Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I love that they refuse to believe Beer's e-mails are real. I wonder how they can reject reality so easily.

These are like the same type of people who don't believe dinosaurs existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Codependent Poster posted:

I love that they refuse to believe Beer's e-mails are real.

same. by doing so they admit that the contents are insanely embarrassing for cig.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Star Citizen - Alpha 2.0 Million Mile High Club

quote:

I recorded a quick tour of the upcoming Million Mile High Club. A backer reward from the original 2012 Kickstarter Campaign for Star Citizen. This is an exclusive members only location that will be part of the persistent universe. Members are players who backed SC by purchasing a $10K USD Commander's package. In addition to receiving ships and other backer rewards, the Million Mile High Club was part of the "thank you" for the pledge package.

While these players contributed a whopping amount and have earned the right to exclusive use of this location, they're actually being quite generous. They've formed an organization through which others can join and be granted access. The location will support 100 simultaneous users which is a very nice location for virtual meetings and parties. CIG is also working on other opportunities to win permanent access to the location. We'll have to stay tuned for more on those options.

Even though I'm certainly not a member, I'm fine with areas such as these as backer rewards. It's purely cosmetic but provides additional RP elements to the game. In ArcheAge, our guild always had official meeting by having our characters go to the guildhall in game. We'd gather up in groups and sail through the PVP infested waters to reach our little island. The officers would sit at a particular table while conducting the meeting. It was good RP fun. I suspect organizations who have access to the MMHC will do the same.

One of the reasons this location has been designed now, is that it was used to develop their new streamlined pipeline and methodology for generating content. The concepts used here, will serve the development of future locations. It's similar to why we'll be seeing locations in Nyx before another location is completed in Stanton. Building out Nyx was another test-bed for their updated modular design processes. All combined, the recent changes to CIG team structures, as well the improved design and development pipeline, will support their efforts to push out more content faster. Win-win in my book!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgpULalOuOc

Voice Over Corrections:
  • CIG was raising funds on an independent website prior to initiating their KickStarter campaign
  • In total, they were seeking 2 million in crowdfunding
P.S. on Dec 19th.

It seems this post was linked on Massively. I haven't been linked on Massively since the days of Shawn and Rubi, and I was a seriously hardcore MMO player. I'm flattered by the link unfortunately, it never ceases to amaze me how much of a negative lightening rod Star Citizen remains. I find the blatant ignorance in the comments section loving appalling. Other publishers take 4 to 5 years to build new games. Some require 2 to 3 years to build expansions where they're reusing high percentages of the assets. And here is CIG using nextgen technology and an ambitious scope to build not one BUT TWO TRIPLE A TITLES and somehow 3 years is too long??? BOI STOP.

I won't bother wading into the BS. I don't know why anyone who's not interested in SC cares how other people spend their money. I've seen people drop what we're pledging to build this game on bottles of wine, shoes, handbags - designer this, that or some other poo poo. Those things don't appeal to me but I standby someone else's right to do as they please, as fiercely as I defend my right to do the same! I don't define myself by how others choose to spend their time or money and certainly, no one else is defined by how I spend mine. Why do you care so much???

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
I am one of the best videogamers in the world without a shadow of a doubt and always have been since I was a very small walrus and I know a fake spaceship scam when I see it.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I like how the article keeps reiterating how much they respect William Usher but then imply that he might have completely made up his conversation with Swofford. These people are incapable of thinking a thought through to its conclusion.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 8, 2016

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
There is something fishy in Sandi-land.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
I am one of the best refund-acquirers in the world beyond a shadow of a doubt and always have been since I woke up from the matrix and I know I'm buying back in to grief citizens in the PU if this ever gets released.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Beer, did you email from an address that has identifying information? If not, you can at least show one of the headers as proof that communication was had at the times that are stated in the emails.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Bootcha posted:

:agreed: even though you're probably talking about poo poo I don't know about.

The fact that that dolvak and company would choose to escalate this further makes me think there are some freak-outs involved behind the curtain . But I'm biased towards the comedy option so

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So they don't have any proof that it's not real. But they prefer to assume that it isn't. This entire article amounts to "Nuh-uh!"

