Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

I can't get a read on the tone of this show...it bounces between high fantasy and snappy tween dialog.
That, and the disparity in acting between the veterans and the young people, can be jarring at times. But it's still an entertaining show overall and will likely get better as the writers and actors get more familiar and comfortable with their roles.

wormil posted:

I can see the thread will be a shitfest which is a shame. For an MTV show based on Shannara, this blew away my expectations.
Agree. I just hope there is enough good content in the series to keep positive discussions happening.
This forum is kind of strange with the large %age of tv viewers who take perverse pleasure in watching a show they don't like, week after week, just so they can come online and whine about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Binary Logic posted:

That, and the disparity in acting between the veterans and the young people, can be jarring at times. But it's still an entertaining show overall and will likely get better as the writers and actors get more familiar and comfortable with their roles.

I'm putting a lot of this on the writers. Maybe I'm just holding to my own expectations too much...but I was really jarred by the phrase "knocked up" appearing in this fantasy drama.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

And somewhere along the way the elves raided a third-rate Panem thrift store.

lol

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Buller posted:

Waterfalls are really loud and that one was falling from a huge ledge that was prolly pretty easy to predict from a distance, have you ever encountered a waterfall IRL?

This would work a lot better if you could hear the waterfall in the background, which I don't think you could. I don't think you could even hear the surf from the ocean about 20 feet away. The geography is a little wonky since they show travel montages and different enough scenery that should indicated days of travel, and then undercut it with dialog that indicates short distances.

The waterfall direction isn't really a big deal and is way less of an issue than the overall issue of geography that is rearing it's head.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est
I'm sad that I'm disappointed by this. I must have way over-hyped it in my mind cause so far it's pretty bad. Boring dialogue, over the top acting, and Xena the warrior princess set design. Pretty much what I should have been expecting I guess. I'll still watch it... I am a desperate fanboy man.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
There I was, sitting in my couch watching this new series. Then motherfucking Crixus appears. Aww yiss. :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Finally put my finger on what was bugging me about the costuming. A lot of the elven clothes feel way too...real? Like, the outfits they wear to run the gauntlet right at the beginning of the first episode look like something you'd buy off the shelf at a clothing store at a mall. Slightly fancy T-Shirts. And Amberle is very obviously wearing a regular ol' 21st century bra under hers.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

jivjov posted:

Finally put my finger on what was bugging me about the costuming. A lot of the elven clothes feel way too...real? Like, the outfits they wear to run the gauntlet right at the beginning of the first episode look like something you'd buy off the shelf at a clothing store at a mall. Slightly fancy T-Shirts. And Amberle is very obviously wearing a regular ol' 21st century bra under hers.

Blah blah post-apocalypse so their fashion can just be The Gap and khakis and poo poo.

At least I'm sure that's how the costume department justifies it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Batham posted:

There I was, sitting in my couch watching this new series. Then motherfucking Crixus appears. Aww yiss. :v:

poor Manu Bennett will never be able to equal the swoleness of season 1 Crixus

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
In a weird way I kinda like it. Yeah a good portion of it is probably laziness but it's still kinda cool to see a fantasy setting with a lot of normal clothes seeping in, like the beanies and the t-shirts the elves wore in the "run through the woods blind" test. I don't know if it's unique but it's at least something more than just a generic fantasy aesthetic.

Also; I know this is a fantasy setting so wars between fantasy races are just kinda a thing but every time the elf king guy talked about the War of the Races it sounds like he's reminiscing on that time he ethnically cleansed the elf kingdom of whatever minorities they had :hitler:.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DrProsek posted:

In a weird way I kinda like it. Yeah a good portion of it is probably laziness but it's still kinda cool to see a fantasy setting with a lot of normal clothes seeping in, like the beanies and the t-shirts the elves wore in the "run through the woods blind" test. I don't know if it's unique but it's at least something more than just a generic fantasy aesthetic.

Also; I know this is a fantasy setting so wars between fantasy races are just kinda a thing but every time the elf king guy talked about the War of the Races it sounds like he's reminiscing on that time he ethnically cleansed the elf kingdom of whatever minorities they had :hitler:.

Rede über Ohrsraum schaffen in das Vier Ländereien.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'd like this a hell of a lot more if it was just Allanon and Will running around. Manu Bennett can carry anything, and the kid playing Will is really surprisingly entertaining; everyone else is just disappointing. Even John Rhys-Davis was kind of a let down. I'm on board for at least the first six episodes, I think.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Surprised to see all the costume hate. I thought everything the elves were wearing at their weird party was pretty awesome.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Surprised to see all the costume hate. I thought everything the elves were wearing at their weird party was pretty awesome.

Someone up thread mentioned a Hunger Games vibe, which I totally picked up on too. That stuff was fine; very visually distinct. It was the everyday wear that was on the bland side.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Whalley posted:

I'd like this a hell of a lot more if it was just Allanon and Will running around. Manu Bennett can carry anything, and the kid playing Will is really surprisingly entertaining; everyone else is just disappointing. Even John Rhys-Davis was kind of a let down. I'm on board for at least the first six episodes, I think.

Yeah the actor for Will is the only good younger cast member with all his bumbling antics and mistakes. Also the part in which he lost the elfstones since he got easily manipulated by a hot chick.

