Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

my stepdads beer posted:

a bunch of hypervisors can do this as you only read the OS at boot. i guess if you keep logs/swap elsewhere it's fine. the idea makes me uneasy though

it should

i was doing this a few years ago and it was really hard to find usb drives that were halfway reliable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Athas posted:

Why are you putting USB sticks in a server?

What kind of server is this

it's a set of two file servers (currently used as a redundant glorified nas) for which the main requirements are:

0) cheaper than our department's commercial backup plan (which is hella overpriced) and not :yaycloud: based
1) has a gui so that
2) it can be used to move files to/from external hard drive via said gui when someone doesn't feel like using the network for ~reasons~
3) data must be completely portable so no raid, i.e. if the thing dies and someone needs to access data/move data to a replacement thing the procedure is remove hard drive plug hard drive into different computer

so basically "should be useable and maintainable for people who have never seen a command line and can barely be trusted to correctly plug a thing in after i eventually leave"

i considered a usb boot drive and freenas but given the above and a glut of sata ports on the mainboard i just bought an ssd and the large nas box from the sh/sc pc building thread :effort:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

blowfish posted:

it's a set of two file servers (currently used as a redundant glorified nas) for which the main requirements are:

0) cheaper than our department's commercial backup plan (which is hella overpriced) and not :yaycloud: based
1) has a gui so that
2) it can be used to move files to/from external hard drive via said gui when someone doesn't feel like using the network for ~reasons~
3) data must be completely portable so no raid, i.e. if the thing dies and someone needs to access data/move data to a replacement thing the procedure is remove hard drive plug hard drive into different computer

so basically "should be useable and maintainable for people who have never seen a command line and can barely be trusted to correctly plug a thing in after i eventually leave"

i considered a usb boot drive and freenas but given the above and a glut of sata ports on the mainboard i just bought an ssd and the large nas box from the sh/sc pc building thread :effort:

jesus :stonk:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

yeah basically a home server/nas

welcome to academia in a non compsci field, we just do whatever because the only people burned in the worst case scenario is ourselves

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

my stepdads beer posted:

a bunch of hypervisors can do this as you only read the OS at boot. i guess if you keep logs/swap elsewhere it's fine. the idea makes me uneasy though

yeah this is the idea for freenas on a usb drive. the os is loaded into ram and never writes to the boot drive unless you are changing configuration or something. once you're done configuring you just make an image and put it on the next usb stick when the current one dies because you were too cheap to buy something with more sata/sas slots where adding an ssd doesn't eat into available storage drives

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

quote is edit

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

redid my debian minimal build and with xmonad + thunar my external hdd mounted and unmounted perfectly. 2016 truly is the year. so far everything has just werk'd besides trying to get urxvt working how i want but that's it's own nutshell

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

this is what X-Windows should look like right here

(of course, I've been using Open Look the past few days on my SS20…)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
jimbo jaggins

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

2016 has so far been the year of linux on the laptops(' ultrabay secondary SSD I occasionally plug in to run outdated lab equipment that hates windows)

successfully installed kubuntu over some older pile of garbage and successfully installed synaptic to get a less poo poo package manager

kubuntu even helped me find out which of my USB drives are crapping out by helpfully crashing halfway into the install due to corrupted files :yayclod:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

yos pos

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
dunno if this was already posted (:justpost:), but the debian guy is dead: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/12/ian-murdock-father-of-debian-dead-at-42/

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

there's an ian murdock deathwatch thread in yospos mocking the whole process starting from his tweets

do you have a life live under a rock or what

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

blowfish posted:

there's an ian murdock deathwatch thread in yospos mocking the whole process starting from his tweets

do you have a life live under a rock or what

there's a front page?list of threads other than my subscribed ones? :blush:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it was also posted itt

not making GBS threads on you prefect, just giving credit where it's due

the 'pos is a well informed establishment

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Symbolic Butt posted:

it was also posted itt

not making GBS threads on you prefect, just giving credit where it's due

the 'pos is a well informed establishment

it's cool; i was pretty sure it had been posted before. now that i've actually looked for news items, it's a couple of days old. should have paid more attention to start with :downs:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

blowfish posted:

yeah basically a home server/nas

welcome to academia in a non compsci field, we just do whatever because the only people burned in the worst case scenario is ourselves

don't u have central IT automatically backing up your poo poo

(lmao)

