Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Lazy and messy as gently caress but you get the idea:

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

I second this call - with all the recent surprise :lol: this had completely slipped my mind. I'd be most interested in this as well. Come on Derek, don't keep us in the dark.

Crobberts announced they were firing everyone before the holidays, but buttered fans up by saying they were giving everyone like five weeks notice and pay or whatever. As far as specifics about people leaving, either they haven't announced it yet or it's all people nobody gives a poo poo about.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Octopode posted:

I think the important measure before a real judgment can be made is the velocity of changes, fixes, and additions we see in the next few months. 2.0 is a fairly significant technical step forward, but CIG needs to demonstrate that it's the crest of the hill rather than the bottom and begin building upon it significantly rather than delivering the kind of incremental changes we saw with 1.X.

With a little educated guessing about the root cause of the clipping issues based on what I've seen in the data files, I don't think they are actually as major of systemic issue as they seem. I think it's a pernicious bug related to the fact that ship and other geometry is not maintained as a single entity, but instead as a series of individual pieces placed together at runtime, and there is likely a fairly small change required to how this is done necessary to fix it, rather than a major effort, once the actual bug is found.

That's a pretty optimistic assessment, but of course the beauty of this entire drama is that time will eventually reveal everything.

Except time is being a fickle little bitch right now and just drip-feeding us the goods. It's always conceivable that deep, deep in the trenches, there are some genius devs working on a killer hidden build that will prove us all wrong. "Here's PTU version 3.0, BOOYAA, fuckers!" Not holding my breath though. It would be quite a departure from their pattern so far to suddenly release incredible progress and quality. But it would be an epic upset too.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

With a little educated guessing about the root cause of the clipping issues based on what I've seen in the data files, I don't think they are actually as major of systemic issue as they seem. I think it's a pernicious bug related to the fact that ship and other geometry is not maintained as a single entity, but instead as a series of individual pieces placed together at runtime, and there is likely a fairly small change required to how this is done necessary to fix it, rather than a major effort, once the actual bug is found.

Well it would be interesting if they could fix the majority of that. I've noticed from videos though that one object striking another can frequency push the 2nd object through a 3rd. Lying down and having a buggy push you into a wall clips you through the wall as an example. So guess we'll see how they do by March/April.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

Wow that guy comes across as a Grade-A rear end in a top hat. "gently caress you, we have your money." No accountability.

I'm already sorry for the people who buy his game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Starruption har become rife in the 'verse, prompting the Starbiters of the UEE to launch a new initiative aimed at providing greater government starensparency

I have to admit though, that the last one was a bit starfetched

I am going to the Starlet to Starmit

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Octopode posted:

I think the important measure before a real judgment can be made is the velocity of changes, fixes, and additions we see in the next few months. 2.0 is a fairly significant technical step forward, but CIG needs to demonstrate that it's the crest of the hill rather than the bottom and begin building upon it significantly rather than delivering the kind of incremental changes we saw with 1.X.

I agree with your assessment that a lot of issues seem to be caused by the ship geometry being made up of multiple individually simulated objects rather than a single coherent model - however I don't agree that it seems like something that could be fixed easily. If ships are made up of lots of small models fixing this would mean you need to make a new model then merge all the geometry into a single mesh which seems like a lot of work considering you need to do this with every ship. On top of that, I imagine you will need to re-do all of the ship animations since I imagine they also run off multiple small models interacting with each other.

Also... I have to imagine that there's a good reason why CIG went for the considerably less obvious and much harder route of many small models instead of one large one. There must have been a problem they were trying to solve or a feature they were trying to implement by doing it this way. It's not too clear what this could be, it could be ship damage simulation, it could be a short-cut to ensure modularisation is simple, could be a work around for renderer limitations (polycount for a single model for example).

It could be anything, but what ever it was that made them take the rather unusual step of designing it this way is going to need a new solution if they unpick the implementation.

