Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

The Ninth Layer posted:

KoB that vote doesn't look any different from any of a million other jokey early day 1 votes to me. His tone is jokey but his reason for voting is clear enough. I'm not sure that the hypothetical situation you're describing would keep him from real scrutiny (for example, if he sat on the vote for three days but didn't push tuckfard), and I have trouble picturing he made his vote planning for a situation like that either.

I think scum often subconsciously are driven to temper their stances or present themselves in an ambiguous way because they know rationally that their case isn't a good one. Fundamentally, town are playing an emotional game, and scum are playing a rational game, and those very difference mindsets lead to all the markers that we look for when making reads. It's not a slam dunk case but hell it's day one and I want a vote out :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

King of Bleh posted:

I think scum often subconsciously are driven to temper their stances or present themselves in an ambiguous way because they know rationally that their case isn't a good one. Fundamentally, town are playing an emotional game, and scum are playing a rational game, and those very difference mindsets lead to all the markers that we look for when making reads. It's not a slam dunk case but hell it's day one and I want a vote out :shrug:

The fact that he a) ignored me when I called him out and then b) got all snippy and condescending-dismissive as his reaction also rubbed me the wrong way. I find that town tend to (again, emotional game!) get indignant when a weak case is made against them, whereas scum (rationally!) just ignore it or dismiss it.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Just so nobody is confused, I launched an attack at one of you that will be processed at the end of the day. It will deduct HP from you unless you have blocked it or have resists or something. I was a little bummed that I have to wait until Monday, but those are the breaks.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Just so nobody is confused, I launched an attack at one of you that will be processed at the end of the day. It will deduct HP from you unless you have blocked it or have resists or something. I was a little bummed that I have to wait until Monday, but those are the breaks.

uh, why

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

fits posted:

uh, why

Because I have a repeatable day-based attack.

Might as well use it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Might as well use it.

you have to be town because that is too dumb to be scum

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Ninth Layer posted:

His initial comment on Vimes was a joke, it didn't imply suspicion.

Your case amounts to "tuckfard doesn't have a serious suspicion and it's already been six whole hours!" Not that weird. If anything I think this case is weird, since it seems half of it is focused on a joke post.

I didn't get the sense that it was a joke post. It happens right after Vimes drops the second vote on Quandary and correlates with others jumping on that bandwagon. The post happens early in the game, but the intent is definitely to draw attention to Vimes. That and his other generally non-commital stances, which I quoted prior, give me bad vibes.

Might as well use it.

That seems hella dumb and self-destructive when we are literally only hours into a game that not everyone has checked into yet.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

SirSamVimes posted:

you have to be town because that is too dumb to be scum

For reals?????????

Are you actually crossing Moon off your list of suspects? If so, please elaborate.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

QuoProQuid posted:

For reals?????????

Are you actually crossing Moon off your list of suspects? If so, please elaborate.

I just can't imagine a scum player being reckless enough to announce that.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

To be fair, I doubt I will kill my target. I could tell you all who is getting blasted, but this way is so much more fun.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Although even if you aren't scum, you are actively sabotaging us so. ##vote welandedonthemoon

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

Although even if you aren't scum, you are actively sabotaging us so. ##vote welandedonthemoon

Seems unlikely scum would do it so openly and honestly, so I feel like effectively you're making excuses to vote town and not for the first time, even if the first was allegedly a "joke". Good enough for a starting punt imo ##vote ssv

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

SirSamVimes posted:

How do we know that Moon is telling the truth that he targeted someone?

How do we know that scum!Moon isn't making a gambit to get the exact reaction you make here?

Why are you dismissing a player when the game has been open less than a day?

Why are "too scum my to be scum" arguments bad nine out of ten times?

SirSamVimes posted:

Naaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. Let's not play this game. Let's scum hunt instead.

##vote: Vimes

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

oh hey the thread is open I didn't realize because I didn't get a PM. Catching up now.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

ughh I lost internet immediately after that post.

WeLandedOnTheMoon, I disagree that Vimes was being scummy in his Quandary vote when in the very same post as his vote he states if we actually did vote quandary the game is over.

SirSamVimes posted:

This post is trying to look like it's creating content, without any content in the post itself. Kind of scummy, unless there is more effort coming in the immediate future.
Yes, because trying to get players to drum up content for the earlygame is a scum move. Especially when merk's next post follows his own advice and analyzes a post. Made before your post, and you never revisit it. As someone who's done the same thing to drum up content early-game, I feel this is a disingenuous post.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Why is AnonymousNarcotics scum for having an issue with that post, when I basically made the same one earlier?

This is pretty dumb too, when I didn't like your original post. You never revisit your opinion on merk, but you use the post accusing him to defend another's position.

AnonymousNarcotic's post is also pretty dumb, but even worse because it was made with even more time between merk's analysis. I don't even think merk's analysis was that sharp, but it's telling for two people to jump on merk for 'non-contribution' without mentioning his actual attempt to contribute.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah, that's fine. SSV was just my jumping off point for this game. I think the way he responded to what was essentially a blank vote on him was dumb. Obviously nobody was voting him because he put down a vote on the thread king, because nobody would assume that he was legitimate in his original vote. Under that thought, going to that defense seemed like a weird thing.

I originally voted him because a second vote on a joke train seemed like an easy way to "jump in." I only became more interested after his defense posts.

I'm not married to the vote or anything. Obviously the game is early and there are plenty of other scummy people and posts in this thread. I targeted one of those people and will do damage to them at the end of the day. I won't say who that is, because then they could take counter measures, I assume.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
I miss anything important last night?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
e: wrong thread

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Putting aside the obvious question, why did you reveal this?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Merk made a post that was an attempt to be seen scum hunting without actually scum hunting.

