Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Xoidanor posted:

I don't remember exactly but I think it makes the roll twice and uses the average of the two as the result. This skews the result to be less extreme (farther from 0 and a 100) than if you had just done one roll which makes the outcome more predictable.

More extreme, actually, though you have the process right. Since only the enemy should ever have sub 50 chances in 90% of cases it's generally a plus for the player. :goonsay:

E: New page, uhhh
Nier's manual was changed in PAL regions to replace Emil's name with "????", so as to not spoil his transformation. It also had better instructions for fishing than the game and mentioned gardening, like, at all but that could have been in the US manual and just no one read the whole thing. :v:

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My favorite thing about Bravely Default, putting aside everything about it basically being FFV-2, is that it lets you change the encounter rate. If enemies around you are bullshit, or you need to go back and heal, just turn the encounter rate to zero and go do that! Alternatively, while I never found reason to, if you want to grind or something then you can double the encounter rate instead. Given how random encounters are sort of a big pain of JRPGs, especially Square-Enix's, it was a great solution to the problem while still actually having them (since they are way better than fixed encounters for more number-crunchy RPGs).

I'm bringing this up now, despite it being a year after I played the game, because this idea was so loving good that it's going back in time to improve other games. Check the Steam store page for the FFIX remake:

quote:

Additional Features
・Achievements
・Seven game boosters including high speed and no encounter modes.
・Autosave
・High-definition movies and character models.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cleretic posted:

My favorite thing about Bravely Default, putting aside everything about it basically being FFV-2, is that it lets you change the encounter rate. If enemies around you are bullshit, or you need to go back and heal, just turn the encounter rate to zero and go do that! Alternatively, while I never found reason to, if you want to grind or something then you can double the encounter rate instead. Given how random encounters are sort of a big pain of JRPGs, especially Square-Enix's, it was a great solution to the problem while still actually having them (since they are way better than fixed encounters for more number-crunchy RPGs).

I'm bringing this up now, despite it being a year after I played the game, because this idea was so loving good that it's going back in time to improve other games. Check the Steam store page for the FFIX remake:

It was a useful feature, but if you're going to have no encounter mode as an unlimited thing why not just have no random encounters at all and let you have a fight whenever you feel like, TWEWY style?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AlphaKretin posted:

More extreme, actually, though you have the process right. Since only the enemy should ever have sub 50 chances in 90% of cases it's generally a plus for the player. :goonsay:

No, less extreme was right. If you roll n dice and average the result, the higher the value of n the closer your result will be to the median. If you roll a 1 on a single die, you get 1. If you roll two dice and average the result they both need to come up 1 or your average will be greater than 1. You take the odds of rolling 1 (or 6) from 1/6 to 1/12.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slime posted:

It was a useful feature, but if you're going to have no encounter mode as an unlimited thing why not just have no random encounters at all and let you have a fight whenever you feel like, TWEWY style?

The game was designed and released with random encounters. The no-encounter thing was added to the re-release (which is the one we got by default overseas.)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tiggum posted:

No, less extreme was right. If you roll n dice and average the result, the higher the value of n the closer your result will be to the median. If you roll a 1 on a single die, you get 1. If you roll two dice and average the result they both need to come up 1 or your average will be greater than 1. You take the odds of rolling 1 (or 6) from 1/6 to 1/12.

I wasn't going to bother linking this, but since I'm going full :goonsay:, the number rolled is less extreme, but the chance of a hit (the roll being =< the hit rate) is more.

To make up with that with more content: Apart from the one thing I'm :spergin: about here, the Fire Emblem games are nice in being totally transparent about stats and having simple, logical damage/accuracy/etc. formulas with no randomisation, so you can survey the field and easily plan everything out in advance.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I appreciate that; I always made a beeline for the no-encounter charms/spells/accessories/Magicites/whatever, or plugged in no-encounter codes when possible. I remember DQ9 (and some older FFs, at least; I stopped playing kind of early on) had a spell or item that would put you into an on-demand battle, which was handy for grinding specific enemies in specific areas (Pink Puffs, anyone?).

