Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Another comment from youtube

joope zixzixzix +BrazilianPeanutWar
People like you are exactly why I don't join the SA forums.

BrazilianPeanutWar

No you're not on the SA forums because we don't tolerate paedophiles, have fun with your sister.

You are denying income for lowtax! XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

What amazes me is the backer's ability to simultaneously hold multiple conflicting opinions about every single controversy- literally they only ever seem to remember 1 event back in the timeline, and at this point are actually holding opinions that would seem to validate all the previous stories about CIG, if they took the time to think them through.

Okay, so, let me see if I have this right.

Derek Smart posts about David Jennison's departure email and the Escapist posts an article about allegations about Sandi among other things. It pisses CIG off so bad that CR writes a long letter about it. Backers say "I don't know why all these people are telling lies about CIG."

Derek Smart sends Beer a ship name.

Beer posts ship name with a a hash that is solved via google search- name leaks.

Ship comes out, is not that name- but for some reason there is placeholder text all over the article where it is referred to as POTATO.

Backers go "See? Derek Smart never had anything. It's safe to ignore what he says." They ignore the POTATO bit.

Beer is timecube-banned across 4 dimensions for multiple reasons, including but not limited to:
  • Corporate Espionage. Backers go "See? Shouldn't have colluded with Derek Smart to leak info." They ignore the bit where this would immediately show that CIG did, in fact, change the ship name just to spite Derek, and also that a lot of his other info was probably spot on.
  • Toxicity and posting in a way "not so clever as he thinks." Despite backers being overwhelmingly behind him regarding 104TC translations and the Cutlass thread, everyone nods and agrees that this is a valid and good reason.
  • Just generally associating with Derek Smart. Backers see nothing troubling about this.
  • Pissing off Sandi directly. The most probable reason but it will never be outright stated.
  • Violating terms of service in some way.

Beer goes on an Alice-In-Wonderland style email adventure to find out why he was banned- encounters Sandi literally playing multiple roles over Email. She is unable to actually put her finger on a reason. In the process she comes off as completely unhinged and unprofessional. Backers say "I don't see any of that- it seems like she's reaming him for being an rear end." They ignore the part where if the conversation is real, it not only shows how unstable CIG's management is, it actually confirms all the previous drama including Dave Jennison's leak.

Journalist covers Beer's ban along with BTHR podcast guys which is similarly sketch. Backers go: <fill in blank here>

:bravo:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwaihir posted:

Bots don't need to see the CSS to hit the vote :thumbsup:

Lmao at people making bots for reddit upvoting/downvoting and thinking it matters.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unfunny Poster posted:

What I find comical is that subreddit has only upvotes, I assume for a specific reason, but somehow posts have downvotes anyway.

basically a subreddit can't actually disable downvoting, the way a 'downvote button' is removed is by hiding it in the CSS

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

I feel like I'm explaining the meaning of really basic words here.

You're watching cognitive dissonance in action via syllogistic fallacy. An innocent person would <not hurt the thing i like> therefore if <x hurts thing i like> and person is <doing x> person cannot be innocent, therefore A WITCH! Throw in the emotional development of a pre-teen and you've got a very special snowflake.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

AP posted:

No but he's a media professional and should know better than to become the story, which is what he's done twice now by issuing sourced comments that aren't true. Even if it's only to cover his own arse he shouldn't leave himself open like that, issuing press releases with inaccurate information in them is stupid too like saying there's a planet and 2 moons to explore in 2.0.

Knowing David Swofford from NCSoft, I can say that he IS a nice guy. However...

There's an odd poison that I've encountered with nearly everyone that started their career in the computer games industry by working for Origin. It's a general sense of hegemony and blind confidence. Perhaps the best way to express the mentality is one of "We've been doing this far longer than you, so take your new ideas on development and publishing and gently caress off."

David worked for Origin before his time at NCSoft. In fact, many of the North American NCSoft staff came from Origin and of those, many of them drank the aforementioned kool-aid. The marketing and press for Tabula Rasa, as many of you may recall, was superb. However, with its demise, there was a huge shakeup at the executive level all the way down that resulted in nearly everyone from the old Origin days being scattered to the winds. The point being, he's damned good at his job. Even if the product is going to be gigabytes worth of disappointment.

