Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My prediction about the fifth class being a wizard turned out to be correct.

Vib Rib posted:

In a surprise twist, the fifth class is wizards. Not like, MELD-enhanced psionics, just plain old sorcery-fueled, fireball-flinging, pointy-hatted wizards with huge beards and gnarled wooden canes who cough out weird made up words and zap sectoids with lightning.
Okay, half correct. But come on, one of the ranks is "Warlock"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
You can stop and reverse the Avatar clock, but in order to put an end to it you need to beat the game.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

You can stop and reverse the Avatar clock, but in order to put an end to it you need to beat the game.

This is a Good Thing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Excellent, I like that.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Could somebody please link to the stream with jake?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't actually see how it's possible to succeed long term with Beagle's mods, even with intelligent positioning and movement. The enemy AI seems less exploitable than vanilla and has a whole shitload more early game tricks like psi zombies, mind control, and marking. The only times Beagle has done extremely well have been when the enemy has literally glitched and gotten stuck or he's gone on insane luck streaks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kanos posted:

I don't actually see how it's possible to succeed long term with Beagle's mods, even with intelligent positioning and movement. The enemy AI seems less exploitable than vanilla and has a whole shitload more early game tricks like psi zombies, mind control, and marking. The only times Beagle has done extremely well have been when the enemy has literally glitched and gotten stuck or he's gone on insane luck streaks.

I think Beagle knows this and will likely revert to a more insane Legendary run (sans long construction times because wtf...then again Beagle may leave those in) when the game actually comes out and he gets the full game. He's just doing this because he can only play the first 2 or so months again and again and he wants to face something a bit more brutal.

As a side note, it amuses me how hilariously strong even basic ballistic guns are at tearing buildings apart. Apparently the magical ADVENT cities are made out of styrofoam.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kanos posted:

The reason he gave for upping the difficulty was that he found himself snowballing mid-game. But yeah, early game with his tweaks is brutally unfair.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
i really like the art in the loading screens

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

fspades posted:

The reason he gave for upping the difficulty was that he found himself snowballing mid-game. But yeah, early game with his tweaks is brutally unfair.

I'm curious if this is because the preview build he has doesn't have more advanced aliens or ramping difficulty since it ends after three months, but can't tell when he keeps dying so fast :tem:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I hope loosing at stopping the AVATAR project is alittle more then just a cinimatic. "Oh crap, they finished it, and now everything is on fire, commander what do we do?!" *AVENGER UNDER ATTACK*

Que unwinnable base assault as whatever "final" alien they are working on strides forth in its perfected body and murders you all, like a reversal of the temple ship mission.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

fspades posted:

I can definitely see this happening for the same reason it would happen in EU/EW; a gun upgrade that allows you to one shot enemies means that it becomes way easier to stop the enemies from piling up, and pile ups are what have been killing Beagle most of the time.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

DrManiac posted:

Could somebody please link to the stream with jake?

http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball/v/34097623

Watch from 5 hours 10 minutes onwards for the mission with Jake "Hot Load" Solomon and the incredible finish.
For continuity's sake: the nerd with the glasses and the ponytail more or less singlehandedly saved the previous mission with some incredibly clutch moves, and has been dubbed Clutchmaster. He defends that title tooth and nail, too.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

At least Beagle's showing how important it is to take out Commanders/Aliens ASAP.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Superstring posted:

At least Beagle's showing how important it is to take out Commanders/Aliens ASAP.

Yep. Being marked is brutal, and sectoids are really scary support units.

Edit: the amount of units seems ok, but I think he needs to remove that health buff. He's getting rocked pretty hard.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The stuff he's doing to artificially increase the difficulty will apparently kick in normally in a longer game, because Dark Events do stuff like buff enemy health or increase the number of troops they drop in their drop ships. So in a regular, non-preview build of the game the stuff he did shouldn't be necessary.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You know, I really miss the Alien Activity noise from Xcom:EU. I think I might just mod it back in, the new one doesn't have the same ominous feeling.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Speedball posted:

The stuff he's doing to artificially increase the difficulty will apparently kick in normally in a longer game, because Dark Events do stuff like buff enemy health or increase the number of troops they drop in their drop ships. So in a regular, non-preview build of the game the stuff he did shouldn't be necessary.

Notably, I find the most interesting change from previous previews is that dark events seem to give time limited upgrades now. Whenas before when I saw them they were worded as if it would be a permanent increase. Of course, this is good considering one of the dark events is a faceless in every mission :stonk:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

64bitrobot posted:

Notably, I find the most interesting change from previous previews is that dark events seem to give time limited upgrades now. Whenas before when I saw them they were worded as if it would be a permanent increase. Of course, this is good considering one of the dark events is a faceless in every mission :stonk:

I think the flip of that is, there are/will be more dark events per cycle and you can only stop one.

