Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I sold all my sune 2 days ago at a 10% gain. Trying to convince myself not to play sune roulette again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes

My Q-Face posted:

Hello, SUNE, nice 30% drop today, has the trap sprung, or are you waiting for me to put my dick back in it?
Didn't they get a reduction in their debt today? What gives?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

bushes posted:

Didn't they get a reduction in their debt today? What gives?

Something about a second lien, pricing a new facility, bad interest rates and 2018 or something, I don't know.

quote:

The Second Lien Facilities will be comprised of $500 million of A1 loans, and $225 million of A2 loans, each of which will bear interest at a rate of LIBOR + 10.0% per annum and will mature on July 2, 2018.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

LIBOR plus 10, debt markets must have a lot of faith in the company

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
SUNE

:eyepop:

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Well, I think we can all see that trucking, busing, taxi companies, perhaps even the traditional car companies are at risk of being replaced nearly wholesale by autonomous vehicles if they don't adapt quickly. A lot of highway construction hopefully. There are obviously tons of jobs in those industries that are going to go away. We might not be able to see right now how other automation/AI developments will be able to uproot other industries, but its kind of silly to think they won't. Doctor-bots might not happen for a long rear end time, but all the other people in the office can be replaced a lot easier.

I've got a degree in AI (an old one), and I've been a skeptic about it for a long while, because poo poo still fundamentally looks like the same crap I did 20 years ago. Expert systems - "IF (A AND B) OR C THEN BLAH BLAH BLAH", or training a neural net to develop those rules itself. But there definitely is a tipping point here where the computational power is enough to do useful poo poo, and the building blocks/toolkits are complex enough that its easier/faster to develop something useful. Things are going to be changing quickly. Can you see a future where every job that can be done with like an IQ of 80 can be replaced? Sure, probably already here, its just too expensive. That's not a very high bar, but its gonna be increasing pretty rapidly, and the costs are going down.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Still not at the August 2015 bottom. Ye gads this is just blargh to watch.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Agronox posted:

At what point do they just put the whole thing on a Visa card?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Agronox posted:

They wouldn't make the loan for even 10% if they actually thought the company was going under, SUNE is getting hosed by the markets right now and everyone is at the trough getting what they can out of it. They aren't going bankrupt.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Baddog posted:

Well, I think we can all see that trucking, busing, taxi companies, perhaps even the traditional car companies are at risk of being replaced nearly wholesale by autonomous vehicles if they don't adapt quickly. A lot of highway construction hopefully. There are obviously tons of jobs in those industries that are going to go away. We might not be able to see right now how other automation/AI developments will be able to uproot other industries, but its kind of silly to think they won't. Doctor-bots might not happen for a long rear end time, but all the other people in the office can be replaced a lot easier.

I've got a degree in AI (an old one), and I've been a skeptic about it for a long while, because poo poo still fundamentally looks like the same crap I did 20 years ago. Expert systems - "IF (A AND B) OR C THEN BLAH BLAH BLAH", or training a neural net to develop those rules itself. But there definitely is a tipping point here where the computational power is enough to do useful poo poo, and the building blocks/toolkits are complex enough that its easier/faster to develop something useful. Things are going to be changing quickly. Can you see a future where every job that can be done with like an IQ of 80 can be replaced? Sure, probably already here, its just too expensive. That's not a very high bar, but its gonna be increasing pretty rapidly, and the costs are going down.

Yes, I mostly agree. Automation tends to eliminate the poo poo, worst-paid jobs first. Which are of course the people least-equipped to deal with their jobs being eliminated. Doctors are at or near the top of the payscale in medical care, so I think they're actually the least vulnerable to automation. If they were really so unnecessary and replaceable, we wouldn't be paying them so much.

Outside of medicine, which really is a very human-driven industry, hell yes. Autonomous vehicles though? It's going to be a long time before we wholesale adopt driverless vehicles, as in, there's nobody there to stomp on the brakes. We don't even have much in the way of driverless trains, for similar reasons. Self-driving vehicles aren't very likely to lay off drivers in the near future: but they may cut the pay, and (hopefully) will greatly reduce the rate of road accidents and fatalities.

