Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dear Derek,

I'm thinking about going and getting textbooks for my classes today. My textbooks are going to cost kind of a lot of money. I don't have a problem with that, but I do have one concern. For that amount of money I could get a super nifty picture of a spaceship to look at. I'm not sure which is the better use of my fiat currency. You're a self-made man, and video games mogul. What should I do?

Sincerely,
Confused-and-in-Love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Avalanche posted:

Sooooo lets say the FTC is loving pissed....

When this poo poo goes down, what happens to all the poor Santa Monica coder kids that got hoodwinked into signing on with this shitshow after graduating from UCLA/USC/SMJC?

Unemployment?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Lowtax posted:

I, for one, am incredibly excited about the stealthy parts of the FPS. it has always been a dream of mine to be able to crawl through air ducts in a video game, but so far the technology simply wasnt there and nobody could engineer a method to make this available. I'm so excited that Roberts and Co. were able to finally figure out a way to maximize the leverage of the CryEngine to make such a vital, realistic, and unquestionably original idea of crawling through air ducts in a FPS spring to life.

Kudos, gents.

GTFO if you don't believe in the dream. Just because Chris Roberts is doing it, means that it will be done differently and push boundaries. And there will be smoke in the air ducts now. Because CryEngine.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

you sir have won the internet!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Give him a dr. strange beard and cloak, those are funky hand movements......

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Dear Derek,

I'm thinking about going and getting textbooks for my classes today. My textbooks are going to cost kind of a lot of money. I don't have a problem with that, but I do have one concern. For that amount of money I could get a super nifty picture of a spaceship to look at. I'm not sure which is the better use of my fiat currency. You're a self-made man, and video games mogul. What should I do?

Sincerely,
Confused-and-in-Love

Use the money on JPEG ships. Then print all the text book stuff from Wikipedia. Profit.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:glomp:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Yeah that has the same address as one of the offices for Cloud Imperium Games Corporation, uses the same agent, Ortwin Freyermuth, who is also a CIG founder but doesn't say who owns Gemini 42. Sure I'm 99.9% sure it's Chris and possibly Sandi Roberts considering their birthdays and the egos that seem to be involved in all this, but that's not the same thing as being able to link someone something that proves it. You know how crazy citizens are.

Edit, Shorter way to say the above, to my knowledge the ownership details aren't public knowledge, which isn't me disagreeing with anything you know to be true or me not believing you, it's just me saying I can't currently verify the information independently.

While I'm talking to you, just a reminder, all this stuff about the technical limitations of the cry engine, the lack of planning and project management are interesting but kinda dry. The real juicy stuff is the gossip about personal chefs, private jets and 20k coffee machines, so if you can add more of that to the mix whenever possible it would be appreciated.

AP fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 6, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

Dear Derek,

Sincerely,
Confused-and-in-Love

Start a crowdfunding campaign for your textbooks. Then when your goal is reached, expand your studies to include quantum theory, Akkadian cuneiform and advanced mathematics, and continue taking donations

It's like this thread, and the opportunity to learn from one of the greatest saleswomen of all time without a shadow of a doubt and ever since I was a little girl has taught you nothing

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

:homebrew:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In case anyone was wondering, you can indeed get banned for what you post off-site.

I'd like to extend my thanks to Sandi and Patrick for being so forthright and polite with me. At first I was a little worried I wouldn't see anything beyond an automated response, but then an anonymous CS rep helped me out, followed by Sandi herself, and then when Sandi couldn't provide the necessary information Patrick was kind enough to clarify.

I hope you guys find the attached conversation as enlightening as I did.

Who remembers this guy from back when The Escapist article hit?

quote:

"the industry doesn't revolve around what's loving right. It revolves around who has power" - @Bluedrake42, circa Oct 2015

Here is what happened today:

@dsmart https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/684713917982072832

@Bluedrake42 https://twitter.com/Bluedrake42/status/684718523747315712

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0pqkf8WXPE

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Also it was funny you took my comment about the centre-of-mass circle as being serious

This thread is where irony comes to weep

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Your mediocre twitter spats with random people are not the comedy we're looking for

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Doctor Derek Doctors is going bananas on Twitter today.

quote:

Derek Smart ‏@dsmart 39m39 minutes ago

@lowtax @TheEscapistMag I know at least one person who's couch Chris was reportedly sleeping on prior to Star Citizen.

Couch surfing Crobberts. Please, can you spare a jpeg for the homeless? Just millions of spaceship jpegs can feed, house and give a Porsche to mush mouthed fucknuts for several years.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol at the idea of anyone in the games industry having ~power~

i'm sure the CIA will be in touch

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

alphabettitouretti posted:

Couch surfing Crobberts. Please, can you spare a jpeg for the homeless? Just millions of spaceship jpegs can feed, house and give a Porsche to mush mouthed fucknuts for several years.

