Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

So if Russia had cores on the provinces I'm coring, coring would pause on those provinces while we're at war with each other. Got it, thanks.

Yup, if you're at war with someone who has a core on province X, core creation will pause on province X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Node posted:

I think the AI is broken in calculating war odds. The Ottomans are my ally and they have declared war five times in a row, within months of the truce going away. They declare on Austria, who is allied to Hungary, France, Russia, a powerful Milan, and the Emperor, Aachen, naturally protects Austria, who is allied with six other countries. Combined they are almost double our troop count. I just let him continue to lose territory and I'm sick of being at war so much that I ticked the "Join Offensive Wars" checkbox. Has anyone else noticed suicidal AI since this patch?

Are the Ottomans in a coalition against Austria? I had problems with minors declaring conquest wars against me thinking the coalition would join.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
Has anyone noticed enforced transfer trade power not working? The tooltip claims that the trade power will be transferred for the duration of the truce, but i forced Kilwa and the Ottomans to give me their trade power about 50 years ago and they'll still happily obliging. On the other hand, Portugal stopped transferring while the truce was still active (and no, they weren't called into a war against me). Am I missing something?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
God damnit, you're an embarrassment to your name, Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Node posted:

God damnit, you're an embarrassment to your name, Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud Sa'ud.

That's just sa'ud.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Node posted:

:eyepop: I can't believe he told those foreign diplomats to Sa'ud off!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TITY BOI posted:

Has anyone noticed enforced transfer trade power not working? The tooltip claims that the trade power will be transferred for the duration of the truce, but i forced Kilwa and the Ottomans to give me their trade power about 50 years ago and they'll still happily obliging. On the other hand, Portugal stopped transferring while the truce was still active (and no, they weren't called into a war against me). Am I missing something?
I have seen them not stop transferring trade power, but I cannot explain it. I also cannot explain stopping before the truce ended. Only thing I can think of is that someone else forced them to end their agreements with you or something?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Node posted:

I think the AI is broken in calculating war odds. The Ottomans are my ally and they have declared war five times in a row, within months of the truce going away. They declare on Austria, who is allied to Hungary, France, Russia, a powerful Milan, and the Emperor, Aachen, naturally protects Austria, who is allied with six other countries. Combined they are almost double our troop count. I just let him continue to lose territory and I'm sick of being at war so much that I ticked the "Join Offensive Wars" checkbox. Has anyone else noticed suicidal AI since this patch?

I've noticed this kinda thing happening a couple times, yeah. I ended up in an AI ally offensive war in my last game where the enemy alliance had well over twice our combined troop count. It was weird.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Transmetropolitan posted:

Yeah, how many actual loans do I need to Major gently caress Things Up for them (Ming), though?

My main reservation on that front is that hordes are so drat poor that I am not so sure that going with an all in against them wouldn't bankrupt me even with a major victory

Conquer the goldmine that Buryatia starts with, get it to 10 production, swim in your scrooge-like pile of ducats.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I notice the AI still ignores the defender of the faith when deciding if it should wardec. This is actually pretty handy if you're the emperor.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I've not played a whole lot with the more recent DLC and the disaster system is new to me.

I'm playing as Russia and just took the decision to become a theocracy and after my next war I found that I get a disaster ticking if I have religious unity below 100%. By the time I converted the captured land, the disaster was at 55% progress... so what am I meant to do? It doesn't seem to tick down so do I just keep going and just accept that the disaster is going to happen? I assume the secularisation decision may make this stop happening but it's 7 tech levels away so that doesn't seem too useful right now. Am I dumb for choosing this as Russia?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gently caress yes! After far too many restarts I got a good thing going as Granada - first war between Castille & Aragon in about 20 restarts.

Now normally I wouldn't do this but I really don't want to restart another 49 times if I mess this up ... is there a way to back up this save file without breaking achievements? This is my one chance at re-reconquista without evacuating the old world.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I never thought I could do it. When the year hit 1700 and I had almost 250 provinces to go, I almost gave up. Then I saw how exponentially faster conquest becomes. I got admin efficiency 40% and never researched any admin tech beyond that. Finally, Jihad! Thank you for all those delicious 1/1/1 provinces, Russia.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

double nine posted:

gently caress yes! After far too many restarts I got a good thing going as Granada - first war between Castille & Aragon in about 20 restarts.

Now normally I wouldn't do this but I really don't want to restart another 49 times if I mess this up ... is there a way to back up this save file without breaking achievements? This is my one chance at re-reconquista without evacuating the old world.

Just copy/paste a copy of the file somewhere else in a backup folder. That's all there is to it, as long as you don't edit the file itself.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Node posted:

I never thought I could do it. When the year hit 1700 and I had almost 250 provinces to go, I almost gave up. Then I saw how exponentially faster conquest becomes. I got admin efficiency 40% and never researched any admin tech beyond that. Finally, Jihad! Thank you for all those delicious 1/1/1 provinces, Russia.

