Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cyphoderus posted:

Thanks, guys. I ended up finger-bending it back into place and it writes now, but unless I keep it nearly straight up from the paper the ink will cease flowing really easily. I think I'll just wait until I'm abroad or something to pick up a new nib – importing here is super expensive and I haven't found anywhere, in the net or otherwise, that sells standalone Lamy nibs. I think I'll go for the 1.1 italic nib, as the 1.5 turned out to be way too thick for my taste.

I certainly can't promise anything for shipping, but they're $13 USD with Goulet Pen Company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

NeurosisHead posted:

I certainly can't promise anything for shipping, but they're $13 USD with Goulet Pen Company.

Sorry, I meant I haven't found anywhere nationally. Shipping and customs will set me back over twice that amount, unless I buy from Ali Express.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Where are you.? Someone could forward?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cyphoderus posted:

Sorry, I meant I haven't found anywhere nationally. Shipping and customs will set me back over twice that amount, unless I buy from Ali Express.

I'm guessing you're in China; Ali Express knows I would want US shipping but they sell Xiaomi phone cases which I've only every heard of being used in China. Shipping from me (Midwestern US) to you would be ~$12 USD it looks like; Goulet's shipping will be similar. So on the one hand, yeah you're going to double the cost of your nib on shipping. On the other, steel nibs or nib units from most other companies cost around $25 USD, so you're basically in line on average pricing that way.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I'm 100% sure you can source a Lamy nib from HK via eBay or something fairly easily.

I'm also 75% sure that you can score a perfectly acceptable local knockoff.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I'm in Brazil, actually, which is super anal about holding things up at customs and charging prohibitive importation taxes.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
A lamy nib is small enough to ship in a standard letter. I'm sure somebody here would be able to post one to you. They're silly-cheap here in the UK. I even have a spare Lamy M nib that's been sitting in the back of a drawer for over a year that Royal Mail would post there for £2.25.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 7, 2016

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Soylent Yellow posted:

A lamy nib is small enough to ship in a standard letter. I'm sure somebody here would be able to post one to you. They're silly-cheap here in the UK. I even have a spare Lamy M nib that's been sitting in the back of a drawer for over a year that Royal Mail would post there for £2.25.

And I have a 1.5mm italic that's sitting around, doing nothing. I decided I liked the Safari as a practical everyday pen and put the XF nib back in it.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

FYI, using a Noodler's Ahab with a Goulet XF nib as a daily driver is a great combo. I've been through a few fills of Edelstein Topaz and I'm going to swap it out for something new before I go to bed... maybe a green...

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Has anyone dealt with Karas Kustoms before? I saw Goulet was adding their metal pens and the idea of a raw brass or copper pen that I maybe later add a patina to sounds like an interesting idea.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Solkanar512 posted:

Has anyone dealt with Karas Kustoms before? I saw Goulet was adding their metal pens and the idea of a raw brass or copper pen that I maybe later add a patina to sounds like an interesting idea.

SBRE Brown reviewed them about a year ago. He spoke highly of them on the design side. Schmidt nibs, so nothing too fancy there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcMuQkPrO5Q

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

NeurosisHead posted:

SBRE Brown reviewed them about a year ago. He spoke highly of them on the design side. Schmidt nibs, so nothing too fancy there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcMuQkPrO5Q

Thanks for the link. I'm going to have to wait as the full copper INK is $195 but I have a Monteverde Invincia Stylus that is scratched and I think I'm going to take it to bare metal and see what's up.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The cheap F Vanishing Point from Amazon came in today, and it inked up and writes like a dream.

Thanks again for posting that deal.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Happy to help (feed someone else's addiction)!

I actually skipped the VP and waited for the one of the Custom Heritage 912s to drop super low and got that instead.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I decided that since my Safari had finally gotten empty, I should probably use a different ink in it, rather than the Poussière de Lune which I've been feeding it for like, five years. In so doing, I have decided that the Lamy converter is basically the best twist converter — especially when you want to do a really thorough flush for a pen. Probably because of how much length they have free in the pen's body, the actual twist knob is comically long, and instead of being knurled like most are, it's got two flat sides. That's way easier to keep twisting when your hands are wet. Plus, despite being 8 years old, it's still smooth as hell, so that certainly helped. It was a helluva lot easier than trying to flush out my Platinum, at the least. Plus, there's no way to actually unscrew the whole drat converter — the little pegs keep it from rotating in the pen, and the actual plunger mechanism is a press-fit into the converter body.

Well, that'd be great, except obviously after years of use, there's ink behind the plunger. It's kinda a pain in the rear end to actually properly disassemble the whole thing, which is great until you want to clean up those few drops of ink that migrated.

Really, I wish more twist-converters used the same knob style as the Lamy. That and the little pegs solve my only real issues with the drat things. Too bad the little pegs wouldn't really work with a lot of pens, since then the section would have to protrude even further into the body than just the threads do.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

grack posted:

I actually skipped the VP and waited for the one of the Custom Heritage 912s to drop super low and got that instead.

Good lord, you ain't kidding on the Custom Heritage 912 prices :stare: and flat-top with Rhodium trim is extremely my jam design wise too.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Good lord, you ain't kidding on the Custom Heritage 912 prices :stare: and flat-top with Rhodium trim is extremely my jam design wise too.