Seems like a fair bit of work, a few weeks at minimum ranging up to "oh poo poo we have to rework everything else now to compensate" worst case.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Crobberts announced they were firing everyone before the holidays, but buttered fans up by saying they were giving everyone like five weeks notice and pay or whatever. As far as specifics about people leaving, either they haven't announced it yet or it's all people nobody gives a poo poo about.

I think Derek might have mentioned maybe 7 going before Christmas (from memory so might be wrong), recently on twitter Derek mentioned 4 leaving Austin, 2 of which have updated linkedin profiles to show they aren't there anymore (1 of whom is currently having a nice meltdown on twitter at Derek).

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
By the way....SQ42 is not coming out in 2016. I will take any money from anyone as a bet on this at any odds.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

That's a pretty optimistic assessment, but of course the beauty of this entire drama is that time will eventually reveal everything.

Except time is being a fickle little bitch right now and just drip-feeding us the goods. It's always conceivable that deep, deep in the trenches, there are some genius devs working on a killer hidden build that will prove us all wrong. "Here's PTU version 3.0, BOOYAA, fuckers!" Not holding my breath though. It would be quite a departure from their pattern so far to suddenly release incredible progress and quality. But it would be an epic upset too.

I won't lie, I'd be super excited for that to happen. Not just because there's a part of me that actually still wants this game to come out and be good, but because it would lead to a huge injection of frothy-mouthed insanity to document in this thread.

Like you said, I won't hold my breath, but god drat it would be funny.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AP posted:

I think Derek might have mentioned maybe 7 going before Christmas (from memory so might be wrong), recently on twitter Derek mentioned 4 leaving Austin, 2 of which have updated linkedin profiles to show they aren't there anymore (1 of whom is currently having a nice meltdown on twitter at Derek).

I dont know enough about any of this to know what's going on with that Twitter thing just now other than it's someone trying really hard to show how much they don't care about Derek by replying to him a lot. Who is that person?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

By the way....SQ42 is not coming out in 2016. I will take any money from anyone as a bet on this at any odds.

I bet you $5 something called SQ42 releases in 2016, I want your immortal soul if I win.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

aleksendr posted:

Hull A : 21.7m
Hull B : 49.2 m
Hull C : 104.5 m
Hull D : (Assuming 200m)

Lets say loading and unloading a hull A with the "Cargo commander" mini game take 4 minutes.

Assuming a linear progression form Hull A to D, each vessel increasing in cargo capacity we get 32 minutes (4*2*2*2) of load - unload time for a Hull D.

Fun !

Volume increases exponentially, not linearly so it's 4 minutes for the Hull A, 16 minutes for Hull B, 64 minutes Hull C, etc...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

I dont know enough about any of this to know what's going on with that Twitter thing just now other than it's someone trying really hard to show how much they don't care about Derek by replying to him a lot. Who is that person?

He seems to be:-

Jeff Clark, Austin, Quality Assurance, June 2015 – January 2016 (8 months)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

Yeah there were a number of people let go over the holidays, but it's less exciting for me because it was also announced by CIG last fall that they would be doing so. Admittedly they probably only announced it to take the wind out of Derek's sails, but it seems to have worked.

Link to the meltdown?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

I bet you $5 something called SQ42 releases in 2016, I want your immortal soul if I win.

They would have to be completely insane not to do everything in their power to shart out SQ42 Episode 1, Chapter 1, Verse 1 in 2016.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

I won't lie, I'd be super excited for that to happen. Not just because there's a part of me that actually still wants this game to come out and be good, but because it would lead to a huge injection of frothy-mouthed insanity to document in this thread.

Like you said, I won't hold my breath, but god drat it would be funny.

Therein lies the great misunderstanding surrounding goon intentions. The only thing goons want more than this game to fail is for it to succeed. If it fails, we :lol:.

But if it succeeds...

:laffo:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

seems like a reasonable, swell kinda guy

i especially like that he's not belligerent and defensive

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Has anyone said Fart Shitizen in the last few pages

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

You may also like: wulf knight @acceleraith

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I was going to post another message I got from a youtuber about how i'm derek smart but we've all seen it before, it's become the norm now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Prawned posted:

I like your avatar.