Did you take exploration/expansion earlier and then ditch it? Those lovely siberian colonies along with the rest of the landlocked african ones are easy pickings.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Odobenidae posted:

Did you take exploration/expansion earlier and then ditch it? Those lovely siberian colonies along with the rest of the landlocked african ones are easy pickings.

I didn't, despite advice to do so earlier. I had already taken Trade as my second idea group and was halfway into it, so I couldn't drop ideas that early into the game. I took Expansion and just the first idea for the colonist as my last idea group, since I couldn't invest that much Admin. Admin points I used only to tech up to admin efficiency 2, and then the rest was all coring.

In the end, I went Admin -> Trade -> Quantity -> Influence -> Offensive -> Expansion 1, dropped later for Religious.

My thinking behind all of those groups were: Admin mostly because Adaptability is one of the best ideas in the game, Trade because the India region is rich, Quantity (probably the most important) because while the other groups are nice, I found myself always needing troops, Influence wasn't a great pick in hindsight because I wasn't vassalizing much, Offensive because at this point less squishy troops the better, Expansion 1 so I could colonize the two provinces in Africa and connect to central Africa, and I swapped that for Religious because it was getting near the end of the game and I was freaking out at the humongous list of provinces that needed converting. I wouldn't have needed it, I already had five missionaries and an Inquisitor + max Piety was enough.

I wonder how many admin points Adaptability ended up saving me.

edit: I managed to get my early (in my opinion) westernization done at 1600 by just taking Goa from Portugal. So I didn't need to take exploration to do it that way although it may have been faster. The Ottomans and Tunis helped distract Portugal and Spain over in the Maghreb area, I never had to engage in a single battle.

Node fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 7, 2016

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

You know that might be a nice silly little addition. A bunch of stats at the end of the game. Not much computational overhead either. Just things like you spent 5000 admin points on coreing territory. 3974 diplo on development you killed 573823 soldiers you lost 6863 soldiers you colonised 50 provinces and so on.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
A Civ 4 time lapse of your nation.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Goddamn the AI sucks at colonial wars. Great Britian keeps calling me into independence wars that it should 100% lose. Instead, the colony peaces out with GB every single time with war reparations. This is like the 6th or 7th time they've done this.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Everyone should probably read this dev diary Wiz just posted about Patch 1.15 aka the Inevitable First Major Cossacks Balance Pass: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-diary-january-7th-2016.901211/ Some real major changes to Estates and Diplomacy.

The tl;dr version:

-Estates automatically removed from conquered provinces.
-Estate loyalty now naturally balances at 50 and fluctuates up/down from events and giving/taking away/improving provinces. Think how Prestige works. 60 is still the good cutoff while disloyalty is now at 40.
-:siren::pcgaming: Estates will remove the autonomy effect on their respective section of development in provinces. :pcgaming::siren: eg: You conquer a new province with 80% autonomy, high production, and a valuable trade good. You give said province to the Merchant estate and you now get full production income and trade power (ie: as if autonomy was 0%), on top of the usual Estate trade power and goods produced bonuses.

And then a bunch of Diplomacy changes that sound pretty nice:

Wiz posted:

-The AI will no longer rival a country they have 80+ trust with under any circumstances.
-Trust now has a much stronger effect on whether the AI desires your provinces, and will be the primary determinor when the AI has to choose between two mutually exclusive alliances (because of rivalries etc).
-The way AI claims provinces of vital interest has been reworked to be more sensible.
-When an alliance is about to break because of mutually vital territory, the game will now warn you via an alert that this is going to happen and give you a chance to adjust your own claims.

And then some elective monarchy/Poland stuff but who cares.

The Estate changes seem really huge. Completely negating autonomy, no matter how high it is, for a single part of development is a massive incentive to give all newly conquered land to your estates, which will theoretically make staying under the Influence cap an actual challenge. So now you actually get to make a choice as to which provinces you want to give to your estates without going over, as opposed to just tossing them a province every few wars to just maintain the minimum level. My initial kneejerk reaction is that this honestly sounds a bit too good so we'll see how it plays out with the new loyalty system and if keeping the Influence down and Loyalty up will actually be a challenge or if it'll be easy to juggle while getting crazy autonomy bonuses.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I am really happy to see that changelog, especially in regard to diplomacy. I'd kind of like to see trust in the 60-75 range decrease the odds of rivaling even if it's not eliminated since getting trust up that high takes so long (unless it already works that way), but a really needed and appreciated change.

One thing I would find to be really interesting: the ability to see what countries an AI *can* rival, so you know if you're even on the list, or if a potential ally is going to come up in the future.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Palleon posted:

I am really happy to see that changelog, especially in regard to diplomacy. I'd kind of like to see trust in the 60-75 range decrease the odds of rivaling even if it's not eliminated since getting trust up that high takes so long (unless it already works that way), but a really needed and appreciated change.

One thing I would find to be really interesting: the ability to see what countries an AI *can* rival, so you know if you're even on the list, or if a potential ally is going to come up in the future.

Any trust above 50 already reduces chance of rivaling.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

Any trust above 50 already reduces chance of rivaling.

