Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Goodpancakes posted:

Seriously with our bloated military budget they can't afford jalapeño cheese in every mre?

I think the idea is that randomizing even the minor parts of an MRE allows for a shorter time before soldiers get tired of repetitive diets. Though honestly, I'd rather every MRE for 10 years have jalapeno spread than deal with the lovely normal stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Only 2 cans left in the Russian ration. I opened a foil package of spread and found that it's just straight up loving butter.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Goodpancakes posted:

Seriously with our bloated military budget they can't afford jalapeño cheese in every mre?

Because some need to have the bacon cheese spread.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Only 2 cans left in the Russian ration. I opened a foil package of spread and found that it's just straight up loving butter.
An unexpected jackpot!

Was there anything to spread it on? :v:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
So, uh, how is Russian shelf-stable military butter?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Siivola posted:

An unexpected jackpot!

Was there anything to spread it on? :v:

The ration came with something like 6 packs of crackers.

hogmartin posted:

So, uh, how is Russian shelf-stable military butter?

It tastes generally like cheap, room-temperature butter. It does have a slight "off" taste compared to what you'd get at the grocery store and the color is a bit too off-white to immediately be recognized, but it definitely tastes and smells like a butter of some sort.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
In Russia, butter can't believe it's you!

:v:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

One of the best decisions I ever made at MCT was becoming good friends with a guy who had a peanut allergy. He'd give me all of his peanut M&Ms, peanut butter, and most importantly chocolate peanut butter, all for the low low cost of my cheese packets and skittles.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This seems relevant: http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2015/12/30/army-needs-volunteers-eat-only-mres-21-days-straight/78011512/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I ate what appeared to be a can of bacon from the Russian ration. I say "appeared to be" because it can be called bacon in the same sense that grinding up the scraps of steak and fat left on plates at Outback can be called a hamburger.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

quote:

Even the most dedicated prepackaged-food fan might sour on the offerings during a 21-day trial, so Natick research dietitians Adrienne Hatch and Holly McClung came up with a book of recipes pulling from multiple MRE offerings. Study participants can craft everything from specialty beverages ("Canteen Irish Cream Latte") to main dishes ("Bunker Hill Burritos") to desserts ("Fort Bliss-ful Pudding Cake") as they try to keep their palates fresh.

Bunker Hill Burritos, yum

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Goodpancakes posted:

Is jalapeno cheese like pepperjack cheese or is it more like the radioactive orange colored goo that frito lay sells as a dip and also has the unique ability to travel through your entire alimentary canal, almost unchanged, in about 45 minutes.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
It isn't solid like pepper jack and it isn't runny like cheese dip. It's basically the same viscosity as peanut butter. Tastes pretty good too, for something that you can keep in a packet in your basement for a year or two and then eat right there. I will sometimes raid my "it's February and the ice storm knocked out the power" stash for a packet or two and eat it on tortillas or matzo or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDG5u6oHmXQ

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I may have found a upscale civilian replacement.

http://www.humbirdcheese.com/products/12-oz-jalapeno-spread/

I'll report back

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you don't want to pay $10-15 for a full MRE, you can easily buy the individual components from various retailers.

I noticed that Airsplat, a popular California-based airsoft retailer, is selling its own MREs that appear to be made from purchased components. I may buy one to test, but it seems to just be a handful of components from various manufacturers (including civilian MREs) instead of a full MRE with 1000+ calories. I'd hardly call that suitable for a full day of exercise.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Goodpancakes posted:

I may have found a upscale civilian replacement.

http://www.humbirdcheese.com/products/12-oz-jalapeno-spread/

I'll report back

http://www.oldtaverncheese.com

They make a Jalapeno spread that is so good it should be illegal. You can call them and ask for up to a 44 oz tub to be shipped to you. On receiving it your life will suddenly improve.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The regular cheese spread tastes like velveta or cheese whiz, and has about the same texture as cheese whiz, but in a packet instead of a can.