And honestly, thats probably better to keeping each campaign fresh. "Oh whats happening this month in ADVENT news? Faceless, Health, Damage and greater recruitment costs? Oh dear."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Blisster posted:

Yep. Being marked is brutal, and sectoids are really scary support units.

Edit: the amount of units seems ok, but I think he needs to remove that health buff. He's getting rocked pretty hard.

No kidding. And Faceless are "OH GOD WHY" things to face. No clue about the Vipers since the only one we've seen ate a grenade before falling three floors. :v:

Sectoids seem to be sort of a "slow burn" kind of danger. The first one or two turns they're active isn't so bad, but if you keep them up too long they're suddenly controlling 2-3 mind controlled dudes, one of them being your dude the rest being corpses (which might be your dude).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

64bitrobot posted:

Looks like you'll have to adapt your tactics to match, then. Every ADVENT gets venom rounds, make sure you have anti-poison capabilities.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Sectoids seem to be sort of a "slow burn" kind of danger. The first one or two turns they're active isn't so bad, but if you keep them up too long they're suddenly controlling 2-3 mind controlled dudes, one of them being your dude the rest being corpses (which might be your dude).

They also love to bolt the gently caress out of sight when in danger, and go running to fetch more pods.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Thyrork posted:

I think the flip of that is, there are/will be more dark events per cycle and you can only stop one.

And honestly, thats probably better to keeping each campaign fresh. "Oh whats happening this month in ADVENT news? Faceless, Health, Damage and greater recruitment costs? Oh dear."

I think it's still the same. Every preview I've seen has shown three and they've been sayin for a long time you're only going to be able to stop one.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
God, watching Beagle's stream, and the music is absolutely fantastic :allears:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

You know, I really miss the Alien Activity noise from Xcom:EU. I think I might just mod it back in, the new one doesn't have the same ominous feeling.

That's how I think I'll feel about a lot of the sounds and UI elements.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

HenryEx posted:

They also love to bolt the gently caress out of sight when in danger, and go running to fetch more pods.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Honestly I feel that I might be a tiny bit more proactive shooting the fuckers than Beagle is. Sure, the trooper will shoot you now, but the Pectoid's gonna be a real pain in the rear end if you let him live.

Also, loving the randomized maps. XCOM team did a wonder with the procedurally generated maps. I see little bits here and there that I'm starting to recognize, which is fine since there's only so much drive-space for assets, but the whole map feels new every time.

Also, with so many people smoking cigars/wearing shades I want to create an entire roster with people wearing nothing but thick glasses for a "revenge of the nerds" game.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Annnnd Beagle is gonna revert things back to Vanilla. I think that may be for the best.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Beagle sounds salty about having to go down to vanilla :v:

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Beagle sounds salty about having to go down to vanilla :v:

Still max difficultly?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Robzilla posted:

God, watching Beagle's stream, and the music is absolutely fantastic :allears:

The one combat song mixes three of EU's combat tracks together, it's great.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I love how it seems like the design documents was just a bullet list of ways to gently caress up common EW strategies.

"Oh you like to play slow and careful do you? timed mission"

"Sectoids aren't worth your time? mega buff"
"You think you can just ignore civilians and just mob up the aliens as fast as possible? :unsmigghh:"

[e] Wow, this is coming out in almost exactly 4 weeks. I thought it was coming out the 16 for some reason.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 8, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Haven't had a good burger in years! :shepface:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
At what point in this 9 hour stream did Beagle fall for the Faceless trap?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I hate to miss part of it but, like, I already watched it for 4 straight hours and I had poo poo I was supposed to do today.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
godDAMN this game looks cool

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I forget but if you scroll around it was his first Terror mission, with ashes all over the air.

Stocks that give +Damage even if you miss seem like a godsend. Even if the RNG fucks you, you gently caress it right back!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 8, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Vib Rib posted:

It was the mission with Revolver Ocelot and the ashes in the air and everything burning. Scroll through, should be somewhere in the first 4 hours.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Rifle stock upgrade: +1 damage to all attacks, even misses. Yes, as Beagle-stream showed, that means you're guaranteed to nick the enemy on misses.

Holy poo poo I want a hundred of those.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Rifle stock upgrade: +1 damage to all attacks, even misses. Yes, as Beagle-stream showed, that means you're guaranteed to nick the enemy on misses.

Holy poo poo I want a hundred of those.

I loving LOVE that. If the RNG fucks you, you gently caress it right back!

Stocks seem like a nice anti-bullshit countermeasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

They seem like the perfect thing for when you've got an enemy with 1 HP too. Who cares if it's a sub-20% chance to hit behind high cover: he's got 1 HP and you're guaranteed 1 damage.

• Locked thread