Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Scruffpuff posted:

What would he say? His ranting diatribe against the evil internets was the final-wake up call for me, despite the fact that I had been watching this project with one eyebrow raised for a while. I thought Chris wasn't too bad at first, particularly when he promoted Elite: Dangerous on one of this updates (really a completely different type of game anyway), but as the project timeline starts to converge with the burn rate, he started getting more and more unhinged. Over the years his interviews with media outlets got more and more vague.

It really does seem, if you read his updates in chronological order, that the longer this project goes on, the farther is gets from completion. And that has to be getting to him, on some level. It's all :lol: in here, and with good reason, but there's no way that guy doesn't know exactly how hosed he is. Thus his 8-hour penned attack letter on all haters (meaning Derek Smart and his alts). If anything, as unprofessional as Sandi's response to Beer was, and as much as it proves she is not qualified to hold the position she does, in my view, she's still more qualified than Chris is. God knows what Chris would have written if that email correspondence had been his to resolve.

Someone earlier in the thread likened CIG to Amy's Baking Company, and after reviewing it, it's a really apt comparison to make. If you put two equally unqualified people in a position of authority, with a dash of nepotism that makes absolutely certain that there can be no corrective actions to help make course corrections, then this is what you get. It's not really a publically-funded company; it's a family-run enterprise relying on public funds to sustain it. I don't feel bad for the 4 or 5 people at the top making this the shitshow that it is, but I feel pretty bad for almost everyone else working there.

No matter what goes wrong, as long as you haven't spent money on this crap, you can just sit back and watch as it crumbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

alf_pogs posted:

i never heard an honest man use the word "legit"

Hey!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

This gif is just way to spooky for me. Also, what happened to Mr. Skeltal's doot doot trumpet?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

EminusSleepus posted:

Beer you lying bastard - said by this article lol

Hahaha, I guess Dolvak got caught in his own lie. He named Gabriel in the original release draft of this article but now redacted the name so it makes Usher look like he made up some bullshit. I'm guessing he probably didn't contact Huckaby about confirmation.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Daztek posted:

We're all Derek Smart down here.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sorry, was a quote from carnivale.

best thing about the sandi emails is how easy it seemed to be for beer to get her to continue talking. like, theyre all complaining about how the system is clogged up with these pointless rambly emails, but it started as a genuine request for info and turned into email meltdown almost entirely without provocation. all beer says is "this is an interesting conversation" and boom, 5 or 6 hundred insane words.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lowtax posted:

Radium now codes for the US Government and spends his spare time repairing pinball machines.

I am not joking.

We're gonna lose the cyber war so bad

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
:five:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lowtax posted:

Radium now codes for the US Government and spends his spare time repairing pinball machines.

I am not joking.

Hello Radium

Now that you're finished with Obamacare how 'bout you do a couple days' work over here

You know you owe it to the Taxman

I would like to be able to cite reddit posts without having to bother with paint tia

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

alf_pogs posted:

sorry, was a quote from carnivale.

best thing about the sandi emails is how easy it seemed to be for beer to get her to continue talking. like, theyre all complaining about how the system is clogged up with these pointless rambly emails, but it started as a genuine request for info and turned into email meltdown almost entirely without provocation. all beer says is "this is an interesting conversation" and boom, 5 or 6 hundred insane words.

That tells me that all this crap is at the forefront of her (and presumably Chris's) mind at all times, to the degree that it's bursting to get out. What's funny to me is that if they just decided to ignore the evil internets for just a while, recall the thought police, knuckle down on the game, and learned how to say "no comment", much of this humor would evaporate. The very situation they're in was created specifically by their attempts to prevent the very situation they're in. It's so awesome.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Who dares say Dolvak's not a journalist

Not Dolvak, that's for sure

Reading this makes me want to reach out to my actual journalist friends at an actual legitimate news agency and beg (or bribe with rare whiskey) that they look into and report on the hilarity that is star citizen.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

2DCAT posted:

Reading this makes me want to reach out to my actual journalist friends at an actual legitimate news agency and beg (or bribe with rare whiskey) that they look into and report on the hilarity that is star citizen.