Chris lies on the couch, quietly sobbing into a cushion as a muted conversation, punctuated by brief bouts of shouting and silence, is heard through the closed door to the bedroom
:gary:"I wanna do moooovies!!! I'm never sleeping on a non-Restoration Hardware couch again!"

Clenches his fist as he once again thrusts his face into the pool of sweat, drool and tears on the cushion.

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 6, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

You don't need his permission. He put it in the public domain. So Fair Use reigns. But ask him anyway; just because it was an incredible gift.

Yeah I put it out there and then forgot the link so I can't even delete it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

Yeah that has the same address as one of the offices for Cloud Imperium Games Corporation, uses the same agent, Ortwin Freyermuth, who is also a CIG founder but doesn't say who owns Gemini 42. Sure I'm 99.9% sure it's Chris and possibly Sandi Roberts considering their birthdays and the egos that seem to be involved in all this, but that's not the same thing as being able to link someone something that proves it. You know how crazy citizens are.

While I'm talking to you, just a reminder, all this stuff about the technical limitations of the cry engine, the lack of planning and project management are interesting but kinda dry. The real juicy stuff is the gossip about personal chefs, private jets and 20k coffee machines, so if you can add more of that to the mix whenever possible it would be appreciated.

Speaking of which did anyone ever confirm that they do indeed have a $20K coffee machine?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lowtax posted:

We'll see who gets the last laugh when the game is released in 2067 and I'm spending my golden years crouched in a space air duct, using pure strategy to accomplish my space goals. You will probably be on a toilet, weeping uncontrollably with regret that you didn't believe in the DREAMS! of spaceship air duct stealth tactics.

Imagine your surprise when your "air duct" turns out to be my toilet outflow.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

It's in the CA public record. And there are two entities. GEMINI 42 ENTERTAINMENT, LLC (12/26/2013) and GEMINI 42 PRODUCTIONS, LLC (02/28/2014)

Go here http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/ search for Gemini 42 under "Limited Liability Company/"

To get the names of the officers, you have to request a copy (we have it).

quote:

heh. There's a whole lot more than that; but I'm under strict legal advisory on what I can/cannot divulge in the public record outside of legal action.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Thirsty Dog posted:

Your mediocre twitter spats with random people are not the comedy we're looking for

Star Citizen shills with YouTube accounts that have 138K subscribers, is not "random people". Get a grip.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

heh. There's a whole lot more than that; but I'm under strict legal advisory on what I can/cannot divulge in the public record outside of legal action.

I imagine their bite is worse than their bark.

D_Smart posted:

Star Citizen shills with YouTube accounts that have 138K subscribers, is not "random people". Get a grip.

Please. I don't even get out of bed if they have less than 250K.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You know if I was living the millionaire lifestyle with private jets and personal chefs, I think I'd probably feel really upset and inadequate knowing that I was just playing make believe with company money.

Like, either do it properly or not at all.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

alphabettitouretti posted:

quote:

Derek Smart ‏@dsmart 39m39 minutes ago

@lowtax @TheEscapistMag I know at least one person who's couch Chris was reportedly sleeping on prior to Star Citizen.

The more I think about the poo poo she wrote in her exchange with Beer, the more upset I become; due to all the factual stuff that I know (and can't share in the public domain, outside of a legal channel) and which they probably know by now that I know.

quote:

considering that both Chris & Sandi were FLAT BROKE prior to Star Citizen, just makes her claims laughable

and every single tangible asset they now own, was acquired AFTER the 2012 Kickstarter. All easily proven

while they are spending money on PIs to antagonize & intimate, our PIs are digging into more tangible things

failed movie director + failed actress + failed media attorney + too much money = the demise of Star Citizen

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's like mediocre city traders who -rent- a ferrari on a ridiculously short term basis. You know you're pretending so just stop.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

It's in the CA public record. And there are two entities. GEMINI 42 ENTERTAINMENT, LLC (12/26/2013) and GEMINI 42 PRODUCTIONS, LLC (02/28/2014)

Go here http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/ search for Gemini 42 under "Limited Liability Company/"

To get the names of the officers, you have to request a copy (we have it).

I put an edit in.

Edit, Shorter way to say the above, to my knowledge the ownership details aren't public knowledge, which isn't me disagreeing with anything you know to be true or me not believing you, it's just me saying I can't currently verify the information independently.

