Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Eifert Posting posted:

nthing Shure. I've had one of their models of in ears for at least 7 or so years, I think more. They sound amazing, the new cases are so comfortable you can sleep in them and the isolation is so good I'm honestly amazed I never got hit by traffic the three years I spent with a pair in in Asia.

You've had Shure IEMs that worked for 7 years? I haven't owned a pair that lasted more than 15 months and I've replaced alot of them: SE310, SE420, SE215 and SE425 x2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Are the Monoprice hifi headphones good? The reviews seem great, the mic sounds nice, and they have a breakaway. I'm just nervous they'll break on me like the 8323s have.

The bass is apparently kind of weak too, and I don't know how much of that I could fix in software.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx

Doctor Goat posted:

Are the Monoprice hifi headphones good? The reviews seem great, the mic sounds nice, and they have a breakaway. I'm just nervous they'll break on me like the 8323s have.

The bass is apparently kind of weak too, and I don't know how much of that I could fix in software.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Acoustic-Detachable-Durable-Headphones/dp/B007SP2CO2

Do you mean these? I've never actually heard of those. Quite interested if they are any good, as I need cheap headphones that I can throw around at work.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Astaldo posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Acoustic-Detachable-Durable-Headphones/dp/B007SP2CO2

Do you mean these? I've never actually heard of those. Quite interested if they are any good, as I need cheap headphones that I can throw around at work.

Those are 8323s. They're fairly great if you don't put much stress on the swivel bits.

I meant these: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Aco...Monoprice+hi-fi (they're cheaper at Monoprice)

though now I'm curious about these: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Pre...ZF4DN3KEZF56CCF

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keep in mind that Monoprice's entire business model is based on copying other company's products and cheaping out on materials where they can, so I honestly can't imagine anything that will undergo any sort of stress will last particularly long.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Keep in mind that Monoprice's entire business model is based on copying other company's products and cheaping out on materials where they can, so I honestly can't imagine anything that will undergo any sort of stress will last particularly long.
Except for cables. Monoprice cables are tanks.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Endless Mike posted:

Do I really have that many other options? My only other idea right now is to get a pair of sennheiser 280 pros and sell the blue yeti mic that comes with them on Amazon right now to recoup some of the cost

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Doctor Goat posted:

Do I really have that many other options? My only other idea right now is to get a pair of sennheiser 280 pros and sell the blue yeti mic that comes with them on Amazon right now to recoup some of the cost

If you can push your budget $5 - http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/

If you can't - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LOJCY6/

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

WanderingKid posted:

You've had Shure IEMs that worked for 7 years? I haven't owned a pair that lasted more than 15 months and I've replaced alot of them: SE310, SE420, SE215 and SE425 x2.

I had Shure E500s that lasted maybe a decade? I think one of the channels finally started cutting out. Those little guys did hundreds of thousands of miles of travel with me.

I think there is an older pair of 210s that are on their third owner and still going strong.

I love love love the Shure black olive tips. If I didn't have custom IEMs I would still be using those tips.

Anyone here have the new Shure electrostatic in ears? Those look verry interesting indeed.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Well I'll be. I use IEMs for mixing on an almost daily basis so I put them in and take them out alot. A year+ of doing that invariably results in the plastic half shells prying apart so the micro coax socket starts wiggling around. If you let it do that for a a few days to a couple of weeks, the armatures just cut out. I even tried gluing an SE425 back together but the bic biro plastic shells crumbled and frayed around the edge and I had to remove the silicone glue gunk and file down the edges but the armature/coax socket moved a little too much and it died in the process.

I've killed 2x SE425 and 1x SE215 due to the shells coming apart and the coax socket moving. I killed the SE420 by snapping off the tube trying to change tips (the rubber sheath also came off earlier). The SE310 had both rubber bits detache from the plastic shell exposing the brittle cable where it goes into the earpiece. The left one died.

Maybe I have clown hands or something.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Hey all, thinking of getting some new headphones and I'm in need of some advice.

Budget - Around $200.
Source - PC, PS4
Isolation Requirements - Yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - More emphasis on clarity.
Past Headphones - I've been rocking the PS3 Wireless Headset for a few years now and it has done the job but I'd like an upgrade.
Preferred Music - Mostly metal, rock.

