Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

webmeister posted:

In non-Carlin news, I've really been enjoying In Our Time lately.

Another BBC show worth checking out is Great Lives. You've got the presenter plus one or two guests talking about a person they admire/find important/whatever. I found it looking for stuff about Antonio Gramsci, but there are shows about musicians, artists, politicians.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qxsb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

What are people's thoughts on the Haitian Revolution episodes so far? I've been enjoying them, Mike is at his usual levels of excellence and thoroughness. I'm glad he picked a lesser known revolution as I'm learning a lot and the smaller geographic scope of the island makes the story easy to follow without needing to check maps. So far this is my second favorite Revolutions series, I'm not sure it will top the French series but it is too soon to tell.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Antti posted:

We kid about how long his podcasts could be but this one would actually be over a thousand hours long.

On the other hand it might be the defining boxing analogy of the 20th century.

At that point he might as well make it a book and forever irritate internet historians alongside Jared Diamond. Hell, thank him for no reason on the dedications page.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

At that point he might as well make it a book

It just wouldn't be the same without Carlin's verbal tics.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

mike12345 posted:

I don't know, it has the same thing I dislike about other american radio shows from NPR. I know it's :eurosmug: as hell, but the only way I can describe it is as "jolly indulgence in simplistic worldviews". It's like my aunt invites me over for some tea and cookies and a blanket, while I listen to her feelgood stories of folksy wisdom & simple truths. That being said he has a nice voice.

Same. I don't know why he has to wrap them up with some "perhaps the most frightening thing of all is something that exists in all of us.... [loneliness/fear of the unknown/whatever this week's podcast is sort of about]". The stories are good enough on their own, no need for it. But he lives in the same part of MA that I'm from and I like that he talks about a bunch of stuff from around those parts, so I'll probably try to catch one of his live things if he does them again, I was out of town when he did some this last Fall.

I couldn't remember how I found Lore, and assumed it was some friend-of-a-friend's project that I subscribed to to be a bro, but I just checked out his website and his latest blog entry is "how I launched a top-20 podcast", so I'll assume more live readings aren't out of the question v:shobon:v

Kings Of Calabria fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 5, 2016

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding the time constraints of In Our Time, I like how the mp3s have extra stuff that can't fit into the radio slot, like the recent Chinese legalism episodes tangent into how Mao viewed it and a further look into how legalism never really went away it just got subtler.

I'd pay good money for a 'two hours more please' for a lot of in our time episodes, but it's strength I'd it's rapid fire topic change every week.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Regarding the time constraints of In Our Time, I like how the mp3s have extra stuff that can't fit into the radio slot, like the recent Chinese legalism episodes tangent into how Mao viewed it and a further look into how legalism never really went away it just got subtler.

I'd pay good money for a 'two hours more please' for a lot of in our time episodes, but it's strength I'd it's rapid fire topic change every week.

Yeah there are definitely a lot of episodes where it feels they only manage to scratch the surface of what's out there, though I guess academics have a way of doing that! The recent-ish episode about Jane Austen's Emma was a good example - having read the book for high school English I knew a lot of it, but there was a huge amount around the topic that just didn't come up at all.

But you're right, I guess the idea is to give you a 45-minute introduction to a topic and push you towards your own reading/research if you find it interesting!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Back To 99 posted:

That's very interesting what you are about to say, but we're out of time. Thanks for listening to In Our Time :)

And now some bonus minutes from in our time:

Well, I thought that was all very interesting, but now I'd like to talk about the modern day Tristan and Isolde where they made it into a lesbian romance...

Oh, hello, here's the tea! *podcast abruptly off*

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
It's the most pleasingly British thing possible, I think.

"Well I mean we could sit here debating our passion and life's work in front of an engaged audience, but on the other hand, tea!!" :britain:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

mike12345 posted:

Another BBC show worth checking out is Great Lives. You've got the presenter plus one or two guests talking about a person they admire/find important/whatever. I found it looking for stuff about Antonio Gramsci, but there are shows about musicians, artists, politicians.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qxsb

I'm not sure if he still does it but a while back Parris would insist the guests justify their chosen lives as being truly great. Someone picked Graham Greene and the way he treated his wife ruled him out, making I guess that episode of Great Lives non-canon.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mojo Threepwood posted:

What are people's thoughts on the Haitian Revolution episodes so far? I've been enjoying them, Mike is at his usual levels of excellence and thoroughness. I'm glad he picked a lesser known revolution as I'm learning a lot and the smaller geographic scope of the island makes the story easy to follow without needing to check maps. So far this is my second favorite Revolutions series, I'm not sure it will top the French series but it is too soon to tell.