Now watch this and cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dWhJnnM2jQ&index=2&list=LLiuVX2traAHMLPX_zTLWRsw

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Prawned posted:

you did just now and i thought it was p funny

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AP posted:

He seems to be:-

Jeff Clark, Austin, Quality Assurance, June 2015 – January 2016 (8 months)

I like how often unemployed people are also the CEO of their 1 person company. Funny how that works out.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

seems like a reasonable, swell kinda guy

i especially like that he's not belligerent and defensive

:gary:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Someone should link him to the previous page of the thread.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

EightAce posted:

Anyone who takes this bet should contact me immediately about a limited number of bridge jpegs I have in stock.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zvjan/how_far_back_are_cs_tickets_delayed_right_now/
Goons are causing all the CS delays apparently :allears:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Shart Fitizen.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

fuctifino posted:

Someone should link him to the previous page of the thread.

Some guy just did, funnily enough his twitter pic is a green eyed cat.....weird... :P

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
The 8 month guy who worked on QA going barmy on Derek is pretty interesting. Kinda gives you an insight to how hosed off the loyal employees at CIG Austin might be with all the drama. Left for his own personal reasons and doesn't want to be dragged into drama, asks Derek not to involve him, you can understand that.

Rapid fire trying to win an internet fight with Derek Smart, not so much, doesn't make you look good.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Some guy just did, funnily enough his twitter pic is a green eyed cat.....weird... :P

:)

Hello Jeff. Welcome to the thread.

Why are you defending SC so much? What dirt do they have on you? What are they blackmailing you with?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beer you are such a drat special malt, look because of your long emails CIG has decided to add more CS people just to properly handle your tickets lol

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

2DCAT posted:

wat.

So they went from a 'rudimentary' system that was:
1) collect stuff 2) bring stuff back 3) click a button 4) something magically appears
To an 'advanced and visionary' system of:
1) collect stuff 2) bring stuff back 3) click a button 4) something magically appears

Croberts is a loving visionary genius.

It's basically a slight less complex, but more mathy version of what's in X³, and with (far far) less player input. And, of course, the actual production chains, their interconnectedness and balance aren't known.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

fuctifino posted:

:)

Hello Jeff. Welcome to the thread.

Why are you defending SC so much? What dirt do they have on you? What are they blackmailing you with?

Uhh look again, green eyed cat.....making fun of jeff, gave him a link to this thread.

I gave jeff the link, lol.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 7, 2016

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EminusSleepus posted:

CSIsupport.jpg

I'm fairly sure that "Complaint Department" points to a waste can.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

AP posted:

Ill take that bet. The Shmartmiester already has my soul, I made the mistake of looking into his eyes during a live feed.
I can give you some Ltd edition JPEGS of an as yet unreleased pirate vessel called 'The Rapist' I'll also chuck in some LTI.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
You know I kind of want this game to hobble out.
If it does what it claims in the slightest, then being a filthy pirate who can start from zero, stow away on a whales ship, steal it then sell and buy one for yourself with the profits.

If I'm reading right the whales also have unlimited insurance so they effectively kick start the economy via grand theft auto.

So getting somewhere of the whales back without spending $500 in the first place would be fantastic and more tear inducing than EVE.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

EminusSleepus posted:

Beer you are such a drat special malt, look because of your long emails CIG has decided to add more CS people just to properly handle your tickets lol

What the hell this looks like a normal office with sensible furniture and good lighting. That's not a CIG office, they're all concrete walls, metal bars and $5,000 designer tables made from discarded doors.

Genuinely though all the posters on the walls appear to be from starwars stuff so is this actually just a photo of some random other office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Chalks posted:

What the hell this looks like a normal office with sensible furniture and good lighting. That's not a CIG office, they're all concrete walls, metal bars and $5,000 designer tables made from discarded doors.

Genuinely though all the posters on the walls appear to be from starwars stuff so is this actually just a photo of some random other office?

that is because it is not in Sta Monica, that is UK office.

• Locked thread