Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

That wing number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's their burn rate?

On Dec 17th when we last ran an analysis, we were hovering at around $2.6M per month. Not quite $3M, but that's due to some of the on-going cut-backs (e.g. the Austin studio was a huge expense). Which btw is around what Frontier (last we checked), had as their burn rate; though they have fewer studios and less people.

Between Aug and their Q4/15 windfall, we estimate that they probably gained an entire quarter of funding - all things being equal. Which ties in with their rush to get some aspect of SQ42 out by the Summer. Of course my sources tell me that's not going to happen unless Chris pulls another 2.0 fiasco which nobody thinks he will risk doing.

The key issue here is that on releasing the disastrous 2.0, they're now trying to pass that off as substantial. We (well the attorneys really) think that's a prelude to refusing refunds (as I predicted back in Oct they would do) as well as a way to get around their May 2016 ToS deadline without having to - again - extend the accountability date (now 18 months, up from 12) and raising a poo poo storm. Which, going by your exchange with Sandi from Dec, is now clear they don't have any intentions of releasing those financials; and never did.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Oh, I never said it was. Several games have done it. It's just one more thing that Star Citizen gets to copy.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...sleeper-pirates

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

D_Smart posted:

On Dec 17th when we last ran an analysis, we were hovering at around $2.6M per month. Not quite $3M, but that's due to some of the on-going cut-backs (e.g. the Austin studio was a huge expense). Which btw is around what Frontier (last we checked), had as their burn rate; though they have fewer studios and less people.

Between Aug and their Q4/15 windfall, we estimate that they probably gained an entire quarter of funding - all things being equal. Which ties in with their rush to get some aspect of SQ42 out by the Summer. Of course my sources tell me that's not going to happen unless Chris pulls another 2.0 fiasco which nobody thinks he will risk doing.

The key issue here is that on releasing the disastrous 2.0, they're now trying to pass that off as substantial. We (well the attorneys really) think that's a prelude to refusing refunds (as I predicted back in Oct they would do) as well as a way to get around their May 2016 ToS deadline without having to - again - extend the accountability date (now 18 months, up from 12) and raising a poo poo storm. Which, going by your exchange with Sandi from Dec, is now clear they don't have any intentions of releasing those financials; and never did.

What's this mean? Like a "Hey guys, chapter 1 is on PTU! Don't mind the bugs, missions past mission 3 will unlock in two weeks!" kind of thing?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Lowtax posted:

Did you write it yourself and was it 100,000,0000 words long

No, gently caress that. I have Dragon for that. I just dictate that poo poo.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/311433/thankyou-to-all-cig-and-chris-roberts-on-making-the-bdmmoe

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Justin Tyme posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:

What's this mean? Like a "Hey guys, chapter 1 is on PTU! Don't mind the bugs, missions past mission 3 will unlock in two weeks!" kind of thing?

Yeah

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
My fear for Star Citizen

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/309774/my-fear-for-star-citizen

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
It's kinda nice to see Derek embracing his inner goon.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

You guys were laughing at having birds in the game all week. But then bam! Highly detailed environments, with wildlife you can hunt. Chris was trolling you all along. Of course there would be birds in the game. You guys forgot the animal hunting module specified in the design document. This is the BDSSE after all, you can't not have birds.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

God drat I love it when Derek rolls through here all full of "soons" and "I invented space games" and poo poo.

It's the only thing that livens this thread up almost as much as Sandi having a meltdown.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Poor kid has progeria, don't genetic shame.

Well, something's wrong with him. He has a compass clipped onto his spaceship.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Tokamak posted:

You guys were laughing at having birds in the game all week. But then bam! Highly detailed environments, with wildlife you can hunt. Chris was trolling you all along. Of course there would be birds in the game. You guys forgot the animal hunting module specified in the design document. This is the BDSSE after all, you can't not have birds.

It's going to be called the Star Cry module.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tokamak posted:

To prove they're for real about this CIG just put out this new trailer

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

myschef posted:

Do you think Patrick cringed when he was ordered to tell beer that he was aiding and abetting corporate espionage?

By all accounts Patrick is a decent guy and I imagine he never expected this level of stupidity or insanity when he signed on.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

drat work, I am so far behind on amazing SC news it's going to take me hours to catch up.

And :lol: that Sandi several times used the term 'butt hurt' in her official customer service responses.