Our nation's highway infrastructure is crumbling and has 40+ years of deferred maintenance. More overpasses and bridges are going to start outright collapsing in the coming years, and I foresee a boom in roadwork jobs.

But yeah, automation is going to change the employment landscape. It's been doing so for 300 years and that trend isn't going to suddenly stop. The long-term trend continues to be the elimination of the worst most tedious poo poo-paying jobs, while more technical, better-paying jobs are being created in new industries that we're only just now realizing could exist.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Leperflesh posted:

Autonomous vehicles though? It's going to be a long time before we wholesale adopt driverless vehicles, as in, there's nobody there to stomp on the brakes.

We say this and it's a psychological thing with people not wanting to give up complete control, but we have systems in vehicles on the road right now that will stomp the brakes when drivers aren't paying enough attention.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sure. And yet, provably, having operators at the front of autonomous trains occasionally saves some lives, because automated systems occasionally fail.

The key thing is to turn the humans into the backups for the automated systems, rather than the current arrangement where it's the other way around. This is also how large commercial aircraft work. Planes are way beyond cars in terms of highly-sophisticated automated systems, and yet, we still pay pilots a lot of money, for good reason.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

My job is all about automating other people's jobs (in an office setting) - right now we're doing stuff with identifying and processing documents. We're taking kind of a "force multiplier" approach, where we process all the easy decisions out of 1000's of pages, and digest the remainder down to just the decisions we need a human to make - "what has someone written here?", "these two pages look very similar, are they the same document?", "our categorization rules failed, what type of letter is this?". It won't get rid of all the relevant jobs, but it'll probably half them by the end. Our next project after this should probably do about 75%. To me it feels like the role I'm doing is different than it was even 15 years ago. It used to be I was making people have an easier time producing better work, but there was too many things the computer couldn't do to actually get rid of many humans (often this part was "talking to people"). What's changed in my "office" type scenarios is 25% "computer capability" and 75% "critical mass of technology adoption". All of our clients have become more automated, and the people they service have become very open to "I'll use your app to put in my requests", so the "communication" parts have all become trivial (and that was the last thing keeping humans in lots of these processes).

Anywho, I think there's a lot of low-hanging fruit in automation that's going to get plucked in the next 15 years. The world could function with lots fewer office workers. The world needs some optometrists for odd cases, but drastically fewer than it has. Someone still needs to work at Walmart, but many fewer than do today; it doesn't take strong AI to stock shelves or clean an empty building or lots of things that currently employ a good percentage of the work force. The occupations I expect to grow - nursing, and a few others - won't be able to absorb all these people.

I do think the next 20 years will force a shift in Western economies as full employment becomes less and less viable. I think most countries will shift fine - I mean, "not needing to work" is actually a great thing that could be a real new age for people.... but I'm not sure about the US. There's a religious attachment to a certain kind of capitalism there, and I think it might get to violence before it'll make the kinds of changes needed.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Sure. And yet, provably, having operators at the front of autonomous trains occasionally saves some lives, because automated systems occasionally fail.

The key thing is to turn the humans into the backups for the automated systems, rather than the current arrangement where it's the other way around. This is also how large commercial aircraft work. Planes are way beyond cars in terms of highly-sophisticated automated systems, and yet, we still pay pilots a lot of money, for good reason.

First they came for the flight engineers, then the navigators, now some regional pilots start around $20k/yr. Check out the aviation thread in A/T if you want to know more but the aviation labor market is hilariously hosed up.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
And you will never actually get an engineer out of a train. However, they are designed so that anyone, with about three minutes training can, at least, move one across a yard.

It's the service and maintenance that people are employed in.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Is SUNE stressing SCTY or is the whole Nevada power thing that big of a deal to the stock.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

jmzero posted:

I do think the next 20 years will force a shift in Western economies as full employment becomes less and less viable. I think most countries will shift fine - I mean, "not needing to work" is actually a great thing that could be a real new age for people.... but I'm not sure about the US. There's a religious attachment to a certain kind of capitalism there, and I think it might get to violence before it'll make the kinds of changes needed.