I'm really liking them. Time will tell but so far I actually like it more than the French Revolution since there are fewer factions and players to keep straight. I got pretty confused at points during last series and had to relisten a couple times to get things straight.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
New podcast recommendation time.

Mystery Show

Starlee Kine has a knack for solving mysteries. The sort of mysteries that can't be Googled. The sort of mysteries that have only mattered to one person. But through her investigations she makes it matter to you, too. One episode revolves around a woman who saw her favorite celebrity Brittany Spears in a paparazzi photo holding that woman's underperforming debut novel. All she wants to know is: did Brittany read it? And if so, did she like it? Starlee is determined to find out.

This right here might be my favorite episode of a podcast ever - Episode 3 of 6 in the first and currently only season of the show. It involves a simple, custom-made belt buckle that a boy found in a gutter more than a decade ago, having sat dormant all that time as the prized possession of his knick-knack collection. And he wants to get it back to the owner.

It's in a very NPR podcast style, and at first seems a little twee, but definitely give it a chance. It stretches this thread title slightly, but I made the thread so it counts. Highly, highly recommended.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 8, 2016

Hazborgufen
Apr 11, 2005
New episode of Common Sense is up. He does a pretty good job explaining the situation in Oregon, which I thought was interesting. Basically it boiled down to them being idiots who will eventually surrender when they get hungry and cold while also explained the sentiments behind their actions and why there is some sympathy in the region for their grievances if not their actions.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

I'm glad she's taking this long-rear end hiatus, instead of just churning them out since her show appeared on a bunch of top 10s / most downloaded lists. The last two episodes were cool and fun and all, but dragged more and weren't as satisfying as the earlier ones. It's a really unique format that requires a lot of ground work and waiting, hope she's knocking out more great ones. Yeah it's twee which could be annoying, but if you already listen to some NPR-ish podcasts you'll have enough of a filter built in where it's not that bad. I agree about the belt buckle episode, that was one of the most touching endings I've heard, and I'm a big softie who cries at storycorps and stuff all the time :P
Just throwing this out there as a +1 recommendation, everyone should listen to it.

Hazborgufen posted:

New episode of Common Sense is up. He does a pretty good job explaining the situation in Oregon, which I thought was interesting. Basically it boiled down to them being idiots who will eventually surrender when they get hungry and cold while also explained the sentiments behind their actions and why there is some sympathy in the region for their grievances if not their actions.

What's this guy all about? The show description says "politically independent" but I'm assuming anyone who has strong enough opinions to launch a podcast swings pretty stronly one way or the other. I've heard this mentioned a few times but hour+ episodes are tough to sample, if you can tell me what his thing is and his strong spots I'd appreciate it.

Kings Of Calabria fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 8, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Mystery Show is pretty amazing; I decided to give it a shot a while back when the host was a guest on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and have never regretted it. +1 to that recommendation.

Also that ending theme gets stuck in my head for weeks at a time and I am okay with this.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Kings Of Calabria posted:

What's this guy all about? The show description says "politically independent" but I'm assuming anyone who has strong enough opinions to launch a podcast swings pretty stronly one way or the other. I've heard this mentioned a few times but hour+ episodes are tough to sample, if you can tell me what his thing is and his strong spots I'd appreciate it.

Carlin seems to purposely try to slip out of political definition as not to alienate anyone, but if you had to pidgeonhole him I'd say left-leaning libertarian? He's pretty states rights-y, but also talks about the need for regulation in the financial sector. From the time I've listened I'd say his pet issue is privacy vs security. He had an "I told you so"-esque episode after the Snowden leaks started coming out.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Maduo posted:

Carlin seems to purposely try to slip out of political definition as not to alienate anyone, but if you had to pidgeonhole him I'd say left-leaning libertarian? He's pretty states rights-y, but also talks about the need for regulation in the financial sector. From the time I've listened I'd say his pet issue is privacy vs security. He had an "I told you so"-esque episode after the Snowden leaks started coming out.

Can we get him to interview Greenwald or vice-versa? Imagine how many hours of content would be created

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maduo posted:

The reason he was like that about the Snowden stuff is because he never forget about the dozens of previous leakers, the way most of the media and public has.

Hazborgufen
Apr 11, 2005
Left leaning libertarian sounds about right. He hates corruption and i

Maduo posted:

Agreed with this. He can come off like a little bit of a kook with some of his ideas, but he acknowledges it ahead of time. Plus he seems very thoughtful rather than ideologically impertinent or smugly dismissive like the stereotypic libertarian.

