Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Megaman posted:

The N54L was big for a while for small freenas solutions, and I have one, it's fantastic, problem is HP don't make them anymore from what I can tell. What is the new solution everyone is using these days in place of the N54L?

Now that there are a lot more mITX options most people are just rolling their own. A popular choice is the DS380.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just got a DS380 and can confirm its awesome.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Krailor posted:

Now that there are a lot more mITX options most people are just rolling their own. A popular choice is the DS380.

The Fractal Design Node 304 is also good if you don't need as many drives (officially 6 3.5" but has screw holes for 2-4 extra 2.5").

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Holy crap, those are both way cheaper than I thought they were going to be. Maybe I should start thinking about migrating my existing Xpenology box from this ugly thing. To be fair it does have 10 drive bays, and the only reason it's even in there is because I got it for free as a Promotional Item when purchasing something else. How hard would it be to move everything over? Do I have to keep track of exact drive to SATA port bay numbers? :ohdear:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

eightysixed posted:

Holy crap, those are both way cheaper than I thought they were going to be. Maybe I should start thinking about migrating my existing Xpenology box from this ugly thing. To be fair, the only reason it's even in there is because I got it for free as a Promotional Item when purchasing something else. How hard would it be to move everything over? Do I have to keep track of exact drive to SATA port bay numbers? :ohdear:

Label each drive based on what sata port its plugged into, and yes you should.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

eightysixed posted:

Holy crap, those are both way cheaper than I thought they were going to be. Maybe I should start thinking about migrating my existing Xpenology box from this ugly thing. To be fair it does have 10 drive bays, and the only reason it's even in there is because I got it for free as a Promotional Item when purchasing something else. How hard would it be to move everything over? Do I have to keep track of exact drive to SATA port bay numbers? :ohdear:

I would keep track, simply to keep the transition as smooth as possible, but it's possible Xpenology can automatically compensate. I'd want to be 100% sure though, before I forego tracking port->drive

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

^^^ Yea, better safe than sorry. I'll do it anyway. It'll take literally 30 seconds.

Don Lapre posted:

Label each drive based on what sata port its plugged into, and yes you should.

Mine does hold 10 drives though, just in case you missed my edit, Don :v:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That reminds me about how on my server I recently replaced all the cables and forgot to label which drive was hooked to which port. I think I've got something like 25 drives in that case.

I just hooked them back up however and ZFS just made it all work seamlessly.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

How do you even power that much with consumer-grade hardware?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

eightysixed posted:

hard drives are like 5 watts

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

hard drives are like 5 watts

That's once they've spun up. You can have a huge power spike when you power the system on and they all try to spin up at once. Some drive controllers allow for doing a gradual spin up of a few drives at a time to manage this, but those are more enterprise level.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Skandranon posted:

That's once they've spun up. You can have a huge power spike when you power the system on and they all try to spin up at once. Some drive controllers allow for doing a gradual spin up of a few drives at a time to manage this, but those are more enterprise level.

If they used 4x that amount, 20w thats still only a 500w load.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

If they used 4x that amount, 20w thats still only a 500w load.

Yes, but power supplies are not so simple and can have issues with huge spikes.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

Krailor posted:

What mitx boards do you recommend to go with this? I want a board that is so small it won't have a problem fitting in the case. I had a asrock that was small but still a little too big, and the board flaked out. Any non asrock boards that someone can recommend that are solid, reliable, and have the capacity for a full set of drives in the silverstone. Or should I go with a board that has slots to put sata cards on?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Megaman posted:

What mitx boards do you recommend to go with this? I want a board that is so small it won't have a problem fitting in the case. I had a asrock that was small but still a little too big, and the board flaked out. Any non asrock boards that someone can recommend that are solid, reliable, and have the capacity for a full set of drives in the silverstone. Or should I go with a board that has slots to put sata cards on?

All itx boards will be the same size. I use an Asus h87i-plus with 6 sata 3 ports and its worked flawlessly with xpenology.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

eightysixed posted:

Never had a problem using some Corsair 850W power supply. Don't remember which model it is so I can't look up how much power is on each rail, but it's not anything esoteric.

