Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Thump! posted:

I'll pose the question again since it was looked over but now we're talking about affordability, where's the best place online to get tins of quality dine's at affordable prices?

I'd also like to know if anyone in Canada buys them online, and where, because the KOs on Amazon are outrageously priced when you factor in the shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Sizone posted:

This is bullshit. There are a lot of other fish in the sea besides KO. There's also nothing wrong with slumming it and having a can of Beachcliff in hot sauce or Family or Ligo.

More to the point, a good dad is a frugal dad. While they aren't going to be getting bumblebee in water, they're certainly not going to be paying 4$ a can for tiny tots, they could get a comparably sized hunk of fresh tuna for that price, hell, that would be like buying soda at a fast food place.

how are the ligos? i have some i havent opened yet. its a can the size and shape of a tomato paste can. I imagine they are arranged vertically inside the can

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Haverchuck posted:

how are the ligos? i have some i havent opened yet. its a can the size and shape of a tomato paste can. I imagine they are arranged vertically inside the can

The best way to answer that question is to open the can and try them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like ligos pretty well.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

things to buy today:

-rye bread
-some kind of mustard (i havnt decided yet)
-red onion
-mayo
-pickled herring

welcome to scando smorbrod flavor town

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

numberoneposter posted:

things to buy today:

-rye bread
-some kind of mustard (i havnt decided yet)
-red onion
-mayo
-pickled herring

welcome to scando smorbrod flavor town

always use dijon

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

doctorfrog posted:

Sardine article.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/comfort-food-sardines.html

Goon trigger warning: the above article is written by a woman and doesn't appear to cloud itself with masculine declarations.

At the end she talks about sustainability. How sustainable are KOs, or do I need to switch to Wild Planet or Bar Harbor?

I dont want sardines to get fished out

gently caress im a hippie, an oily one at that. Had Reese sardines today. Not bad, but the can wasn't full. 3/5, had them with Valentina

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

AEMINAL posted:

always use dijon

chinese mustard is pretty pro for dines too

Biff Turkle
Apr 22, 2008

pls forgive me werewaif I am unworthy
king oscar saved my soul...

Biff Turkle fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 13, 2016

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
My town got a Lucky's Market recently and browsing through there just last night I saw a few flavors of the Bela brand that a lot of you seem to like. I bought and used some of the tomato sauce ones and holy poo poo these are great. KO isn't bad, but its owned by Bumble Bee so I question their provenance. The Belas are bigger, fuller, and seemingly firmer while still being very tender. The flavor is rich while still being fresh-tasting. These are the best Sardines I've ever eaten!

I have noticed I can buy 12-packs of these off Amazon for much cheaper and that's what I'll probably do. But it's nice to know they are within arm's reach if I have a Sardine emergency.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

Overwined posted:

My town got a Lucky's Market recently and browsing through there just last night I saw a few flavors of the Bela brand that a lot of you seem to like.

Lucky's is the poo poo. We got one in Billings about 2 years ago, and it's my go-to spot for dines. I also buy Bela there, but I dislike the cayenne pepper flavor a lot. It just tastes bad.

In spite of the naysayers, I think wild planet at just as good as KO.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Capoeira Capybara posted:

Lucky's is the poo poo. We got one in Billings about 2 years ago, and it's my go-to spot for dines. I also buy Bela there, but I dislike the cayenne pepper flavor a lot. It just tastes bad.

In spite of the naysayers, I think wild planet at just as good as KO.

Oh man, when I used to visit my boyfriend in Billings, we would go to Lucky's all the time. Me for the Bela 'dines and him for the bacon burgers. Great place.

Unrelated, I had to venture into a Walmart the other day and was stunned to find they had some fancy canned fish not available at my normal grocery store (Shoprite). Picked up 2 good looking cans. The salmon better be God-tier at $5.88.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone else encountered Haddon house? My local grocery store doesn't have KO and target's spot on the shelf has been empty for weeks. I might make hh my regular snackin dine because I have easy access to them. Bigger dines but still good flavor.

From the 'dine article:

quote:

a snack best demolished standing up, using only hands and teeth.

E: smoked salmon is usually god tier. My grandmother always buys me a $10 can of s.s. for Christmas.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Male Tears posted:

Oh man, when I used to visit my boyfriend in Billings, we would go to Lucky's all the time. Me for the Bela 'dines and him for the bacon burgers. Great place.

Unrelated, I had to venture into a Walmart the other day and was stunned to find they had some fancy canned fish not available at my normal grocery store (Shoprite). Picked up 2 good looking cans. The salmon better be God-tier at $5.88.

I've been picking up a few tins of KO at Walmart the past few weeks, they're like 3 bucks a pop I think so not terrible but I'm hoping I can find a better price. Walmart has a surprisingly good selection of tinned fishes.

edit: And Wild Planet too, which I just tried out today. I think I might like them better than KO, actually.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Planet X posted:

At the end she talks about sustainability. How sustainable are KOs, or do I need to switch to Wild Planet or Bar Harbor?

gently caress im a hippie, an oily one at that. Had Reese sardines today. Not bad, but the can wasn't full. 3/5, had them with Valentina

Yeah it's not just that either, but the impact on other sea life that sardine fishing has. My go-tos tend to be from the Mediterranean and near Spain (packed in Portugal or Morocco), which don't look good.