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I love that your companions in Fallout 4 have unique reactions to you jumping off of buildings, cannibalizing corpses, ect. I love it even more that Dogmeat could not give less of a poo poo about it, and is just ecstatic to be there with you.

Also while it's annoying that I have to occasionally chase him down in order to trade with him, it's accurate dog behavior so I can forgive it.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

QuietLion posted:

Also while it's annoying that I have to occasionally chase him down in order to trade with him, it's accurate dog behavior so I can forgive it.

If you can see him, you can call him to you. Like, select him, point to ground at your feet and order him to go there. Which brings him to a little thing I love in that game: if he's really far away, your character will shout to get his attention. Unless you're sneaking, then he'll whisper.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I love that in FO4. If you are sneaking, you whisper to your companions and they will whisper back.
Except Piper sometimes forgets and goes, "HEY BOSS WHAT- Oh sorry..."

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I can't decide if the surprising number of sexy French Mr Handy's is my favourite little thing or troll in FO4.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

AlphaKretin posted:

E: New page, uhhh
Nier's manual was changed in PAL regions to replace Emil's name with "????", so as to not spoil his transformation. It also had better instructions for fishing than the game and mentioned gardening, like, at all but that could have been in the US manual and just no one read the whole thing. :v:

Nier was one of the few times I genuinely got mad at video game reviews because so many of them were like "this game is awful, I got to this fishing thing and it was impossible!" and it's not, for some reason people just go retarded when you hit that point even though there's a giant red X pointing you to where you're supposed to go like you've been following for the rest of the game so far. I can't wait to see what the new game does to top it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Nier was one of the few times I genuinely got mad at video game reviews because so many of them were like "this game is awful, I got to this fishing thing and it was impossible!" and it's not, for some reason people just go retarded when you hit that point even though there's a giant red X pointing you to where you're supposed to go like you've been following for the rest of the game so far. I can't wait to see what the new game does to top it.

If by "so many" you mean "one." I mean it was stupid but it was some kotaku (IIRC) reviewer, not a whole spread.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Finally got around to getting and finishing Shovel Knight and, while I loved the gameplay more as him (so far), I love how much of an rear end Plague Knight is. I just did his stage and between finding his bedroom/bouncing on his bed and the finale of the stage where I beat Shovel Knight who then charge attacked me while my back was turned, leading to me just robbing the essence from him as he camped, I adore the little dweeb.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ImpAtom posted:

If by "so many" you mean "one." I mean it was stupid but it was some kotaku (IIRC) reviewer, not a whole spread.

Kotaku was probably the only major one, but a lot of lesser ones did too. I usually look more at user reviews than professional ones and turns out players are just as retarded as people getting paid to review games.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Nuebot posted:

I got stuck there as well and it could have been avoided by putting the fishing tutor on the beach, since the first instinct of a lot of people when seeing a tutor is to use the relevant activity spot they are right beside.

Or, they could have just not had a fishing minigame at all because fishing minigames are universally loving terrible and add nothing to any game they're in.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inco posted:

I got stuck there as well and it could have been avoided by putting the fishing tutor on the beach, since the first instinct of a lot of people when seeing a tutor is to use the relevant activity spot they are right beside.

Or, they could have just not had a fishing minigame at all because fishing minigames are universally loving terrible and add nothing to any game they're in.

