Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Binge on is short for : "we've forcefully lowered quality on everything you do, enjoy!".

It's not an actual benefit to you at any time unlimited or otherwise, so it is beneficial to turn it off. Phones and devices can already choose their quality without Tmobile making the choice for you under the false pretense of "more data!". It does bring in a ton of politics and weird media coverage for tmo and a direct benefit to them - none of which is being passed on to you.

Think of this like the flip side of how a data cap works: instead of harassing all the heavy users (top 5%) via overages, they're basically defaulting everyone to be the lightest users (lowest 5%) and letting you choose to opt out at will. Still zero consumer benefit and 100% carrier benefit.

You know that the entire point of Binge On is so that video doesn't count toward your data limit, right? Plenty of people stream shows to their phones, and this lets them do it without hitting their LTE cap or having to buy a more expensive plan. How is that zero consumer benefit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yeah, I used to have a 1GB data plan and would try to stay under it. This past December I used 6GB under my 3GB plan. The benefit to me is that I'm doing a lot more stuff on my phone that I couldn't do before.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
The two largest data usages, music and video, essentially being free to use seems like a pretty big consumer benefit to me.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Yeah honestly the issue is so overblown anymore the rants and ravings from folks are getting old. Don't like it? Turn it off. Yes, opt in would have been *better* for some but others can't manage to do much of anything on their own ... so you have this.

Otherwise, it lowers quality to 480p and you stream as much as you want on the services that have been identified. 480p on these small screens means diddly to me, just happy my wife can stream netflix all she wants now.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
I'm on the $50 unlimited text/talk with 3 gigs of data plan, comes out to ~$97 a month with Grandfather'd original JUMP! and my G4. I also was given a promotional 2 years of unlimited data for some reason (probably due to not using a lot of data monthly).

Was in the store and the rep was saying that the new Jump on Demand was better than my Granfathered Jump 1. I've done some research into it, and a lot of people seem to be pissed that you never own the phone.

Isn't Jump on Demand the same thing as Jump 1? Just has tax spread out throughout the payments and the ability to jump 3 times in 1 year? Am I wrong on the following:

JUMP 1 - $10 (changing to $12 a month in March. Kind of bullshit if you ask me, considering when I got it I was told "this is only $10" not "We may re-evaluate the CONTRACT you signed later and change the price"). a month, includes insurance

Jump 2 times in 1 year. Pay tax up front. 24 payments for EIP. Can Jump to a lovely phone at any time, pay it off and be "out of the contract"

JUMP on Demand - No monthly cost. No insurance.

Jump 3 times in 1 year, pay tax on the monthly payments, 18 payments for EIP. Can only Jump to specific phones, mostly flagships.

I'm trying to determine if it's better to stay on JUMP 1 or go to JoD. If I went to JoD I'd likely not get insurance, as I don't do iPhones and it appears that screen replacements for Samsungs/HTC/LG are ~ $40-50, if that's what happens to it. I've never broken/dropped in water/gotten a phone stolen in 15 years of owning a cell phone, so I think I might be ok.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

To Vex a Stranger posted:

JUMP 1 - $10 (changing to $12 a month in March. Kind of bullshit if you ask me, considering when I got it I was told "this is only $10" not "We may re-evaluate the CONTRACT you signed later and change the price").

So, I am kind of genuinely upset by this. Considering I pay more per month on my Galaxy S6 than someone who signs up now for JOD. Is there any benefit for being on the old Jump compared to JOD (other than insurance included)?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Long Francesco posted:

The two largest data usages, music and video, essentially being free to use seems like a pretty big consumer benefit to me.

Yup. You can look at it as a different form of every carrier's "unlimited*" where instead of having an arbitrary cap set on you by the carrier (i.e. 23GB) you choose your plan based on the cap you want. With the added bonus of there's not really much way you can argue that this "unlimited" should also include your torrented linux ISOs on your tethered home network.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Otherwise, it lowers quality to 480p and you stream as much as you want on the services that have been identified. 480p on these small screens means diddly to me, just happy my wife can stream netflix all she wants now.

According to the EFF, Binge On is just a bandwidth throttle for any and all video (plus not counting approved services against your data cap).