Look, those drat primitive humans aren't going to catch and enslave themselves. You're just doing what needs to be done. Smile about it!

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Tokamak posted:

You guys were laughing at having birds in the game all week. But then bam! Highly detailed environmentsPLANETS, with wildlife you can hunt. Chris was trolling you all along. Of course there would be birds in the game. You guys forgot the animal hunting module specified in the design document. This is the BDSSE after all, you can't not have birds.
:psyboom:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can't blame patrick

dude needs a job

he gets paid to write emails with Sandi looking over his shoulder

its a tough job, but someone has to do it and thats his livelihood

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Dude legitimately probably has nightmares about her screaming about some dumb poo poo

"Paaaaaaaaaaaatrick why am I having to deal with this"

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I didn't get you anything for Chrismas and I felt bad about it.

You managed to get him the one thing he's always wanted, but thought no one could get him: vindication.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Obviously it's okay that they don't have game mechanics or know their limitations yet, this is loving alpha. Only a total loving tool like Dumbass Shart would do something like establish scope or focus on gameplay before redoing the animations seven times. I bet he doesn't even finish his assets before deciding how critical mechanics would work, let alone rework them twice based on incomplete design specs.

Chris knows what he's doing, and to spite the haters I'm getting my fifth Constellation!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I really want Star Citizen to have Vin Diesel, like in the Riddick movies and Riddick video games, which were quite good. They were also stealth games, and Star Citizen will now have stealth, so why can't it have Vin Diesel, too?

I would also like him to specifically reprise his role as the Riddick character but in the Star Citizen universe.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nemo2342 posted:

You managed to get him the one thing he's always wanted, but thought no one could get him: vindication.

I loving rule at Secret Santa.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I can't believe the inside of CIG isn't leaking like a sieve at this point. Well, I mean, it is, but nothing really good has come out since October. The tell-all, when it comes, is going to be legendary. You know that whatever madness we're seeing is just the tip of the iceberg, the inside of that studio has to be an absolute goddamn nightmare of delusion, narcissism and goalpost shifting.

P.S. no other thread has ever given me as many laughs-per-page as this one. Thank you, thread and thread posters. Please continue your good works.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

What is up with his hard nipples?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This Star Citizen thing reminds me of that Upton Sinclair quote: "“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it” except instead of salary it's pride and what is not understood is that you backed the wrong guy.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh nice, I didn't realize that "citizenship must be earned" was an official thing. I'm guessing they're going for the Starship Troopers thing with that? Heinlein would actually probably fit right in with some of these dudes though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Heinlein would actually probably fit right in with some of these dudes though.

Because they fantasize about loving their mums and daughters?

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

This thread may be the best use of the Madden giferator ever devised.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Cross-posting something from the Board Game Thread in TG because I got confused and thought I was still in this thread.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

starkebn posted:

Because they fantasize about loving their mums and daughters?

Yeah basically, at the very least I wouldn't be shocked if Heinlein were posting on the internet right now he would be in a fursuit or something

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I believe him because something amazing with Star Citizen is always happening two weeks from now.

^

2 weeks ago it seemed like nothing was happening but now, two weeks later, sandi gardiner has lost her mind and embarassed herself with her crazy rear end missive to beer god.

Derek Smart Was Right.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

D_Smart posted:

Join the club. I'm getting four. :)

Can I have one of your extra occulus rifts Dr Smart?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my wife and I are both going to get an oculus

we should all do movie night since I konw there is a multiplayer theatre thing where you like sit in a theatre with other people and watch a movie

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

So reading the new posts since that thread last came up.

quote:

Agreed. SQ42 can focus on being a drat good space flight sim/shooter with a great story and the excellent graphics we've seen so far. CR has a proven track record here with wingcommander and Freelancer. SC on the other hand is one big experiment, and I absolutely applaud CIG for taking these risks. Unfortunately it seems ED is an example of just how wrong it can go (although i confess i've never played ED only read about it)

I wonder where he's been reading about it?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

You know what's the best about the Madden gifs? They promised futuristic Madden action in the game all the way back in 2013.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/13365-Lore-Builder-Four-Sataball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Eonwe posted:

my wife and I are both going to get an oculus

we should all do movie night since I konw there is a multiplayer theatre thing where you like sit in a theatre with other people and watch a movie

liar

how could any goon be married

• Locked thread