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/sardine?q=sardine

For KO's word on the matter: http://www.kingoscar.com/our-fish/sardines.html

which states that:

quote:

For our gourmet brisling sardines, we use remarkably tiny and tender brisling, responsibly wild-caught from Norway’s pristine fjords and icy coastal waters. The fish are lightly smoked in real oak-wood ovens for superior taste and texture, then packed by hand into recyclable aluminum cans to assure you the very best quality. In the USA, King Oscar is the exclusive purveyor of Norwegian brisling sardines.

For our delicious skinless & boneless sardines, we use small pilchard fished off of Morocco. And in our comprehensive global line, we also offer delicious and convenient sardines made from sild and other small fish netted in the Baltic Sea. These are generally available in Eastern Europe and South Africa.

The above areas aren't mentioned by Seafood Watch at all, but at first glance it sure seems like KO's the way to go, and not just because they're tasty.

Note also that going with skin and bones nets you a better fish. Always, always eat the dang bones.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Montana deen knowledge ITT

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cracked open my last rack last night, time to reup my subscription. Maybe I should get one of cracked pepper instead? Eh.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
With any luck, those mega hippies will pressure an earlier opening of West coast canneries.

North American 'dines would be great for us and Canada goons.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

so when will someone make and buy a 'dine emoticon??? we need it real bad, IMO

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

AEMINAL posted:

so when will someone make and buy a 'dine emoticon??? we need it real bad, IMO

:coolfish:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

NmareBfly posted:

Cracked open my last rack last night, time to reup my subscription. Maybe I should get one of cracked pepper instead? Eh.

:captainpop:

I like the regular ones. That way you can put fresh cracked pepper on em using whatever grind you like

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Mashing dines up before arranging their globbed up remains on crackers is the most brutal way to eat dines

you can see the spines and bones and man it's a bloodbath

ate everything :coolfish:

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

<( I LOVE SARDINES! )

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Are the Bela ones in lemon any good?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Insane Totoro posted:

Yes!

There is a lemon flavor but it's not strong.

My Bela preference:

Tomato>Olive oil>Lemon>Pepper

Got all the ingredients for fishermans eggs and am finally going to try it tonight. Fried potatoes on the side

Oven is busted so I'm going to have to make it work in a convection oven (400 degrees will have to do)

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Sheep-Goats posted:

I wonder if they eat the bone
bones, they eat the dang bones

Sheep-Goats posted:

When I want to buy Chinese foodstuffs I will go through the poo poo on the shelf until I can at least find something made in Taiwan. Would never eat a Chinese food product if there was another option. The reason is I lived in China for a while. can read.

Fixed for me.

Thump! posted:

I'll pose the question again since it was looked over but now we're talking about affordability, where's the best place online to get tins of quality dine's at affordable prices?

I got four-packs of KOs at Costco last year for a tiny bit under $2/tin. Shop sales, or find other quality products. I try everything but so far the king is the king. Those russian ones are comparable but even more expensive than KO. Right now I'm working on trying all the never-heard-of foreign brands at the local asianmart.

Sup dads, it's my birthday toda...well was until 11 min ago. Didn't eat sardines but I can still smell the fish sauce from my pho lunch.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 7, 2016

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I dream of 'deenie

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Gonna buy a case of the lemon Belas

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
pls enjoy this dadcover of dadsong while having mornin deens today

happy bday prok enjoy exploiting Asian Tastes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo3lxKrjABE

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I tried the double layered KO in Olive Oil last night and I thought they were not very good. Not much flavor aside from fishiness. KO Med is way better. I was also pleasantly surprised by a $1.09 of Beach Cliff in Louisiana Hot Sauce and I figured they were going to be terrible but nope, delicious.

I contemplated getting Bar Harbor brand whatever the flavor was but I tried that company's canned lobster bisque before and it was almost as terrible as the town of Bar Harbor, which I loath. I saw some praise for the brand a few pages back so next time I will give them a try.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Male Tears posted:

I like Cole's mackerel a lot, about as much as KO mackerel, but I haven't had the salmon (though it was available, and a couple bucks cheaper than yours). I'm not a huge fan of salmon compared to other fish, but I still might pick up a can because of how good the mackerel was.

e: ^^^ Beach Cliff is cut-rate quality. It's my cheap brand of choice.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Next up stay tuned! Sardine con Panna Cotta! A delight only for dads??

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Insane Totoro posted:

I just got these from World Market the other day. I was initially surprised to see only three very large dines in there, while I normally prefer a larger number of smaller dines. However, they were one of the tastiest dines I've ever had. Wife and mom in law agreed. Get those dines.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Came here to ask about the double-layered ones and saw someone wasn't very impressed. Also came to ask about Beach Cliff and saw someone posted about those recently too. Sardine thread delivers.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Planet X posted:

:jackbud: Valentina or bust.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Had some Angelo Parodis for dinner yesterday. Two huge beautiful sides of sardine. Very firm, pleasant flesh. Taste was fairly solid, too.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Fansy fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 12, 2020

Rad Wood
Dec 26, 2005
Segata Sanshiro!
'dine dads, I have a 'dine dining dilemma. I am about to try my first 'dine and the options are Wild Planet and Crown Prince (Brisling). Which should I choose to maximize my 'dine cherry-popping enjoyment? (Not a dad, but we'll see how long that lasts after this).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Like all nondad males choose CP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Tried the Beach Cliff in mustard and was unimpressed. I guess I shouldn't expect too much out of $0.98 'dines. KOs in olive oil tomorrow.