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Sarsapariller posted:

So they don't have any proof that it's not real. But they prefer to assume that it isn't. This entire article amounts to "Nuh-uh!"

Don't you see they owe it to the community

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
A Hahahahahahah Dolvak you are such a cum guzzler for the Roberts. Get your head out of your rear end with this "journalism" bullshit.

Jesus I've read better reporting and fact finding in 2nd grader news pieces.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

A Neurotic Jew posted:

The fact that that dolvak and company would choose to escalate this further makes me think there are some freak-outs involved behind the curtain . But I'm biased towards the comedy option so

Certain of it. There's a lot of bluff in their three points: "it doesn't matter, it's not real, they can do what they want" each more desperate than the last.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Agent_Mothman is always good for a laugh.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zvjan/how_far_back_are_cs_tickets_delayed_right_now/cypexxy

Integral seems a bit upset.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zvjan/how_far_back_are_cs_tickets_delayed_right_now/cypidqa

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Ya know, I always thought Derek Smart was the Lucifer of the Star Citizen community, but more and more I think Beer is actually a better analogue.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Beer is the hero Star Citizen both needed and deserved. Hail Beer.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

I love that they refuse to believe Beer's e-mails are real. I wonder how they can reject reality so easily.

I used to hang out in a justin.tv "Truth" channel for kicks, and Star Citizen cultists are even more impervious to reason than most "9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB" types, which is astounding.

The truthers didn't enjoy me asking about chemtrail specifics and laughing at David Icke, but they never banned me and some of them even came around on some bullshit.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Jesus Christ this community is going to implode so violently some day, no matter what happens or doesn't happen with the 'game'

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Ya know, I always thought Derek Smart was the Lucifer of the Star Citizen community, but more and more I think Beer is actually a better analogue.

I read your transcripts, Beer. I read your God damned transcripts. How could you betray us like this by not liking the path of a video games development is taking (AKA high-treason).

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Without, like, the torrent of everything else, Occam's razor would suggest that "These emails are faked" is more likely than "a company with 100 million in funding has hired someone this heroically incompetent to be their VP of marketing". It reads as poorly written satire.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Bootcha posted:

Dude, no reason to bring her vagina into this

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
hey cool, an example of the article informing its readers as intended.

this person probably never would have seen the article if Dolvak didn't start drawing attention to it. Good work guys :thumbsup:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

:stare:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zvjan/how_far_back_are_cs_tickets_delayed_right_now/cypicf6

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just read like the last 600 posts and the only thing I took away is backers are super duper butt hurt about beer

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

The sexist harassment

Like the dudes that like her shoes

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A Neurotic Jew posted:

hey cool, an example of the article informing its readers as intended.

this person probably never would have seen the article if Dolvak didn't start drawing attention to it. Good work guys :thumbsup:

That guy doesn't get how it works. Reddit doesn't ban you for consorting with Derek Smart, because the subreddit wants to be open to all people no matter what their opinion is on the game.

No, if you cross CIG, redditors will just declare you an un-person and forget everything of value you ever contributed, and downvote all your comments so nobody can see them, and the mods of the sub will publish articles about your treatment implying that you're just making it all up, and you will be personally attacked and hounded across all of the other subs by lunatics who will even spend money to follow you to your original forum.

Open and inclusive. Something Awful needs to get with the times.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

Jesus Christ this community is going to implode so violently some day, no matter what happens or doesn't happen with the 'game'

I fear you are right, they will end up as splinter cells fighting each other to prove their purity. Make no mistake, they need Derek and Beer to maintain their worldview, and they will need more and more because they can't keep up with reality.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

ewe2 posted:

I fear you are right, they will end up as splinter cells fighting each other to prove their purity. Make no mistake, they need Derek and Beer to maintain their worldview, and they will need more and more because they can't keep up with reality.

My prediction is that poor Illectro's gonna be the next big target if he keeps making the mistake of bringing it up.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

spacetoaster posted:

Hey guys.

Illfonic wrote a letter.