I'm still figuring out how much this bothers me, if at all. But it doesn't seem Net Neutral.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doesn't bother me at all since you can turn it off.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

bartkusa posted:

According to the EFF, Binge On is just a bandwidth throttle for any and all video (plus not counting approved services against your data cap).

I'm still figuring out how much this bothers me, if at all. But it doesn't seem Net Neutral.

Yeah saw that article as well. Folks over at Reddit are obviously going nuts because this is obviously the same as ISIS murdering their entire family.

As far as net neutrality is concerned, I can't see it being an issue because there is a broad sweeping throttle of all video services and any service can "benefit" from it and become a partner. Also, users being able to disable binge on (and simply at that) is also another thing against the idea. It doesn't bother me one bit, in fact I rarely ever want HD content from YT or Netflix on my phone because I won't notice the improved quality, but sure will notice it chewing up my data.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

This is the key. You pay for n GB and you get n GB of service-agnostic data.

If he price for n GB was wildly higher than the other carriers then people complaining might be a little more reasonable as there could be an argument that the neutral data had a price penalty.

But it's not.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Does anyone know if music streamed via Android Auto using Spotify counts towards your data cap? I got a new car recently with it and my data usage has soared to the point that I hit my cap for the first time.

In my old car I streamed just as much using Spotify, but just using Spotify directly rather than Android Auto.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, but most customers are tech illiterate and won't ever know how to do that.

Not saying you don't have a point, but that's the flip side.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Does anyone know if music streamed via Android Auto using Spotify counts towards your data cap? I got a new car recently with it and my data usage has soared to the point that I hit my cap for the first time.

In my old car I streamed just as much using Spotify, but just using Spotify directly rather than Android Auto.

I was in the store the other day and they said that Spotify and Pandora are non-data users. They said that Amazon Music currently uses data, as does Google Music.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah saw that article as well. Folks over at Reddit are obviously going nuts because this is obviously the same as ISIS murdering their entire family.

I think the argument the EFF is using is basically a slippery slope one. Once customers get used to certain services being delivered on a "zero tier", it's easy for people to accept the idea of other services being delivered on a "premium tier" which is pretty much the worst case scenario.

While I agree with that, I also think T-Mobile is simply doing this as a value-added service to compete with the Big Two, which is great for consumers. It should be illegal, but the EFF needs to have that fight with the FCC and FTC, not T-Mobile.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Is binge on enabled or disabled for me? I went to add/change services, and it has the option to add "binge on disabled". So that would mean that it is currently enabled?

d[-.-]b fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 6, 2016

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

To Vex a Stranger posted:

I was in the store the other day and they said that Spotify and Pandora are non-data users. They said that Amazon Music currently uses data, as does Google Music.

Google Music doesn't use data. There's a list here: http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/music-freedom-list.html

Note: ads on some of these services do count against data.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="454603160"]
Is binge on enabled or disabled for me? I went to add/change services, and it has the option to add "binge on disabled". So that would mean that it is currently enabled?

Correct you have it enabled. If you add back Bingeon disabled it will turn it off.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Burden posted:

Correct you have it enabled. If you add back Bingeon disabled it will turn it off.

Cool, thanks.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Burden posted:

This turned out to be really confusing.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

Yeah it's way more complicated then it needs to be.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hiddenriverninja posted:

Isn't that exactly what T-Mobile wants?

The fact that Binge On is enabled by default is no mistake. Throttling the most popular video services to 1.5mbit by default is a quick and easy way to increase the available bandwidth.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

John starting poo poo with the EFF.

https://twitter.com/johnlegere/status/685201130427531264

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oh christ. I just switched over and now I find out the CEO is a moron :(

incidentally, this is the best thing: https://twitter.com/mattl/status/685224731667087360/photo/1

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
This just in, T-Mobile CEO does generic hip edgy thing.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The best part about this link is some guy attaching his real name to his twitter handle "Sonikku_a"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

PRADA SLUT posted:

This just in, T-Mobile CEO does generic hip edgy thing.

How do you do, fellow kids?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Dude could literally get out from under all this by saying "we made it opt out because most people will either like it or not notice, and it de-congests the network so everyone gets more speed."

