Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Can you use a cast iron pot as a Dutch oven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Can you use a cast iron pot as a Dutch oven?

Yes, but I'd recommend lining the pot with parchment paper.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I made croissants, pretty good for a first effort, but next time I'll try to get neater lamination and shaping:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i made another bread(s). it's the raisin+coriander whole wheat bread from the tartine book

you guys are golden raisins please stop dressing as grapes

this one gave me some shaping problems and came out a little :downs: but the other is a little taller and rounder so it ought to look a little better on the inside

getting into the spirit of bread magic i fed my starter 100% whole wheat for 3 days prior and autolysed overnight and i think it worked because this poo poo is loving delicious :goatdrugs:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Do you guys have any tips for making my starter more sour? I've been using the Tartine method (100% hydration starter fed twice a day with 50/50 whole wheat and bread flour) and it's made fantastic bread, albeit very mild. Chad Robertson explicitly says this should be the case, so I'm not surprised, but I'd really like to make some aggressive SF style sourdough bread.

My current experiment is to create a second starter from the Mother at 50% hydration and fed only rye flour, but any other insight would be welcome.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mikey Purp posted:

Do you guys have any tips for making my starter more sour? I've been using the Tartine method (100% hydration starter fed twice a day with 50/50 whole wheat and bread flour) and it's made fantastic bread, albeit very mild. Chad Robertson explicitly says this should be the case, so I'm not surprised, but I'd really like to make some aggressive SF style sourdough bread.

My current experiment is to create a second starter from the Mother at 50% hydration and fed only rye flour, but any other insight would be welcome.

Just keep feeding it. It's possible that the yeast in your air isn't as acidic as some others, but it will sourify over time regardless.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Using a larger amount of more mature starter will result in a more sour bread. So increase the amount of starter in the final bread dough, adjusting flour and water added to the dough as needed. Also let your starter become very mature before using it, letting it get to the peak of its activity and then letting it ride a bit past that.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

PatMarshall posted:

I made croissants, pretty good for a first effort, but next time I'll try to get neater lamination and shaping:

I love making croissants, even if they're a huge pain. Those look great for a first effort.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

In addition to the above, a long retarded bulk proof in the fridge can enhance the sour flavor. I like this recipe: http://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/san-francisco-style-sourdough-bread/

And thanks PFlats, but you're only saying that because you didn't see the crumb! Croissants are a lot of fun and even when they don't come out perfect, they still taste great. I was paranoid about keeping everything cold and using good quality butter and it seemed to help, but I definitely mangled a few layers.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

PFlats posted:

I love making croissants, even if they're a huge pain. Those look great for a first effort.

Seconding this, they look good. Probably taste even better!

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
I decided to try making beavertails for the first time tonight. If you don't know what they are there are about a trillion recipes out there but this is the one I used:

1/2 cup warm water
5 teaspoons dry yeast
1 pinch sugar
1/3 cup warm milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
5 cups self rising flour
Vegetable oil for frying
Cinnamon sugar

Method
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the yeast, warm water and pinch of sugar.
Allow to stand a couple of minutes to allow yeast to swell and dissolve.
Stir in remaining sugar, milk, vanilla, eggs, oil, salt and most of flour to make soft dough.
Knead 5-8 minutes (by hand or with dough hook), adding flour as needed to form a firm, smooth, elastic dough.
Place in a greased bowl. Place bowl in a plastic bag and seal. (if not using right away, you can refrigerate the dough at this point)
Let rise in a covered, lightly greased bowl; about 30-40 minutes
Gently deflate dough (if dough is coming out of the fridge, allow to warm up about 40 minutes before proceeding:
Pinch off a golfball sized piece of dough. Roll out into an oval and let rest, covered with a tea towel while you are preparing the remaining dough.
Heat about 5 cm of oil in the fryer in a wok. After a few minutes, drop a little dough in the oil. If it sizzles and browns up, then the oil is ready.
Add the dough pieces to the hot oil, about 1-2 at a time.

BUT!! Before you do, stretch the ovals into a tail shape - like a beavers tail - thinning them out and enlarging them as you do.
Turn once to fry until the undersides are deep brown. DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM THE STOVE as the tails burn quickly.
Lift the tails out with tongs and drain on paper towels.
Immediately toss the tails in cinnamon sugar and shake off.

