Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Pocket warmer and Little Match Girl are probably my favorite side quests in the game. I love the running theme between all the protags side quests that these Combat Gentlemen are kinda garbage at dealing with the world around them. It's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think I'm just going to power through the rest of the Haruka/Akiyama stories without doing side stuff anymore, because goddamn is it dragging at this point. I hate Haruka's event things, and am really sick of having to sings her one song over and over again for various poo poo. I just want to conclude the Princess League already and move on to Baseball Man.

I kinda miss when this game was just Kiryu.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I quit playing at Saejima's chapter because that dragged way too hard for me, from what i hear that's not even the worst part?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

canada jezus posted:

I quit playing at Saejima's chapter because that dragged way too hard for me, from what i hear that's not even the worst part?

Haruka's chapter, while not necessarily bad, is definitely a bit of a departure from the rest of the series. You still wander around and all, but the combat is a rhythm game, essentially. Again, it's not bad, but it definitely suffers from basically only having the same six songs over and over again.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I actually don't mind the rhythm game itself. It's just an incredibly monotonous section otherwise.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

canada jezus posted:

Saejima's chapter is definitely the worst part.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Saejima takes forever to get good, Haruka starts good but gets monotonous. Neither are great but for different reasons

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
If both getting to the city as Saejima and being able to switch to Akiyama in Haruka's chapter happened sooner then those chapters would definitely be better.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Saejima's section felt like they had three different ideas on what they wanted to do for him but didn't want to commit so they did all of them. They had the prison stuff, the hunter stuff, and the standard city stuff, but I feel if they committed and transitioned Yakuza style open world to either of the first two ideas then it might have been different but really fun and interesting. Imagine if Saejima's section was entirely prison, but you could wander around different yards and sections of the jail and like go gambling and all the gambling stuff is rigged together out of whatever they could find or go to a bar but it's really a guy brewing moonshine out of a toilet. I'm thinking back to the Chronicles of Riddick game that had a bunch of non-linear stuff in the prison yard segment.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Imagine if Saejima just wasn't in prison again

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Let's give Saejima like 4 different scenarios. Then let's also give returning character Akiyama shared custody of a single plotline with a teenage girl and no sidestory whatsoever. At least in 4 everybody felt like they carried equal weight and the story is coming together through the characters, the plot in 5 basically takes a nap from the point Saejima gets out of jail until the point where you're controlling Kiryu again.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I liked Haruka's chapter but I bet I would have grown to hate it if I'd actually done all of the side events because it seriously is super repetitive. I loved her interviews and talk show crap though, I did all of those.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I didn't mind the prison or the mountain, the only part of Saejima's story that I didn't like was his adventures in his imagination. Yes I know Hokkaido is going to be cool, let me actually visit it in person instead of hearing about this guy's date.

The mountain wouldn't be as tedious if the tutorial was shorter. You spend way too much time loving around the first couple areas and the faster running speed should have been the base from the start.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
I've reached the endpoint of the game (where you can switch between the 4 characters) and I've not encountered a single gambling den in the whole game (except for the one you don't get to play in Saejima's storyline).

Are there really no playable gaming parlor part in Yakuza 5?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Shrinkage posted:

I've reached the endpoint of the game (where you can switch between the 4 characters) and I've not encountered a single gambling den in the whole game (except for the one you don't get to play in Saejima's storyline).

Are there really no playable gaming parlor part in Yakuza 5?

There are two in Kamurocho, which were introduced in previous games, but if you've never played a Yakuza game before, nothing really indicates they exist aside from just walking in. One is Ryujugo (or however it's spelled), in the north end of town, and the other is in the underground den of Purgatory.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
When did the one in the ramen shop stop being a thing?

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

There are two in Kamurocho, which were introduced in previous games, but if you've never played a Yakuza game before, nothing really indicates they exist aside from just walking in. One is Ryujugo (or however it's spelled), in the north end of town, and the other is in the underground den of Purgatory.

No, I've actually played all 4 games before, and I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't think of exploring purgatory to find the den. Thanks.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

At least in 4 everybody felt like they carried equal weight and the story is coming together through the characters, the plot in 5 basically takes a nap from the point Saejima gets out of jail until the point where you're controlling Kiryu again.

Did anything in Shinada's chapter end up mattering? I can't think of anything that made the baseball conspiracy connect to the main plot.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lucinice posted:

Did anything in Shinada's chapter end up mattering? I can't think of anything that made the baseball conspiracy connect to the main plot.

The bad guy shot the team manager at the end of it, maybe that was supposed to be important. It's hard to tell because it's never once brought up after that cutscene.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

lets hang out posted:

The bad guy shot the team manager at the end of it, maybe that was supposed to be important. It's hard to tell because it's never once brought up after that cutscene.