I made a post where I was scum hunting.

Not the same.

Continues to not discuss the content merk generated or the content that merk himself gave, while pushing the position that merk was fluffing. That said,

The votes on me are bad. Ughhhh I hate when I actually put effort in and people then think I'm scummy. The last time I posted what was on my mind instead of just lurking I got turboed in the last few min before deadline... And I was the loving cop.

This feels like flailing. TNL rightly calls out how ridiculous AN's 'effort' was, and AN continues the toot the same horn. It's flailing to such a high degree that it gives me pause to vote AN.

SirSamVimes posted:

Puntification posted:

Seems unlikely scum would do it so openly and honestly, so I feel like effectively you're making excuses to vote town and not for the first time, even if the first was allegedly a "joke". Good enough for a starting punt imo ##vote ssv

This is dumb. Giving town wrong information about how a mechanic works and repeatedly using that mechanic to hurt town is definitely something I've seen scum do. Use of an ability is not something to ignore, hurting someone this early is iffy at best, pro-scum at worst.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

How do we know that Moon is telling the truth that he targeted someone?

How do we know that scum!Moon isn't making a gambit to get the exact reaction you make here?

Why are you dismissing a player when the game has been open less than a day?

Why are "too scum my to be scum" arguments bad nine out of ten times?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. Let's not play this game. Let's scum hunt instead.

This is a good post by QPQ and feels like active scum hunting.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Now that I'm caught up, I don't like Moon or AN much, but I dislike Vimes worse for reasons stated above.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

King of Bleh posted:

Putting aside the obvious question, why did you reveal this?

I have reasons that I would prefer to not get in to. If my hand is forced then I have no problem laying out the thought process in full, but it's a little early in the day for me to open it all up.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Quandary I really want to fight because I have a love of murder and I want to slay somebody. So please put me in so I can MURDER.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

I have reasons that I would prefer to not get in to. If my hand is forced then I have no problem laying out the thought process in full, but it's a little early in the day for me to open it all up.

If you're just going to say "Yeah, I'm going to probably actively sabotage my team because YOLO", you're going to have to lay out a little more explanation than "I have reasons okay?"

##vote WeLandedOnTheMoon!

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Lord of Hats posted:

If you're just going to say "Yeah, I'm going to probably actively sabotage my team because YOLO", you're going to have to lay out a little more explanation than "I have reasons okay?"

Lol every post you have made in this game is garbage.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hold on I have to actively sabotage the team some more.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hold on I have to actively sabotage the team some more.

"I am going to deal damage to a teammate at random, this is a good thing because ___________"

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Lord of Hats posted:

"I am going to deal damage to a teammate at random, this is a good thing because ___________"

That's not what I said bruh.

You know who tends to not read the thread? Scum.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I mean, I'd give Moon the benefit of the doubt for now, since he knows how his role works and it looks so bad that if he can't explain it later it is because he is scum.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

That's not what I said bruh.

You know who tends to not read the thread? Scum.

I mean, unless you're incredibly confident in your read, you're more likely to hit town than scum, and using it "Just because" is not incredibly compelling.

Is there some kind of rider that makes this more than "I am shooting my ally because I can"?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

SirSamVimes posted:

This post is trying to look like it's creating content, without any content in the post itself. Kind of scummy, unless there is more effort coming in the immediate future.

I assumed this was a rude joke. Was this serious?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sure I'll analyze this post of merk's. This post was made in an effort to seem like he's contributing to scum hunting without actually providing any content of his own. Even after this, his posts are mostly calling other people townie which is an easy way to look like you're participating without really saying anything

Oh forgot this part. ##vote merk

As other have said, you didn't look at the posts I made immediately after my request which do exactly what I was asking the thread to do. Why not? Now that you've been pointed to these posts (by more than one person), what do you think they say about my alignment?

Also, what do you think of Meinberg's read on Moon?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Merk made a post that was an attempt to be seen scum hunting without actually scum hunting.

This might be a fair analysis for one of my posts in isolation, but this fails to appreciate that post in context of the two posts after it. It's concerning that you're playing this tune even after multiple people have pointed this out.

So I'm going to ask you directly: How do my posts analyzing Moon and Meinberg impact your read of my alignment?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

The Lord of Hats posted:

I mean, unless you're incredibly confident in your read, you're more likely to hit town than scum, and using it "Just because" is not incredibly compelling.

Is there some kind of rider that makes this more than "I am shooting my ally because I can"?

How does this help us determine anyone's alignment?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

The Lord of Hats posted:

I should've read this post before I asked the question. How is what he's doing scummy? Please explain this vote more.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'm at work, but imagine that I posted a blingee that says

I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING

In the pink glitter font.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Atoramos posted:

ughh I lost internet immediately after that post.

WeLandedOnTheMoon, I disagree that Vimes was being scummy in his Quandary vote when in the very same post as his vote he states if we actually did vote quandary the game is over.
Yes, because trying to get players to drum up content for the earlygame is a scum move. Especially when merk's next post follows his own advice and analyzes a post. Made before your post, and you never revisit it. As someone who's done the same thing to drum up content early-game, I feel this is a disingenuous post.

I want to highlight to everyone that this post by Atoramos does a great job of sitting on the fence in the whole Moon, Vimes, Narc, and merk discussion so far today. There are outs to vote literally every single one of us in this post that he can build for later. :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
well yeah. thats how you build up hype for the sequel posts, leave threads that keep em hanging on for more. duh

• Locked thread