Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

because if i spend 10k on a tv i certainly don't have the means to improve on the 4.2 80 watt soundbar

why force this poo poo into a television, i'll never understand

b series is the most interesting to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Samsung's UHD blu-ray player will apparently retail for $399.

Luftwaffel
Dec 30, 2015
I purchased a Vizio M-series 4K tv last November (M49-C1) to replace a 40" Sony that I had bought off a friend years ago, a KDL40WL135. I finally received the Vizio not too long ago from Dell since they were backup up on fulfilling orders, but between reading more about HDR and such on future sets and realizing how good the WL135 series apparently is/was back when it was released (120Hz 10-bit panel, etc.), I'm wondering whether I'd see any noticeable quality increase on the Vizio. I watch Blu-Rays and play various consoles including older systems, but to be honest the Sony wasn't ever the best upscaling TV when it came to old consoles like my Dreamcast, etc.

I figure the Vizio won't necessarily be any better from an upscaling of low-resolution content, but since it'll mostly be for gaming, movie watching and football/hockey, I wanted to see what anyone on here thought who might be familiar with the old WL135s.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Something I thought of: do you have a DVI adapter for your Dreamcast? That will make a HUGE difference in quality

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Something I thought of: do you have a DVI adapter for your Dreamcast? That will make a HUGE difference in quality

You mean VGA?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As much as I love(d) the Dreamcast, it's display output is a sign of the times. I've got the RF, the SCART, and the VGA box. They're all poo poo and don't work like you really want them to. The SCART suffers from really bad shift on loads of TVs, the RF is RF, and the VGA box is incompatible with a ton of titles.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I think there is a boot disc that makes most titles work with the vga adapter.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Don Lapre posted:

You mean VGA?

I'm an idiot, yes I meant vga :) thanks

Edit: I have an unopened vga to HDMI for my Dreamcast that got destroyed in the flood and I never even got a chance to use it :(

What titles did you have that didn't work? I had an almost complete collection and can't remember anything not working...

(Sorry for the off topic post)

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 6, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't remember off hand the exact ones, but there is a list. I think it might affect PAL more than NTSC? I can't remember. The last time I put out a DC, I either put up with the VGA box and restricting the games, or just said "gently caress IT" and made people suffer with RF.

Despite the annoyance that HDCP provides people (I'm lucky in the fact it's never got in my way), HDMI is a glorious connector that only irritates if you try to put it in the wrong way around.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 6, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Analog game console output to a digital display is usually a poo poo show since the lag for the conversion is too much for many games.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://ces2016.lgnewsroom.com/news/lg-2016-products-unveiled-ces-available-sale-u-s-consumers-today/

Some pricing info, not complete yet.

Top of the line OLED E6 65" will be $6999.

The top of the line 4k LCD 65UH8500 is $2999.

So, it will be interesting to see where the C and B series OLED fit. I'm going to bet $4999 which isn't bad for MSRP. We'll just have to see.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I'm looking to get a 42-46" TV that excels at displaying text as I will be outputting from a PC and this TV will be displaying a web browser with mostly text, graphs, charts, etc. It's going to be for interfacing with a ticketing system to show live stats of various systems. Can anyone recommend a TV that will fit the bill for (hopefully) around $400?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

As long as it can do 1:1 pixels it should be fine. Just crank the sharpness all the way down. Grab whatever vizio fits your price and size.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What was the 65 OLED price announced last year? They get quite a drop before retail usually, yeah? Otherwise that doesn't really seem the drop that people were hoping for.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The 65" was 9999 I believe

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

What was the 65 OLED price announced last year? They get quite a drop before retail usually, yeah? Otherwise that doesn't really seem the drop that people were hoping for.

The 65EG9600 had an MSRP of $8999 in Feb and is $5999 now.

I don't expect these models to drop $3k this year like last year because at some rate things have to taper off.

However, we have more product levels now.

G6 Series (OLED65G6 & OLED77G6)
E6 Series (OLED65E6 & OLED55E6)
B6 Series (OLED65B6)
C6 Series (OLED65C6 & OLED55C6)

All are flat except for the C6 series. The G6 series is the top of the line and comes in 65" and 77". The other lines aren't quite as clear. Their performance all seems to be very very similar from a panel perspective, they seem to differ in the casing and I'm seeing conflicting things.

The only one of this group that we know the price for is the OLED65E6, that's up for preorder for $6999. That's $1k more than the outgoing model, but it's also $2k less than that same model when it was introduced. So, even if we see a drop half as good, that set could be $4499 by late summer.

If other models slot in below that model, that gives us room for something to break the $4k barrier before the end of the year. I would say it's also very possible that some of the 55" 4k OLED TVs could even break the $3k barrier before the end of the year.

LG is also going to continue to offer the 55EG9100 55" 1080p set for an MSRP of $1999. I can easily see that hitting $1500 by summer which makes it an incredibly compelling TV for certain applications.

