Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Siva68 posted:

This shark cam is relaxing, I love learning about fun real things from this thread. I also purchased Elite and BF4 cause of this thread. Star Citizen thread keeps delivering!

It's real good. California Academy of Sciences has a nice shallow reef cam too:
http://www.calacademy.org/explore-science/shark-lagoon-cam

Wafflz posted:

I am now watching the sharks, it's better than diablo2 speedrun

e: nevermind that, loving penguin cam!

Penguin cam is also good and cool! Penguins are awesome and if you're ever in Tampa Bay go to the aquarium and pay the man $60 to hang out with a penguin and hold him in your hands. It's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Eonwe posted:

i want to be a lord of hell

Eonwe irl

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Siva68 posted:

This shark cam is relaxing, I love learning about fun real things from this thread. I also purchased Elite and BF4 cause of this thread. Star Citizen thread keeps delivering!

Edit: Sea Otter cam!

Otter cam was down :(

but it told me I otter watch another cam :D

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Lowtax posted:

I absolutely do not care how they handle things at Reddit, I just care about how things are done here, and I will not allow personal attacks, because I do not want this forum to sink to the level of reddits discourse and community.

Thanks. I really hope we can get back to more important topics of discussion like how the new bird module will get us exotic birds in our space rape barns.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wafflz posted:

Kelp forest cam is pretty relaxing too.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wafflz posted:

anotter cam you mean

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gawain The Blind posted:

Okay so I just spent the last two hours catching up with this thread and I think what makes me cringe the most is how serious the language is. People have aligned themselves with Derek Smart. Like there are all these factions moving around in the shadows, just waiting to destroy this video game about spaceships. A cabal made up of various leaders of industry like Lowtax and Derek Smart, sitting around a table in a dark room, nefariously rubbing their hands together Snidely Whiplash style and twirling each other's mustaches while they gaze down on a printed jpeg and plan their next evil scheme.

These people literally think they are at war.

Yes. That's how things are. It's glorious.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Dolvak has this super hard-on for trying to show Beer is a horrible monster and liar, and every time he does Beer calls him out on it and he retracts it but then comes back later to repeat the dance. I don't know why, but I assume it's because he's really bad at everything.

heh yeah, I remember back when he decided to dance with me. It was a disappointingly short dance.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Kelp forest cam is pretty relaxing too.

kelp forest cam is definitely good. star citizen delivers again.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
From a sociological aspect, this whole event is beyond interesting. These groups of people, who have essentially attached their entire identity to expensive drawings of spaceships in a video game which may never come out, have created an entirely new reality they inhabit, one where anything that conflicts with their worldview is immediately dismissed and chased away hostily. Any suggestions or insinuations that go against their groupthink is usually never addressed, and simply written off as propaganda by a boogeyman, either Derek Smart or Goons in general, because it's much easier to label somebody as a member of an evil enemy group whose sole intent is to just be evil for some reason.

The concept of getting angry at somebody because of their opinion on a video game totally eludes me, but to some people, it seems to define their lives.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

I hope this is the guy that will design SC's economy

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Scruffpuff posted:

I think it's all my fault - I speculated on how an actress who is so bad at her job even today, continued to get work when she was younger, and ostensibly even worse at it, being a newbie and all. My speculation apparently snowballed. This is a cautionary tale about why you don't think out loud on the internets.

I feel so dirty. Scruffy, even.

Well its not like she got much work when she was younger.

While most activities people get better the more they do it. Acting is another beast. A bad actor can actually get worse as time marches on, bad habits gets solidified, being genuine dies off, and frustration and misunderstanding takes over.

Looking at her work, its what you would expect a no talent high-school theater student would act. As others have pointed out her facial expressions don't get past her noise (and its not because of botox), the directing is not helping her (its fun to think it was Chris that directed her stuff). It is clear she does not understand her char, or the lines she says. She constantly emphasize the wrong words, puts pauses in the wrong spots, and her cardinal sin is that she plays the emotions. All her "acting" is her acting the emotion, she is supposed to be afraid so she acts afraid, her char is sad so she acts sad. Instead of understanding why her char is sad, and what it means for her to be sad, she does the external actions, something you would see a Mime perform.

The really sad part, is that you can see the "training"

bad acting work shops, and other community acting class, influence her work. And its not like you can have fun with her acting because she has no personality and no charisma. Most bad actors/movies are fun to watch because they have some of these qualities, you can see them trying. Sandi is not trying to be better, she actually thinks she is good. I could go on about what she is doing wrong and how she could improve....