He also said something like "go fish at the nearby beach" so it's understandable people would go to the beach he's standing right next to. I don't think I even realized there were quest markers until I got stuck at that point.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It may seem an odd thing to praise, but I love that debris causes damage in Red Faction Guerrilla. I walked up to a propaganda billboard by the side of the road, and hit it with my hammer. The board collapsing on my character's head killed him. Been a long while since I've had a laugh like that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cythereal posted:

It may seem an odd thing to praise, but I love that debris causes damage in Red Faction Guerrilla. I walked up to a propaganda billboard by the side of the road, and hit it with my hammer. The board collapsing on my character's head killed him. Been a long while since I've had a laugh like that.
The novelty of being able to destroy nearly everything in the game is awesome. When I got the Death By Committee mission (assassinate 6 people at the EDF economic summit,) I had already perfected the demolition mission at the construction site and was able to drop the crown of the building with a few shots of the nano rifle without being spotted because all the damage was several floors above them until the whole building collapses.

Jenkins' cheesy lines while he was driving you around to blow stuff up were also good for a laugh. "Someday, you'll be a computer." And after you kill him for being an EDF informant in the main storyline you can still replay his destruction missions; he drives you around telling you he doesn't resent you for killing him, then drops you off telling you he'll see you again soon.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

One of these days we will have that level of destruction in a multiplayer game and in a single player game that allows for stealth.

Crackdown 3 looks like it will do something like that via cloud computing but the Crackdown franchise is only half good.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cythereal posted:

Reminds me when I was inside a player built house in Rust and the helicopter decided the best way to punish me for wearing pants was to launch rockets and destroy the entire house.

I couldn't stop laughing for like 5 minutes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Inzombiac posted:

Crackdown 3 looks like it will do something like that via cloud computing but the Crackdown franchise is only half good.

I though the whole "don't worry, we'll make up for the fact that our hardware is inferior in every way with the power of :yayclod: the cloud :yayclod:" thing died off around the same time the Kinect did.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sleeveless posted:

I though the whole "don't worry, we'll make up for the fact that our hardware is inferior in every way with the power of :yayclod: the cloud :yayclod:" thing died off years ago.

The wheels fell off a bit when most companies realized most of the US doesn't have the infrastructure for cloud/streamed gaming, yes. Sony's PS4 offerings work just fine in that regard, but it wouldn't be the case if it wasn't a "mere" feature of the PS4's network infrastructure at-large.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Inco posted:

I think fishing (mini-)games are kind of a Japanese obsession. Same thing with horse racing and betting on horse races in video games.

On that note, one of my favorite video games as a kid growing up was Legend of the River King for the OG Gameboy by Natsume. Like other Natsume games, it's a quirky RPG based around fishing mini games that are surprisingly fun on your way to catching the eponymous legendary River King fish who has it's own unlockable bonus lake at the end of the game where you can also catch every other fish in the game you've collected up till then already. This is all done so you can cure your little sister of some illness told about at the beginning.

As I mentioned, the fishing part is fast paced and fun along a detailed (for its time) 2D section in addition to a barebones Dragon Warriors battle system where you punch the poo poo out of bears with your bare hands! :black101: That game plus Pokemon and Dragon Warrior Monsters and Wario Land made for a happy childhood in terms of handheld gaming. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 07:02 on Jan 8, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wario land was the best

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Wario land was the best

Wario Moon or bust!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The wheels fell off a bit when most companies realized most of the US doesn't have the infrastructure for cloud/streamed gaming, yes. Sony's PS4 offerings work just fine in that regard, but it wouldn't be the case if it wasn't a "mere" feature of the PS4's network infrastructure at-large.

The Shinra system fell through due to a lack of investment too, AFAIK. :(

Gitro
May 29, 2013
In Rebel Galaxy there are randomly generated distress beacons you can come across as you're flying around. Sometimes they're traps, sometimes they're civilian ships being harassed by pirates. You help them out, they give you some money and the civilian faction likes you more. You can also trade goods with ships in flight, usually, as far as I can tell, for a pretty good price. I'm almost certain that doing so (rightfully) puts whatever you traded into their cargo hold. You can then threaten to murder them if they don't drop all their cargo.

