Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Madcosby posted:

going to lose money?

Yeah, I guess they lost it already. I mean, they could still theoretically ask for a refund still, right? Did they back out of the refunds yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

grimcreaper posted:

Thanks for the pic of that bottle, next time im at Bevmo or something ill see if i can find it. How does it compare to Makers Mark?

Original batch Jefferson was absolutely phenomenal but the newer batches seem more in line with maker's, quality-wise. Still a nice departure from how sweet maker's can be, although I would still take knob creek over it most days

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
Did I miss all the good parts? All I see is a bunch of dorks looking up poo poo on R/DerekSmart and trying to read it over his voice

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

aleksendr posted:

They should sell cheap "Verse Vodka" in a starship shaped bottle to fuel drunken purchases.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

:perfect:

Edit: Whoops

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Grinning Goblin posted:

Yeah, I guess they lost it already. I mean, they could still theoretically ask for a refund still, right? Did they back out of the refunds yet?

A substantial portion of the game is already released and available to all backers so I sincerely hope they think they got their $30,000's worth

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Grinning Goblin posted:

They're being cagey about refunds now. I considered mine lost when I gave it over, and it's been quality entertainment so far, so gently caress it.

Plus I got a towel in a non-game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

death .cab for qt posted:

Original batch Jefferson was absolutely phenomenal but the newer batches seem more in line with maker's, quality-wise. Still a nice departure from how sweet maker's can be, although I would still take knob creek over it most days

Care to recommand a brand of cigars to go with each ? I know smoking kills but its so nice to indulge in the finer things from time to time.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Please tell me the bottle is plastic ?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

aleksendr posted:

Please tell me the bottle is plastic ?

Yep! It's cheap and will get you drunk. That's all you need to know.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

aleksendr posted:

They should sell cheap "Verse Vodka" in a starship shaped bottle to fuel drunken purchases.

"Any and all sales are final while drinking 'Verse Vodka. You are not even entitled to get drunk as its a 15 proof vokda made in the heart of china. With child labor."

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Derek News: Derek just said "Shitizens" on the youtube livecast. It made my day.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Somebody please tell me this got recorded. I only caught the part where he was talking about his own game. Not as much fun.

You can rewind the stream, dunno maybe 90 mins back or more.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
i want to live in the stimpire

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

Somebody please tell me this got recorded. I only caught the part where he was talking about his own game. Not as much fun.

should be able to link it directly after the stream ends

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"They want me to say 'Fart Shitizen'"

"Is this the level of humor we're getting to?"

No, friend. This is the level of humor we've always been at.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The SC community reminds me so much of the Free Republic forum. Rabidly fanatical to their cause despite pesky things like "facts" and "reality", paranoid, willing to turn on one another at the slightest hint that their neighbor isn't 100% devoted to THE CAUSE, etc.

It's bizarre but a little understandable when it involves politics like the Freepers because public policy is something that can have a tangible effect on folks' daily lives. But to see this over a god drat space video game... It's mostly amusing, but a little chilling.

Also it makes for a nice Sandi = Sarah Palin analogy, which I think is pretty fun.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/774515878/star-citizen-ship-share-for-co-op-and-future-clan

quote:

Star Citizen Ship Share. ships in game are super expensive so i am starting a pool to gather large ships 3 man or larger co-op ships we can share and use within the community and future clan or guild.

lethalitygaming.com sign up is free then get voice comms teamspeak3 so we can work together and share.

Risks and challenges

i play alot and am not greedy i will share and let others fly. sign up at lethalitygaming.com and download voice comms teamspeak3 to chat with others in community

Seems legit.

skaboomizzy posted:

It's bizarre but a little understandable when it involves politics like the Freepers because public policy is something that can have a tangible effect on folks' daily lives. But to see this over a god drat space video game... It's mostly amusing, but a little chilling.

Generally your freepers, or the misinformed, have a completely different value system to anything you'd consider 'reasonable'. Echo chambers form around pieces of shared knowledge and are defended by people who believe that the very idea of dissent is disloyal; Loyalty becomes the most treasured concept, so proving loyalty is literally the only reason.

T'internet has provided a hell of solid breeding ground for this kind of thing.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 8, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Hey Citizens, nobody email Sandi Gardiner that Derek Smart rant, you hear me? If you do and she listens to it the next poor idiot slow at the plastic cup coffee machine in Manchester is getting fired.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Moogle posted:

Goons Ruin Everything.

Fortunately the crazy keeps coming thick and fast, so we don't have time to devour ourselves in an orgy of sadbrains and edginess. Or we can innoculate the thread with an intensive course of recipes, kittens and parp.

This is true. We have sinned most egregiously, and must do penance, as we have forgotten the blessings and beneficence of The PAAAAAAAAAAARP! Lower your heads, brethren, and think upon that.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
lmao the discussion they're having on reverse the verse about how they have no loving clue what's going on or how to fix the bugs.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This guy knows his way around an internet argument

We shouldn't take ourselves so seriously guys. This is a comedy web site, after all.

