Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thirding Truecaller. It is a nice app although it does pop up at stupid times like when you get off the phone with someone you actually know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've never had to bother with one until now, but it looks like I need a good call blocking app. For some reason, it's not native in Android, and it's not part of Motorola's light-skinning.

It seems to closest thing I can do is add the number as a contact, then send them straight to voicemail...but that's not good enough, because they leave voicemails. For the record, it's a collections agency for whoever had this number before me, and no amount of telling them they have the wrong number works.
Google Dialer can now block calls without the contact workaround, there's an option for it, Settings -> Call blocking.

You can't stop it going to voicemail because your network handles that, now your phone. Call your network and ask them to block the number.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Does anyone know of an app which lets me buy magazines and read them on an android device which has an interface which is not complete shi?. Google Newsstand is completely worthless, pages take forever to load, and the pages aren't even full screen. Zinio is alright, but for some retarded reason no app i've tried has a continuous scroll option so you have to look at each page individually and fumble around with the zoom all the time. Even turning it landscape gives you two pages at once which is useless. Why the gently caress do none of these apps have the functionality of even the most basic PDF reader? I know e-magazines are kind of pointless but still you would think I could turn my tablet sideways and scroll through the drat pages... this kind of thing really baffles me because it would take little effort to add this basic feature which surely anyone taking the most cursory look at an app can see it needs, the book readers for comics and things all have it too so why wouldn't an app specifically designed for reading magazines?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't, but I've heard ads for Texture (used to be Next Issue), which does the "Netflix for magazines" thing.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nim.discovery

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tunga posted:

You can't stop it going to voicemail because your network handles that, now your phone. Call your network and ask them to block the number.

You can answer and hang up immediately, which is what I think a lot of apps do.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tunga posted:

Google Dialer can now block calls without the contact workaround, there's an option for it, Settings -> Call blocking.

My phone has the Moto dialer...I search for Google or Android Dialer and I get links to the Hangouts dialer...not the same thing, right? That's like a VIOP dialer? Is there somewhere I can sideload the apk?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
App goons, are there any apps for phone screen mirroring to pc, that aren't samsung related, got a sony with a busted screen?

I can use a OTG/mouse but it's not always convenient.

I have mightytext for the basics, but be good to do a bit more

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

My phone has the Moto dialer...I search for Google or Android Dialer and I get links to the Hangouts dialer...not the same thing, right? That's like a VIOP dialer? Is there somewhere I can sideload the apk?
I can't remember if it's available for other devices but it's on Play as Phone or you can get it from APK Mirror. It looks like it might be Marshmallow only.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tunga posted:

I can't remember if it's available for other devices but it's on Play as Phone or you can get it from APK Mirror. It looks like it might be Marshmallow only.

Sadly, I think it's Nexus only.

EDIT:

quote:

This app update is supported on Nexus, Android One and Google Play Edition devices running Android Marshmallow and above.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Maybe those of you who have suddenly got less surveys should double check that location history reporting is still enabled. Sometimes it gets disabled during a major upgrade.
fichmeched again

Yeah, this worked and i'm getting surveys now.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

rotaryfun posted:

What's the best way now a days to figure out what's keeping your phone awake? My wife and I both have Samsung Note 4's and the last few days she said that her battery has been significantly more drained by the middle of the day. I asked her to send me a shot of her battery meter and am curious if there's a go to method to find out.

Not rooted.

Hers:

Mine:

LastInLine posted:

It's a pickle for sure. It looks like either it's a permissions issue (something needs access to something that's being denied and it's just hammering it) or maybe a broken sync somewhere. It could also be something that starts in the background so it might be difficult to just track after a reboot.

If there are too many apps to track that she has which you don't, then the next best choice is to look at the recently updated list in the Play Store to see what's updated in the last week or so, maybe something there broke it?

At the very least just waiting for the constant wake to appear then looking at the Recents list in the app switcher might point to the offending app (which would hopefully be the last thing she activated). If I had to point at stuff I'd look for third party apps that access services (like maybe a Twitter client run amok) or something that would obviously have a need to sync regularly. Lastly something that would need to access a service in the background, like a GPS app. I mean, if it's keeping the device awake when you're moving in and out of other apps it would need to be doing something that isn't ephemeral (like, say, accessing the camera). It would have to be trying to access a data connection or some sensor.

Thought I'd come back and give an update on this. Wife gave up on removing all her apps and seeing what happened when the issue persisted and just asked me to factory reset her phone. No problem, told her to make sure her pictures were backed up to dropbox and did the deed. Next day noticed an immediate difference from the previous days with regard to her battery life and the phone actually being more responsive. Her group messages would lag behind severely. This prompted her to installing all the apps that she could remember and we were right back to before the reset. Told that it was obviously something she's installing.