In his defense, he is quite kind and congenial. Sincerely so. But, he's going to do the job he was hired for, with blinders on, just like the old guard from Origin. And, I wish it were different.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

FrankieGoes posted:

All you need to know, or will ever need to know, about food, is contained in the brains (and websites) of Alton Brown, Ina Garten, and America's Test Kitchen.

Add Joël Robuchon, Paul Bocuse, Pierre Hermé and Alain Ducasse to the list and i could nearly agree.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

basically a subreddit can't actually disable downvoting, the way a 'downvote button' is removed is by hiding it in the CSS

I don't understand your magic talk.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't understand your magic talk.

rude

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EminusSleepus posted:

Whoever bought Derek his new avatar.... o7 to you sir!

I lol'd here in the train

That was me. The two they bought me earlier were rubbish. So I did this one to piss Ben (who is no doubt reading this thread) and the Spergs off.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Another comment from youtube

joope zixzixzix +BrazilianPeanutWar
People like you are exactly why I don't join the SA forums.

BrazilianPeanutWar

No you're not on the SA forums because we don't tolerate paedophiles, have fun with your sister.

:vince:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

No wouldn't do much, would be funny if he went on a rant though. I understand and I think it's a lovely that after all the effort posts you put in on RSI trying to actually help them make a decent game they turned on you for something trivial that isn't even against their stupid rules and are so embarrassed at loving up again they won't even admit it.

I doubt he would go on a rant. His job, which he clearly doesn't get to do enough, is to put out fires and not start them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

That doesn't make sense. If someone was innocent and had action taken against them, they would surely go for help.

If you're going to accuse someone of a crime, and you're not 100% sure they're guilty, do it from at least an arms length away.

Innocent people generally have pretty strong reactions to being accused of something wrongly.

But that's just my experience.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Actually I'm his puppet. When he's feeling benevolent he takes off his watch before ramming his hand up my rear end.

SO HAWT! :syoon:

Henry Winklers balls
Aug 2, 2006
Slightly Agravic
Best Thread Ever

I cant keep up with this drama

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This guy either genuinely doesn't understand the simple point that was made, or is so mad he can't think. I'm not sure which.

Burn the witch!

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

D_Smart posted:

That was me. The two they bought me earlier were rubbish. So I did this one to piss Ben (who is no doubt reading this thread) and the Spergs off.

Ben wishes he was as in shape as your AV

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

EminusSleepus posted:

Whoever bought Derek his new avatar.... o7 to you sir!

I lol'd here in the train

FYI, SC will have trains to connect their cities on their PG planets and you should be able to look out the window and see PG birds.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Corzen posted:

There's an odd poison that I've encountered with nearly everyone that started their career in the computer games industry by working for Origin. It's a general sense of hegemony and blind confidence. Perhaps the best way to express the mentality is one of "We've been doing this far longer than you, so take your new ideas on development and publishing and gently caress off."

David worked for Origin before his time at NCSoft. In fact, many of the North American NCSoft staff came from Origin and of those, many of them drank the aforementioned kool-aid. The marketing and press for Tabula Rasa, as many of you may recall, was superb. However, with its demise, there was a huge shakeup at the executive level all the way down that resulted in nearly everyone from the old Origin days being scattered to the winds. The point being, he's damned good at his job. Even if the product is going to be gigabytes worth of disappointment.

In his defense, he is quite kind and congenial. Sincerely so. But, he's going to do the job he was hired for, with blinders on, just like the old guard from Origin. And, I wish it were different.

^this. All of it. I know David and have NOTHING bad to say about him, regardless of how much poo poo they throw over the fence at me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Actually I'm his puppet. When he's feeling benevolent he takes off his watch before ramming his hand up my rear end.

Are you Wulf in this story?