I'm looking at headphones primarily for gaming (CS:GO) with a side of music and movies. I know closed headphones aren't the ideal but I need the isolation. Potential candidates that I've looked at are the V-MODA Crossfade M-100, the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus and then Audio-Technica ATH-M50x but I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Beyerdynamic DT 235, or MMX 2 if you want a headset, they're identical apart from the mic. Usually on sale for $50 or less on Amazon etc., sometimes as low as $30.

I've been using a pair of DT 231s (the original olive drab pro version) for over a decade (probably close to 15 years, actually). The only thing I've done is replace the earpads, which are cheap and plentiful on Ebay. The cord has stood up to all the abuse I could throw at it, including being repeatedly run over by my office chair and being snagged on various objects hard enough to rip the headphones off my head. Hardly even a mark on it. The elastic headband isn't quite as elastic as it used to be, but it still works fine.

And the sound is miles ahead of anything else I've heard in that price bracket, or even for 2 or 3 times as much.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 29, 2015

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Josh Lyman posted:

If you buy the "good ones". I have a Monoprice micro USB cable I use with my PS4 that is loving awful, but reaches my couch, so I still use it. It literally falls out of anything you plug it into given the chance. So you straight up cannot play plugged in. Also its really loving cheap feeling in general.

I do like their cables that are the step above bottom barrel though.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
what

the hell

are these

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

what

the hell

are these

The truly amazing thing is that your head-fi post is the only relevant Google search result.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Taima posted:

Also you should really consider getting the Amazon Warehouse 598s for around $105-$115 rather than spend 100 bucks on the HD558 new.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...50913106&sr=8-1

I really love the 598s and own a pair myself.

I did exactly this because they're down below $100. They showed up today and holy poo poo do they ever sound nice. I can't wait to start boring people to death with stupid meaningless opinions on lossless formats.

I had some trepidation about ordering something that was ostensibly used from Warehouse but even though they're marked as "good" quality I have absolutely no reason to believe these aren't brand new. Spotless and pristine. They don't even have the very minor superficial damage described in the product listing. Fifty bucks saved without any real downside.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Ultimate Mango posted:

The truly amazing thing is that your head-fi post is the only relevant Google search result.

Mystery solved thanks to Audiokarma: they're a pair of rebranded Elega DR-232CH phones.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Seems like outlets are getting rid of Turtle Beach Ear Force i30s for cheap. Any opinions on them in general gaming, some music, movies use?

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

And the sound is miles ahead of anything else I've heard in that price bracket, or even for 2 or 3 times as much.

Let's not get carried away here. I'd definitely take the Creative Aurvana Live or Superlux HD668B over the Beyerdynamic DT235 any day of the week when it comes to sound quality and home use comfort.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, I wouldn't :)

Then again, I am a raging Beyerdynamic fanboy, 15 years of hard use without them skipping a beat convinced me of that. Anything else in the same price and sound quality range would have crumbled to dust, and the Aurvanas in particular are flimsy as hell.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 31, 2015

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
If your criteria is robustness then certainly the DT235 are very good (compared to the Creatives anyway) but I don't really see it being significantly better than the low priced options being provided by Chinese manufacturers.

The problem I have with modern Beyerdynamic is that their quality control, as far as driver consistency and matching, is probably the worst in the industry so you actually have no idea what you're going to get half the time. I went through like three pairs of DT1350s in order to get one that either didn't have a mid-bass or midrange/lower treble void. Like poo poo was both audible and measurable on my measuring plate that I used to use for Fostex mods.

The only ones that haven't seemed to suffer from this are the classic DT770/DT880/DT990.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 31, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I guess I've just been lucky with my four pairs of Beyers.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Budget - Up to about US$400, willing to buy used.
Source - iPhone 6 with a FiiO E6.
Isolation Requirements - Gotta be closed, I mostly use them on the train.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Looking for as much bass as possible, but not muddy, prefer a V-shaped sound in general.
Past Headphones - ATH-M50s, quite happy with the sound quality/clarity but just want some louder bass.
Preferred Music - Mostly rock, a little bit of folk, hip hop, spoken word.

Was looking at a used pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s, but then heard about the Audio Technica ATH-Pro700MK2s. If those are just similar to the M50s but more bass heavy they'd be perfect for me, and my wallet.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I guess I've just been lucky with my four pairs of Beyers.

I've actually had to send my DT990s in for cable replacement under warranty, but aside from that, no issues.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
What's up mofos.

I've not posted in here for a while and in truth my foray was short but the Sony MDR-XB90EX recommended to me two years ago are still going strong two years later despite daily use - thanks again Grack! Really happy with those.