Jalapeno Cheddar is somehow way better even though the only difference is some jalapeno flavor and the lowest amount imaginable of spiciness.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Who wants to be a guinea pig?

quote:

The Natick, Mass.-based Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine has offered up to $200 for anyone willing to subsist on nothing but so-called “meals, ready-to-eat” (MREs), the Army Times reported Thursday.

The institute’s military nutrition division is looking for 60 volunteers to try the vacuum-sealed food and drink consumed by soldiers in the field. Researchers are studying how the Army’s MREs affect digestive bacteria, called gut bacteria, that may benefit overall health and fight food poisoning, study head Dr. J. Philip Karl told the Times.

“We think we can manipulate the bacteria in a way that helps the bacteria fight foreign pathogens — things that could cause food-borne illness, for example,” Karl said. “Oftentimes, war fighters are overseas and they eat something off the local economy that can cause distress. Potentially, what we could do by increasing the amount of beneficial gut bacteria is to help prevent some of that.”

Half the study participants will be asked to eat only MREs, water and black coffee — no alcohol allowed — and the other half will keep their regular diets. Willing MRE samplers must live near the Boston-area facility and more information on how to apply is available on the Army’s website.

Study participants will be able to choose among offerings like “canteen Irish cream latte,” “Bunker Hill burritos,” and “Fort Bliss-ful pudding cake.” Army dietician Adrienne Hatch told the Times she has heard some bad things about MREs from troops but “working with this cookbook project has shown me a lot about what the MRE can offer.”

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
$200 plus free food for a month? If I were near that, why the hell not?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
If you participate, please please please stick exactly to the diet. Like 55% of all the problems in nutrition research come from research participants not following their regimen, then lying about it in some way.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So uh, the two folks who tried out the PLA rations. How did those go, hm?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Have they posted since then? :ohdear:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

We ate one and survived. I did not take the pictures though so I haven't posted. It was not nearly as bad as "Chinese ration" might make you think.

I have another one which I haven't tried yet.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with Indian rations? There's some wikipedia info and most Indian food I have seems like it would lend itself pretty well to retort packing but I just noticed I don't recall ever seeing one in a 'watch me try out this ration' video.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kafziel posted:

$200 plus free food for a month? If I were near that, why the hell not?

quote:

Participants must be within a reasonable drive to ARIEM's Natick, Massachusetts, location, and be willing to go without anything but MREs, water and black coffee for three weeks — no other food or drink, including no alcohol. The study, which includes multiple blood draws and other medical scans, requires a six-week commitment.

I'm willing to get jabbed with needles regularly for six weeks, but that "no booze" requirement is a killer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In the world of off-beat countries, someone on MRE Info recently reviewed a 2004 Dutch entree, and miraculously the can of rice with chicken ratatouille was still edible 11 years later...with an expiration of 2006!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hogmartin posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Indian rations? There's some wikipedia info and most Indian food I have seems like it would lend itself pretty well to retort packing but I just noticed I don't recall ever seeing one in a 'watch me try out this ration' video.

That's basically what Tasty Bites are, though I'm not sure if they make the Indian rations. Most of their stuff is pretty good.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

We ate one and survived. I did not take the pictures though so I haven't posted. It was not nearly as bad as "Chinese ration" might make you think.

I have another one which I haven't tried yet.

I think Mao-era PLA soldiers had a ration of canned pork belly in chili sauce. I could go commie for that if there was enough to go around.

Also, someone mentioned those Slim Jim sandwiches as part of those last-ditch ration packs for US soldiers. I think they're on the civilian market for the Tacticool Crowd:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, the "Tactical Sammiches" are literally the Bridgford pocket sandwiches that are manufactured for First Strike Rations. CMMG just contracted their own production run with their logo, much like how their "Tactical Bacon" is just a rebranded Yoder's canned bacon.