Check it out:

https://1496006.content.nlgrid.com/...mswZlE9PQ%3D%3D

*EDIT* Thanks to LANDO for pointing this letter out to me! I know it's a stressful environment but at least they pay you!

Am I overthinking it, or am I seeing a massive subtext to it? Most of the sentences are complex, but there are these two terse sentences in the first paragraph:

Revival is funded primarily off of company revenue.
This fuels our ability to make the game.

They break up the tempo of the reading.

Mostly an excuse to post Gary Oldman again, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt1W0F0yObg
I feel like there is a similar tempo there - emphasizing a truth, using a persuasive argument. Which is weird because, on their own, they seem to be factual statements as is. For example, their opposites would be

Revival is funded primarily not off of company revenue
(This funding) does not fuel our ability to make the game

Weird, right? Of course funding fuels the ability to make the game, and of course funding is off of company revenue. But what if we did this -

Unlike Star Citizen, Revival is funded primarily off of company revenue.
Unlike Star Citizen, this fuels our ability to make the game.

Makes it a more complex sentence, fits the flow of the paragraph better. I'm not a security analyst (tm), I just write a lot. But those bits stood out to me.

The second paragraph (to my read) also has a lot of these passive aggressive digs. I mean yeah, standard boiler plate 'we're good with your money', but their focus is interesting.

We dont have expensive offices
Spend money in the studio on things that really dont have any impact on the game itself
The money we use will be always be applied to directly to promoting/developing the game

To me, that whole note reads as a big middle finger to CIG :v:

edit: Oh hey, they seem to agree :v:

Loel fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 8, 2016

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

There will be suicides and I'm ok with that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A Neurotic Jew posted:

yyyyeeeeesssssss

http://imperialnews.network/2016/01/drama-the-responsening/

quote:

Except that there’s no legitimate proof that such a conversation happened.
There is zero evidence supporting this conversation ever happened or at least it is not cited in the article.
I might be wrong but as far as I can tell no hard evidence is presented that this conversation ever took place with the alleged parties.
Beer4bama concerned citizens demand you post your long-form email headers.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Beer, did you email from an address that has identifying information? If not, you can at least show one of the headers as proof that communication was had at the times that are stated in the emails.

OK, I read up on email headers, and it looks like there should maybe be some signature in there to prove that the emails came from CIG. hosed if I know how to verify that though.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

HiHo ChiRho posted:

They will not believe any proof offered, real or fake

They only believe the word of cig and Chris roberts, who has consistently missed deadlines and has constantly lied about the state of the game.

Maybe if we start lying about poo poo and making stuff up they'll believe us

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

If it's possible for a handful of people to monopolize the customer support of a company with a claimed one million plus customers, its customer support is hosed up beyond repair.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zvjan/how_far_back_are_cs_tickets_delayed_right_now/cypbtq9

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

LowellDND posted:

Am I overthinking it, or am I seeing a massive subtext to it? Most of the sentences are complex, but there are these two terse sentences in the first paragraph:

Revival is funded primarily off of company revenue.
This fuels our ability to make the game.

They break up the tempo of the reading.

Mostly an excuse to post Gary Oldman again, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt1W0F0yObg
I feel like there is a similar tempo there - emphasizing a truth, using a persuasive argument. Which is weird because, on their own, they seem to be factual statements as is. For example, their opposites would be

Revival is funded primarily not off of company revenue
(This funding) does not fuel our ability to make the game

Weird, right? Of course funding fuels the ability to make the game, and of course funding is off of company revenue. But what if we did this -

Unlike Star Citizen, Revival is funded primarily off of company revenue.
Unlike Star Citizen, this fuels our ability to make the game.

Makes it a more complex sentence, fits the flow of the paragraph better. I'm not a security analyst (tm), I just write a lot. But those bits stood out to me.

The second paragraph (to my read) also has a lot of these passive aggressive digs. I mean yeah, standard boiler plate 'we're good with your money', but their focus is interesting.

