. That video is from July. Yeaaaa.
e2: ROFL it also has the "You can just mash use from outside a ship and have it still put you in the pilot's seat." bug, which is also still there.
This is the part that Chris specifically says that he's working on.

Yes. I know people who just laugh when he starts going on about coding for this game. He's contribution is akin to a script kiddie, compared to the work being done by the actual developers.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

D_Smart posted:

Well, you know things are getting downright serious when they start copying stuff from Line Of Defense. Holy poo poo.

tbf it's not exactly new https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-A5GPPXbBA

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Jimb fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 6, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

It is perfect

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

D_Smart posted:

Hey! I was traveling over the holidays! I have a Doctor's note and everything!
Did you write it yourself and was it 100,000,0000 words long

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Justin Tyme posted:

how hard is it for these nerds to like buy a 10$ gas mask or a realistic BB gun when they plaster their stupid mugs all over the internet in their stupid costumes I mean gently caress a loving CPAP machine??? A Nerf gun???
It's kind of a shame the Dark Knight of Star Citizen was too late for the contest.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Acquilae posted:

So basically, Sandi:

- Does the job of 6 people, down from 10 earlier.
- Is a shrewd businesswoman with a lot of experience in business.
- Wrote up the full plan (on what, the JPEG business model?) all by herself.
- Apparently is irreplaceable and paid such a low salary that it turns away everyone willing to replace her.
- Is a VP who gets her hands dirty…at a software development company.
- Doesn’t have an assistant.
- Hasn’t taken one day off in the 1-4 year development period.
- Works 16 hours a day, along with CRobbers, who is coding into the early hours.
- Used to have a lavish lifestyle from that renowned acting career and gave up to create a video movie game.
- Is the most formally educated person at CIG, even though she's never taken a proper professional writing course and writes atrociously.
- Is a qualified teacher.
- Is one of the best saleswomen in the world, without a shadow of doubt, since she was a child and has the acumen to identify the next great product.
- Claims CRobbers re-wrote a bunch of the CryEngine code to “make it do what it does now”, even though “what it does now” is exist as a jank-rear end pile of garbage.

Where Chris adds a new feature to SC because he started playing a new game, Sandi goes through a list of traits she believes will make her look more professionally credible.

Same

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

I haven't gone anywhere.

:rock:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mirificus posted:

It's kind of a shame the Dark Knight of Star Citizen was too late for the contest.

I am curious where this was even taken, like that gun clearly has a breech block in place and the surroundings looks like some run down community center. I'm thinking he went to a gun show, picked something up, and told his bro to take a picture real quick. He went out in public in that getup :gary:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I Greyhound posted:

The facts are that their operating expenses for the known studios and staff exceed several million a month, so they are absolutely on a time limit, beyond which they would need to either release a product or massively downsize. While CIG won't release the numbers, you can set a floor because their staff are not working for free, and their landlords in Santa Monica and England are not true believers donating their space to them. This floor is above their average monthly income.

It's also known from other similar companies that go under that the first definite singe something is wrong is when they suddenly miss payroll.

So Derek Smart could be full of crap, and they could still have a $50 million reserve, in which case they still have a few more years to work, or they could be having these recent sales in a desperate race to avoid insolvency and keep the lights on and the limited edition Porche fuelled.

The most thorough estimate (non-Derek, non-goon) I've seen of what they have likely spent to date (as of a month or so ago) was 85 million. I believe I saw it on Reddit. It even included poo poo like tax incentives for starting companies in the UK or Germany or whatever. Which IMO jibes well with what you'd guess if you just spitballed it (I was guessing 75 million 3 or 4 months ago).

There's no way they have 50 million in reserve. Zero chance. If they had 50 million in reserve Cristos Croberto wouldn't have said, months ago (paraphrasing but from a legit published interview) "If we're not bringing in 2 or 3 million a month in sales, we have to scale back."

Which, IMO, takes anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together all the way to the bottom line, which is:

1. Crobbits told the gaming community that if they gave him 65 million dollars, he would make SC as promised.
2. Crobbits now has nearly 105 million dollars, and despite having 40 million dollars more than he said he said he needed, cannot even remotely deliver on his promises.

Ergo, Croberts is an incompetent pile of poo poo that has literally scammed tens of millions of dollars out of gamers via, at best, his own total incompetence. If SC ever manages to get delivered in anything even remotely close to a final state (which I'd give it about a 1% chance at this point) it wouldn't be because Crobbits is an amazing game developer and totally was always going to deliver an amazing game, it'd be because super spergy dipshits kept raiding their kid's college fund and hammering their credit cards no matter what stupid poo poo Croberts did. I.e. it'd be dumb luck and nostalgia and poor decision making.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Justin Tyme posted:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Justin Tyme posted:

I am curious where this was even taken, like that gun clearly has a breech block in place and the surroundings looks like some run down community center. I'm thinking he went to a gun show, picked something up, and told his bro to take a picture real quick. He went out in public in that getup :gary:

Apparently he took it at his birthday party and everyone who came is in that photo

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

now that's what I'm talkin' about

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

LOL!!! Love it. Ganked!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Most people pull their pants down to poo poo, this dude takes the fuckers off to poo poo.
This man shits like he means it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Lowtax posted:

Don't troll Derek, the last kid who tried that didn't have a leg to stand on and wheelie got in a lot of trouble

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

the future!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Dude! You need to send me a reminder!! I had an Outlook reminder which I keep putting on snooze. Hit me up tomorrow on Skype or something and I'll do it.

I wanted to berate you for saying the same poo poo a week ago, but then I remembered that I've been snoozing an HR request to inform them what things I've been trained on, for three months. So I'm not going to give you much poo poo, but come on, just do it, you're helping the greater good.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

Most people pull their pants down to poo poo, this dude takes the fuckers off to poo poo.
This man shits like he means it.

there's weirdos that have to get fully nude to poo poo too, who knows

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Reddit: I was told by my graphics design teacher to choose someone famous and Photoshop them...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

I lucked out with the original Kickstarter. Once it finished and everyone was losing their minds I sold mine before delivery for twice the pledge price. Never even saw it. Got that e-mail today and I was blown away. Are you ready for the PTU? Are the other three for your turret gunners? :)

LOL!! Same. I had four. Flogged all four.

Then I get the email today. I was like, wth?

The other three is for my dev team if I decide to do a small VR game. Pretty much like how we did the LOD Tactics game a year ago.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

congratulations on setting 50k on fire at a diploma mill to that guy, I guess.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Derek I'm still waiting on payment for that information I sold you so you could tell me so I could gently caress up revealing it.

Check's in the mail.

Two weeks.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

:eyepop:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Laserpig posted:

Have you ever considered "what if"?...

What if Star Citizen does happen? What if it does become everything CIG promised? What if, Derek?

Will you officially announce your retirement?(like any cares), will you drink yourself into a lonely drunken abyss? Will you hang yourself? Will you become a scientologist? What exactly will you do?

No, I haven't because I remain 100% certain that it will collapse. Not 90%, not 91%, not 99% - 100%.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

That's adorable. I remember sitting in a box pretending it was a firetruck when I was 5.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

XK posted:

That's adorable. I remember sitting in a box pretending it was a firetruck when I was 5.

Poor kid has progeria, don't genetic shame.

• Locked thread