:yarg:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

From a sociological aspect, this whole event is beyond interesting. These groups of people, who have essentially attached their entire identity to expensive drawings of spaceships in a video game which may never come out, have created an entirely new reality they inhabit, one where anything that conflicts with their worldview is immediately dismissed and chased away hostily. Any suggestions or insinuations that go against their groupthink is usually never addressed, and simply written off as propaganda by a boogeyman, either Derek Smart or Goons in general, because it's much easier to label somebody as a member of an evil enemy group whose sole intent is to just be evil for some reason.

The concept of getting angry at somebody because of their opinion on a video game totally eludes me, but to some people, it seems to define their lives.

hell, people on SA, a site basically dedicated to making fun of dumb things on the internet still get mad at people over video games and we are supposedly a bit more self aware

but yeah,

Star Citizens are like the 9/11 truthers / chemtrail conspiracy theorists of video games

it owns

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

1500 posted:

She constantly emphasize the wrong words, puts pauses in the wrong spots

But it works so well for Shatner and Walken...

ed: just realized these are the two actors they should have included in this game that would have redefined it. What a wasted opportunity.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 8, 2016

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

1500 posted:

bad acting work shops, and other community acting class, influence her work. And its not like you can have fun with her acting because she has no personality and no charisma. Most bad actors/movies are fun to watch because they have some of these qualities, you can see them trying. Sandi is not trying to be better, she actually thinks she is good. I could go on about what she is doing wrong and how she could improve....

Speaking as someone with no acting talent or experience whatsoever, I unironically want you to continue.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lowtax posted:

I've seen it before on a smaller scale years ago when I was involved (and obsessed myself) in the community of an MMO before it came out. The craze of the community didn't survive the release (well, the beta, which was much more complete than SC), which made most people realize it wasn't at all the game they had built up in their minds.

So, yeah, their best move is to never, ever finish SC if they want people to keep buying ships.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Eonwe posted:

hell, people on SA, a site basically dedicated to making fun of dumb things on the internet still get mad at people over video games and we are supposedly a bit more self aware
Oh definitely, I wasn't trying to claim similar things didn't happen here, I was just commenting on the idea that these weirdos at Reddit and SC have created communities based entirely on that attitude and way of thinking (or not thinking). It's just such an amazingly giant mass of concentrated delusion and hostility to anybody who dares go against any popular opinion they have.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Truth.

And don't even get me started on those weirdos who don't even have avatars.

Says the J4G.

Eonwe posted:

Star Citizens are like the 9/11 truthers / chemtrail conspiracy theorists of video games

It's really the only reason I'm interested now, although it's more the echo chambers that interest me. There's a curious phenomenon where groups of people claim to be informed, but are actually misinformed. When given a correction, their standpoint doesn't change, but they qualify the information given as skewed, or some other reason for it being wrong.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 8, 2016

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Countercultures do seem to be downgrading in coolness factor:

Beatniks
Hippies
Goths
Juggalos
Furries
Star Shitizens

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

spacetoaster posted:

And don't even get me started on those weirdos who don't even have avatars.

I've just been hoping someone will buy me one. (edit: if I shitpost enough)

I want to make a sort of video collage for posterity of some of the best JPEGs and possibly GIFs to come out of this epic series of threads (you guys did know this wasn't the first star citizen megathread right?) but I haven't been saving them religiously as they come up the way professional internetters usually do. I have been working on a custom soundtrack.

I was wondering if we could get a couple pages of people posting their all-time favorite stuff they've seen.

Amarcarts fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 8, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

Oh definitely, I wasn't trying to claim similar things didn't happen here, I was just commenting on the idea that these weirdos at Reddit and SC have created communities based entirely on that attitude and way of thinking (or not thinking). It's just such an amazingly giant mass of concentrated delusion and hostility to anybody who dares go against any popular opinion they have.

yeah for sure, I just meant to say that if people who have a bit of self-awareness about it still get caught up in it, then it almost makes sense that these other communities would end up with something as cult-like as it has become

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Differo Cathedra posted:

Speaking as someone with no acting talent or experience whatsoever, I unironically want you to continue.

Same here, I find it interesting to see what the "rules" of acting are, and what makes a bad actor or actress.
My uncle's an actor and he has good stories about poo poo actors he's worked with.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Scruffpuff posted:

But it works so well for Shatner and Walken...

ed: just realized these are the two actors they should have included in this game that would have redefined it. What a wasted opportunity.

lol ya, but both of them were consistent with it, they basically created their own dialect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lul-Y8vSr0I

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

UCSD's Giesel is the only one I recognize. I toured it when considering prospective PhD programs.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Thanks. I really hope we can get back to more important topics of discussion like how the new bird module will get us exotic birds in our space rape barns.