:hfive:

I tried a friend's 912 before and it pretty much checked all my boxes - wide barrel, light weight, springy nib, flat-top and silver/rhodium trim. I was hoping that some of the special nibs (stub or music) would drop down super low but I can hardly complain about $74 for a soft-medium nib with a CON-70 included. Hell, that's the price for the Japanese market version of the 91 and the 912 has a bigger nib and converter included. The VP was really tempting as well but it was too heavy for me as I have arthritis in my hands.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

grack posted:

:hfive:

I tried a friend's 912 before and it pretty much checked all my boxes - wide barrel, light weight, springy nib, flat-top and silver/rhodium trim. I was hoping that some of the special nibs (stub or music) would drop down super low but I can hardly complain about $74 for a soft-medium nib with a CON-70 included. Hell, that's the price for the Japanese market version of the 91 and the 912 has a bigger nib and converter included. The VP was really tempting as well but it was too heavy for me as I have arthritis in my hands.

I don't see it on amazon though? I like the CH 912 but :10bux:

I guess I'll add it to my endless wishlist then.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_st?keywords=pilot+912&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apilot+912&qid=1452310268&sort=price-asc-rank

Edit: If you wanna get one make sure you buy from the "More Buying Choices" page because they seem to link to random nib sizes otherwise.

grack fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 9, 2016

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

grack posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_st?keywords=pilot+912&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apilot+912&qid=1452310268&sort=price-asc-rank

Edit: If you wanna get one make sure you buy from the "More Buying Choices" page because they seem to link to random nib sizes otherwise.

And the PO nib option I wanted is not on sale :argh:

Thanks anyways will hope for another sale someday.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Alder posted:

And the PO nib option I wanted is not on sale :argh:

Thanks anyways will hope for another sale someday.

$150 for that nib still seems like a good deal. I wanted that one extremely bad, but went with the fine.

Forums poster grack is now responsible for two spontaneous pen purchases in the last few days. The monster.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Oh god I got some new poo poo and wanted to try out my new inks and I slipped and my hands are just covered in Ama Iro. Normally I wear gloves when doing refills so this was mega stupid.

Why couldn't it at least have been some cheap garbage color

:negative:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My Man Shran posted:

$150 for that nib still seems like a good deal. I wanted that one extremely bad, but went with the fine.

Forums poster grack is now responsible for two spontaneous pen purchases in the last few days. The monster.

I just want everybody to blow as much money on enjoy this hobby as much as I do :saddowns:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tulip posted:

Oh god I got some new poo poo and wanted to try out my new inks and I slipped and my hands are just covered in Ama Iro. Normally I wear gloves when doing refills so this was mega stupid.

I was green for days after doing the same thing with Shin-ryoku.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Tulip posted:

I got permanent blue ink on a white shirt yesterday, (2k feet of altitude increase is more than enough to make a pen squirt a bit!)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The click mechanism on the VP is so good.

I'm clicking that thing like the guy from GoldenEye but without the twirling.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

grack posted:

Wow, that's about 50% off for me even after shipping and customs. Time to try that WA nib.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Will the VP leak while retracted?

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

QuantumNinja posted:

I've never had it leak, even after using it on several flights.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

QuantumNinja posted:

the seal's as good as a cap, at least when new. i've been running around with one in my pocket for a few weeks now and i've stopped even caring that it's there.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

QuantumNinja posted:

The VP is designed that the nib is still pointing upwards when using the pocket clip so no, leaking while retracted isn't an issue.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Mr. Despair posted:

I got permanent blue ink on a white shirt yesterday, (2k feet of altitude increase is more than enough to make a pen squirt a bit!)

Before you write it off, try carbona ink and marker remover. If it's a bulletproof it's shot but otherwise this stuff is pretty amazing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Good news, you can still get a cheap Pilot CH 912, but only Extra Fine or Course (Pilot's Triple Broad). Uh, nothing in between those two sizes, though.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Need some insight here: had a ~4 year old Cross Affinity that I quite liked, but the plastic barrel was cracking and falling apart. Sent it into Cross with $10 for maintenance and they ask if it's a 'sentimental item' in case it's a better solution to simply replace the pen instead of fix it. As I understand it, they don't make the Affinity anymore, so they sent me an Aventura. Looked it up and list price is vaguely comparable, but it feels waaaaay cheaper. Did I get hosed? Does anyone have an Aventura they love/hate?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm not going to say you got "screwed" but there's definitely an issue. Companies will normally replace a discontinued product with something with a similar current MSRP. However, MSRPs tend to rise with inflation so it's reasonable to think that Cross didn't provide a pen with the same quality as your Affinity.

That said I'm not entirely sure what you could actually do about it at this point.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Buy a better pen. Buy several better pens. Also: some nice new ink for those pens.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Is there a relatively inexpensive version of the Vanishing Point or other FP for one-handed use?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Premature ejacula- posted:

Is there a relatively inexpensive version of the Vanishing Point or other FP for one-handed use?

Relative to a lot of other pens, the VP is inexpensive.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Premature ejacula- posted:

There are steel-nibbed VPs you can get from Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Wanted new ink, couldn't decide what I wanted, just ordered about 10 or 12 samples with a few of the "surprise me" options from Goulet. I just want some really fun inks and thought that would be the best way to try a bunch