Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

My FLGS has asked me to run the local league. Since it sounds like they're going to be coordinating with the US distributor to get some support for it as kind of a flagship thing, I don't want to run too far from RAW, but want to keep it relatively fair.

I'm thinking YES to optional "wounded" condition rule NO to critical hit rule (the game is already pretty swingy and a nat 20 kills plenty of stuff outright anyway).

Unfortunately any kind of XP change would be a pretty radical restructuring from RAW, so I might have to keep caster kill XP.

I think there should be a cap on the number of games you can play with your "league" warband in a given period of time, say like 4 a month, that "count." Otherwise you could run into Neckbeard 1 and 2 camping out at the store for a few days, playing against each other 50 times and running away with things. Also maybe a Warmahordes style XP bonus for each time you play a new opponent, to encourage variety.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
You'll need some kind of mitigator for high power vs low power team matchups; some equivalent to Blood Bowl inducements. This is a big thing missing from Frostgrave generally - you can't play the ice troll scenario every time!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
What size board do most people play?

3x3 or 4x4?

ParsleyTroll
Nov 26, 2007
We've been playing on 3x3 exclusively so far, have considered going 4x4 when we get around to playing a 3 or 4 player game.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Indolent Bastard posted:

Bad Karma has some good suggestions

This stuff seems good. Do you reckon removing the kill XP as they suggest would be enough of a fix on its own, or is the whole apparatus required to avoid the snowball effects? I guess I'm a little concerned with trying to recruit people to play and also trying to sell them on a fairly extensive houserule modification at the same time for the out of game stuff.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Indolent Bastard posted:

What size board do most people play?

3x3 or 4x4?

I think 3x3 has become standard and, like ParsleyTroll said, a 4x4 for multiplayer. I'm really tempted to try 2x2, very dense terrain but I've heard it just becomes a big fight.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

evenworse username posted:

This stuff seems good. Do you reckon removing the kill XP as they suggest would be enough of a fix on its own, or is the whole apparatus required to avoid the snowball effects? I guess I'm a little concerned with trying to recruit people to play and also trying to sell them on a fairly extensive houserule modification at the same time for the out of game stuff.

You don't need all of it, but each addition seems to help. Stopping the Wizard-Costco problem seems like both a flavor and a rule fix that most people would probably be OK with, I guess it depends on your group.

I would also plan for your campaign to run a certain length and just agree to retire your warbands at the end so you don't get an overpowered crew starting out in your next campaign against a bunch of fresh warbands.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

jodai posted:

I think 3x3 has become standard and, like ParsleyTroll said, a 4x4 for multiplayer. I'm really tempted to try 2x2, very dense terrain but I've heard it just becomes a big fight.

I think Dice Bag Lady played a bunch of convention games on 2x2 as it made for faster games, but I can see how they might get bloodier.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Indolent Bastard posted:

You don't need all of it, but each addition seems to help. Stopping the Wizard-Costco problem seems like both a flavor and a rule fix that most people would probably be OK with, I guess it depends on your group.

I would also plan for your campaign to run a certain length and just agree to retire your warbands at the end so you don't get an overpowered crew starting out in your next campaign against a bunch of fresh warbands.

I actually really dig the shopping rules because it makes the artifacts much more precious-seeming. Who cares if you found a Staff of Power if you could have just easily bought one off the rack anyway?

Maybe I'll just try to sell 'em on the whole package.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

evenworse username posted:

I actually really dig the shopping rules because it makes the artifacts much more precious-seeming. Who cares if you found a Staff of Power if you could have just easily bought one off the rack anyway?

Maybe I'll just try to sell 'em on the whole package.

That is my plan when I get my table up and running soon.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
If you play 2x2, ban Leap.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

XPost from the Oath thread, I got my warband and treasure painted!

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Complete

A band of Dwarf adventurers, seeking treasure in the ruined city of Frostgrave.

Some clanking medium constructs to support them.

Treasure ahoy, plus a bonus mimic I felt like painting (not part of the oath). These are treasure markers for Frostgrave, so I rolled a 6.

I'm thinking of putting together a scenario for the mimic where it can replace one of the treasure counters and wake up when someone picks it up, with stats similar to the Ice Toad (slow and ungainly with a horrible bite).

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So I got a box of the plastic soldiers for Xmas, and I was wondering, how would people make them up to best serve two gangs? I guess I should make 2 each of the Longbow/Crossbowmen, but after that, I'm not sure how many of the other classes I should make to best use my box.

Any suggestions?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'm also building my way through a Soldiers box (and a Cultists one too). Is it me or do some of the arms really not fit on certain torsos very well? A lot of my guys will have decorative shoulderwear to hide gaps in the join. Also I like the way recurving = evil, every time.