They were amazing. I put lemon juice on mine to have them Killaloe Sunrise style. The best way.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
can you make bread if you dont have like a mixer dealie or anything? I want to learn to make bread but im not buying a mixer dealie just to make the bread that would be dumb

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nooner posted:

can you make bread if you dont have like a mixer dealie or anything? I want to learn to make bread but im not buying a mixer dealie just to make the bread that would be dumb

Here you go Nooner.

All you need is a bowl, flour, water, yeast, and salt.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Nooner posted:

Try some of this:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

Here you go Nooner.

Yep. See OP.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

The Midniter posted:

Here you go Nooner.

bread takes a long time :sigh:

Also I don't have a Dutch oven :sigh::sigh::sigh:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Do you have a big oven-safe pot? That will work in place of a dutch oven.
Something like:

But you don't actually need a dutch oven, though it is helpful to keep the bread moist as it cooks.

And yeah, good bread takes a long time, but most of the time is spent ignoring it.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

taqueso posted:

Something like:

But you don't actually need a dutch oven, though it is helpful to keep the bread moist as it cooks.

And yeah, good bread takes a long time, but most of the time is spent ignoring it.

oh bad rear end i totally have one of those. okay will buy some yeast at the market tonight and give that recipe a shot, thanks GWS (:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
You can make bread on a baking sheet. Dutch oven is nice but not required. Mixer makes it stupid easy but you can make it by hand, just stir everything in a bowl and then knead it on a flat surface. It will take 5-10 minutes of solid kneading, which is not nothing but is not really that much work.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Made sourdough pizzas, mainly because I was lazy and didn't want to go to the store for yeast. Dough, for some reason, became way too wet, but I got some bubbles going:

Needs more work for sure, but fun to try.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Nooner posted:

I have a mixer and I use it for initial combining of ingredients, but honestly most of what I do happens on the worktop, and for years I did initial mixing in the bowl.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I'm realizing yet again that yeast risen dough is just yeast risen dough and you can use it for basically anything. I had some high hydration whole wheat dough in the fridge, originally for bread or pizza. But i worked some more flour into it, and turned it into naan. Flatbreads are so easy, man. Everyone make flatbread.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

My sourdough starter is a little over a year old and I couldn't be prouder of the loves it makes. I got a proofing basket as a celebration.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

taqueso posted:

Something like:

cast iron is actually kind of a big deal because it has very high emissivity! which is to say, it radiates much of whatever heat it absorbs back out as thermal radiation so that the top of your bread is actually cooking while the top is on. this is not the case with lesser metals. it might still make ok bread but it's not going to cook the top as well while it's got the humidity trapped in there when you want the crust to be crusting

Obligatory Toast posted:

My sourdough starter is a little over a year old and I couldn't be prouder of the loves it makes. I got a proofing basket as a celebration.

mine has been alive for about 3 weeks! does it count as a houseplant or a pet?

e: i made some olive bread tonight!

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 12, 2016

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Just want to say that I love everyone's shots of their stuff, looking good all!

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i had left over flour so i made tortillas, 20 of them. i put flour and water in a bowl with olive oil and salt and i formed a dough and i wrapped it in plastic for 15 minutes and then i made tortillas, 20 in number. i ate 19 of them and my dog ate 1 of them, all 20 tortillas gone. thanks for reading!

e: i ate too many tortillas. i should have eaten 12 out of 20, 2 to dog, and remainder of 6 to refrigerator, total of 20

strong bird fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 13, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The Goatfather posted:

cast iron is actually kind of a big deal because it has very high emissivity! which is to say, it radiates much of whatever heat it absorbs back out as thermal radiation so that the top of your bread is actually cooking while the top is on. this is not the case with lesser metals. it might still make ok bread but it's not going to cook the top as well while it's got the humidity trapped in there when you want the crust to be crusting

Didn't realize the difference was as large as it is, the emissivity of stainless is really low. Neat.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I just realized that my wife, during her new years clean out the fridge/freezer routine, threw out my sourdough starter.