:nws: https://np.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3qkoud/derek_smart_fanfiction/ :nws:

quote:

Ben’s huge fist slammed into the backer’s face, shattering his jaw and relocating his nose. Blood sprayed across the floor as the backer flew backwards, coming to rest against the far wall. “I wanted honey glazed ham, you loving prick!” screamed Ben, white specks of saliva appearing at the corners of his mouth. “Honey glazed, you human being, not a goddamn roast with apple sauce! On your feet, you loving bitch, and get this abomination out of my sight!” The backer rose slowly to his knees, his arms shaking. He crawled to Ben’s feet and began collecting the various plates arrayed around his master. Ben shook his head, half turned away, then brought his leg around in an arc. The backer barely saw the kick coming, and his weak body had no chance of evading it. Ben’s foot slammed into the poor creature’s stomach, flipping him over and sliding him back again. His tormentor strode across the room and picked up the backer with one gigantic hand. “Leave the roast, you fucker” sneered Ben. “Get your pox-ridden arse back to the kitchens, and bring the loving ham!”

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Nice! Quick someone create an gif of that avatar where Ben is wiggling his butt on the chair

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

A goon banned till he's ninety-eight
He melted his ships, account wiped the next day
It's Lesnick turning away cake
It's a Madden meme two minutes too late
And isn't it ironic... don't you think

It's like rape in your spaceship game
It's a lovely ride when you've overpaid
It's the goon advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought... it figures

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Lol

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Corzen posted:

I agree, my interactions with David, both in emails and in person, has been nothing but pleasant and professional. He has accommodated myself and even a few goons with access to some of the live events.

I always got the feeling his hands were tied when dealing with the various meltdowns (The CR letter, Ortwin's legal threat, etc), as he's given a narrative and told to execute it, rather than have the agency to enact policy that would better serve Star Citizen.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

this guy would unironically do well for himself posting in FYAD imo.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Bootcha posted:

I feel like I'm due for a roundtable participation as well.

You can sit at my round table any day. Except... its not round... and the chairs suck.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Has it ever been suggested to CIG that maybe they change from the arcane and confusing metric system for their ships to something more immersive? Most us Americans don't have an easy grasp of "kilograms". Instead I propose something that the majority of backers and potential buyers would be much more familiar with.

I am of course talking about "the Lesnick".

Instead of something ridiculous like the Caterpillar weighing in at 84,516 kilograms (seriously the gently caress is that?), it would be much more understandable to say something like "28 Lesnicks".

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ill be in a round table

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

HiHo ChiRho posted:

A goon banned till he's ninety-eight
He melted his ships, account wiped the next day
It's Lesnick turning away cake
It's a Madden meme two minutes too late
And isn't it ironic... don't you think

It's like rape in your spaceship game
It's a lovely ride when you've overpaid
It's the goon advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought... it figures

...Ben owns 10,000 spoons, and 10,000 knives.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

aleksendr posted:

Add Joël Robuchon, Paul Bocuse, Pierre Hermé and Alain Ducasse to the list and i could nearly agree.

Does Joel have a cookbook? I've eaten at his place in Vegas twice (the cheap one, not the good one), but for me guys like Joel fall in the category of "amazing chefs that I probably won't ever be able to duplicate" while people like Alton mostly just give general advice and science, and people like Ina give "normal" recipes that anyone that isn't a retard should be able to reasonably duplicate, and the test kitchen is just all around awesome because they actually will make a dish like 40 times and taste all of them, while I'm pretty sure lovely cookbooks (including those from famous chefs) will take a common recipe and change three things and say it's theirs and awesome and never even actually make it. My personal best example of the latter is when I made a Emeril recipe for crab rangoons that involved probably $35 in ingredients (most of which was a significant quantity of real crab) and I ended up with something that I liked less than the 6 dollar rangoons you'd get from even lovely chinese restaurants that they just fry out of a freezer bag.

That might just be me though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MeLKoR posted:

So Beer how does it feel to be an international man of mystery?

I do feel like if this game ever came out I would be the most hunted man in the entire universe. It's kind of cool.

Sarsapariller posted:

What amazes me is the backer's ability to simultaneously hold multiple conflicting opinions about every single controversy- literally they only ever seem to remember 1 event back in the timeline, and at this point are actually holding opinions that would seem to validate all the previous stories about CIG, if they took the time to think them through.

Okay, so, let me see if I have this right.

Derek Smart posts about David Jennison's departure email and the Escapist posts an article about allegations about Sandi among other things. It pisses CIG off so bad that CR writes a long letter about it. Backers say "I don't know why all these people are telling lies about CIG."

Derek Smart sends Beer a ship name.