Or if the Space Birds will be able to flock together to form a Gestalt Space Whale.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Lowtax posted:

during the start of the campaign till late 2013 backers are hopeful that the kickstarter pitch to happen.

the time pass by just those backers fall into these categories

1) enlightened that the scope creep made it less possible to be released
2) sunk cost fallacy backers who are now the cultist
3) meh backers usually those that bought the starter package and does not care
4) new blood, full of hope and naive

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Differo Cathedra posted:

So do I. And there is truth to his words - you frequently see brand new people, who've never acted in their lives, get cast for something out of the blue, and they are better than the veterans. They didn't take classes, or learn special rules, or get inducted into the infamous "I'M AN ACTOR" way of thinking where they mentally separate themselves from everyone else based on their identity.

Instead, they're just told "pretend to do this thing" and they just do that. poo poo, every day I see people acting very convincingly as if they are something they are not, based on whatever title is on their business card.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lowtax posted:

It's just such an amazingly giant mass of concentrated delusion and hostility to anybody who dares go against any popular opinion they have.

What's funny is they think that because Derek Smart posts here, everyone universally agrees and that any counterpoints raised against the SC group think is simply us defending him for their retaliation.

This would also ignore the fact that Derek is mocked several times a day in this thread, let alone elsewhere on the site, and that any differing opinion isn't hidden for no one to see.

quote:

All on a forum that often hides behind a pay "wall", whose members enjoy listening to words from a specific individual of notoriety, and defends it's members against any form of retaliation when they are called out, proof of which is seen in this very thread.

Remember how you guys claim SC fans are in a cult? Makes you think.

The cognitive dissonance these people suffer from must be very strong.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 8, 2016

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've seen it before on a smaller scale years ago when I was involved (and obsessed myself) in the community of an MMO before it came out.
I really believe it's about escapism. I, too, have seen how MMO addicts can act, and the one personality trait that seems to link them all together is a desire to escape their own lives and be some powerful and important character in a fictional fantasy world.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Hey so it seems like Eonwe stopped posting about it, did they let Kimsemus out?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
MMOs are pretty scary sometimes

There are people who have spent six figures on Archeage just doing RMT stuff to get the best equipment. The hand wringing over in-game land was so hateful and real you'd think they were fighting over the family farm.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Hey so it seems like Eonwe stopped posting about it, did they let Kimsemus out?

i posted about it yesterday!!!! they have not

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lowtax posted:

cultish behaviour 101, but this time they can't close the internet doors. It's an open spcae barn, and were going to rape the space sheep :twisted:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Lowtax posted:

I really believe it's about escapism. I, too, have seen how MMO addicts can act, and the one personality trait that seems to link them all together is a desire to escape their own lives and be some powerful and important character in a fictional fantasy world.

That got me thinking - there were several films and animated features years ago, where people got whisked away on whimsical adventures in one fantasy land or another, and all of them had one theme in common, the main character thinking:

"How do I get back home?"

That was practically the entire motivation that moved the story forward. See: Wizard of Oz for a classic example. Now, we have generations of people who look at those same fantasy lands and think:

"How do I get there?"

What the gently caress happened?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unfunny Poster posted:

What's funny is they think that because Derek Smart posts here, everyone universally agrees and that any counterpoints raised against the SC group think is simply us defending him for their retaliation.

This would also ignore the fact that Derek is mocked several times a day in this thread, let alone elsewhere on the site, and that any differing opinion isn't hidden for no one to see.

The cognitive dissonance these people suffer from must be very strong.

its pretty funny because I have no horse in the Star Citizen race other than hoping it remains hilarious

if it doesn't come out - thats hilarious
if it does come out - goons grief people and thats hilarious

they ignore the fact that people like me were like...nah i dont care about wheelchair kid or the threat assessment guy, we are all Derek Smart and we all agree with him about everyone

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

alphabettitouretti posted:

Star Citizen: The game is almost entirely here! Except for the litany of things left to do

:lol:

I was just thinking about it and how many star systems were they planning for SC? 25? 50? And it took them how long to get Crusader finished for the PTU? Even if they use prefabbed assets and don't hand model everything, it's still going to take forever for them to get all those star systems fleshed out.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Keeping up with this thread and the SC circus in general has directly impacted the time I have to play Elite, so in a small way CRoberts has won. I'm so mad.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Eonwe posted:

i posted about it yesterday!!!! they have not

Oh wow, sorry I see it now. What a shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

BigglesSWE posted:

With this, SA has officially delivered. I can now officially say that I will never be sorry I payed to register to an Internet forum.

all hail the lorax er, lowtax

• Locked thread