I would like to get 65". I really don't NEED 65" (as much as anyone really NEEDs a 65" TV). My viewing distance is only about 9'. I actually may not even be able to get a 65" model depending on how they build the base of the TV since my entertainment stand is pretty much exactly as wide as my 55W900a. So, if those 55" 4k OLED TVs get to a compelling price before the end of the year, I may just forgo the extra 10" and drive in. Of course, we just got a different bonus structure at work which might pay out big in September, so if that happens I may just say :getin:.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 7, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I probably ruined my ancient Polaroid HDTV, turned on my 360, walked away, come back 4 hours later to horrendous burn in. The hdmi ports are wrecked anyway. Are the brands listed in the OP still the go-to brands? This is a 2nd tv for the backroom, 32".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for the infos, I'm going to read the poo poo out of all these models and count some pennies for ~6 months time.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I've been rocking a 46" Sony Bravia KDL46EX400 since 2010. Back then it was great and now it's still adequate, but 46 is too small for my new livingroom. I saw the 65" 4K OLED at microcenter and it was jaw dropping - but the input lag numbers from rtings are pretty bad. About 30% of my tv usage is fast-paced console games so I feel like input lag is kinda important, not sure.

If any of the new 65" OLEDs have better input lag, it will be extremely difficult to decide if they're worth it over the further-discounted 2015 models.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Nevermind

Botnit fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 7, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Geology posted:

If any of the new 65" OLEDs have better input lag, it will be extremely difficult to decide if they're worth it over the further-discounted 2015 models.

I have a hard time believing that the 2015s will discount too much further.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

http://ces2016.lgnewsroom.com/news/lg-2016-products-unveiled-ces-available-sale-u-s-consumers-today/

Some pricing info, not complete yet.

Top of the line OLED E6 65" will be $6999.

The top of the line 4k LCD 65UH8500 is $2999.

So, it will be interesting to see where the C and B series OLED fit. I'm going to bet $4999 which isn't bad for MSRP. We'll just have to see.

Any prospects of a 50-55" OLED for $1200 or less? Also, has LG fixed the "yellow tint" issue that some reviews mentioned for off-axis viewing? I need (want) plasma-type performance over a wide viewing angle.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yes the 1080p 55" oled was 1400 from buydig earlier this year.

That was on the 65" 4K model mostly and model numbers 10 and 11 (oct and nov manufacturing dates) are much better.

Spergs are now complaining about vignetting on the sides at <5% white slides.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Number_6 posted:

Any prospects of a 50-55" OLED for $1200 or less? Also, has LG fixed the "yellow tint" issue that some reviews mentioned for off-axis viewing? I need (want) plasma-type performance over a wide viewing angle.

Have oled, no yellow tint. Shits rad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I actually may not even be able to get a 65" model depending on how they build the base of the TV since my entertainment stand is pretty much exactly as wide as my 55W900a.
This is irrelevant unless you are already using the VESA mounts. There's plenty of tabletop VESA mounts that are narrower than the TV but still way more stable than stock stands. (Stability might not be a big issue for you, but my last TV got knocked over by my cat, and I'd rather not deal with that again. It surprisingly survived with just some added light bleed.) I've posted it before, but this is the one I got and it's really nice. Granted, it requires spending a little more money, if it's the difference between what you really want and what otherwise works, it makes sense to me.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 7, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Point of note. The EG9600 and its predecessor are not VESA compatible. We don't know if that's true or not for the new models yet, but the trend isn't in favor.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Point of note. The EG9600 and its predecessor are not VESA compatible. We don't know if that's true or not for the new models yet, but the trend isn't in favor.

b..b..but my center channel!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

On a related note, are stands with mounts (like this for example) ever good quality, or is it better just to get a normal stand and a separate mount like the one a few posts above?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Your tv should be wall mounted son.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Weird, but I guess that is an issue.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Don Lapre posted:

That was the original plan, but the only spot it could be is too high for comfortable viewing.

e: also, I'd prefer to not drill holes in the wall, I'm in an apartment and would like to get my deposit back :v:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Zack Ater posted:

That was the original plan, but the only spot it could be is too high for comfortable viewing.

e: also, I'd prefer to not drill holes in the wall, I'm in an apartment and would like to get my deposit back :v:

I hear you, I'm in the same spot. Though it's really not hard to spakel/sand/quickpaint when you leave.

Instead I think I'll just get this and plop my center channel in the top middle shelf.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

bull3964 posted:

This is a pain in the rear end, however you can use LG's official mount as a VESA adapter, since the holes on the "wall" side of the mount are actually VESA spaced. It's really stupid but it works fine.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

My tv is too wide to fit in the entertainment recess built into the wall :(

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
VW dropping in the humble brag :argh:

Lol

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Lol

Maybe he just has one of those bigass reagan-era rear projection TVs.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So, I know I should get an OLED but I can't justify that jump in price between the 55 and 65. I would use this next TV for straight-forward viewing while primarily playing video james. I use a chromecast/xbone for app usage so I don't care about the smart capabilities. My living room generally has the lights off save for a dim lamp that sits off to the side. Is the Samsung UN65J6200 alright if these are the things that I'm looking for? Is there anything else that's comparable that is a better TV if I'm more concerned about size and input lag than super ball rubbing picture quality?

Geez after typing that I look like a huge casual

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What price are you getting that tv at?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like $399 is going to be the starting price for the real first wave of UHD blu-ray players. Samsung announced that price and now Philips is saying "under $400" for theirs.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...r-support/28797

I have to say, I'm pleasantly happy with the form factor.

It really shows how far we've come in the SoC game. When blu-ray players came out they were bulky as hell. Compare that first generation 4k blu-ray player to something like the Sony BDP-S1 which was released just over 9 years ago. This time, we're launching with already mature technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Lol

Sad part is, the tv I had when I bought the house was too wide also, but it was an old led dlp Samsung so it was like 18" deep and the recess worked out. The drat 67" cost me more back in 07 than my current 75" 4k Sony did. Gotta love technology, get more and better for less money as the years go on.