Beer posts ship name with a a hash that is solved via google search- name leaks.

Ship comes out, is not that name- but for some reason there is placeholder text all over the article where it is referred to as POTATO.

Backers go "See? Derek Smart never had anything. It's safe to ignore what he says." They ignore the POTATO bit.

Beer is timecube-banned across 4 dimensions for multiple reasons, including but not limited to:
  • Corporate Espionage. Backers go "See? Shouldn't have colluded with Derek Smart to leak info." They ignore the bit where this would immediately show that CIG did, in fact, change the ship name just to spite Derek, and also that a lot of his other info was probably spot on.
  • Toxicity and posting in a way "not so clever as he thinks." Despite backers being overwhelmingly behind him regarding 104TC translations and the Cutlass thread, everyone nods and agrees that this is a valid and good reason.
  • Just generally associating with Derek Smart. Backers see nothing troubling about this.
  • Pissing off Sandi directly. The most probable reason but it will never be outright stated.
  • Violating terms of service in some way.

Beer goes on an Alice-In-Wonderland style email adventure to find out why he was banned- encounters Sandi literally playing multiple roles over Email. She is unable to actually put her finger on a reason. In the process she comes off as completely unhinged and unprofessional. Backers say "I don't see any of that- it seems like she's reaming him for being an rear end." They ignore the part where if the conversation is real, it not only shows how unstable CIG's management is, it actually confirms all the previous drama including Dave Jennison's leak.

Journalist covers Beer's ban along with BTHR podcast guys which is similarly sketch. Backers blindly focus on CIG's right to control their forums as they see fit and ignore CIG's inability to even provide a coherent response.

Pretty much spot on.

Bootcha posted:

I feel like I'm due for a roundtable participation as well.

Man this would be hilarious.

Bootcha posted:

I agree, my interactions with David, both in emails and in person, has been nothing but pleasant and professional. He has accommodated myself and even a few goons with access to some of the live events.

I always got the feeling his hands were tied when dealing with the various meltdowns (The CR letter, Ortwin's legal threat, etc), as he's given a narrative and told to execute it, rather than have the agency to enact policy that would better serve Star Citizen.

That's the impression I'm getting as well. I've never met the man personally, but given his background I imagine he does a very good job of maintaining his composure. Clearly he talents are wasted at CIG, and I wonder if there will be a point when he realizes his affiliation will do him more harm than good.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Still behind on the thread but holy poo poo, no matter how many times it happens, I can't get over the echo-chamber powers of reddit:

https://gyazo.com/20d99f9c1ce052b25dcfa3338d367ba3

Answers question with information directly relevant to the question = -6 points.

I know this is far from the most insane thing in the thread, but the fact that it's just a straight-up useful answer without any connection to accusations leveled at him, and it still gets down-voted, really gets me for some reason.

E: I mean he even nods that Sandi says she's working towards a solution, it's almost a positive comment about CIG's CS setup.

surc fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 8, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Bootcha posted:

So you're saying he wouldn't refer to a customer as a butt-hurt special snowflake?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

Yeah, ultimately, this is his job. Its how he makes a living. Pretty much all customer service roles involve being the bad guy, and im sure nobody wants to. They are given scripts and guidelines and they have to follow those as if their job depends on it...because it does.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
This thread man :holyshit: And we've only just started the year.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

lilspooky posted:

Has it ever been suggested to CIG that maybe they change from the arcane and confusing metric system for their ships to something more immersive? Most us Americans don't have an easy grasp of "kilograms". Instead I propose something that the majority of backers and potential buyers would be much more familiar with.

I am of course talking about "the Lesnick".

Instead of something ridiculous like the Caterpillar weighing in at 84,516 kilograms (seriously the gently caress is that?), it would be much more understandable to say something like "28 Lesnicks".

25 Lesnicks...

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

This thread man :holyshit: And we've only just started the year.

its like christmas never ended

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

FrankieGoes posted:

All you need to know, or will ever need to know, about food, is contained in the brains (and websites) of Alton Brown, Ina Garten, and America's Test Kitchen.

aleksendr posted:

And Julia Child, and honestly I'd add J.Kenji Lopez-Alt. Some of his stuff is really thorough and good.

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that was a good jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wrong thread

• Locked thread