You really think you got enough whiskey?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

No matter what goes wrong, as long as you haven't spent money on this crap, you can just sit back and watch as it crumbles.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely in :munch: mode. If a leader has confidence in their project, it's usually not indicated by long emails telling you how hard they work and how awesome they are.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

2DCAT posted:

Or tell your friends that you know a guy named Octopode

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Reddit and RSI and all those other crazy person sites that hate us should save themselves some time and instead of writing millions of billion-word diatribes, simply post this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat

Lowtax posted:

Derek was never able to code a Space Rape Barn, which is one of the many reasons he's jealous of SC because they are succeeding where he failed.

I dunno....

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Lowtax posted:

Reddit and RSI and all those other crazy person sites that hate us should save themselves some time and instead of writing millions of billion-word diatribes, simply post this:

You're spending too much....time writing long diatribe emails, you will regret this (sandi)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Huh. So CIG pulled the plug on them earlier than anticipated.

BAM! When I said that back when it went down, few believed me. There you go.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Floridiot posted:

Hi thread,

I have heard about this game and it must be pretty popular since it has a huge thread page count. I have a couple questions:

1) Is this game in Early Access or Beta still? If so, when is the release date for the full game?
2) Will this be released on PS4, Xbone, or 3ds?
3) I see a lot of Madden gifs, does it have a football in space minigame? Like Blitzball in FFX?
4) Can I donate to the developer for special items? Or donate money for them to make a full release Blitzball game?

Thank in advance.

1) yes, November 2014
2) yes
3) yes
4) yes

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

WOW. I don't even. These guys.

ps: Remember, 30 pages ago when I said that doing a pastebin dump would lead to accusations of the content being manipulated? Right.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Daztek posted:

Tbf, Derek is actually here to defend himself.

So is Sandi. Hi Sandi! How was your last vacation?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Who dares say Dolvak's not a journalist

Not Dolvak, that's for sure

He's not entirely wrong in regard to what it takes to be a journalist since a lot of journalists I respect kind of fell into the job by accident. But the thing about these journalists is that they learned from others how to do it and absolutely did not lecture other journalists on subjects they themselves have absolutely no clue about. Seriously, if your chief point is "Ugh why is this news?!" when you're responding to an article then you're on par with the average drooling stool that is compelled to file a comment every page of a news site for every single article and editorial they read. The ink used to print newspapers has more credibility in media than someone like that.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I keep reading that Beer and Bluestreak were "toxic" and got banned because of their behaviour on the CIG forum, yet missing from this is actual examples of toxicity. If they were going around being insulting and rude surely there'd be screengrabs, like there are of the many insane things Star Citizen fans have said and done, but...nothing.

Bluestreak are you still discussing SC on your show? I keep meaning to listen in but my memory is like a sieve. Also I listened to that DSmart special on my tablet way back and now it starts playing whenever I plug in headphones so that's nice.

D_Smart posted:

WOW. I don't even. These guys.

ps: Remember, 30 pages ago when I said that doing a pastebin dump would lead to accusations of the content being manipulated? Right.

But they said about the JPEGs, Dezza. Beer could invite them all round his house and let them browse through his Inbox and they'd still claim it was fake and gay.

Deriding them as fake is funny though. They cannot accept that their mighty spaceship gods would say such crazy poo poo. Those who aren't irredeemably stupid will - like the Crobber letter - see it as a huge warning sign.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 8, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

That tells me that all this crap is at the forefront of her (and presumably Chris's) mind at all times, to the degree that it's bursting to get out. What's funny to me is that if they just decided to ignore the evil internets for just a while, recall the thought police, knuckle down on the game, and learned how to say "no comment", much of this humor would evaporate.