I was planning on getting some headphones for a friend and was looking at stuff around the £50/60 mark - any recommendations I should check out? I'm currently looking at Soundmagic E50s (the mic would be useful for her) but wanted to know if any obvious brands I'm missing?

Any help appreciated, ta.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Monday_ posted:

Budget - Up to about US$400, willing to buy used.
Source - iPhone 6 with a FiiO E6.
Isolation Requirements - Gotta be closed, I mostly use them on the train.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Looking for as much bass as possible, but not muddy, prefer a V-shaped sound in general.
Past Headphones - ATH-M50s, quite happy with the sound quality/clarity but just want some louder bass.
Preferred Music - Mostly rock, a little bit of folk, hip hop, spoken word.

Was looking at a used pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s, but then heard about the Audio Technica ATH-Pro700MK2s. If those are just similar to the M50s but more bass heavy they'd be perfect for me, and my wallet.

Find a pair of the Massdrop Fostex X00 that someone got and doesn't like. Should be exactly what you are looking for.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Looking for some decent bluetooth headphones for days, but there is just so many terrible ones out there. My Sony DR-BTN200M ones are great, mainly for the 40ish hours of playback time. I really do need at least about 20ish hours at least of battery.

I've actually managed to use the 40ish hour of the Sony ones before a deadline once, not a great experience, but the headphones were brilliant.

Unfortunately, these on-ear headphones have gotten super loose, and actually managed to break my glasses because they pulled them off with them under a gentle jog. I definitely need something where I can maintain a wide range of movement, like running and cycling, and have some comfort.

I liked my LG horse-shoe designed ones before, but one of the ears went, and apparently this is a major problem in all of their headphones because they use a crappy thin cable. So I need something durable, with the same quality as my BTN200's, but that I can jump about and look up or down without them getting pulled off. Most of the headphones I've looked at that have a decent design only have 5-8 hours battery life, which totally sucks for me, listening to podcasts all day.

Budget - Up to about £80GBP/$100USD ish, would heavily prefer closer to £40-60
Source - Android Note 4 and my PC.
Isolation Requirements - As much as possible would be nice, but it's not an ultra dealbreaker. I'd really prefer it if people close to me couldn't eavesdrop on what I'm listening to.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Anything that won't get me killed while cycling and won't fly off if I'm doing push ups or laying down or anything.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral I guess,
Past Headphones - lg hbs700, Sony BTN 200M
Preferred Music - Jazz, Ska, Electronic, Swing, but probably most important is clear dialogue

Anything that has noise or buzzing in the background or intermittently will drive me crazy.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 3, 2016

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

Find a pair of the Massdrop Fostex X00 that someone got and doesn't like. Should be exactly what you are looking for.

Supporting this recommendation. I bought one to use as a gift for Christmas and it has a very flexible sound signature, despite its solid bass emphasis, as it doesn't have significant treble spikes or midrange dips.

And yeah, don't get the Ultrasone Pro 900. You aren't heard low quality bass that drowns everything else out until you've listened to the Ultrasone Pro 900.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001
I bought a pair of beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus which I think are similar to the 770's? I wanted to use them with my home theater and laptop. The amazon warehouse set I got didn't have a single accessory in the box so I couldn't even test them with my onkyo receiver. Connected to my laptop they were "meh", pretty low volume.

Any suggestions?I thought they world be okay without an amp but maybe that doesn't exist...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

They look well-built on the surface but I would never use Monoprice instrument cables again. Incredibly microphonic to the point of being almost useless either on-stage or in the studio.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Hi thread. I'd like a recommend on some noise isolating buds.

Budget - Less than $200.
Source - iPhone6, Macbook air, Ipad Air. Probably prefer non-amped.
Isolation Requirements - Really important. Mostly will be using these for commute by train.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. Want portability and isolation for my commute.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced.
Past Headphones - Sein 558s. Love them but a little bit quiet unamped depending on the source.
Preferred Music - Classic rock.

I haven't paid attention to IEMs for a long time so I'd like a few pointers to start my research. Would I get any benefit from noise cancellation on the subway/train? Thanks so much.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there any reason to get an amp or soundcard for a pair of Sennheiser HD 600? Got some money to spare, and can't think of any hardware to spoil myself with, but I don't want to burn money either.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ufarn posted:

Is there any reason to get an amp or soundcard for a pair of Sennheiser HD 600? Got some money to spare, and can't think of any hardware to spoil myself with, but I don't want to burn money either.