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Everyone be sayin you need some patched urxvt or some poo poo but they're all on arch and gently caress this poo poo on debian.
code:
urxvt: unable to calculate font width for 'DejaVu Sans Mono:slant=0:weight=100:pixelsize=18:antialias=False:autohint=True:minspace=True', ignoring.
urxvt: unable to calculate font width for 'Courier New:slant=0:weight=100:pixelsize=18:antialias=False:autohint=True:minspace=True', ignoring.
urxvt: unable to calculate font width for 'Andale Mono:slant=0:weight=100:pixelsize=18:antialias=False:autohint=False:minspace=True', ignoring.
urxvt: unable to calculate font width for 'Arial Unicode MS:slant=0:weight=100:pixelsize=18:antialias=False:autohint=False:minspace=True', ignoring.
urxvt: unable to calculate font width for 'FreeMono:slant=0:weight=100:pixelsize=18:autohint=True:minspace=True', ignoring.
b0red@hagale:~$ urxvt -fn "xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:pixelsize=12:antialias=True:autohint=True:minspace=True" 
urxvt: unable to calculate font width for 'DejaVu Sans Mono:slant=0:weight=100:pixelsize=14:antialias=False:autohint=True:minspace=True', ignoring.
urxvt: unable to calculate font width for 'Courier New:slant=0:weight=100:pixelsize=14:antialias=False:autohint=True:minspace=True', ignoring.
urxvt: unable to calculate font width for 'Andale Mono:slant=0:weight=100:pixelsize=14:antialias=False:autohint=False:minspace=True', ignoring.
urxvt: unable to calculate font width for 'FreeMono:slant=0:weight=100:pixelsize=14:autohint=True:minspace=True', ignoring
what's a good terminal emulator that will do fonts, 256color, etc and not be lame like urxvt

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i've never understood why urxvt is the gold standard of linux terminal emulators. i tried using it for a long time and it was always a pain to use and configure

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

b0red posted:

what's a good terminal emulator that will do fonts, 256color, etc and not be lame like urxvt

konsole

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i've never understood why urxvt is the gold standard of linux terminal emulators. i tried using it for a long time and it was always a pain to use and configure

it sounds like you understand it already

neckbeards love needlessly arcane poo poo with a thousand configurable knobs

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i used to use urxvt and think it was good because i was* a dumb idiot with nothing better to do than read endless manpages and fiddle with rcfiles

now i just use whatever the desktop provides, i.e. usually gnome-terminal, which turns out to be fine and can even be configured to look sufficiently like a graybeard xterm for me to be happy using it

* lol past tense

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
gnome-terminal suits my terminal needs

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it's pretty good now that i know how to stop the cursor blinking, thanks to whoever it was in this thread who told me how to do that

pram
Jun 10, 2001
terminal.app

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so its linux within linux

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
its linuxes all the way down

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pram posted:

iterm2

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Barnyard Protein posted:

its linuxes all the way down

yo dawg i herd u liek linux so i got a linux to put in yo linux so yo can linux in yo linux wat up

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

imagine a user friendly preconfigured user interface with a pro mode neckbeard mode that lets you turn everything into a custom blend of poo poo (barf coloured window borders, console font, 25 layer menu trees)

has anyone ever tried this and how terrible did it turn out

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

blowfish posted:

imagine a user friendly preconfigured user interface with a pro mode neckbeard mode that lets you turn everything into a custom blend of poo poo (barf coloured window borders, console font, 25 layer menu trees)

has anyone ever tried this and how terrible did it turn out

just use windows if you want to change the color scheme to hot dog stand and dig through 10 layers of menus and panels to setup a printer (and then another 8 to print a test page)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

The_Franz posted:

just use windows if you want to change the color scheme to hot dog stand and dig through 10 layers of menus and panels to setup a printer (and then another 8 to print a test page)

i know but windows is not open sores

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

late to the party but gnome-terminal or terminator

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Kuake

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I've been using Command Tool under OpenWindows 3 lately, it's been interesting, it reminded me a lot of the Transcript app under Andrew

I also tried to get SunView working but was only sort of able to, maybe I'll give it another go soon, once I can more easily boot between OSes

or maybe I'll see if I can dig up the Andrew Toolkit and wm sources and see if I can make it build under NetBSD 7, which is installing right now on my SS20

2016 the 36th year of BSD on the workstation

(of course everybody at work is asking "so are you running OPENSTEP?")

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

moonshine is...... posted:

late to the party but gnome-terminal or terminator

same

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i tried booting ubuntu from a usb stick on my laptop and it seemed to work. all the fonts and toolbars were really tiny, but since wifi worked, i reckon i could get all that poo poo fixed if i wanted a release from my windows 10 hell

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pram posted:

terminal.app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Wheany posted:

i tried booting ubuntu from a usb stick on my laptop and it seemed to work. all the fonts and toolbars were really tiny, but since wifi worked, i reckon i could get all that poo poo fixed if i wanted a release from my windows 10 hell
gnome and kde have better scaling support than regular Ubuntu with unity in my experience