Well that's unfortunate. Although now I'm really glad Yakuza 0 has only two protagonists so they can write a tighter plot.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Honestly, I felt Shinada's part was all the much better for being relatively self-contained. Saejima and Haruka/Akiyama's parts felt like all the poorer for trying blend in the big story.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It was pretty crazy how T-Set's manager put a cigarette out in that dude's eye and then was also the mastermind behind everything? I actually kinda forget how he ties into the whole Tojo Clan business because I was distracted by the first part. I'm sure they'll remind me in the finale.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Just had a cutscene with a random pedestrian vibrating and rotating in place in the background the entire time. He looked very upset about it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lucinice posted:

Well that's unfortunate. Although now I'm really glad Yakuza 0 has only two protagonists so they can write a tighter plot.
They really didn't though. They could have tied it into the existing games in so many other ways, but it's like they made a clear decision not to and instead went off on weird tangents.

edit: I assume Kiwami will add a bunch of stuff to tie up loose ends from Zero, making it less focused as well.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 7, 2016

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Just had a cutscene with a random pedestrian vibrating and rotating in place in the background the entire time. He looked very upset about it.

i had one near the end of shinada's chapter where a pedestrian came and shoved one of the characters halfway off the screen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've run into a lot of pedestrians because politeness is lame but for some reason the only character so far that has actually knocked a pedestrian over has been Haruka. I wish to God the PS3 had a Share button, I would have done such a HEAT move on it when that happened.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

My favourite trophy in 4 is the one you get for knocking 50 people to the ground.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
Saejima's training left me rolling. Only he could end up getting trained by Mountain Gods and be all "Huh..." about it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wait what the gently caress, this game actually got a western release eventually?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

Wait what the gently caress, this game actually got a western release eventually?

Came out last month. Yakuza 0 is due to be released in the West sometime this year.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

4 years. :negative:

Was the release US/Digital only or something? I can't find any copies locally.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I beat the game yesterday, and I was impressed by some of the symbolism in the last battle.

Aizama wants to be a legendary powerhouse like Kiryu, and being Yakuza, they both have their favorite Pokemon tattooed on their backs. It's fitting that Aizama would have Magikarp, while Kiryu has Gyrados.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Xoidanor posted:

Yeah, I think it is digital only. Free up your hard drive. You're going to need about 40 GB.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Crappy Jack posted:

Came out last month. Yakuza 0 is due to be released in the West sometime this year.

I think 0 is next year, actually, and is only the PS4 version, but still good news.

Xoidanor posted:

Yeah, digital only, but also cheaper as a result. But like Pigeonbane said, it's almost prohibitively large, so get ready for that.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I beat down a bear with a scooter, and then I thrashed a group of thugs with a christmas tree while dressed as santa.

Tsukimino is annoying to navigate though...CROSSWALKS ONLY

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I'm trying to get the pachinko completion mark and jesus christ these jackpot animations are so loving long. Near as I can tell I'm barely getting any balls out of them, too

e: my jackpot counter was like 4 but I won literally no balls off them, gently caress this poo poo

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 9, 2016

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Captain Novolin posted:

I'm trying to get the pachinko completion mark and jesus christ these jackpot animations are so loving long. Near as I can tell I'm barely getting any balls out of them, too

e: my jackpot counter was like 4 but I won literally no balls off them, gently caress this poo poo
Were you adjusting the ball speed thing for the jackpot mode?

Unrelated to that, what determines the difficulty and duration of the little QTE you have to do to throw or avoid being thrown by tough opponents? In the Raiden fight in the Victory Road finals, for example, the first couple times (in a single fight) it's normal---just button mash X or O as appropriate and it works. But after the first couple of times it becomes functionally impossible---it doesn't even get done displaying the QTE prompt before it counts it as failed and he either breaks the hold (if I'm trying to throw him) or completes the throw (if he's throwing me) immediately.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

SubG posted:

Were you adjusting the ball speed thing for the jackpot mode?

Unrelated to that, what determines the difficulty and duration of the little QTE you have to do to throw or avoid being thrown by tough opponents? In the Raiden fight in the Victory Road finals, for example, the first couple times (in a single fight) it's normal---just button mash X or O as appropriate and it works. But after the first couple of times it becomes functionally impossible---it doesn't even get done displaying the QTE prompt before it counts it as failed and he either breaks the hold (if I'm trying to throw him) or completes the throw (if he's throwing me) immediately.

I got the ball speed pretty well dialed in so i didn't really mess with it. I turned it off when my reels got full but that was about it. Even looking at the balls won counter i didn't get anything.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Captain Novolin posted:

working as intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Captain Novolin posted:

I got the ball speed pretty well dialed in so i didn't really mess with it. I turned it off when my reels got full but that was about it. Even looking at the balls won counter i didn't get anything.
I don't know about all of the machines, but in the Aladdin ones you have to adjust the speed between normal play and when you're in a jackpot. The game actually points out where you should be trying to get the balls to land, but the only instructions it gives you are in Japanese.

Where's the balls won counter? The in-game display shows the balls you currently have, total spins, spins since last jackpot, and the number of jackpots so far. If you mean the thing listed under completion, I think that only counts net balls won per pachinko session, not total balls won. So if you blow a thousand and one balls getting to your first jackpot and get a thousand back, as far as the completion score goes you're still at zero.

• Locked thread