So you rock up, save some dude, get paid, sell some of your stuff at an exorbitant markup and threaten them to get it back plus whatever else they were carrying, and at the end of it their faction likes you more.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

QuietLion posted:

I love that your companions in Fallout 4 have unique reactions to you jumping off of buildings, cannibalizing corpses, ect. I love it even more that Dogmeat could not give less of a poo poo about it, and is just ecstatic to be there with you.

These don't always work, but sometimes they're scarily perfect. Once I was exploring a skyscraper ruin with one of my companions, think it was Piper. My companion was off doing their own thing as they're wont to do, and I took a misstep and fell a couple stories. I hit the ground a took damage, and heard Piper shout nervously from the other room something like "...Everything okay over there Blue?" Doesn't seem like a big deal, but the timing and delivery felt perfect, like how a real person would react if they were scavenging through an old building and heard what sounded like their friend crashing through some rubble.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GWBBQ posted:

The novelty of being able to destroy nearly everything in the game is awesome. When I got the Death By Committee mission (assassinate 6 people at the EDF economic summit,) I had already perfected the demolition mission at the construction site and was able to drop the crown of the building with a few shots of the nano rifle without being spotted because all the damage was several floors above them until the whole building collapses.

I just launched a couple of thermobaric rockets into the meeting room. :black101:

The level of destruction in Guerrilla is just great. I can't think of any other game where a normal and acceptable course of events to take down an enemy barracks with a bunch of allies is to load up your buddies into a stolen enemy APC, ramp off a berm next to the enemy base, crash through the base's exterior wall in a shower of debris, land on a bunker guarding the base's interior, smash through that as your APC lands, killing the bunker's gunner in the process, and getting out of the APC in the ruins of a bunker that now has an APC in the middle of it.

The APC was still in good enough shape after taking out the barracks that I reversed it back through the bunker and base wall to drive off to my next target.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I didn't play Red Faction Guerilla, but wasn't it panned by reviewers and gamers compared to the original Red Faction games on the PS2?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Well those people were loving stupid.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I didn't play Red Faction Guerilla, but wasn't it panned by reviewers and gamers compared to the original Red Faction games on the PS2?

You're probably thinking of Red Faction Armageddon, the sequel which ditched the open world destruction for corridor shooting with annoying bug enemies.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It was entirely different than those so it may have been but how about this: who cares, it's a fun game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I hope not because red faction 1 was poo poo.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It appears to have a metascore of 85/82 for console/pc with a user score of 8.1/7.5, so no not really.

Then again, there are people who thought a certain 8.8 was such a disgustingly low score it's insulting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Veib posted:

It appears to have a metascore of 85/82 for console/pc with a user score of 8.1/7.5, so no not really.

Then again, there are people who thought a certain 8.8 was such a disgustingly low score it's insulting.

I think part of it may have been that people were expecting a straightforward action shooter game. In Guerrilla, you explicitly want to avoid head-on attacks and protracted firefights. Guns hurt, you don't have much health, you don't carry much ammunition, the EDF has limitless manpower and equipment, the EDF sends more and more reinforcements and heavier weapons the longer a fight goes on, and it takes a lot of ordnance to take down big targets or the EDF's heavy hardware.

The game strongly encourages you to use hit and run tactics even in the first sector. You are going to lose sooner or later if you try to stand and fight, even with endgame weapons and upgrades. This is one of the main sources of difficulty in a lot of the side missions: you have to fight your way into the target building to free prisoners, but you also want to get in and out fast because there will always be more reinforcements and the longer you take the worse the situation will get.

I can see this surprising and upsetting people expecting to be a one-man army like in most games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In Dead Rising 2: Off the Record when you encounter the new final boss and they start explaining their evil plan Frank West pulls a chair over and sits down while they talk because he knows this poo poo is gonna take awhile.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

No, red faction armageddon was panned for not being like red faction guerilla and rightfully so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Gestalt Intellect posted:

No, red faction armageddon was panned for not being like red faction guerilla and rightfully so

RFG was a treasure