Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
My opinion on the topic is thus:

All races should be able to adopt the doctrine of Now and Forever. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
This week's HoI IV dev diary is about................ radio!

quote:

Gives you information on enemy units in the area. The better your decryption technology is versus their encryption technology the more info you can see (such as exact numbers, division types and roughly what battalions make up their divisions).

That's a pretty elegant way to model e.g. Bletchley Park.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Some space 4x ramblings:
I've been playing Distant Worlds (Protip: don't) and a little MoO2 (with the ICE mod/patch) and been reminded that almost all (or maybe all) space 4X suffer from a complete lack of "rubberbanding" mechanics. And by that I mean stuff like HoIIV badboy points, monarchy points and diminishing returns on pouring them all into tech levels, overexpansion penalties etc etc. It's just snowball central the moment anyone gets a leg up and then it's either a long rear end grind to click all the stars, or over really quickly (depending on map size / some game design choices).
It's very rare to have "several" wars with anyone let alone "fair" matchups (the AI can certainly kick your rear end, but mostly due to huge AI buffs). Perhaps fine in that old school... multiplayer? oriented design. There's just no challenge late game once the snowballing starts, because everyone starts out on equal footing and it's *very* rare for the AI to also snowball simultaneously with the player (I think I've had that happen all of two times playing MoO2, where the galaxy ended up split in 2 late game between me and a AI empire).

That or it's to remove the need to actually develop a good diplomacy AI, the Distant worlds AI is both laughably bad and exploitable (which might be a good thing, nothing worse than a terrible AI that is also opaque as hell).
The Diplomacy AI is something I feel EUIV has really managed to make both competent and clear to the player over the latest expansions, and also enabling "communication" with the AI (like which provinces you want out of a war, favor system etc etc) so I hope Stellaris includes that too.
Adding onto Snowballing is probably how tech is balanced, in this genre there's usually a loving massive difference between someone with near-starting-beam/laser weapons and someone rocking Plasma cannons. Sorta like stomping natives with 18th century troops in EUIV, except it's much easier for a nation to end up behind and have few ways of recovering (usually spy mechanics) - research bonuses are usually *very* good (looking at you Psilons). In *theory* you can have some sort of asymmetrical tech matchup that's also fair, like a industrial empire pouring out 10 ships for every sci-fi super ship, but that's a pretty thin line to balance.

Number two is lack of species and factions (more modern stuff than Moo2 tries to add Civ-like city-states and the like, but not much else), makes the galaxy feel very tiny and... centralized. Seems like Stellaris will certainly recitify this though - hopefully resulting in a more "alive" ("versimilitude") galaxy, and maybe even one where every war isn't some TurboHitler genocidal one-shot-or-bust affair. I really think the "cultural" layer will be a nice addition here, Distant Worlds actually got some of this - where previously invaded and defeated factions can rebel and start a "civil war" within your empire, but it's mostly them taking their conquered planets and trying to restart their old empire - pretty easy to both prevent (lots of garrison soldiers/troop transports) and defeat (because they don't get much of a starting fleet). Not exactly looking for Victoria 2 levels of rebel whack-a-mole, but certainly something there to have empires be "layered" in depth (also vassals/federation mechanics).

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 8, 2016

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Hopefully there are intelligence countermeasures to enemy radio, like video

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Enjoy posted:

Hopefully there are intelligence countermeasures to enemy radio, like video

As we all know, video killed the radio star.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Empress Theonora posted:

This week's HoI IV dev diary is about................ radio!

That's a pretty elegant way to model e.g. Bletchley Park.

It is remarkably hard to get Alan Turing facetime in WW2 videogames, despite his substantial role in winning the war.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dibujante posted:

It is remarkably hard to get Alan Turing facetime in WW2 videogames, despite his substantial role in winning the war.

He gets to be his own tech team in DH. :unsmith:

I actually can't remember whether that's also true in standard HOI2.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Dibujante posted:

he is pretty high on my cool list so I'm sure he'll appear in HOI eventually

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

podcat posted:

Glorious Turing leader portrait for use by potential Technocratic Britain???

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

podcat posted:

Would be cool if Marian Rejewski could make it, too...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Autonomous Monster posted:

Crossover DLC with Stellaris, Turing's codebreaking computer has a small percentage chance of becoming sentient and turning upon its masters.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Autonomous Monster posted:

If this happens I may even buy HoI4

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrSunshine posted:

Crossover DLC with Stellaris, Turing's codebreaking computer has a small percentage chance of becoming sentient and turning upon its masters.
"The machine was meant to defeat the Nazis, instead it became Hitler's greatest disciple!"