She gets frustrated and decides to go through all her apps. Turns out, the default amazon apps app that comes preinstalled isn't the app they want you to use anymore and it tries to install amazon underground. For whatever reason, the app wasn't completing it's installation so the amazon app was simply attempting to to install it over and over into infinity. Causing the massive slow downs that she would have and big battery drain. Anyway, it's been disabled and we've moved on. All is well in my house again. Oh and I've also forbid her to swap her font to comic sans. She's a grownup for fucks sake.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 8, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

rotaryfun posted:

Oh and I've also forbid her to swap her font to comic sans. She's a grownup for fucks sake.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
You're a grownup, which is why I, your husband, have decreed that your phone must look like this.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

LastInLine posted:

:stare:

Also the comic sans system font, classic Samsung.

bronin posted:

I was gonna say, first step is changing the system font.

It's a joke chill out. Don't care and I'm sure she has happily set it back. I'm glad that in the android apps thread even
when I initially brought up the issue, the font is all that has mattered to you guys.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 8, 2016

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I've been using Nokia Z Launcher and it's pretty fuckin' rad, nice change from Nova/Apex. Not sure how long I'll use it but it seems different and fresh while still being functional enough.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

It's a joke chill out. Don't care and I'm sure she has happily set it back. I'm glad that in the android apps thread even
when I initially brought up the issue, the font is all that has mattered to you guys.

I'm glad you tracked it down. Amazon Underground of all things.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Has anyone used AutoMate? It's a program that turns your phone into an Android Auto clone. Seems cool, but I don't use my phone much while driving, so I haven't had a chance to play with it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitspice.automate

It does maps (swipe from the left for nearby places like gas stations), phone calls, controls your audio, and gives you Google notification style info related to driving (weather, speed, etc).

One thing I've noticed is that the quick dialer doesn't support multiple phone numbers, just the first. So, I can call home, but not my mom's cell phone.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 9, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Uthor posted:

One thing I've noticed is that the quick dialer doesn't support multiple phone numbers, just the first. So, I can call home, but not my mom's cell phone.

Can you use voice actions to say "call mom cell"?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Can you use voice actions to say "call mom cell"?

Yeah, that works.
"Call Home"
"Home or mobile?"
"Mobile"

(I have a contact named "Home" with both a home number and a cell number.)

"Call Home mobile" did not seem to work.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Question about Out of Milk.

I want to share a list with my live-in GF so we can keep track of our pantry and freezer items, but in the pantry list section I don't see any option to share... Only shopping lists can be shared, near as I can tell.

Am I stupid and not seeing it, or can only shopping lists be shared?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Question about Out of Milk.

I want to share a list with my live-in GF so we can keep track of our pantry and freezer items, but in the pantry list section I don't see any option to share... Only shopping lists can be shared, near as I can tell.

Am I stupid and not seeing it, or can only shopping lists be shared?

If you're both signed in to the same account you should be able to press sync to send it. In my experience out of milk's syncing/sharing is unreliable garbage

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

uPen posted:

If you're both signed in to the same account you should be able to press sync to send it. In my experience out of milk's syncing/sharing is unreliable garbage

2nding this, use a better app. I use Wunderlist.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Our Groceries. Sharing is reliable and instant in my experience.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Out of Milk recently got a major overhaul and the sharing seems to be stable/consistent now, for what it's worth.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I use Nine for email. My dad and I share the same name, and it has his photo synced as my account picture. I try to keep him listed as "dad" in my contacts to avoid this but it must have pulled it from Facebook at some point because I use other apps to sync contact photos from there. I have gone in to the Contacts menu for Nine and changed the photo of the 'me' contact listed up top but it still shows his photo all over the app, and it's his thumbnail that shows up when I email things to myself.

Any idea how I can track this down and fix it?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Teeter posted:

I use Nine for email. My dad and I share the same name, and it has his photo synced as my account picture. I try to keep him listed as "dad" in my contacts to avoid this but it must have pulled it from Facebook at some point because I use other apps to sync contact photos from there. I have gone in to the Contacts menu for Nine and changed the photo of the 'me' contact listed up top but it still shows his photo all over the app, and it's his thumbnail that shows up when I email things to myself.

It might just be an issue of the photo being cached in various places and needing the appropriate time for the changes you made to the picture to propagate. (I actually have no idea though).

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Teeter posted:

Have you seen the movie face off

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm not sure if this is a Calendar thing or if it's more a general Android thing, but during the work week I have a lot of calendar appointments that include conference calls. Most of these include dial-in numbers in the form of:

1-866-555-1212,,123456#

Typically this would dial the number, wait a couple of seconds, then enter the conference code. But for whatever reason, when I open the appointment in Calendar, only the first part of the number if clickable, so I always have to do the second part manually.

