Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

eminkey2003 posted:

Are there any cool documentaries about boy bands or pop stars from the 90s? Late 90s pop music was so big and dramatic (dare I say...larger than life), I feel like its rise and fall would make a great story.

There's actually a pretty interesting one about the Backstreet Boys that was on Netflix a few months back. I think it's called Show Em What You're Made Of.

It's kind of interesting because they touch on the creepy guy that formed them and NSync and ended up going to prison for like tax fraud or embezzlement or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Tenzarin posted:

You know they found him guilty of murdering a reporter in 2005 right? Pretty sure he was a super psychopath.

Uh, notice how the title's called Making a Murderer but the original crime wasn't a murder? The documentary is about the potentially unsound nature of his conviction for murder, dude.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
There was a documentary I saw a few years ago from the 1970s or 1980s. It was a slice of life type doc about a young family somewhere in the U.S. I think the husband worked at a truck depot or similar. There's a part where they throw a small party and smoke marijuana, but beyond that I don't remember much. The doc was part of a series that was put out by an American university. All of them were fairly short. Does it ring any bells?

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 5, 2016

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Looking for really good food documentaries. About preparation, history, anything.

Music docs are rad, too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tenzarin posted:

You know they found him guilty of murdering a reporter in 2005 right? Pretty sure he was a super psychopath.

Guess what the show is about...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

Looking for really good food documentaries. About preparation, history, anything.

Music docs are rad, too.

Have you watched that series on Netflix? I think it's called Chefs Table. I only watched one episode but it was really good. I think each episode is about a different chef and they go into their background, but also delve into their dishes and how they conceived them and stuff.

It's a very well made series from what I remember.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Allyn posted:

Uh, notice how the title's called Making a Murderer but the original crime wasn't a murder? The documentary is about the potentially unsound nature of his conviction for murder, dude.

Does it tell you about how he doused his cat in gasoline and threw it into a bonfire?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
edit: Guys stop talking about the showwwww

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Anyone know a good documentary about Reagan's life, administration and legacy? Ideally critical of it, I guess?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tenzarin posted:

Does it tell you about how he doused his cat in gasoline and threw it into a bonfire?

Gee I dunno, maybe watch it instead of trying to smugly convince those that have that they've been bamboozled?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pootybutt posted:

Music docs are rad, too.

The mind of a chef is really good imo.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Lmao this is rly embarassing

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Actually it does.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm not sure he did it or not. I'm certainly not convinced that he did though, and I think he does deserve a new trial.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I watched "Being Evel" on the History Channel last night. It wasn't as good as the book but was pretty captivating, especially if you grew up in the 70's like I did.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Esme posted:

Anyone know a good documentary about Reagan's life, administration and legacy? Ideally critical of it, I guess?

Check out the PBS American Experience series The Presidents, they have a good one on Reagan: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/reagan/ It's not harshly critical, but does go into controversial topics like SDI, etc. The other docs in that series are fantastic too, they pretty much go from Eisenhower up to Clinton: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/collections/presidents/

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Maybe watch the documentary because then you'd know that my take is even though he was found guilty there's a lot of stuff that leaves me with some reasonable doubt about his actual involvement in the Hallbach murder.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

There was a great documentary that I watched that told the history of ICBMs and space rockets. I cant find it anymore, and there are a ton of documentaries getting in the way of my search.

What I remember is that it didn't have any lame re-enactments, it was all facts and history and science. It moved rather quickly. And didn't have a lame narrator.

The most important thing I remember from it was that it went from ballistics for early guns (muskets and earlier) and then to rockets. It talked about rifling in weapons and stuff. IT was the first time I understood what ballistics meant because of this way that it conveyed the information. Misses and bullets are just riding in front of an explosion.

If any of you could help me find the docu it'd be greatly appreciated.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

There was a great documentary that I watched that told the history of ICBMs and space rockets. I cant find it anymore, and there are a ton of documentaries getting in the way of my search.

What I remember is that it didn't have any lame re-enactments, it was all facts and history and science. It moved rather quickly. And didn't have a lame narrator.

The most important thing I remember from it was that it went from ballistics for early guns (muskets and earlier) and then to rockets. It talked about rifling in weapons and stuff. IT was the first time I understood what ballistics meant because of this way that it conveyed the information. Misses and bullets are just riding in front of an explosion.