:glomp:

On another note, how do you guys do feeding vassals in horde games? I was going to make vassals to hold non-Sunni lands in my Kazan game, but should I convert their capital before releasing so they can convert for me as I feed them, or keep them orthodox/whatever and force vassalize so they're stable and just eat the religious unity when I integrate?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Hey Wiz, can you kick the nobility estate out of Lancashire? I'd do it myself but England doesn't have a nobility estate that I can interact with.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Surprised to not hear how they're going to nerf the poo poo out of razing, if nothing else changes then this is actually a big buff to hordes because of the estates changes.

Maybe it will just become straight up impossible to not be forced to submit to the Hordes if you get too big without reforming.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

RabidWeasel posted:

Surprised to not hear how they're going to nerf the poo poo out of razing, if nothing else changes then this is actually a big buff to hordes because of the estates changes.

Maybe it will just become straight up impossible to not be forced to submit to the Hordes if you get too big without reforming.

There will be another dev diary on 1.15 next week, as I said.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Will estates ignoring autonomy count even for autonomy floors like distant overseas, hordes & celestial empire?

also please don't nerf razing it's so fun :sigh:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Wiz posted:

There will be another dev diary on 1.15 next week, as I said.

I wasn't trying to imply that I didn't think that you were going to sort it out, only that I was surprised that it wasn't one of the first things announced! With that said if you don't play with the sole objective of trying to find ways of breaking the game over your knee the estates and dip feedback improvements are probably more meaningful.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

Maybe the hordes should demand more and more autonomy until they start demanding the right to secede as vassals?

With the Dhimmi and Cossack revolt systems, EU4 is slowly moving towards a dynamic "your country falls apart such that no two stones are left atop one another" mechanic. I'd like to see this be fodder for future systems, possibly eventually culminating in events / estates / systems that can lead to dynamic new nations breaking out of an existing one, rather than relying on prior tags.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

Will estates ignoring autonomy count even for autonomy floors like distant overseas, hordes & celestial empire?

also please don't nerf razing it's so fun :sigh:

Yes, but you can't have estates in distant overseas or celestial empire.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Palleon posted:

On another note, how do you guys do feeding vassals in horde games? I was going to make vassals to hold non-Sunni lands in my Kazan game, but should I convert their capital before releasing so they can convert for me as I feed them, or keep them orthodox/whatever and force vassalize so they're stable and just eat the religious unity when I integrate?
Converting the capital will not do anything - the religion of a country you release is determined by the religion of the majority of their culture provinces or something like that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Palleon posted:

:glomp:

The religion a vassal holds is based on all of their cores when you release them, not just the provinces you release them with. So just converting the capital wouldn't matter. But you wouldn't want to convert them anyway, keep them as an off-religion vassal, and feed them those off-religion provinces (being sure to take them yourself first so you can raze them of course). The religious unity concern goes away entirely when you get to your third idea line anyway.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Paradox posted:

... resulted in some undesirable results like Nobility provinces actually reducing manpower if the country also had quantity...

lol I didn't even notice that, hilarious

Paradox posted:

making it so that developing Estate provinces increases their loyalty.

That's a great idea and makes total sense

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

VDay posted:

When an alliance is about to break because of mutually vital territory, the game will now warn you via an alert that this is going to happen and give you a chance to adjust your own claims.

Thank you

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Wiz, please remove Defender of the Faith. Or explain why it still exists. Right now it seems both ahistorical and not helpful for gameplay, which seems like a bad combination!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
The Elective Monarchy changes seem questionable. Prestige, unlike legitimacy, is not a real cost for human players. The newly increased claim strength of locals, combined with their higher stats and lack of risk of PUs, seems like there's going to be way fewer foreign kings on Polish thrones. And then what's the point of the system?

Prestige is another legacy mechanic that could vanish without anyone missing it, tbh...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Prestige is a real concern if you need to maintain a personal union, like say, Poland does.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Prestige is a real concern if you need to maintain a personal union, like say, Poland does.

I don't mind prestige myself, it does give nice bonuses. 100 prestige gives 10%? AE reduction, which is half of the idea from Influence, which itself is a pretty good idea. Although for maintaining a PU, wouldn't legitimacy make just as much sense?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Node posted:

I don't mind prestige myself, it does give nice bonuses. Although for maintaining a PU, wouldn't legitimacy make just as much sense?

Legitimacy already triggers all sorts of stuff that can indirectly end a PU like the Civil War disaster or just regular pretender rebels. Prestige is in a great place right now where it's always good to have plenty of prestige but outside of certain situations it's not that terrible to go down to rock bottom.

Also monarchies have almost no control over the claim strength of their heir so making PU's even more of an RNG-based blackbox isn't that appealing to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm not sure I want them to nerf razing so much as nerf hordes in such a way that if you don't eventually settle and modernize you're going to be left in the dust militarily and your horsemen are just going to be slaughtered. Like you have an early game window to get your Genghis on, but then you need to consider how you're going to be modernized if you don't want to be increasingly irrelevant.

Horde tech penalty? You really shoudn't be able to maintain tech parity and roll over midgame Western states with horse archers.

• Locked thread