Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sudo apt-get remove user-* --purge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pram posted:

hello there, i am here for my sys admin lecture as directed by the sudo warning

*incredibly fat old guy w/ a huge beard sitting in front of a teletype console sighs deeply and swivels his ancient chair around*

found him

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

found him

beard isn't grey tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

The renowned 'armpit fern'

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you ever read the bastard operator from hell? well *cough cough* that was me :twisted:
        /

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

you ever read the bastard operator from hell? well *cough cough* that was me :twisted:
        /

there u go

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
just the beard has probably forgotten more linux than i'll ever know

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pram posted:

*incredibly fat old guy w/ a huge beard sitting in front of a teletype console sighs deeply and draws his katana*

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
pseudo, a command that pretends it's done the dangerous thing you asked for but really hasn't

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soricidus posted:

pseudo, a command that pretends it's done the dangerous thing you asked for but really hasn't

powershell actually has this

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i guess it's just a generalization of --dry-run in a bunch of linux things

only helps if you think to use it, so dd dude would still be hosed

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

carry on then posted:

powershell actually has this

public service announcement:

the level of fail otpc (on this pee cee) is coming from this tool

it is not related to the terminal retardation of the user

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

carry on then posted:

what's it like in 1997

it's p nice

you wouldn't believe how fast computers are

more 1997: I installed NetBSD 7, new as of October 2015, on this SPARCstation 20/61 and ran startx. it started up twm and a couple of xterm instances and xclock and that's it

it was amazing just how much faster it felt than an RPi or RPi2 with stock Raspbian despite having a fraction the raw performance

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

eschaton it is good to see you come to your senses and use an actually-good unix

just imagine the world that could have been, if apple had followed through on solaris licensing

ew, Solaris, I was actually using SunOS

I just booted the machine as I received it once to see what it had on it before

(answer: Sun internal stuff, holy poo poo)

NetBSD would be better if it was atop Mach, maybe someone has posted Darwin to SPARC…

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
sparcstations and sparc ultra workstations are cool and good. i have to restrain myself from saving them when i see one sitting in the e-waste.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Barnyard Protein posted:

sparcstations and sparc ultra workstations are cool and good. i have to restrain myself from saving them when i see one sitting in the e-waste.

you should stop restraining yourself they are pro tier UNIX tools

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
the part of my life where i hoard ancient proprietary unix workstations is over. probably one IPX or one SS2 wouldn't cause a relapse, but i can't risk it. i just say the lords prayer and move on.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the ipx and the ss2 were bargain basement hardware when they were new

if you're gonna keep old poo poo in your house get a SS20 or a Ultra2 or something

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

you should stop restraining yourself they are pro tier UNIX tools

compared to anyone who really likes them, who is just a scrub tier unix tool

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

so i have fedora dual boot on my laptop now, and i'm finding that i can't get through 15 minutes of linux before i need the terminal open for some reason

also loving nvidia optimus bumblee bullshit solution

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
lol you have a laptop with hybrid graphics

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Apocadall posted:

so i have fedora dual boot on my laptop now, and i'm finding that i can't get through 15 minutes of linux before i need the terminal open for some reason

also loving nvidia optimus bumblee bullshit solution

the terminal is the main linux user interface. having it open constantly is not a problem, it's a sign that you're doing things correctly.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

*incredibly fat old guy w/ a huge beard sitting in front of a teletype console sighs deeply and swivels his ancient chair around*

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

eschaton posted:

it's p nice

you wouldn't believe how fast computers are

more 1997: I installed NetBSD 7, new as of October 2015, on this SPARCstation 20/61 and ran startx. it started up twm and a couple of xterm instances and xclock and that's it

it was amazing just how much faster it felt than an RPi or RPi2 with stock Raspbian despite having a fraction the raw performance

the best thing about twm is how fast it is

literally if you just have twm and a couple of raw xterms instead of gnome-terminal, the raw blazing speed is glorious

although I'm kinda surprised that it didn't load xeyes as well

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Although it's probably the most user friendly solution, I think gnome is one of the worst things to put on a raspberry pi if you're gonna give it to a non-linux user. RPI is an awesome solution for so many things but running it as a desktop just convinces people that LInux is cheap and slow.

The only way I'd give a raspberry pi to my parents is if I leave it as a network device (like a backup target or a file share server). It's quiet, low-power and gets the job done.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

celeron 300a posted:

I think gnome is one of the worst things

hell, agreed!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

celeron 300a posted:

the best thing about twm is how fast it is

literally if you just have twm and a couple of raw xterms instead of gnome-terminal, the raw blazing speed is glorious

although I'm kinda surprised that it didn't load xeyes as well

i always liked ctwm back in the day

i do occasionally have to use a rpi for work, putting twm or ctwm on it is probably a pretty good idea

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there's a gnome tweak tool thing that turns off all gnome 3 animations and it does wonders for the system's responsiveness

gnome-terminal does take an entire 300ish milliseconds to start up oh the no

two-finger scroll in epiphany is pretty fucken smooth

battery life under linux isn't brilliant tbh but i mean i get 6 hrs of it if i'm not thrashing the cpu hard so i'll live with it until i finally figure out why the gently caress this udev rule to enable sata link power management doesn't take

i'mma go ahead and conclude that you're computer is a piece of poo poo op

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
most of my battery is consumed by processes i've left running in long forgotten tmux sessions

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

celeron 300a posted:

gnome is one of the worst things

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

fritz posted:

i always liked ctwm back in the day

i do occasionally have to use a rpi for work, putting twm or ctwm on it is probably a pretty good idea

to be honest, I would rather shoot myself than use twm in any serious context

maybe use icewm or fvwm instead? or windowmaker?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol artsd

this screenshot has to be ancient

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
anyone remember conky????

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

anyone remember conky????

conky's bad linux day

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

lol @ using a raspberry pi for anything desktop-related.

I have two at home, one is running a caching DNS & nginx for sinkholing about 2500 ad domains in my LAN and https-reverse proxying another rpi that is serving as a surveillance camera server (which does not support https).

needs very suited for less than a hundred bucks worth of hardware & minimal electricity draw.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

oh ya desktop linux is a pointless chore.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

computer toucher posted:

lol @ using a raspberry pi for anything desktop-related.

I have two at home, one is running a caching DNS & nginx for sinkholing about 2500 ad domains in my LAN and https-reverse proxying another rpi that is serving as a surveillance camera server (which does not support https).

needs very suited for less than a hundred bucks worth of hardware & minimal electricity draw.

I use it to interactively debug hardware and in general I'd rather have a few xterms than a few consoles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

fritz posted:

I use it to interactively debug hardware and in general I'd rather have a few xterms than a few consoles

pfft edge case