Another fun fact from a somewhat more recent movie is in The Big Short you can see Michael Burry who is portrayed by Christian Bale in film reading the Shannara books while at work.

etalian fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 8, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's been so long since I read the book, even I was taken by surprise by him getting swindled. I honestly expected budding tween romance and instead I got a successful con ending with him passed out naked in a bathtub, only to be awakened by a scowling Manu Bennett....I'm suddenly having trouble coming up with a downside here.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

thrawn527 posted:

I'm almost positive it's brought up in the first book, near the beginning when he gives the description of where dwarves came from I used as an example in the OP. But it's been a long time.

I can't remember where in the book, I just remember thinking "wait, what, this is in the future?" and I was all dumbfounded. I want to say it was pretty far in, may be a book or two, but I'm guessing I was just a dumb kid when I was reading these and missed all the references for a few books. I do remember absolutely loving the poo poo out of the first book. When I saw Lord of the Rings I felt guilty for liking Sword so much. I had never read LotR...

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 8, 2016

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't think it was overtly stated in the first two books. There were lots of hints and things said that suggested it. All I know is I knew it and I've only read the first two books so far, but I remember it being something that more dawned on me than was explicitly told to me. Either that, or I wasn't paying attention when it was mentioned.

That's something that sort of disappointed me; all of the post-apocalyptic stuff was so overt. Honestly, none of that stuff would even be around thousands of years on. It could have been something interestingly teased at during the show instead of blowing their load on it in the opening fly-by.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

PureRok posted:

I don't think it was overtly stated in the first two books.

It is overtly stated in the first book.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
This looks like absolute poo poo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DrProsek posted:

Yeah, I was talking about this show with a coworker yesterday, and instead of "the War of the Races" I accidentally said, "the race wars", after which I paused, as we had a bit of a weird moment.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Show will probably get much worse since the only thing that worked well chemistry wise were the scenes of hot gandalf and Wil.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

It is overtly stated in the first book.

Which first book?

https://www.goodreads.com/series/43574-shannara-chronological-order

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Poor Dagah Mor, he thinks he's banging a hot titty demon but it's actually a HB1 monster.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The first one that came out, The Sword of Shannara.

edit: Holy poo poo, Terry Brooks wrote a ton of Shannara books after I stopped paying attention.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 8, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

The first one that came out, The Sword of Shannara.

edit: Holy poo poo, Terry Brooks wrote a ton of Shannara books after I stopped paying attention.

Yeah; there's like 9 different lines of books in the franchise, plus a bridge trilogy that explicitly connects his Word and Void series to Shannara.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Lets go with the first shanara book published in 1977 since that's the topic of discussion.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As someone who was familiar with Shannara in general but never read any of it, and given this is a show on MTV, I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Some of the acting isn't great, and for all I heard about the series ripping off LOTR it seems like the characters at least are from A New Hope, but I love the concept and the setting so far. Seeing all the old cities and everything reminds me of Life After People.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is really terrible.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

It's a classic Hero's Journey with the reluctant farm boy who has a great power he didn't know anything about being sent of a quest to save the world. Any number of other stories use the same beginnings to tell their tale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hollylolly posted:

It's a classic Hero's Journey with the reluctant farm boy who has a great power he didn't know anything about being sent of a quest to save the world. Any number of other stories use the same beginnings to tell their tale.

This changes nothing about the quality of the show being garbage.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
It's just very obviously a ripoff of LoTR and Star Wars. I'll still watch it because I guess I'm still 12-years-old deep down inside.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Good thing the rest of the episodes will be Manu Bennett locked away in the exciting elven politics castle

etalian fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 9, 2016

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I didn't expect too much because it's on MTV but I gotta say, I am very impressed.
There's movie-quality CG and landscapes, acceptable acting (anything above SyFy is good by me), and some actually funny scenes between Wil and Allanon. This feels like a classic JRPG in live-action form.

The succubus demon transformation scene when she was introduced was pretty bonkers, too.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can't say I enjoyed it. Between the tween snappy dialogue and aggressively mediocre acting (Can anybody emote in this thing? Anybody?...), Will looking like an old goon buddy of mine grew out his hair long (and dyed it), the completely preposterous amounts of makeup on the characters, the CGI BLOOM ON EVERYTHING, the entire world feels really sterile, and the show grates like my cheese grater on steroids.

Which is a shame, because the setting is baller, and I generally enjoyed the Shannara books, even if the first one was a straight copy-paste from LOTR.

I'll hold out till somebody goes and makes a Voyage of Jerle Shannara minisies or something. :(:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DrProsek posted:

I'm glad that Wil stopped wearing that beanie because it made him look way too much like Jay:

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est

etalian posted:

Good thing the rest of the episodes wil bel Manu Bennett locked away in the exciting elven politics castle

If it follows the book he should have plenty of action coming up in the later episodes.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I feel good today, Allanon, we're gonna make some gold, then you know what we're going to do? We're gonna go to that party, we're gonna get some elf stones, and I'm gonna gently caress this gnome, I'll gently caress this gnome, I'll gently caress ANYTHING THAT MOVES!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did anyone stare into the camera and say "So it begins..." Yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did anyone stare into the camera and say "So it begins..." Yet?
I think the line might have been, "It has begun."

• Locked thread