We dont have expensive offices
Spend money in the studio on things that really dont have any impact on the game itself
The money we use will be always be applied to directly to promoting/developing the game

To me, that whole note reads as a big middle finger to CIG :v:

i actually think you're right. it really does read as the closest thing to a dig on CIG that they could post and not look bad for blatantly trashing an employer.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Beer should just forward the email to whoever wants to write an article about it next. You can't really edit an email chain

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

redwalrus posted:

Well, as Nicholas said:
~$34,000.00

* the flat iron desks are the only semi functional furniture on here (semi, because they make pretty poor office desks)
** only items that could individually identified
*** for pricing on the aviator chairs i assumed they went with the nicest leather because who cares about backers money
**** thats almost definitely an RH couch in the last gif but i can't identify it

Regarding these numbers. the Santa Monica walk through that Ben did shows theres at least 10 or so more of the desks in addition to the developer gulag with the original 8. also, they have at least 3 of those airplane desks, unless they are constantly clearing it off and moving it into whatever room they happen to be filming in that day (they arent).

I wish I could get access to the million mile high club because I have the feeling they would use 3d models of that awful poo poo in there

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's funny about the INN thing is that it's a clickbait article responding to a clickbait article, where the author ends the whole thing with a "why are we even bothering talking about this?" tone.

It's just so hard to not take it as completely hypocritical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
The INN article's closing argument's three point counter with "Why does it matter" as the first one is the most idiotic thing I've ever seen from anyone trying to pretend they're a journalist while trying to critique an actual journalist. It's a most limp and meaningless argument that betrays that these people have not even remotely have an interest in doing something that isn't fastening their lips to CIG's collective rump and making kissy noises. If this was Dolvak's attempts to regain any sort of community credibility after running shrieking into the night from Derek Smart it smacks so utterly of his personal inabilities and someone should ram his news-ship off the launch platform whenever he tries to use it should we all be sucked into an alternate reality where this game is actually released and he's able to fly it. Articles written by journalists are done so on the relevancy of the subject to its readership. This includes matters between two parties that you would think were private but obviously aren't because one side has published the discourse. Only an idiot tries for that argument. Only these idiots have tried for this argument.

The demanding for proof/citation on a quote from David Swafford talking to the writer is so unbelievably inane. If a person gives you a quote to use in your article you don't need to cite evidence it happened anywhere because the quote is not in dispute simply because there is an implicit understanding between the source and reporter that yes they're going to quote you. If the reporter claims he did it and the person he quotes goes "No I didn't" then you have a problem, so people who actually know how to write a motherfucking news article tend to avoid doing that sort of "making poo poo up" thing unless they have some measure of wriggle room to save their assholes. Direct quoting doesn't leave much wriggle room. If you don't believe the quote happened (and what a ridiculously dull quote to dispute I gotta say) send off an email to the named source before you go "Well honestly we don't know if this is a real quote" because it makes you look like a gigantic clown.

If we applied their logic to their own article how am I supposed to believe they spoke to anyone? "Oh yeah when I'm verbally fellating CIG endlessly in my lovely little corner of the internet sometimes I like to think they look over at me and nod approvingly in my direction so I'm a pretty reliable source, not this guy who has been writing articles for a very long time"

On the second point, if they think the images and pastebin are faked goddamn prove it. A gut feeling is not proof. A personal opinion on how someone behaves is not proof. That it could be faked is still not proof. If the emails are fake then it should be a simple matter for CIG to counter and they have not even when contacted by a journalist asking about it. Posting faked logs could get Beer in so much trouble on so many levels it would be a clusterfuck that would open the door for CIG to ruin his life and yet absolutely nothing has happened. Their existence has been shown with proof, it is now up to people to show how they aren't real and it's so easy to do yet no one seems to be doing it for some really strange reason.

The final "problem" isn't even in dispute. The original article even says that CIG can do what they want. That's not even a loving problem with the article it's the closing goddamn remark.

Christ all-mighty these awkward clusterfucks didn't learn from trying to lecture down to Derek Smart and treat him like some guy they could just scare off the internet, and are now trying to tell someone else how to do their job they do every day. Whether or not the writer is one you might personally enjoy reading is irrelevant, the guy holds himself to proper standards (he corrects some mistakes in his original article) and the same can't be said of a guy who wiped his Reddit history after telling everyone he had nothing to hide.

• Locked thread