The FSRs aren't "last ditch" ration packs. They're designed for assaults and similar high-intensity maneuvers where soldiers don't have the time or environment to stop and cook food for eating with utensils. They consist entirely of packaged, shelf-stable foods that can be eaten out of hand like pocket sandwiches, Starkist tuna pouches, candy bars (the peanut dessert bar is addictive), etc. I don't think I have pictures saved of the ones I've eaten, but I can purchase another one and do a proper review for this thread.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, the "Tactical Sammiches" are literally the Bridgford pocket sandwiches that are manufactured for First Strike Rations. CMMG just contracted their own production run with their logo, much like how their "Tactical Bacon" is just a rebranded Yoder's canned bacon.

The FSRs aren't "last ditch" ration packs. They're designed for assaults and similar high-intensity maneuvers where soldiers don't have the time or environment to stop and cook food for eating with utensils. They consist entirely of packaged, shelf-stable foods that can be eaten out of hand like pocket sandwiches, Starkist tuna pouches, candy bars (the peanut dessert bar is addictive), etc. I don't think I have pictures saved of the ones I've eaten, but I can purchase another one and do a proper review for this thread.

Please do? I would be interested in your take on them as opposed to the other info I have seen.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Does anyone have any info on the Russian MRE's I've acquired? I can't ready Russian lmao

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

McSpergin posted:

Does anyone have any info on the Russian MRE's I've acquired? I can't ready Russian lmao

Ensign Expendable would be your best bet for translation.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

McSpergin posted:

Disregard me, I worked out a way to translate. I managed to get one with loving caviar in it!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Plan Z posted:

Also, someone mentioned those Slim Jim sandwiches as part of those last-ditch ration packs for US soldiers. I think they're on the civilian market for the Tacticool Crowd:

I tried something roughly similar to that as part of a survey group years back. It was passable for being free but if I had to subsist on it for more than once a month I think I'd have cut my tongue out.

Getting products to test for surveys was always fun because half of them were basically 'this is godawful kibble' and the other half were great but the company spent easily $20 shipping it out in refrigerated coolers.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

McSpergin posted:

Disregard me, I worked out a way to translate. I managed to get one with loving caviar in it!

Shelf stable caviar is not something I want to imagine.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Shelf stable caviar is not something I want to imagine.

I buy shelf stable caviar all the time.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The only true military food is the giant green cock that is forced on you every day.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

The only true military food is the giant green cock that is forced on you every day.

At least that cock is camouflaged for your convenience.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Alright so I've got around to starting to get into this Russian MRE. It contains a number of components:

Tea and coffee
Beef stew
Buckwheat and beef porridge
Patè
Caviar
Meat and potato stew
Several packets of biscuits
Napkins
Sterilised processed cheese dip
Two different fruit spreads, Apple and apricot
Salt pepper and sugar packets
Hexamine tablet stove and matches
Can opener thing

This is the cheese spread. Bonus points for being full. I had this with one of the packs of biscuits, as they had busted in transit. It tasted like generic cheese and biscuit snack cheese, so it was passable. I've definitely had worse. It would've been nice to be a tad runny, maybe if you threw it over the stove for a few mins

Next is the beef stew with some biscuits, and the Patè.

I don't own any military eating stuff so I threw it over the hex, let it heat up, and dumped it into a cup. The taste wasn't too bad, but it was very fatty. The meat was soft. I don't know if it's true but I assume that some soldier would have a salt and pepper container of some sort, because the packets they give are way too big to put onto one meal and taste anything except salt or pepper. So I cracked a bit of salt and pepper into it. The pepper definitely made it a tad nicer.

The Patè just tasted like any other Patè from a cheap off-brand store. Fairly bland, but it wasn't unedible. With a touch of salt and pepper it was lifted a bit.

The fruit drink i think was an apple drink. It tasted like an apple juice box.

I will post more when I've had a go at the shelf stable caviar :(:( and everything else in the pack but seeing as I'm on work holidays it makes sense to not eat 3000 calories in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That doesn't seem.....awful at all. Good job Russia?

• Locked thread