Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Facebook intentionally broke app for some users as an experiment to see if they would stay away from the service or just use the mobile website instead. People overwhelmingly used the mobile site rather than not use Facebook.

It is speculated that this was done to gauge what would happen if Facebook was removed from Google Play.

That's not ominous at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've not had battery issues with the Facebook app, it just annoys me that I get a notification that I have a notification instead of telling me what it is, it constantly tells me I have unread messages when I don't and whenever I tap the notification it asks me to sign up for Facebook.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

bull3964 posted:

Facebook intentionally broke app for some users as an experiment to see if they would stay away from the service or just use the mobile website instead. People overwhelmingly used the mobile site rather than not use Facebook.

It is speculated that this was done to gauge what would happen if Facebook was removed from Google Play.

That's not ominous at all.

I'm also going to bet that the number of users that this affected was relatively small.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Facebook app works fine for me and doesn't drain my battery. Life is good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't use Facebook other than for one friend who insists on messaging me through them. Life is good.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Syrinxx posted:

The FB app works fine for me and has for years. Google Play Services uses 5-10 times as much battery as Facebook in Marshmallow.

Also I can't share photos/links to a Firefox mobile bookmark

if I've learned anything from Android...

if Google Play services as using lots of battery, a rogue app (like facebook) is probably using it up.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
facebook poo poo on my dog

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

What is a "chrome notification"? Do I need the Beta app to get it? I don't have any problems with the app per se but it is gigantic so if I didn't have to have it that would be cool.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

myron cope posted:

What is a "chrome notification"? Do I need the Beta app to get it? I don't have any problems with the app per se but it is gigantic so if I didn't have to have it that would be cool.

Chrome notifications (I think) are a service that allows websites to send notifications via Chrome, sort of blurring the lines between a website and a local application. I've never used them.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Did anybody else lose their survey credits? I just answered a survey and now I'm back down to 50 cents.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I haven't actually had a survey since I upgraded to marshmallow. I was getting one per day before. I wonder what's broken?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bhodi posted:

I haven't actually had a survey since I upgraded to marshmallow. I was getting one per day before. I wonder what's broken?
I hadn't realized it until you posted, but this seems to be the case for me as well. My free games :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Same. Haven't lost my credit but I haven't gotten a survey in weeks.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

I've been receiving a regular amount of CVS and Walgreens surveys and I'm on Lollipop, just to confirm it seems like a Marshmallow thing. I'm sure it will be fixed in 6 months when Samsung + Verizon finally push it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've gotten surveys since switching to Marshmallow, but not nearly as often as before.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It's been a while since I got a survey, thinking about it. Usually I got about 3-4 per week. (The gym I do my workouts at is in the same building as a major electronics store, so about four times per week I got to earn 10 cents by telling them "No, I didn't go to the electronics store this time, either".)

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

facebook poo poo on my dog

my dog poo poo on facebook. thats why my posts are so bad. theyre literally shitposts

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm on Marshmallow and I'm getting more surveys than ever before. Not only do I get my Buffalo Wild Wings survey two days after I go to one, I'm getting a lot of the ones where I haven't been to any of the places recently.

Hell, in the last seven days I've gotten seven and in the month of December I've gotten 37. Marshmallow came out on October 5 and I've gotten 76 surveys since that day.

It's not Marshmallow, you guys just aren't eating enough wings.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
How do I get on this survey train?

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Yeah I'm on Marshmallow and I'm getting a ton of surveys. Oh well I'll make my 5 dollars back soon.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Maybe those of you who have suddenly got less surveys should double check that location history reporting is still enabled. Sometimes it gets disabled during a major upgrade.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I've been getting at least one survey a week for about a month or two now, but only on my tablet and they're always the "which of these places have you been to" survey, none of which are places I've been too (though now and then there's a place I pass on my way home).

I'll take the free money but it's really weird.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tots posted:

How do I get on this survey train?

Install this, take the initial survey (don't gently caress it up, there's a trick question in there), and wait a month. Make sure your location history is turned on then go to Bedubs and Walgreens a lot and you'll never pay for an app, song, or movie again.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

fishmech posted:

Maybe those of you who have suddenly got less surveys should double check that location history reporting is still enabled. Sometimes it gets disabled during a major upgrade.
Sure as poo poo, mine was toggled off for my MXP, proably since the Android M update. Thanks!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Install this, take the initial survey (don't gently caress it up, there's a trick question in there), and wait a month. Make sure your location history is turned on then go to Bedubs and Walgreens a lot and you'll never pay for an app, song, or movie again.

This and go to malls a lot.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

i like tacos posted:

Did anybody else lose their survey credits? I just answered a survey and now I'm back down to 50 cents.

Did they expire? I think survey credits expire after one year.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
The real, honest answer is that the bottom's falling out of the mobile ad business. Google are giving up their search/ad business in order to sell lawnmowers and yard equipment instead

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Will Google sell two different lawn mowers with incompatible parts, then suddenly discontinue one right before introducing a third mower?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Android 6.1 release notes:
* Fixed a typo, Google Now is now correctly named Google Mow.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

The real, honest answer is that the bottom's falling out of the mobile ad business. Google are giving up their search/ad business in order to sell lawnmowers and yard equipment instead

Silly, they're still in the search business... only now it's for truffles (white or black).

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Fiddled with the location history settings, twenty minutes later received the first survey in two weeks. Thanks thread!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

fishmech posted:

The other thing that happens that I always forget, if the app gets reinstalled for any reason (maybe even reoptimized after a revision release?) then the default for the survey app is to NOT be signed in. So you have to open the app, and tell it what account to use.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I've been trying slow motion video editing software that most closely resemble iOS' smooth slow motion editor, with no luck. Kine video editor gets closest but still I need to cut the clip, and abruptly slow the parts I need, and don't forget the loving watermark that won't go away unless I subscribe for almost $25 a year.

Any idea of a better editor? I don't mind paying if it's what I'm really looking for.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Syrinxx posted:

Sure as poo poo, mine was toggled off for my MXP, proably since the Android M update. Thanks!

No prob! It's happened to me a bunch around major OS upgrades and phone changes, so now I check it religously.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Made me realize I hadn't reinstalled it since switching phones. Gotta get on that subway gravy train.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
Does anyone know of a good unread count app for Action Launcher? The one from the same developer doesn't work.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've never had to bother with one until now, but it looks like I need a good call blocking app. For some reason, it's not native in Android, and it's not part of Motorola's light-skinning.

It seems to closest thing I can do is add the number as a contact, then send them straight to voicemail...but that's not good enough, because they leave voicemails. For the record, it's a collections agency for whoever had this number before me, and no amount of telling them they have the wrong number works.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Send them a certified letter with proof that you own the phone number and not whoever they're calling. It's against the law for them to continue to contact you, and if they do, you can sue.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've never had to bother with one until now, but it looks like I need a good call blocking app. For some reason, it's not native in Android, and it's not part of Motorola's light-skinning.

It seems to closest thing I can do is add the number as a contact, then send them straight to voicemail...but that's not good enough, because they leave voicemails. For the record, it's a collections agency for whoever had this number before me, and no amount of telling them they have the wrong number works.

I use this https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...oPDGAhRXyS5xKFg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Same, I like how you can report a number as spam and all other users see it. I haven't had to talk to a sales person in months.