You're going to need an amp for the HD600 as they're 300ohm cans and very few motherboards have audio solutions that can handle that.

Gameko posted:

Hi thread. I'd like a recommend on some noise isolating buds.

Budget - Less than $200.
Source - iPhone6, Macbook air, Ipad Air. Probably prefer non-amped.
Isolation Requirements - Really important. Mostly will be using these for commute by train.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. Want portability and isolation for my commute.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced.
Past Headphones - Sein 558s. Love them but a little bit quiet unamped depending on the source.
Preferred Music - Classic rock.

I haven't paid attention to IEMs for a long time so I'd like a few pointers to start my research. Would I get any benefit from noise cancellation on the subway/train? Thanks so much.

If isolation is super important and you wanted balanced IEMs the Etymotic HF5 and E4S are probably your best bet. You could also look at something that uses a TWFK dual-armature driver like a Brainwavz B2, Ultimate Ears 700 or FIscher Audio DBA-02 (though I think most TWFK headphones have been discontinued) or an Ortofon EQ-5 with aftermarket foam tips. If you want a dynamic driver the Hi-FiMan RE-400 are excellent, cheaper than most of the others listed and still have pretty good isolation.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Insanely Sikh posted:

What's up mofos.

I've not posted in here for a while and in truth my foray was short but the Sony MDR-XB90EX recommended to me two years ago are still going strong two years later despite daily use - thanks again Grack! Really happy with those.

I was planning on getting some headphones for a friend and was looking at stuff around the £50/60 mark - any recommendations I should check out? I'm currently looking at Soundmagic E50s (the mic would be useful for her) but wanted to know if any obvious brands I'm missing?

Any help appreciated, ta.

*coughing noise* hello

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

ufarn posted:

You absolutely need an amp of some kind, and furthermore, if you want to get an excellent headphone like the HD600 you should treat them right with a proper setup. Just get a Schiit Modi 2 and a Magni 2 stack, and run it from your computer via optical.

If you don't want to do all of that, just get the HD 598 and call it a day.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Paging KozmoNaut and Tactical Lesbian (and other helmet-wearers):

I need a new set of IEMs that are super low profile and really noise-isolating for under my motorcycle helmet. My helmet is pretty snug and my ears stick out a little I guess, because all the ones I've used so far end up causing a good bit of fatigue after an hour or two. Do you think the Etymotic ETY-Kids would fit the bill? Since sound quality isn't priority, I've tried Skull Candy Budz, some cheap Phillips, and some iFrogs (which are surprisingly good all around) from Walmart. They all are both wide enough and high-profile enough that my helmet jams them into my ears and they get painful. And sometimes they conduct wind noise directly into my brain which is terrible.

I've also considered buying one of those mold-your-own earplug kits and modifying one of my older pairs into them, but if there's a good solution I'd prefer to put funds toward that instead.

Budget is about $40.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Taima posted:

You absolutely need an amp of some kind, and furthermore, if you want to get an excellent headphone like the HD600 you should treat them right with a proper setup. Just get a Schiit Modi 2 and a Magni 2 stack, and run it from your computer via optical.

If you don't want to do all of that, just get the HD 598 and call it a day.
I'd be down with that, but what's the setup like exactly?

Computer ->- (Optical) ->- DAC -> AMP -> Headphones?

My motherboard doesn't have an optical port, so I hope it's by different means.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I need a new set of IEMs that are super low profile and really noise-isolating for under my motorcycle helmet. My helmet is pretty snug and my ears stick out a little I guess, because all the ones I've used so far end up causing a good bit of fatigue after an hour or two.
Budget is about $40.

I use Meelectronics Sport-Fi M6 to sleep with, they are practically zero profile and come with a ton of tips. I sleep on my side and they're the only IEMs I've tried that I don't notice against the pillow. They don't sound great, but the build quality is very good for the $10.50 they cost.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

ufarn posted:

I'd be down with that, but what's the setup like exactly?

Computer ->- (Optical) ->- DAC -> AMP -> Headphones?

My motherboard doesn't have an optical port, so I hope it's by different means.

It uses USB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Looking for a good 150-200 dollar set of gaming headphones- not a headset, already have a good mic. Well, unless that's the only choice. Would love surround sound but I don't know if that's just a gimmick or not with headphones.
Big, comfy, over ear would be great. No wacky USB surround dongles is my only thing to avoid.

E: will format this properly when I have a proper keyboard in front of me, it also appears some good recommendations are on this page.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 7, 2016