I firmly intend to build them around what looks the most cool and worry about classes later. I'll have a smattering of ranged guys and guys with daggers, and I'm building a guy with bagpipes to be a bard, but otherwise the only weapon setups that really lock a figure into a role are the bows/crossbows and the two-handed bastard sword. I'll use stripes on the base to identify who's who in-game, and it gives them the right "ragged bunch of professional ne'er-do-wells" feel.

(Hehehe you can make a guy dual-wielding longbows...)

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Grey Hunter posted:

So I got a box of the plastic soldiers for Xmas, and I was wondering, how would people make them up to best serve two gangs? I guess I should make 2 each of the Longbow/Crossbowmen, but after that, I'm not sure how many of the other classes I should make to best use my box.

Any suggestions?

Work out 300gc spent on 9-10 models, then build two of that. Go with what you think's cool, it doesn't matter overly much if some stuff is suboptimal in a mirror match.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Indolent Bastard posted:

What are the chances of stuff somewhat like this being folded into official errata? I'm looking to get started on Frostgrave, but like others, I'd rather not houserule the poo poo out of it. (Not just because I'd have to convince everyone else, but because it's a lot more work to find and vet unofficial rules.) I've heard that the designer is pretty responsive, but some of the posts in this thread suggest that these ideas are in opposition to his design goals.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

He's pretty good about FAQing stuff, but he seems convinced that caster kill XP is a risk-reward mechanic rather than a "take a caster that can reliably cast bone dart/chaos bolt or gently caress you" mechanic. He's diplomatic about it, but seems pretty dismissive of that one.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

What are the chances of stuff somewhat like this being folded into official errata? I'm looking to get started on Frostgrave, but like others, I'd rather not houserule the poo poo out of it. (Not just because I'd have to convince everyone else, but because it's a lot more work to find and vet unofficial rules.) I've heard that the designer is pretty responsive, but some of the posts in this thread suggest that these ideas are in opposition to his design goals.

Unlikely it will ever be official, the official errata clarifies existing rules rather than modify the basic game mechanics. While I understand your apprehension about using house-rules, but as the Bad Karma suggestions are widely used could you not pass them off as official?

If you want a bigger sample of people to respond to your apprehension you might want to join the FrostGrave: Fantasy Wargames in the Frozen City Facebook group (or the less populated Frostgrave Worldwide FB group) and ask your questions there.

I get where your concerns are coming from, but I do feel that the game is reasonably well implemented and that it can be enjoyable even in the face of some swingy aspects. Like may persistent games, a war-band will eventually be at such a high level you will need to retire it as no one will be able to beat it, a high level wizard is a total "deathstar" unit all on its own. Unlike a RPG where you can level almost infinetly table top games just don't seem to have that capacity, sad but true.

E: You can also try asking questions in the Frostgrave Threads on lead-adventure which in hindsight may be better than either FaceBook group as the guy who wrote the game posts there.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 4, 2016

ParsleyTroll
Nov 26, 2007
Me and my little group have only played about 6 games so far so we haven't felt a need to houserule yet, altough we don't really have that much direct damage spells flying, more skulking in fog and stuff. The general swinginess hasn't bothered us yet either. We're pretty much just happy about having a fun little fantasy game to play where old minis can play a part. :)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I was planning on using the guy on the right as my Wizard and was looking for an apprentice so I picked up the one on the left because their staffs matched and I thought she looked OK.

That was until I was digging through some old lead minis and found my apprentice. He has "Melvin the apprentice" written all over him. I can hear the constant back and forth already.

:smithfrog: Why do I have to wear this stupid hat?
:smugdog: It's an apprentices hat, you should be honored!
:smithfrog: Why don't the other apprentices wear one?
:smugdog: Clearly they aren't being taught properly.
:smithfrog: And why do I only get this tiny wand?
:smugdog: Do you want to be my apprentice or not boy?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

I believe this was mentioned to be Joe McCullough's personal blog, and he posted this scenario back in July to address some of these concerns. It's entirely unofficial, but I thought it was a really fun approach to the warband growth skew.

http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.com/2015/07/frostgrave-scenario-troll-hunt.html

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Well that certainly looks like he's wielding a type of magic wand.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Zark, you should have posted this here too:

Zark the Damned posted:

If any UK goons want a cheap Castle, this just got discounted - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281835608026

The cheap kid's toy castle from Debenham's is now even cheaper as they try to clear stock after Christmas, £18 shipped in the UK. I know this has been popular with Frostgrave players, so it's quite versatile and CHEAP (Dice Bag Lady got two I think!) and they have less than ten in stock now...