Right, peoples identities are so tied up in their work, and the culture here is so against handouts. But the utopian vision of "in the future, everyone will only have to work 10 hours a week" ain't happening. The engineers are working overtime, and the people who can't learn new work are going to get nothing.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The market knows all, and it knows that no one should be paid a decent wage. The economy!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Baddog posted:

Right, peoples identities are so tied up in their work, and the culture here is so against handouts. But the utopian vision of "in the future, everyone will only have to work 10 hours a week" ain't happening. The engineers are working overtime, and the people who can't learn new work are going to get nothing.

No, no that's not true.

They are going to get arrested, sentenced to 60 years in prison and cost the engineers 60,000 a year to house and feed them. All over a single, solitary joint.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Who wants to give it a shot?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Josh Lyman posted:

Who wants to give it a shot?

Up 15% on it since Monday.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Up 15% on it since Monday.
Why the hell didn't you tell us? :colbert:

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I'm betting on YANG right now.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

I thought you were talking about some weird FANG with Yahoo instead of Facebook

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nobody could possibly scroll past that and think you were talking about a stock. :colbert:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Nobody could possibly scroll past that and think you were talking about a stock. :colbert:

In the Stock trading megathread No less!

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

And trading of SUNE just got halted. 135 million shares traded today :stare:

edit: aaaaaaand resumed

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It got below $3 in late november, so it's not close to its recent floor yet.

e. Ohhhh, this says they're not just taking out loans, they're massively diluting the common stock.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I think removing the circuit breaking rules means that the government is going to be buying heavily. At least tomorrow.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Sold my CSIQ yesterday before the 16% drop today, goddamn thank god

I kinda wish I could buy some SUNE but I should limit my exposure to solar

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

God dammit, I forgot to open a position on YANG. Even though I might be able to get in an after-hours order, I don't have any free cash so I'd have to pare back one one of my existing positions, and trying to execute both legs of that trade after hours is eating a lot of spread.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 7, 2016

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Josh Lyman posted:

God dammit, I forgot to open a position on YANG. Even though I might be able to get in an after-hours order, I don't have any free cash so I'd have to pare back one one of my existing positions, and trying to execute both legs of that trade after hours is eating a lot of spread.

I have a feeling you'll be happy about that. Very happy. Unless you meant a short position.

Some think the markets might have been intentionally manipulated to assist with devaluing the yuan more. The Chinese have a reverse repo style QE set to take effect.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

ayekappy posted:

I have a feeling you'll be happy about that. Very happy. Unless you meant a short position.

Some think the markets might have been intentionally manipulated to assist with devaluing the yuan more. The Chinese have a reverse repo style QE set to take effect.

Going short on an ETF dedicated to leveraging shorts... shortception.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Well I was initially right, but now it looks like the $SSEC is catching pretty much almost literally 0 bids. drat son.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Aaaand I'm right again. Probably will be wrong again in another 10 mins lol. Talk about a drat rollercoaster! I wish our markets moved this fast sometimes.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Business posted:

I kinda wish I could buy some SUNE but I should limit my exposure to solar

Do their fundamentals support that at this point? I thought the bondholders basically owned the company at this point.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

KernelSlanders posted:

Do their fundamentals support that at this point? I thought the bondholders basically owned the company at this point.

quote:

The company provided an update on its financial conditions on Dec. 24, including plans to install as much as 3.5 gigawatts next year, giving some analysts reason to expect the shares to rebound.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-wp-blm-sunedison-4629ded0-afbd-11e5-b281-43c0b56f61fa-20151231-story.html

The reason it went down so much btw was equity dilution directly by SUNE.

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

And hey SUNE got a couple upgrades today and those guys are never wrong. Sure the price ranges are anywhere from $2-$19 but that is beside the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
SUNE is not something to worry about day to day right now, you either have conviction on it or you don't. Good luck timing the wild swings.

WTW getting cheap again.