I think one of his big issues aside from privacy is corruption of politicians leading to his distrust of government.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mojo Threepwood posted:

They are top tier Mike Duncan. He's really maturing in presentation and mastery of material while also finding a confident voice or pov.

French Revolution should have been 200 episodes. poo poo is dense and he barely did any side podcasts on interesting topics.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Thanks dudes I'm gonna give Common Sense a try on my commute :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In our time is great.

It's unique in that he can get three top tier academics on. No other podcast really can do this. Well I mean it's a radio show.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Mystery Show is pretty amazing; I decided to give it a shot a while back when the host was a guest on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and have never regretted it. +1 to that recommendation.

Also that ending theme gets stuck in my head for weeks at a time and I am okay with this.

Tripling and quadrupling this recommendation for Mystery Show, especially the Belt Buckle ep. I've gotten friends who normally don't care about podcasts to listen all the way through the series.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Not sure I've seen it in here, but Thinking Sideways is a good "mystery" podcast as well. It's not really "whodunnit" as much as "let's talk about this weird thing that happened and all the weirdness surrounding it." I've learned about a lot of weird murders, disappearances, and washed up bodies since I started listening a while back.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Tripling and quadrupling this recommendation for Mystery Show, especially the Belt Buckle ep. I've gotten friends who normally don't care about podcasts to listen all the way through the series.

The Belt Buckle really is the standout episode of the series.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Maduo posted:

This sounds about right. He also takes the time to have some idea what he's talking about :captainpop: and uses history a lot for understanding things. I find that even when I disagree entirely with him, his perspective is well-thought out and interesting so it's good disagreement. It's the kind of honest intellectual disagreement that barely seems to exist anymore. Even his occasional batfuck ideas are usually interesting, at least to me.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
He's also not necessarily "small government" like a lot of libertarians are. One of his more recent podcasts was about how one of the only ways out of the climate change crisis would be the government throwing huge piles of money at it, because there's almost no chance private industry will bother with it sans outside stimuli.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah he's libertarian in the sense of people should have the maximum possible freedom within society and it's none of your business what people do with their lives, not in the sense of government should die. I remember that as small-L libertarianism but I don't know if that's still a thing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dan's always arguing in good faith; common sense drove me towards the left from a Mississippi upbringing because even when I don't agree with him he's reasonable and polite and eventually I ended up agreeing with him on points. Also I had heard Hardcore History first so I wasn't just going to dismiss the politics of someone I respected intellectually.

I added Mystery Show to my podcast player and listened to the Brittney episode (and also put To Feel Things on my amazon wishlist :unsmith: ). I know it's just me, because I answer phones all day, but I was a little put off (just a tiny bit) by how the sleuth draws call center people into personal conversations but it's not a big deal at all and I'm sure there were other conversations where the rep didn't engage and it just didn't go on air. It was also a nice bit of set up because it showed her ability to engage with strangers and gave a sense that she succeeded in getting through Brittney Spear's public persona where other people would have failed.

Edit: Also I wanted to contribute a podcast, it's part of the This Week in Tech (TWiT) family but of the Three I listen to (Their main show, their security one, and this one) it's easily they're most historical/diverse piece

Triangulation

Triangulation is about a guest speaker who's done something important in Tech. The most recent episode is about Lee Felsentein, a guy who got interested in computers in the 50s and 60s, back when, as he puts it in the interivew, you basically were enthusiastic about the idea of computers because you didn't have one, not even time shared access to a terminal. Lee goes on to pioneer the Personal Computer. Here's the first paragraph of his wikipedia entry:

Wikipedia posted:

Lee Felsenstein (born 1945) is an American computer engineer who played a central role in the development of the personal computer. He was one of the original members of the Homebrew Computer Club and the designer of the Osborne 1, the first mass-produced portable computer.

If you want to hear stories about the development of computing and tech and learn about the lesser knows behind the great advancements try Triangulation.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 9, 2016

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

Not sure I've seen it in here, but Thinking Sideways is a good "mystery" podcast as well. It's not really "whodunnit" as much as "let's talk about this weird thing that happened and all the weirdness surrounding it." I've learned about a lot of weird murders, disappearances, and washed up bodies since I started listening a while back.

Just to jump in here, I used to listen to Thinking Sideways, but then I started to pick up on the hosts' mental tics and it started to really grate on me after a while. They pick such interesting topics, and they actually do good research, but almost every episode, they just spend the ending shooting down any theory that isn't "Yeah, this person's dead" or the most simple, boring, uninteresting answer to the mystery. They are so private about their personal lives, I have absolutely no idea what their fields of expertise are, but I end up thinking that they're talking out of their rear end anytime they discuss a slightly more in-depth topic, like how to fly a helicopter, or the mechanics of knot-tying.