Also, I just checked and its only 21 drives.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm going to get an off the shelf 4 drive box (6 or 8 would be nice, but they are marked up significantly in Japan for some dumb reason).

I know it's not needed, but if possible I'd like to also set up an SSD cache in it without losing one of the main drive bays. Best I can tell none of the Synology or QNAP boxes do that off the shelf. Am I overlooking anything?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Can also just step up to micro ATX which has a lot more choices for boards and you don't need to use SO-DIMMS. Fractal Design has their Node 804 for mATX which I use and am very happy with.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Aredna posted:

I'm going to get an off the shelf 4 drive box (6 or 8 would be nice, but they are marked up significantly in Japan for some dumb reason).

I know it's not needed, but if possible I'd like to also set up an SSD cache in it without losing one of the main drive bays. Best I can tell none of the Synology or QNAP boxes do that off the shelf. Am I overlooking anything?

Spend the extra cash for something like a 15xx+. That gives you 5 bays and you can add expansion units to it.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Megaman posted:

You aren't going to find a normal board with enough sata ports to completely fill up the case. There are some specialty boards that have enough ports but they're kind of spendy.

A much more affordable option would be to get a cheap b85/h81/h97 board, pair it with an i3 and then pick up one of the numerous rebranded LSI HBAs from ebay to handle the drives. A lot of people, including myself, have had a good experience with ASRock but if you want to go with someone else MSI and Asus are also good choices.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Don Lapre posted:

Spend the extra cash for something like a 15xx+. That gives you 5 bays and you can add expansion units to it.

The problem is the prices in Japan after 4 drives go up significantly more than they do in the US. For example the 415+ is $750 US, the 1515+ is $1200, and the 1815+ is $1700.

Same pattern holds for the QNAP models.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Does amazon us ship to jp?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Don Lapre posted:

Does amazon us ship to jp?

I checked 2 different models and at checkout was told they won't ship them to Japan.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Try a freight forwarder?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

phosdex posted:

Can also just step up to micro ATX which has a lot more choices for boards and you don't need to use SO-DIMMS. Fractal Design has their Node 804 for mATX which I use and am very happy with.

You could, or you could go with a itx setup like I have, that runs a quad core AMD A6 and a full PCIe slot and a mini PCIe slot for an SSD. Perfect for a small NAS, and you can get the whole setup for a little less than $200 plus power supply.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

yeah but its amd

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Just as a friendly reminder for us data hoarders, but because all sorts of errors are possible beyond just your disks... so continuous, regular back-ups are heartily recommended, especially if you are running even a small business. Linus from Linus Tech Tips (not Linus Torvalds, yeesh) nearly lost a crap-ton of his data and wasted two weeks of time in the process.

I'm just a bit dumbfounded how a guy that's put out so much build advice built such a shoddy RAID setup in the first place even if it's so many years old... and proceeded to continue to build his company on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Linus is basically the Pewdiepie of tech reviews.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

phosdex posted:

yeah but its amd

It's a $200 NAS with a PCIe slot free for an actual controller.

Quit bitching

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

that wasn't bitching you dumb boob

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

necrobobsledder posted:

Just as a friendly reminder for us data hoarders, but because all sorts of errors are possible beyond just your disks... so continuous, regular back-ups are heartily recommended, especially if you are running even a small business. Linus from Linus Tech Tips (not Linus Torvalds, yeesh) nearly lost a crap-ton of his data and wasted two weeks of time in the process.

I'm just a bit dumbfounded how a guy that's put out so much build advice built such a shoddy RAID setup in the first place even if it's so many years old... and proceeded to continue to build his company on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

Cult of personality, somehow that dipshit has a successful following and brand. He didn't even have the self-awareness to be embarrassed about that setup. At least he was smart enough to realize he was in way over his head and got a data recovery firm involved.