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

krushgroove posted:

Zark, you should have posted this here too:

The cheap kid's toy castle from Debenham's is now even cheaper as they try to clear stock after Christmas, £18 shipped in the UK. I know this has been popular with Frostgrave players, so it's quite versatile and CHEAP (Dice Bag Lady got two I think!) and they have less than ten in stock now...
£14 in-store, and there are way more than ten in my local. Worth a look if you have one nearby.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm just imagining a Debenhams board meeting in three weeks' time where the directors are poring over reports to try and figure out why all the nerds bought their toy castle.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I recently painted all the giant rats that came with my Bones kickstarter, and wanted to use them in a Frostgrave scenario. We adopted the Mausoleum, and changed it so that instead of a skeleton, d3 Giant Rats would enter from a random side of the central tomb.

It was amusing, as in the early turns, a single or duo of rats would pop out, force combats and make for a tense standoff around the treasure. Then around turn 4 or 5 we started getting LARGE rat swarms (3 a turn). It made for a very tense game of trying to avoid line of sight via Fog and angles so that soldiers could safely extract the treasure.

Had some questions though- does a Wizard getting a killing blow on a creature count for bonus XP awards? My opponent was summoning Imps, and aforementioned rats, so I was curious if they contribute to a bonus xp situation.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Winsor & Newton Series 7 Brush Gift Set Includes 4 Small Rounds only $17.50 with free shipping on Amazon. I have no idea why the price is so low.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00YEMI8ZY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Probably a data entry error, that's stupidly low. UK Amazon has them for over £35 and they're made over here!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

Probably a data entry error, that's stupidly low. UK Amazon has them for over £35 and they're made over here!

I'm debating ordering a second set; now even more so.

E: Second set ordered. I can just send it back if anything is fishy or wrong with the order.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 8, 2016

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm debating ordering a second set; now even more so.

E: Second set ordered. I can just send it back if anything is fishy or wrong with the order.

The only problem I had was it is coming in 2-3 months...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

jodai posted:

The only problem I had was it is coming in 2-3 months...

It's 2 day prime for me. I have no clue what the issue is, but Amazon is amazing with returns so I'm risking it.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I took a shot at one as well. If it shows up in a few months, great! Otherwise, I've got prime, so nbd on returns.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

It's 2 day prime for me. I have no clue what the issue is, but Amazon is amazing with returns so I'm risking it.

Does your 2 day shipping give you a date that is 2 days away? I have 2 day prime shipping but it gives me "March 9-April 22" as possible times I'll receive the brushes. Like others have pointed out, it's a huge deal and I still have a ton of brushes left. In that window I will be moving, so I'm a little nervous but I'm sure I'll get them eventually.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

jodai posted:

Does your 2 day shipping give you a date that is 2 days away? I have 2 day prime shipping but it gives me "March 9-April 22" as possible times I'll receive the brushes. Like others have pointed out, it's a huge deal and I still have a ton of brushes left. In that window I will be moving, so I'm a little nervous but I'm sure I'll get them eventually.

I double checked and I have a March or April date. But I've had that happen before where I get a date 2 months out with a Prime shipping deal and it showed up in a week.

Weird.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 8, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
For the UK goons: Saw this on the Facebook Frostgrave group, picked it up at a Sainsbury's but also available in bookstores:

Will make a cool centerpiece after adding some foam and imagination.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 8, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
That skeleton is 2 cool 4 skool

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

krushgroove posted:

For the UK goons: Saw this on the Facebook Frostgrave group, picked it up at a Sainsbury's but also available in bookstores:

Will make a cool centerpiece after adding some foam and imagination.

Saw that same post on FB and I've been looking high and low for them, I was about to give up when the local newsagents near work had it in today, much bigger than I thought it'd be but yea... a nice bit of terrain in the pipeline!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The second part has the top to the skull, and should be in shops as well... I'm planning to get a couple more, using one of them to be a sort of cauldron so the top is hollow and filled with green tinted water effects, which I've just started playing with this week.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Store's running a frostgrave campaign, and I think I'm going to go with an illusionist.

Does this sound like a good spell list?

Invisibility 12
Teleport 10
Transpose 12

Heal 10
Wizard Eye 10
Create Grimoire 12

Fast Act 12
Raise Zombie 12

I figure I can Transpose a zombie or disposable mook with an enemy model and shank it whenever I get a good shot at something juicy or carrying treasure. Going for maximum dickery with this wizard. I can cast fast act on my wizard if I feel like being a massive dick and cutting as much as I can if I get a good roll attempting to transpose the enemy wizard. Requires some luck, but it seems like it could be hilarious, and the prospect of 150xp is tempting. Having everyone ganging up should make it fairly certain, but if it fails, it's still hilarious in the other direction when they probably murder my wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Crosspost from the Oath thread, some additions to my warband:

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Complete

Ancestral Guardian

Familiar - it's a pretty retro mini from the 80s

Dwarf - Tried for a white scheme for the Jurnal with hints of colour in the shading, it's meant to look kinda ghostly but not sure how well it turned out (as is it looks a bit more like a marble statue or something)

Together with the rest of the warband from last month

A large and small construct, plus an Illusionary Soldier (in case I ever pick up that spell).