The thread lost interest in planned features for the game a while ago, it's all :words:, seems to me the CIG founders have also shifted to being more interested in what people laughing at the game think than creating the game. It's only natural Imperial News Network would follow and focus on the critics too. 2.0 has been out for a while and it's technically promising for a starship crash simulator but pretty lovely for everything else.

Even the funny gifs are harder to find as there just aren't as many people uploading "gameplay" videos anymore. I wonder how far off the next patch is.

AP fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 8, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Darkpriest667 posted:

Depends on the company, I worked for a company as an investigator in Texas from 2004 until 2008 and we billed 800 a day plus expenses with a one day minimum. We were pretty thorough. I don't know what the rate in L.A. is but I bet it has to be something comparable because the liability insurance and license fees are ridiculous. Especially considering how anti-gun California is.

Sounds about right. According to the last legal bill I received from my CA attorneys, the PI firm they use averaged $1,200 per day. I don't know if it includes (probably) expenses since the bill doesn't have that breakdown since it's just a line item (e.g. like "courier services")

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ash1138 posted:

Wait I thought the office with the bars on the windows was in Germany. I sure hope it's actually in California...

It's the new LA office. That's where all this RH furniture is located.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ewe2 posted:

Who was it who said that a pastebin would be used to cast doubt on the veracity of the emails? Spot on. Good times, good times.

edit: it also indicates that they're seriously worried and are mounting what they hope is successful counter-propaganda. Truly a gift that keeps giving :allears:

That would be me.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

There is something fishy in Sandi-land.

Yeah. I've been briefed last night.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

redwalrus posted:

Or perhaps they're "butt-hurt" that they bought digital jpeg ideas for $2,500 that were never actually created. Where would they provide feedback about this scam?

The irony being she's the world's best special snowflake ever since she was a little girl who's clearly butthurt writing insane replies to CS tickets as the VP of a 100mil+ company.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Ya know, I always thought Derek Smart was the Lucifer of the Star Citizen community, but more and more I think Beer is actually a better analogue.

They see him as a traitor since he was apparently part of the inner Sperg circle. Or something. Me on the other hand, was always the outsider, the bogeyman who seemingly jumped out of a box in July and started raising hell in their pudding.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
If Sandi resigns immediately following the last motion capture shoot with a famous person can we blame Beer for spoiling the end of Around the Verse series 2?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Berious posted:

The irony being she's the world's best special snowflake ever since she was a little girl who's clearly butthurt writing insane replies to CS tickets as the VP of a 100mil+ company.

Why is the VP of marketing sending emails to random people about random poo poo?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

AP posted:

2.0 has been out for a while and it's technically promising for a starship crash simulator but pretty lovely for everything else.

2.0 is a substantial portion of the game, though; I have that on good authority. Maybe they misspelled "Star Demolition Derby"?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Scruffpuff posted:

That tells me that all this crap is at the forefront of her (and presumably Chris's) mind at all times, to the degree that it's bursting to get out. What's funny to me is that if they just decided to ignore the evil internets for just a while, recall the thought police, knuckle down on the game, and learned how to say "no comment", much of this humor would evaporate. The very situation they're in was created specifically by their attempts to prevent the very situation they're in. It's so awesome.

Good post. I think she's been looking to vent for a while and honestly believed that she could 'show beer the light' and either shut him up or turn him around. Now I don't know Sandi at all, but often the most outwardly confident people are also some of the most insecure people you will ever meet (not you though Derek), and her constant patting herself on the back and need to defend herself in a customer service email to a detractor of her game kind of points that way.

TLDR Beer is just a butt hurt special snowflake.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Sillybones posted:

Why is the VP of marketing sending emails to random people about random poo poo?

The answer depends on how you feel about Star Citizen.

Diehard supporter? She's more hands on than those distant execs at huge souless publishers and her involvement shows that she truly cares about Star Citizen, her employees and the community.

If you're not brain damaged, it's because she's a world class egomaniac who is utterly obsessed with the negative comments being made about her (doubt she gives a gently caress about the game, only how it makes her look) and cannot stop herself from sticking an oar in rather than letting the people who are paid to do the job deal with customer service issues.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

That guy doesn't get how it works. Reddit doesn't ban you for consorting with Derek Smart, because the subreddit wants to be open to all people no matter what their opinion is on the game.