It's a bummer, because I wanted to like Thinking Sideways, and listened for months, but their super-hard tie to Occam's Razor makes for a mystery show without much fun mystery. I was listening to last season's finale of Sword and Scale, which I have other problems with and have detailed in this thread before, but he started interviewing some people about crime and that sort of thing, and I was like "Oh, these people sound cool and fun! I wonder who they are!"

The Thinking Sideways crew. :smith:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
By listening to a bunch of history podcasts, it's been fun filling in the mosaic of the political landscape of the world in the second half of the eighth century.

Offa's relations with Charlemagne. The Vikings growing in power. Venice also emerging as player. Charlemagne's relationship with Pope. The Pope's relationship with the Constantinople. Charlemagne's relationship with Irene. Irene's relationship with Harun al-Rashid. Also, the Battle of Talas, aka that bigass battle between the Abbasids and the Tang Dynasty.

Actually, none of the podcasts I've listened to talked much about the last one and general Arab/Chinese relations before the Mongols showed up. I'll take recommendations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Melvin Melvyn Bragg has got you bro.

Edit: And I'm in no way being snarky about 'let me google that for you' but it's not like I knew this was going to be there. I'm just starting to build the impression that this show, which is decades old, has done a lot of poo poo.

Also I just realized that this podcast, while only 43 minutes long, has a huge reading list. That + audible = as much information as you could want, in audible form.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 11, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
History on Fire has a new episode that opens with a boxing metaphor, but it's really fun to listen to. It's a two part episode and the second episode is going to be released in 2 weeks, which is very un-Carlin. But the most fun "tick" I have noticed is that every time he covers an event/anecdote that was probably an inspiration to GRRM when writing ASOIAF he says "that's right out of Game of Thrones" even though it's exactly the other way around.

Echo Chamber posted:

By listening to a bunch of history podcasts, it's been fun filling in the mosaic of the political landscape of the world in the second half of the eighth century.

Offa's relations with Charlemagne. The Vikings growing in power. Venice also emerging as player. Charlemagne's relationship with Pope. The Pope's relationship with the Constantinople. Charlemagne's relationship with Irene. Irene's relationship with Harun al-Rashid. Also, the Battle of Talas, aka that bigass battle between the Abbasids and the Tang Dynasty.

Actually, none of the podcasts I've listened to talked much about the last one and general Arab/Chinese relations before the Mongols showed up. I'll take recommendations.

Maybe you could list the podcasts you are currently listening too ? Sounds interesting (I guess one of them is the British History Podcast)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I thought people here were already familiar with the BHP and Byzantium podcasts. But between those two alone, there's a lot that makes 750-810 CE feel very connected. Charlemagne shows up in every story and I'm not even listening to anything where he's the main focus.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I just gave the new Presidential podcast a try (literally called Presidential). The first episode, on Washington, is now out. After listening to a reporter talk about how big of a frontiersman Washington was over the sound of crickets, after every mention of the war was annotated by re-enactor musket shots and horses clopping along, I gave it up. I might come back to it later, because podcasts on Washington seem to have terrible track records, and they'll bend excessively hagiographical anyway. It's a WP podcast and they intend to cover all 44 presidents during the year, so it'll at least have a better schedule than Ten American Presidents, which apparently had an episode on Colin Powell for some bizarre reason.

So yeah, this podcast might not be for you, if you have been meaning to get into that Rick Perlstein book everyone talks about and can't wait to listen to a Whistlestop episode on Mario Cuomo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antti posted:

after every mention of the war was annotated by re-enactor musket shots and horses clopping along, I gave it up.

This doesn't bode well for the LBJ episode having a constant backdrop of Fortunate Son and helicopter chop.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

This doesn't bode well for the LBJ episode having a constant backdrop of Fortunate Son and helicopter chop.

Maybe they'll also use For What Its Worth and Fixing To Die Rag.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Actually good and expensive music would be fine, but we all know it'll be a gently rendered acoustic guitar version of Hail to the Chief (that is actually the theme song of the podcast).

The podcast really feels like it was made in 2010.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Antares posted:

Can we get him to interview Greenwald or vice-versa? Imagine how many hours of content would be created

I could have sworn I heard him interview Greenwald on his show a couple years ago, but a quick search turns up nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Brian Dunning going after PBS pledge drives and giving minilectures about Schrodinger's Cat now. It's like he's run out of interesting weird stuff to be skeptical about
Also a whole episode about shutting down comments on his website

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 26, 2016