My original comment was to someone talking about what we know, what we know is different from what you know because you have sources and resources we don't but it's also useful to consider what can be independently verified. It's useful for CIG to make concerns about Star Citizen all about you and I appreciate you are limited in what you can say for reasons and it must be tiresome to have to repeat yourself but there was a thread before you arrived and we may not have known the extent of what was happening but we had worked a few things out.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:vince:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
So far, we have engaged in the tradition of "10 For the Chairman", where Chris Roberts personally says "yes" to 10 hand-selected questions by you, the community! This is irrefutable proof of our open development.

Now, we're going to try something different. This week, feast your eyes on our new feature, "10 For the Chairwoman", where Sandi Gardiner herself answers all of your questions about the 'Verse!

Question 1: I'm curious about the new animal skinning mechanic. Can I also capture live animals, bring them to another planet, and have them realistically integrate with the biosphere, including introducing or falling prey to different pathogens?

Sandi: Without Chris Roberts there is NO PROJECT. He is the project, NO ONE else has the expertize nor the vision and everyone works here because they are on his project, otherwise everyone should just go out and do it themselves.

Question 2: I am wondering about the different torpedo types. Unlike lasers and projectile weapons, torpedoes must have a fuel source of some kind. Can we research, produce, and then put different types of fuel in our torpedoes for different situations?

Sandi: From my perspective, I bet money on the fact that for more than 3 years I have done the job of at least 6 people and I am a shrewd businesswoman with a lot of experience in business.

Question 3: I was overjoyed to learn you were putting birds in the game. My pet parrot, Lenny, died years ago in a tragic blender mishap. Can I scan photos of Lenny and have him recreated in the 'Verse?

Sandi: The project would not be here without me. I wrote up the full plan by myself before anyone else was on board. I have also been actively searching for more than two years, we haven't found someone to replace me yet nor work for the salary I am paid.

Question 4: Regarding new ship sales, what is the "Rule of Thumb", as it were, that determines if a ship design passes muster and gets approved for addition to the game? What characteristics do you favor in terms of mechanics, aesthetics, etc.?

Sandi: VPs also in general, don't want to get their hands dirty in the trenches like I do and at the very least they have an assistant which I don't even have that.

Question 5: Regarding creating our avatars, I know that there is no character creation screen just yet. How deep will character customization go? Is it preset facial features, or will there be sliders for fine-tuning? Can we change height, weight, etc.?

Sandi: I also haven't taken one day off since I started this project because if its not one person who needs help its another. Just this last Thanksgiving I worked and will also be doing the same over Christmas unfortunately as no-one else is going to do it.

Question 6: I love, more than anything else, the promise of multi-crew in this game. Will there be a chance to see things like alien NPC vessels trying to commandeer a damaged ship while the crew is outside, using EVA, trying to do emergency repairs, forcing us to use FPS weapons to defend it?

Sandi: We have a fan base of over one million people now, I work 16 hours a day pretty much everyday and so do most people here, certainly Chris who codes all the time early into the morning.

Question 7: Will there be other ways to get raw resources besides mining asteroids? For example, salvaging wrecks, or going planetside for more plentiful but more mundane resources?

Sandi: Truth be known my life was way more grand before all of this started and I'm pretty confident I am the more formally educated person in this whole company.

Question 8: What sort of mechanics are in place if we run out of fuel and become adrift in space? Will there be beacons we can place, that might result in a rescue, or even attract a hostile response?

Sandi: Who doesn't 'silence doubters'? - - I am a qualified teacher, I can't have rowdy teenagers in the class constantly disrupting the class, nothing gets done nor moves forward.

Question 9: This is a Squadron 42 question: How flexible is the story? Are there different paths or endings that might occur due to my choices, like many Bioware games, or is it a set storyline?

Sandi: I am one of the best saleswomen in the world without a shadow of a doubt and always have been since I was a very small girl and I know a great product when I see it.

Question 10: Will there ever be a choice in the future to play as the Vanduul? I think it would be very interesting to play through the game from that point of view, and it could make player encounters even more interesting.

Sandi: What I have seen this year is a vocal minority of people who get butt-hurt that they are not a special snowflake anymore and butt hurt their opinion isn't well received so they shout louder or find someone who agrees with them to validate their opinon.

Well that wraps up this episode of "10 For the Chairwoman", I hope everyone found this enlightening! We'll see you ... in the 'Verse!

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 6, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Also it was funny you took my comment about the centre-of-mass circle as being serious

Star Citizen is where parody and reality merge.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : they don't KNOW that we know that they KNOW that we know that they KNOW.....

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Also Derek, please do write a book about Star Citizen when the dust settles, just hire an editor, I'd want a signed copy.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

D_Smart posted:

As many as that?!?!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I blame that solely on not having had my coffee yet. I don't understand anything pre-coffee. But in the grand order of shitposting, it goes Funny > Unintentionally Funny > Not Funny, so I'll take what I can get.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Use the money on JPEG ships. Then print all the text book stuff from Wikipedia. Profit.