No, if you cross CIG, redditors will just declare you an un-person and forget everything of value you ever contributed, and downvote all your comments so nobody can see them, and the mods of the sub will publish articles about your treatment implying that you're just making it all up, and you will be personally attacked and hounded across all of the other subs by lunatics who will even spend money to follow you to your original forum.

Open and inclusive. Something Awful needs to get with the times.

^this

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Scruffpuff posted:

2.0 is a substantial portion of the game, though; I have that on good authority. Maybe they misspelled "Star Demolition Derby"?

Star Demolition Derby actually sounds like a really fun idea for a game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

drat Dirty Ape posted:

often the most outwardly confident people are also some of the most insecure people you will ever meet (not you though Derek)

:golfclap:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

It's so good.

Somone earlier posted excerpts from the creepy sleaze at Reddit.com/dereksmart where they basically decided that since sandy saying the poo poo she said didn't make sense to them based on their understanding of her and CIG, they were going to believe it is a forgery.

That's pretty much it for them, that's the ballgame. Hitting the point of "well, I don't want to believe that this is true, since it would undermine what I've committed to believing, so I will simply deny that it is true" is a pretty major leap to take. It's denial, it's a capitulation, it's a very concrete deviation from real life into fantasy land.

Some of these poor lost souls will probably never truly accept that it was really Sandi. It will never truly click in their heads.

It's hard to despise somone who is that far gone, they're just hopelessly lost.

"You know what, forget it. Nevermind. I really am sorry. I won't bother you again."

There is clearly something deeply despicable and contemptible somewhere in the star citizen morass. It's there, you can smell it, you can feel that's it's just wrong, just fundamentally wrong, but it's slippery, it's hard to put your finger on.

The Shitizens themselves seem to vacillate between being pitiful and loathsome. Is it victim blaming? They're adults, they've gotten money the money they've wasted on this somehow, they aren't senile old folks or just plain being conned, they're enthusiastic participants in all this.

Some of them, the Reddit.com ones and the 'white knights' are pretty much the scum of the tame middle-class earth. But that still leaves an awful lot more who maybe just take their lead and don't know any better.

Anyway I don't really like any of them.

Sandy doesn't seem to have any particularly redeeming qualities. A narcissist and a hack, dime a dozen and got lucky, nothing else besides.

Croberts is harder to pin down. Is he cunning? Just a space cadet who happens to be kind of slick? Also a narcissist hack, but most don't build 105m dollar cult followings. Is he just in his own little world? Who knows.

I have a friend who doesn't follow any of this kind of drama and barely knows anything about star citizen, I showed him a picture of Ben lesnick and explained who he was and he sort of shuddered and said "he looks exactly how I expect a video game forum moderator to." Ben just seems like a specimen par excellence of the spergy loser Internet-power-having low-quality-person redditor/obsessed dork. He's got his dream job though, top of the heap in his own world and among his people. So whatever, wouldn't really be a freak show without freaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Good post. I think she's been looking to vent for a while and honestly believed that she could 'show beer the light' and either shut him up or turn him around. Now I don't know Sandi at all, but often the most outwardly confident people are also some of the most insecure people you will ever meet (not you though Derek), and her constant patting herself on the back and need to defend herself in a customer service email to a detractor of her game kind of points that way.

TLDR Beer is just a butt hurt special snowflake.

If that's the case, and it most likely is, then it makes it even worse for her. If she felt she could trust Beer with all this venting (which read more like something I'd expect to hear coming from her if I were sitting with her at a pub after work, over drinks, rather than using official company correspondence) then his making the exchange public is probably being interpreted by her as a serious betrayal. Of course, it isn't; a professional VP of marketing for a $100 million would know that (and not be in this situation in the first place). So now she's gonna be even more pissed.

• Locked thread