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"The machine was meant to defeat the Nazis, instead it became Hitler's greatest disciple!"

https://youtu.be/KhXVCKrwUIY

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Can't believe that in HoI4 you can just click a button and RADIO JUST HAPPEns. Why not put in the smallest bit of effort and have us have to set the precise frequencies, code schedules, and transmission timetables for all of our signal companies???

loving casuals

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Paradox clearly needs to include super-science in HoI4, now that they've included super-science (canals) in EU4. Atlantropa is a must.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Can't believe that in HoI4 you can just click a button and RADIO JUST HAPPEns. Why not put in the smallest bit of effort and have us have to set the precise frequencies, code schedules, and transmission timetables for all of our signal companies???

loving casuals
We need codec calls. I want to discuss movies with Hitler.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 8, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We need codec calls. I want to discuss movies with Hitler.

Hitler turns out to be Decoy Octopus, but Decoy Octopus was actually a clone of Naked Hitler, who was a disciple of Kaz Goebbels, himself an opposite-sex clone of Leni "Boss" Reifenstahl, in disguise after the original Kaz Goebbels died, only it turns out that Goring was an insane AI the whole time.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
That actually makes me wonder if a MSF/Diamond Dogs mod would work where you just use the expeditionary forces mechanic to fight in other people's wars for profit.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
In the HOIV, who will teach me how to play in the tutorial?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Paradox clearly needs to include super-science in HoI4, now that they've included super-science (canals) in EU4. Atlantropa is a must.

Just as long as I can make Aircraft Carriers out of Pykrete.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Incendiary bat bombs or nothing!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Japan DLC with a Kaiju national focus

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

SkySteak posted:

Sounds like a job for Turing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

loving casuals

I want a fully working enigma machine in game and you have to encode your orders to your units or decode intercepts if you're the allies.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

SkySteak posted:

The obvious answer is actually Donald Duck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNMrMFuk-bo

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Looked around the web for stuff on Stellaris and noticed a discussion on the stellaris subreddit relating to Fog of War / Hidden information and intelligence which I thought was a pretty interesting... question?

Basically, how much will the player learn at first contact? Will it be a open book with ledgers of statistics on fleet strengths, location of planets / borders / homeworld etc or will you have to work for the information? Like if there's an enclave of say 3 systems far away from the main body of the empire, will the player automatically know that "ah, there's something more over in the direction of space" (like a coherent border stretching off into the TI/FoW) or that the systems there doesn't contain that Empire's homeworld/capitol? Or will you be able to take over / destroy those systems and think you've destroyed that empire until you scout further away? Probably very hard to do in practice without giving away "free" information like that, what with peace-deal maybe taking total empire size into account - could maybe be worked around if enclaves worked more like colonial states in EUIV... still the question of how to deal with their home empire being dragged into the war, but presumably they could theoretically turn down the enclave colony's request.

Plenty of dev diary material anyhow.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Takanago posted:

That actually makes me wonder if a MSF/Diamond Dogs mod would work where you just use the expeditionary forces mechanic to fight in other people's wars for profit.

you think doctors without borders fight in wars for profit?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mans posted:

In the Metal Gear games MSF = Militaires Sans Frontières which is a private military corporation/merc group. The name is, indeed, a play on the real MSF.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Mans posted:

Whenever confusion shows up wrt those acronyms, it amuses me.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mans posted:

and I'm sure a villain can give you a 10 minute monolog about why that is a good idea

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

and I'm sure a villain can give you a 10 minute monolog about why that is a good idea

"We are doctors. Without pain, without hurt, we have no place in the world. You know what produces a lot of pain and hurt? War."

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

"[Enemy ideology/population] is... a cancer on humanity. I am a surgeon, my gun is my scalpel. With each bullet I cut away another cell of the tumour-"

"Give it a loving rest McGee you just like shooting and hookers"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

who is this person

Such a lust for charity

WHOOOOO

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Hey Paradox, I know Christmas is over but I didn't ask for anything.

If you could, please make this a possible event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-British_Union#World_War_II_.281940.29

I was an early supporter of Hearts of Iron 3. I'm not saying you owe me but...

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I was an early supporter of Hearts of Iron 3. I'm not saying you owe me but...

But you kinda are huh?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Groogy posted:

But you kinda are huh?

:ssh:

Don't make me learn how to code/mod!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
"Let me tell you about modding: it's fun and it's easy. You gonna learn all about it." - The Crow (1994)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If Stellaris comes with a good map editor I'll be spending stupid amount of time building scenarios. Hopefully modding won't be confined to editing text files.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Demiurge4 posted:

If Stellaris comes with a good map editor I'll be spending stupid amount of time building scenarios. Hopefully modding won't be confined to editing text files.

Wouldn't be Paradox game if there was fancy tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

If HOI3 pre-orders are a free rub on the Paradox genie lamp I'll take that majestic Turing portrait, tia.