That's fantastic advice! I can use the profits to pay for my Marine Biology/Schoolteacher/Business degree! It's a hybrid program.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

How can she say she hasn't taken a day off when she posts pictures of herself on vacation? Has she convinced herself that going to the Monaco GP and schmoozing on the yachts there is work?

Sandi you are a garbage person.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Beet Wagon posted:

Dear Derek,

Sincerely,
Confused-and-in-Love

When you think about it, textbooks are just jpgs in paper form.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
The best part about ^ is still that limited edition Porsch in the background, probably belonging to Crobbers. Discoleak strikes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

So far, we have engaged in the tradition of "10 For the Chairman", where Chris Roberts personally says "yes" to 10 hand-selected questions by you, the community! This is irrefutable proof of our open development.

Now, we're going to try something different. This week, feast your eyes on our new feature, "10 For the Chairwoman", where Sandi Gardiner herself answers all of your questions about the 'Verse!

Question 1: I'm curious about the new animal skinning mechanic. Can I also capture live animals, bring them to another planet, and have them realistically integrate with the biosphere, including introducing or falling prey to different pathogens?

Sandi: Without Chris Roberts there is NO PROJECT. He is the project, NO ONE else has the expertize nor the vision and everyone works here because they are on his project, otherwise everyone should just go out and do it themselves.

Question 2: I am wondering about the different torpedo types. Unlike lasers and projectile weapons, torpedoes must have a fuel source of some kind. Can we research, produce, and then put different types of fuel in our torpedoes for different situations?

Sandi: From my perspective, I bet money on the fact that for more than 3 years I have done the job of at least 6 people and I am a shrewd businesswoman with a lot of experience in business.

Question 3: I was overjoyed to learn you were putting birds in the game. My pet parrot, Lenny, died years ago in a tragic blender mishap. Can I scan photos of Lenny and have him recreated in the 'Verse?

Sandi: The project would not be here without me. I wrote up the full plan by myself before anyone else was on board. I have also been actively searching for more than two years, we haven't found someone to replace me yet nor work for the salary I am paid.

Question 4: Regarding new ship sales, what is the "Rule of Thumb", as it were, that determines if a ship design passes muster and gets approved for addition to the game? What characteristics do you favor in terms of mechanics, aesthetics, etc.?

Sandi: VPs also in general, don't want to get their hands dirty in the trenches like I do and at the very least they have an assistant which I don't even have that.

Question 5: Regarding creating our avatars, I know that there is no character creation screen just yet. How deep will character customization go? Is it preset facial features, or will there be sliders for fine-tuning? Can we change height, weight, etc.?

Sandi: I also haven't taken one day off since I started this project because if its not one person who needs help its another. Just this last Thanksgiving I worked and will also be doing the same over Christmas unfortunately as no-one else is going to do it.

Question 6: I love, more than anything else, the promise of multi-crew in this game. Will there be a chance to see things like alien NPC vessels trying to commandeer a damaged ship while the crew is outside, using EVA, trying to do emergency repairs, forcing us to use FPS weapons to defend it?

Sandi: We have a fan base of over one million people now, I work 16 hours a day pretty much everyday and so do most people here, certainly Chris who codes all the time early into the morning.

Question 7: Will there be other ways to get raw resources besides mining asteroids? For example, salvaging wrecks, or going planetside for more plentiful but more mundane resources?

Sandi: Truth be known my life was way more grand before all of this started and I'm pretty confident I am the more formally educated person in this whole company.

Question 8: What sort of mechanics are in place if we run out of fuel and become adrift in space? Will there be beacons we can place, that might result in a rescue, or even attract a hostile response?

Sandi: Who doesn't 'silence doubters'? - - I am a qualified teacher, I can't have rowdy teenagers in the class constantly disrupting the class, nothing gets done nor moves forward.

Question 9: This is a Squadron 42 question: How flexible is the story? Are there different paths or endings that might occur due to my choices, like many Bioware games, or is it a set storyline?

Sandi: I am one of the best saleswomen in the world without a shadow of a doubt and always have been since I was a very small girl and I know a great product when I see it.

Question 10: Will there ever be a choice in the future to play as the Vanduul? I think it would be very interesting to play through the game from that point of view, and it could make player encounters even more interesting.

Sandi: What I have seen this year is a vocal minority of people who get butt-hurt that they are not a special snowflake anymore and butt hurt their opinion isn't well received so they shout louder or find someone who agrees with them to validate their opinon.

Well that wraps up this episode of "10 For the Chairwoman", I hope everyone found this enlightening! We'll see you ... in the 'Verse!

Lmao

• Locked thread