That second part is what he's running in circles trying not to say, which makes me think this has nothing to do with congestion at all and is a setup for a cynical cash grab down the line.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
How's T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling on branded Android handsets? My office is basically in a bunker which has been really horrible for communicating with my family (who watch my child most days) while I'm there. I've been thinking about buying a LG G4 or Sony Z3 just to get Wi-Fi calling/texting, but my only experience with it was on a Windows Mobile phone I used briefly and it was unusable. Any thoughts?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Works great on my Nexus 6 and (yes it's not Android) my wife's iPhone 6S. Honestly goes a really long way to covering the gaps TMo has.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.
Just left tmo for Google fi, it was the least painful leaving of a carrier I have ever done... The guy on the phone was extremely nice, didn't push anything on me, had a sense of humor, I'm actually getting paid by tmo for leaving because I was paid up on my bill.

If I end up using too much data on Google fi, I'll probably go back, bar none best customer service of any cell provider.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BeastOfExmoor posted:

How's T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling on branded Android handsets? My office is basically in a bunker which has been really horrible for communicating with my family (who watch my child most days) while I'm there. I've been thinking about buying a LG G4 or Sony Z3 just to get Wi-Fi calling/texting, but my only experience with it was on a Windows Mobile phone I used briefly and it was unusable. Any thoughts?

Some networks block the ports necessary for wifi calling to work. I would find out what those ports are and maybe contact your IT department and explain the situation and have them tell you if those ports are blocked or not.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My phone hasn't been able to send or receive MMS for at least a week now (Android 6, Moto X 2014, Google Messenger app, T-Mobile Nerd Plan). How to can I check if it's T-Mobile or my phone?

I get a message saying "New MMS message to download. Touch to download." Tapping on it it says "downloading", but never comes through. When sending, it tries to send, retries a few times, and fails. Super annoying in that I can't send regular SMS while it's doing this.

EDIT: just tried using Hangouts to send and it's going the same thing, so I don't think it's the app, at least.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 21, 2016

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Uthor posted:

My phone hasn't been able to send or receive MMS for at least a week now (Android 6, Moto X 2014, Google Messenger app, T-Mobile Nerd Plan). How to can I check if it's T-Mobile or my phone?

I get a message saying "New MMS message to download. Touch to download." Tapping on it it says "downloading", but never comes through. When sending, it tries to send, retries a few times, and fails. Super annoying in that I can't send regular SMS while it's doing this.

EDIT: just tried using Hangouts to send and it's going the same thing, so I don't think it's the app, at least.

On T-Mobile and having the same problem with receiving. Took a couple DAYS to finally get the message.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
We have two phones on T-Mobile prepaid plans, each on a $40 for 1gb 4G data plan.

I wanted to switch to the family plan where the first line is $50 for 2gb 4G data, and the second line is $30 for 2gb also , but I couldn't get any straight answers from the online chat or phone reps and was just getting the runaround and endless transfer loop.

Is this even possible, while keeping the same SIMs and numbers? Is the family plan prepaid or postpaid?

edit: I was also considering is switching to MetroPCS for their family plan where each line has 1gb of data for $25/month per line. But the store wanted to charge $25 for new SIM cards, which seems ridiculous. Any thoughts on MetroPCS?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Woodsy Owl posted:

We have two phones on T-Mobile prepaid plans, each on a $40 for 1gb 4G data plan.

I wanted to switch to the family plan where the first line is $50 for 2gb 4G data, and the second line is $30 for 2gb also , but I couldn't get any straight answers from the online chat or phone reps and was just getting the runaround and endless transfer loop.

Is this even possible, while keeping the same SIMs and numbers? Is the family plan prepaid or postpaid?

edit: I was also considering is switching to MetroPCS for their family plan where each line has 1gb of data for $25/month per line. But the store wanted to charge $25 for new SIM cards, which seems ridiculous. Any thoughts on MetroPCS?

If you use Twitter hit up their tmobileusa account. They are super helpful.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

topenga posted:

On T-Mobile and having the same problem with receiving. Took a couple DAYS to finally get the message.

Also on t-mo. Moto g. Haven't been able to send/receive MMS for weeks at least :(

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Woodsy Owl posted:

You can keep the same numbers but you will need new sims. You won't have to pay for sims if you go to a store. The store will be able to switch you pretty much instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Uthor posted:

Try resetting your APN. If that doesn't work call tech support.