I am sad.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Cimber posted:

I just realized that my wife, during her new years clean out the fridge/freezer routine, threw out my sourdough starter.

I am sad.

Yes, divorce is always a sad affair.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Cimber posted:

I am sad.

Sever.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i started feeding a bit of rye to my starter in addition to the usual 50:50 all purpose/white whole wheat blend and whoa! Between the addition of the rye and the temperature where my starter lives dropping to ~67 it gets an awesome sweet almost overripe apple kind of nose to it when it finally ripens and it makes really delicious bread. I've been bulk fermenting at 75-80 degrees to kickstart the yeast and then proofing overnight in the fridge and the trend of every loaf being the best yet is ongoing

here's some whole wheat raisin bread i just baked w/ some toasted pecans thrown in for good measure:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 22, 2016

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Looks great! Agreed on the rye starter, I've been using one for a while now and it really is easy to maintain with a good smell/flavor.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

PatMarshall posted:

Looks great! Agreed on the rye starter, I've been using one for a while now and it really is easy to maintain with a good smell/flavor.

That looks amazing. The hassle if maintaining a starter has always deterred me. What's your routine and baking recipe?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I basically just do what they say on this site: http://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/rye-sourdough-starter-in-easy-steps/

Super easy, lives in the fridge in a mason jar and gets fed once a week (I've let it go for up to a month, at which point it smelled like varnish, but came back to life once it was fed).

The recipe for the below loaf is a modified version of the Tartine recipe: http://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/our-version-of-tartine-style-bread/ If you're using King Arthur flour, you can bump the hydration up a bit. If you have a dutch oven or covered ovenproof pot, use it. Remove the lid after 20 minutes or so. Really improves the crust.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Have you guys sprung for freshly milled flour? The tartine book suggests that it makes a huge difference. I've got nothing locally but there are a few sites milling flour to order and its a bit more expensive ($10/5lb plus shipping) but that's still not a lot per loaf if it's worth it. I'm specifically interested in improving the crumb of my whole wheat bread, for which which the book suggests freshly milled hard red spring wheat is best iirc

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 24, 2016

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Personally, I have so many other aspects of my technique that I'm still trying to nail down that I haven't been able to discern the difference between Gold Medal and local organic flour that costs 4 times as much. Not to say that the difference isn't there, but just that I doubt it's going to be as dramatic if the rest of your technique isn't near perfect.

I've read books by Robertson, Reinhart, and Forkish and they all swear that the type and quality of flour is the key to good bread so :shrug:

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Made some bagels this morning, they came out awesome.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

Personally, I have so many other aspects of my technique that I'm still trying to nail down that I haven't been able to discern the difference between Gold Medal and local organic flour that costs 4 times as much. Not to say that the difference isn't there, but just that I doubt it's going to be as dramatic if the rest of your technique isn't near perfect.

I've read books by Robertson, Reinhart, and Forkish and they all swear that the type and quality of flour is the key to good bread so :shrug:

I dunno, I switched from supermarket bread flour to Stoat & Sons' stoneground I found the difference to be almost night and day. First of all, the colour of my crumb was way different, kind of a lovely buff colour, almost like a light brown bread. Secondly, I found I could increase my upper limit on hydration from 65% to 73% before I found the dough to be unworkable (my technique with high hydration is pretty poor), which improved my texture. Most importantly though, I found a new depth of flavour with malty notes and nutty sweetness. Maybe my supermarket flour was especially poo poo, but for me the upgrade was colossal.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

therattle posted:

That looks amazing. The hassle if maintaining a starter has always deterred me. What's your routine and baking recipe?

I basically do this:
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/32136/life-fred-maintaining-starter-pictures

I've left it for months in the fridge and it came back to life quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I use organic flour from a little farm close to where I grew up. They make a point of always having freshly ground flour in the pipeline, and there's a "ground on" date on all their products.

I can easily tell a difference between that and normal supermarket flour. Yes, it's three times the price, but I can still make a batch of dough for four bucks which will make pizzas and bread for two people for a weekend. The good organic stuff gives a completely different crumb, smell and taste. Also, it can be hydrated much more and still become delicious elastic dough.