I know Android understands commas because I've got my own personal conference bridge saved as a contact in that format and it works properly, but the problem seems to be in the conversion of phone numbers to links. Is there anything I can do about this (use a different Calendar app, etc)?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Tots posted:

It might just be an issue of the photo being cached in various places and needing the appropriate time for the changes you made to the picture to propagate. (I actually have no idea though).

I may have gotten it taken care of, hopefully it doesn't revert. My google contacts had like 5 different versions of myself that I joined together (I've done this many times in the past, it seems). I've usually left it blank but I put my own photo up on that this time. I also signed in to my email via browser on PC and set a contact photo there. Somewhere along the line is seems to have assigned it to me so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it sticks.

Between the nightmares of online accounts, things like digital medical records and voting registration, or opening each other's mail, sharing a name just doesn't seem as cool as it must have been in the 1950's.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Teeter posted:

Between the nightmares of online accounts, things like digital medical records and voting registration, or opening each other's mail, sharing a name just doesn't seem as cool as it must have been in the 1950's.

I'm an "IV", and have a son. Grandpa is gone so we've got a a III, IV, and V all in the same area. Oh, and we don't do middle names, so that is the only differentiator.

Nine times out of ten it isn't a big deal, especially since only one of us is really connected. That other time, loving pain in the rear end. Health insurance took 2 months to get the suffixes correct because their form didn't have "V"s in it.

Bonus, hangouts doesn't understand suffixes, so any conversation with a suffix shows as two contact icons. I've reported it several times and finally fixed it by moving to Messenger for SMS.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Is there a way to stop Gmail app from popping up notifications for e-mails (IMAP account) that I have loooong ago read and deleted on another computer? Always had this problem but right now I'm getting so many work e-mails that it's driving me crazy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/01/12/deal-alert-get-enpass-password-managers-9-99-pro-license-for-free-today/

If you, for some reason, don't like (or trust) LastPass, you can get Enpass Pro for free on Android today.

Apparently it's just like LastPass, except it saves in the cloud (or your desktop) and currently doesn't have autofill. The devs said something about adding autofill in Q1 2016 though.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/01/12/deal-alert-get-enpass-password-managers-9-99-pro-license-for-free-today/

If you, for some reason, don't like (or trust) LastPass, you can get Enpass Pro for free on Android today.

Apparently it's just like LastPass, except it saves in the cloud (or your desktop) and currently doesn't have autofill. The devs said something about adding autofill in Q1 2016 though.

I'm going to hijack this post to rep KeePass which is always free! It's multi platform, free, opensource, and I sync it to Google Drive and it's always treated me very well. I'm sure the other solutions are great too, but each has their niche.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Tots posted:

I'm going to hijack this post to rep KeePass which is always free! It's multi platform, free, opensource, and I sync it to Google Drive and it's always treated me very well. I'm sure the other solutions are great too, but each has their niche.

+1'ing this - recently switched from LastPass, to 1Password (which I hated) and now using KeePass. The syncing is great, and Keepass2Android even supports fingerprint, which 1Password doesn't have.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

BoyBlunder posted:

+1'ing this - recently switched from LastPass, to 1Password (which I hated) and now using KeePass. The syncing is great, and Keepass2Android even supports fingerprint, which 1Password doesn't have.

Wait, what when did Keepass add fingerprint support? Not seeing anything.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Red Warrior posted:

Wait, what when did Keepass add fingerprint support? Not seeing anything.
Keepass2Android is an app on the Play Store that supports Keepass databases. That's what picked up fingerprint support, not Keepass itself: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=keepass2android.keepass2android&hl=en

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I love lastpass. it well earns the subscription

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I gave Enpass a try yesterday because of the promo. I didn't get very far with it because importing stuff from LastPass was unreliable. Multiline notes in my logins were turned into a single sentence because line breaks were converted into spaces. Secure Notes were also parsed as logins when Enpass has a bunch of different types of Secure Notes already built in. It's a pretty basic mapping that would benefit from some type checking instead of just a simple mapping (there are values that can be checked for to determine whether it's a site login or a secure note).

The native Linux client is nice, as is browser extension integration. The mobile app isn't as slick as LastPass - no autofill yet but apparently it's being worked on.

I went and left them some feedback but until the import functionality improves I'll stick with LastPass. I don't want to have to verify that all 400-something items in my vault made the transfer with no data loss :gonk:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Karthe posted:

Keepass2Android is an app on the Play Store that supports Keepass databases. That's what picked up fingerprint support, not Keepass itself: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=keepass2android.keepass2android&hl=en

Where is the fingerprint support? Been through the settings and can't find it.

EDIT: \/ Awesome. Thanks

Rap Game Goku fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Athenry posted:

Where is the fingerprint support? Been through the settings and can't find it.
Whoops, you have to join the Beta program to get the preview with fingerprint support: http://keepass2android.codeplex.com/