No one tell that guy about Barry Crimmins then :ssh:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
They're basically saying "Get a refund"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A Neurotic Jew posted:

lmao the discussion they're having on reverse the verse about how they have no loving clue what's going on or how to fix the bugs.

quote:

JH: And what’s one that drove you crazy. One that pushed you right to the edge made you question whether you were in the right business?

JP: Oh God. Every now and then we’ll have issues on the backend where just something will cause the stability to barf all over itself and you just can’t find steps for it. You’re like “I know this happens. I can’t figure out what I’m doing to get it to happen”. Those end up being the most frustrating because you, a lot of the times if the programmers can’t figure out what’s wrong with it, they’ll send it back to you asking for more information and you’re sitting there going “I..I…” Like we have some server crashes that are happening right now that nobody knows how to get them to happen we just know that they happen because we can see them crashing and I know what like, the I can get the information from the backend in regards to what the server logs looked like and the callstacks. We don’t know what’s actually causing them, it’s so frustrating because I want to help make the game more stable for the players and nobody knows what’s causing them to happen

:allears:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

You can rewind the stream, dunno maybe 90 mins back or more.
Thanks man-- catching up on it now.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
what they're saying on reverse the verse right now only makes sense if it's a rerun from three years ago.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

aleksendr posted:

You seriously beleive they are so bad than as a 250+ staff studio with lets say 20M$ budget they cant shart a singleplayer Cryengine mod with spaceships ?

I know idiocy has no limits, but even if only 10% of what they create is good, such a large staff can churn so many man-hours that you should have enough for an average 20h game in there ? They shifted the goalpost for SQ42 so close than now even a blind man could score.

You keep defaulting to a weird "They SHOULD be able to develop this I mean wtf" argument without actually taking into consideration everything else we've seen or more importantly haven't even seen. Like the engine is still a mess of people clipping through ships, their flight model is completely hosed with ships being almost uncontrollable at time, the ships cant be customized, the fps side of the thing is poo poo and yet they will be able to unfuck all of this and develop a game 20-30 hours long with a poo poo ton of movies in it and loving c.robert micromanaging everything so its absolutely "perfect". All in less than a year.

Even if the game was an actual Crysis clone or mod instead of a frankensteined shithouse its becoming, they wouldn't be able to get it out in a year.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Berious posted:

I just played a couple of rounds of BF4 in some prison / hoth map which I don't even know the name of. Actually got like 5 or 6 kills because I discovered the noobtube. Game is ridiculously fun - just in the sweet spot for me between sim and shooty mans . Thanks for recommending it GORF :)

Anyway played that, had some dinner then came back and Derek is still clowning CIG. :lol:

Ya, I started playing BF4, because of GORF, the game is a lot of fun.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Guys! We've been sooo wrong about PvP and pirating!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Still like 6 pages behind but as someone who works in video game QA this is not that uncommon. Generally there's only one or a small handful of individuals who have the technical knowledge and then a truck load of button pushers. When probably most of your QA is based around looking at ship interiors for z-fighting and geo gaps why would they need to learn about client or server crashes?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

1500 posted:

Ya, I started playing BF4, because of GORF, the game is a lot of fun.

I need to reinstall BF4. This thread is making me realize I miss it.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Can someone give me a time stamp where DS starts addressing Sandi specifically in this youtube roundtable thingie?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

We all code down here...

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You keep defaulting to a weird "They SHOULD be able to develop this I mean wtf" argument without actually taking into consideration everything else we've seen or more importantly haven't even seen. Like the engine is still a mess of people clipping through ships, their flight model is completely hosed with ships being almost uncontrollable at time, the ships cant be customized, the fps side of the thing is poo poo and yet they will be able to unfuck all of this and develop a game 20-30 hours long with a poo poo ton of movies in it and loving c.robert micromanaging everything so its absolutely "perfect". All in less than a year.

Even if the game was an actual Crysis clone or mod instead of a frankensteined shithouse its becoming, they wouldn't be able to get it out in a year.

This is the problem. It's absolutely doable to poo poo out a single player FPS with some flight pew pew but it's not possible for CIG to poo poo it out. They've got CRoberts and Sandi dragging them from pillar to post all day.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Shes got that fist a-ready for a pumpin in to your butt. ButtSnow HurtFlakes will be the new flavor announced in '2 weeks'

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Belzac posted:

Still like 6 pages behind but as someone who works in video game QA this is not that uncommon. Generally there's only one or a small handful of individuals who have the technical knowledge and then a truck load of button pushers. When probably most of your QA is based around looking at ship interiors for z-fighting and geo gaps why would they need to learn about client or server crashes?

You might have missed that one of their QA guys is the only one that can get the server logs, but as someone who works in networking, there's something vital that they missing in their 'looking at the logs'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

Can someone give me a time stamp where DS starts addressing Sandi specifically in this youtube roundtable thingie?

Rewind about 1 hour 57 mins from this post timestamp.

• Locked thread