Now I also want to see it :)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
It's not exactly what you're looking for, but the episode of CNN's Cold War documentary series on MAD (mutually assured destruction) has a great history of ICBMs, their countermeasures, etc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k43HYXUiseI

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

KoRMaK posted:

Was it a recent doc or an older one? Any idea roughly how long it was? I ask because I did a quick search and found something similar to your description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u157zSQTbg

Not sure it counts as "documentary" being just under 30 minutes but it was pretty informative

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I kept waiting for the moment in The Devil and Daniel Johnston where they reveal that the movie is an elaborate prank on the audience. I struggle to fathom how anyone could see talent there or enjoy those performances. Riight, yeah, the Beach Boys almost measure up to this guy...

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

Esme posted:

Another option is Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States. Looks like you'd be interested in Chapter 8: Reagan, Gorbachev & Third World: Rise of the Right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Stone%27s_Untold_History_of_the_United_States

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ozz81 posted:

Was it a recent doc or an older one? Any idea roughly how long it was? I ask because I did a quick search and found something similar to your description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u157zSQTbg

Not sure it counts as "documentary" being just under 30 minutes but it was pretty informative
I kept running into these too, with "1959" or "1960" or something from that era, and it's not them. It's more modern. It's none from the ATT vault either.

Maybe I should just load up a 16 hr playlist of ICBM videos and go through them until I find it.

Thanks for helping though!

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

I kept running into these too, with "1959" or "1960" or something from that era, and it's not them. It's more modern. It's none from the ATT vault either.

Maybe I should just load up a 16 hr playlist of ICBM videos and go through them until I find it.

Thanks for helping though!

Let us know if you do find it, I am interested as well.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Another State of Mind is fun to have on in the background. Early 80s DIY punks go on tour. Its on the tube.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Electric Boogaloo was pretty fun. Your standard rise and fall story about Cannon Films, an 80s movie shlockhouse responsible for Delta Force, The American Ninja, a bunch of Death Wish sequels, and roughly 55% of all breasts in films from that decade.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Cannon are also responsible for The Wicked Lady" featuring a vicious whip duel between Marina Sirtis and Faye Dunaway, :stare:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

bort posted:

I kept waiting for the moment in The Devil and Daniel Johnston where they reveal that the movie is an elaborate prank on the audience. I struggle to fathom how anyone could see talent there or enjoy those performances. Riight, yeah, the Beach Boys almost measure up to this guy...

Sorry bort

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Pootybutt posted:

I enjoyed Kings of Pastry, Jiro Dreams of Sushi and El Bulli: Cooking in Progress.

Edit: There's also Spinning Plates which was pretty boring IMHO :)

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 8, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Seconding Jiro Dreams of Sushi. It's weirdly engrossing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Electric Boogaloo was pretty fun. Your standard rise and fall story about Cannon Films, an 80s movie shlockhouse responsible for Delta Force, The American Ninja, a bunch of Death Wish sequels, and roughly 55% of all breasts in films from that decade.

The american ninja is a great movie will have to watch this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

The american ninja is a great movie

No it isn't. What a terrible thing to say.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Pootybutt posted:

Looking for really good food documentaries.

The Biggest Chinese Restaurant in the World by Weijun Chen (who did the awesome Please Vote for Me). And “Buffet: All You Can Eat Las Vegas" which looks a bit at Las Vegas Buffett culture are two that come to mind.

After reading the stories about the sights and sounds at Golden Corral there should be a nature documentary there.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Just watched Racing Extinction and the first hour is a brutal hour looking at the mass extinction we're going through ATM, showing the hunting side of extinction and how terrible commercial interests here can be. Seriously one of if not the most depressing thing I've ever seen. Kinda fails with the last 30 mins though where they get manta rays on the banned list of animals to hunt(a really good thing!) but then mainly shows them driving around broadcasting videos of whales and poo poo on buildings.

A worthwhile watch, if you get part way through and want to quit because it's so depressing like I did I recommend watching it all as it does at least leave you with a hopeful message.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

Music docs are rad, too.

Searching for General Tso is on Netflix I think. It's a pretty good one about the history of the dish, who General Tso actually was, and the history of Chinese restaurants in the US in general.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
What's everyone's take on Making of a Murderer? I just started it and know it's getting a lot of hype.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It is infuriating and does a good job of showing the flaws of the justice system and making you understand that defense lawyers who defend people accused of heinous crimes are not, in fact, horrible people.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

What's everyone's take on Making of a Murderer? I just started it and know it's getting a lot of hype.

The core message is that if the man has a bone to pick with you, and you're poor and uneducated, you stand pretty much zero chance of doing something about it. It's a very good documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

It's six hours to long - don't pick a fight with the popo