"hoverboard jousting" project listed as important. Somehow people make a living doing this poo poo thanks to Youtube. I am old.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
It's more proof that selling is more about personality and appeal than actually knowing anything, and that's just how things work because most people are ignorant of any somewhat technical subject by default, so those that can reach out and appeal to the most incidentally "educate" much more as an aggregate than those that sit in a back office on some random project. He's certainly not as incompetent about tech as your usual enterprise sales guy... but he's much closer to that camp than where Linus Torvalds would hang out, but he still manages to appeal to average geeks that don't work professionally with computers because he's sufficiently outside their range of abilities to appeal as an authority.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

phosdex posted:

that wasn't bitching you dumb boob

It was sarcasm, calm down.

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

From what I gathered, he had three separate hardware RAID5 volumes on three different controllers that he then striped across as one logical volume in software? That seems ill-advised.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jesse Iceberg posted:

From what I gathered, he had three separate hardware RAID5 volumes on three different controllers that he then striped across as one logical volume in software? That seems ill-advised.

Here's the rub: This is an SSD RAID at that. He does not need nest RAID in SSDs, the performance boost will not be worth it. Nor does the risk of losing your array make any minimal performance boost worth it.

Nested RAID only really makes sense if you need intense performance from standard SAS or SCSI disks, not from disks like SSDs where you've already mitigated those issues, and even then his little home build box will likely not even touch the performance levels of a purpose built SAN device. And the SAN device would likely be somewhat cheaper.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I watched that Linus video and it made my teeth hurt. The guy has incredibly expensive hardware thrown at him like the wind and he does that. I was frankly waiting to the end when he lost all the data and was going to laugh manically. That RAID abomination is one of the stupidest builds I can even imagine.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Jesse Iceberg posted:

With a bunch of Kingston SSDs too. It is absolute loving buffoonery. Somehow that video has massed 72000 "likes". I hope it is people liking the situation as a whole.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

redeyes posted:

Yeah I watched that Linus video and it made my teeth hurt. The guy has incredibly expensive hardware thrown at him like the wind and he does that. I was frankly waiting to the end when he lost all the data and was going to laugh manically. That RAID abomination is one of the stupidest builds I can even imagine.

The only reason I might feel a little sympathy for him is the fact that his controllers only support so many SATA connections per controller. I get that, then you gotta kinda play. But in that case, it makes more sense to RAID 5 per controller, then RAID-5 all three controllers together at the OS level in order to tie them all into a single array. With this nested scenario, you mitigate a controller failure as well as a disk failure at the controller level. But its still going to cause performance headaches. He keeps ranting and raving about the performance, but in reality he would've likely gotten that performance at a single RAID level instead of nested.

But, in reality, the proper thing to do is get a controller that actually supports handling all those devices on a single controller. A little more pricey, but mitigates headaches down the road.

Oh, and make proper backups. That too.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 8, 2016

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

This is sort of a dumb question that is I suppose Synology related, and probably one of the stranger things someone has tried to do with a Diskstation. Anyway, my only computer (a 2009 MacBook) completely poo poo the bed this week leaving me with only an iPad and my Synology DS211J.

Anyway, I bought an Intel NUC to tide me over until Skylake MacBooks are released but that leaves me without a computer with which to make a bootable USB installer. Given that the Synology has both a USB port and runs Linux, is there any way I can say SSH into it and make a bootable USB (preferably Windows, but Ubuntu or similar will suffice) with an ISO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I have zero sympathy because RAID5 in a workplace is a really bad idea, and it really should be RAID6 or RAID10. What it comes down to is a lack of understanding on what the actual risks are, and where your points of failure lie. Given 3 RAID cards, the solution is not to stripe them in RAID0, especially for consumer grade SSDs.

If he could have put those cards into HBA mode and used a software raid that was NOT windows, like ZFS, and then even did a RAIDz1, he would have had a much better experience. Hell, even just using Windows Storage Spaces in HBA mode would have been better.

That is just a prime example of someone 'good with computers' who tries doing a business class (not even enterprise) implementation based on those principals is basically doomed to fail.